• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

wwm0nkey

Updated my CEA box art to have a logo on the spine.

34yaedd.jpg

What do you guys think, logo or no logo?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am holding a prototype of the packaging in my hand right now. It doesn't look like that. And it may not be a steelbook, but it's actually a very cool and unique treatment.

wwm0nkey

GhaleonEB said:
No logo. Keep it Clean.
I prefer no logo myself but someone made a good point about it being hard to find by looking at the corner and if you look at it from the front most of chiefs face would be gone.

So if someone here could find a good filler for the middle part that would be cool lol

OuterWorldVoice said:
I am holding a prototype of the packaging in my hand right now. It doesn't look like that. And it may not be a steelbook, but it's actually a very cool and unique treatment.
Hmmm so the one we say before was place holder then? Pictures may be required here :p

GhaleonEB said:
No logo. Keep it Clean.

d[(oo)]Y

OuterWorldVoice said:

It comes with a Gold Retro Lancer, a map of Cyrodil, and a pair of Night-vision Goggles, right?

And the box doubles as a coffee table?

OuterWorldVoice said:
I demand pictures!

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
I prefer no logo myself but someone made a good point about it being hard to find by looking at the corner and if you look at it from the front most of chiefs face would be gone.
It's a custom box art. The person using it would know what it is. I'm a fan of the ultra-clean look, myself.

Frankles: I would pay mad monies for a CEA steelbook, though of course it's too late for such things. But if (when) you do a $150 Halo 4 cat helmet edition, I will pay those monies if a steelbook is included. I'm bummed only Halo 2 got that treatment.

feel

Loving the black spine, but instead of the green and blue logos you should just have HALO COMBAT EVOLVED ANNIVERSARY in a simple and classy sans-seriff font, in white. Unlike Ghaleon, I don't like spineless custom covers tbh, it's a pain to find the box and I like having a title somewhere (not on top of the art, that's for sure, so the spine is perfect for me).

Though I can't get past the incorrect models :(

As someone that enjoys default Reach, and believes bloom increases depth in the headshot weapons in a good way, I will say that missing a shot because of network faults sucks, and the reticle bloom does aggravate it. At least with ZBR, you don't incur an accuracy penalty for the current bullshit.

Louis Wu said:
Heh - sounds like you're having trouble making it to the switch. :)

Grab invisibility, jump on a mongoose, and drive up the stairs on the right. Activate invis, jump up the plant ledges, and activate the switch from below - it's way safer than trying to take out those two Brutes.
I usually grab the Ghost the grunt is riding and ride up to the final switch first. Going up there triggers the Chieftains to spawn and emerge from a door and you can pretty easily splatter them with the Ghost.

GhaleonEB said:
It's a custom box art. The person using it would know what it is. I'm a fan of the ultra-clean look, myself.

Frankles: I would pay mad monies for a CEA steelbook, though of course it's too late for such things. But if (when) you do a $150 Halo 4 cat helmet edition, I will pay those monies if a steelbook is included. I'm bummed only Halo 2 got that treatment.

My Halo 3 steelbook says hello.

...wait, nevermind. It says "Halo". Move along, folks.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
Wait what..

WHAT??

It doesn't look like what? The black cover?

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
Embossing and Holographic shininess confirmed?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Karl2177 said:
For the TU gametype, I'd like to see 85% bloom. Zero bloom would be great, but I still want to see how it would play with bloom implemented more correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but with 85%, the bloom reticle doesn't expand past the outer reticle.

Why would anyone want to have their bullets not go where they put them? Its a precision weapon meant for getting headshots, if the huge ass reticle is over their head and you don't get a headshot then whyyyyyyyy?

No one is taking into consideration how 0% is good for so many reasons, most of all it gets rid of random lucky headshots, besides unrewarding people with good aim.

LAUGHTREY said:
No one is taking into consideration how 0% is good for so many reasons, most of all it gets rid of random lucky headshots, besides unrewarding people with good aim.
What do you mean by this?

GhaleonEB

LAUGHTREY said:
Why would anyone want to have their bullets not go where they put them? Its a precision weapon meant for getting headshots, if the huge ass reticle is over their head and you don't get a headshot then whyyyyyyyy?

I played 0% at HaloFest. It's awesome - on smallish maps.

I would not want a zero bloom DMR in BTB. It would be a death star.

LAUGHTREY said:

I think 0% is fine, but they need to remove the DMR and Nerfle from those matches. Accurate pistol would be so fiiiine, but there needs to be some range limitations to keep it from getting ridiculous, so the pistol is perfect. Otherwise I see MM being a bunch of people poking their heads out by a pixel tagging anyone who tries to move on the map.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
Going to assume he meant it doesnt look like my box art but that it is also a new design rather than this

ivea0y.jpg
PLEASE BE TRUE

Not a fan of the black cover at all. I mean wtf is this a Need for Speed reboot? It's Halo! Gimme color! And the iconic Assault Rifle.

Metal/tin/steel stuff is kind of crappy anyway. I much prefer something like these:

clamShellBox.jpg

bookarts_7a.jpg

anrakuji_dlx_02.jpg

I realize for a huge game these aren't always the cheapest but I've seen similar designs for special anniversary/edition DVDs.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
Halo fan since 2001.

There was a time when Halo was not about bks and tryhards smack-talking online, but about spraying grunts with AR rounds on i04 and watching blood and sparks fly.

Booshka

Rickenslacker said:
I think 0% is fine, but they need to remove the DMR and Nerfle from those matches. Accurate pistol would be so fiiiine, but there needs to be some range limitations to keep it from getting ridiculous, so the pistol is perfect. Otherwise I see MM being a bunch of people poking their heads out by a pixel tagging anyone who tries to move on the map.
Maybe Pistol starting weapon on BTB, but the clip is too small, it is a minimum 5 shot and it only has 8 rounds, that just won't work unless everyone has fun shooting the AR too. DMR starts will be fine on small-mid size maps with no bloom. The range won't be crippling and everyone will be able to fight effectively over the power weapons and power ups (which should be there for Classic++).

In BTB I don't think Zero Bloom will work at all, the Pistol is underpowered, and the DMR will probably be overpowered, so maybe 85% bloom with DMR starts or something will work better. We shall see for GAF customs, since most of the games are 16 players. I am wondering how Headlong will play, there is plenty of cover and corridors to avoid the constant pinging and long range fire of the DMR, so zero bloom may work, but it may still be standoffish. I could see AR/Pistol starts with zero bloom working, with a few DMR's and NR's (if they aren't stupidly overpowered) on the map for both sides.

Letters said:
Halo fan since 2001.

There was a time when Halo was not about bks and tryhards smack-talking online, but about spraying grunts with AR rounds on i04 and watching blood and sparks fly.

I know same here, except it was still always about caving in faces with the pistol. :p

^HAHA YES!

J10

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:

When did Halo become a game of precision? Like 85% of the weapons are either full auto or area of effect. Give everybody a death star and that shit gets boring quick.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
I know same here, except it was still always about caving in faces with the pistol. :p

^HAHA YES!
If there wasn't a time back then when you dropped the stupid pistol on the first chance you got for a big pew pew pew weapon, you're not an oldschool enough Halo fan. :p

v74dy0.jpg

Here's a pic:

It opens up like a medical file folder, even has a sticky note and records inside.

Speaking of which, my favorite DVD case on my shelf is probably the Memento: Special Edition.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there Devo. Steelbooks are cool but sometimes you can do neat things with lighter materials.

Devolution said:
Metal/tin/steel stuff is kind of crappy anyway. I much prefer something like these:

http://www.danfergusdesign.com/sculpture/art/clamShellBox.jpg

http://bookartcollective.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/posts/bookarts_7a.jpg

http://miyakoyoshinaga.com/images/books//anrakuji_dlx_02.jpg

I realize for a huge game these aren't always the cheapest but I've seen similar designs for special anniversary/edition DVDs.

I stand corrected. Learn something new every day. A Halo 3 or Reach steelbook would have been cool, although I think the Reach packaging was superb already.

GhaleonEB said:
That's not a steelbook. That's a tin. Steelbook is not a general term for a metal box, but something very specific. Among the Halo games, only Halo 2 got the steelbook treatment.

I wish Halo 3 got a steelbook.

bananas

Banned
I'm going through a Halo binge right now. Replaying all the games, books, and Legends (pretty much everything but the comics). And I'm trying to do it in chronological order (kinda).

I'm doing the original four games and four books in order. I've read FoR, played CE, read The Flood (ugh...), and am currently reading First Strike.

Then I'm going to play Halo 2, ODST, read Ghost of Onyx, and then play Halo 3.

Then I'm going to get the compilations, Halo Legends and Evolutions out of the way.

Then I'll read/play the "prequel stories." I'll read Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, play Halo Wars, then Halo Reach.

Then I'll start Cryptum. And play/read Anniversary, Grasslands and Primordium when they come out.

I am a crazy person.

The CE AR is probably my favourite automatic weapon of any FPS, it just feels so good using that. In campaign of course. 3 and Reach's pale in comparison.

J10 said:
When did Halo become a game of precision?
Considering the CE's Pistol capable of offing people quickly and having the least amount of magnetism in the series, along with no melee lunging and grenades that required prediction, I'd say from the very start.

J10

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
The CE AR is probably my favourite automatic weapon of any FPS, it just feels so good using that. In campaign of course. 3 and Reach's pale in comparison.

Considering the CE's Pistol capable of offing people quickly and having the least amount of magnetism in the series, along with no melee lunging and grenades that required prediction, I'd say from the very start.

I thought we chalked that up to a lack of playtesting/poor programming about ten years ago. There's zero logic in a mere sidearm being that powerful.

Ramirez

J10 said:
I thought we chalked that up to a lack of playtesting/poor programming about ten years ago. There's zero logic in a mere sidearm being that powerful.

I wish more games had poor programming.

Booshka

bananas said:
I'm going through a Halo binge right now. Replaying all the games, books, and Legends (pretty much everything but the comics). And I'm trying to do it in chronological order (kinda).

I'm doing the original four games and four books in order. I've read FoR, played CE, read The Flood (ugh...), and am currently reading First Strike.

Then I'm going to play Halo 2, ODST, read Ghost of Onyx, and then play Halo 3.

Then I'm going to get the compilations, Halo Legends and Evolutions out of the way.

Then I'll read/play the "prequel stories." I'll read Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, play Halo Wars, then Halo Reach.

Then I'll start Cryptum. And play/read Anniversary, Grasslands and Primordium when they come out.

I am a crazy person.
Frankie loves you I bet.

@Rickenslacker
Halo 3 actually had less magnetism, but because of the slower movement speed and big hitboxes of Halo 3, along with the "sloppy" feel of the aiming, Halo CE is a more smooth and skillful experience in regards to Pistol fights compared to BR fights in Halo 3 and Halo 2 for that matter.

J10 said:

What? The gun being a pistol is merely a skin of the weapon. Its the weapons functionality that matters, not what it looks like.

And a Pistol is obviously much more badass than a rifle. That's just science. :p

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
What? The gun being a pistol is merely a skin of the weapon. Its the weapons functionality that matters, not what it looks like.

And a Pistol is obviously much more badass than a rifle. That's just science. :p

Been confirmed multiple times that the power of the multiplayer pistol was a bug, they beefed it up for campaign in the last hours and didn't have time to go back and fix it for multiplayer.

Tunavi

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Been confirmed multiple times that the power of the multiplayer pistol was a bug, they beefed it up for campaign in the last hours and didn't have time to go back and fix it for multiplayer.
And I'm sure lots of amazing people in this world have been conceived on accident.

FyreWulff said:
Go back and listen to the Jaime Griesemer Sparkast. Not a bug. A unilateral decision by someone who was apparently more intelligent about game design than most
(all)

J10

Banned
Tunavi said:
And I'm sure lots of amazing people in this world have been conceived on accident.

I get your point, but I'm talking more about the role of the weapon in relation to everything else in the sandbox. I see people here lobbying for one utilitarian weapon that would kill any desire to use the majority of all the others. That just seems boring to me.

Top Bottom