• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:
Judging off customs, nobody seems to bother to update their gametypes to use the MM Spartan locking in the first place.

Most people probably assume that no one aside from people who troll like EazyB, want to play as a big dumb Elite.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
I never pick up anything other than a power weapon with a DMR+Bloom anyways, sandbox warriors crack me up.

But guys, zero bloom means no one will pick up the spiker and repeaters anymore! Oh, the humanity.

There's those weapons but there are other ones that are actually viable with the current settings. Shotgun is going to take a hit. Sword too. Though at least they get somewhat bolstered by bleed through, and removal of sword block respectively. Then you have stuff like grenade launcher, concussion rifle which seems pretty well balanced now but once bloom is removed who knows? Pistol was viable against a DMR close range. That probably won't still be the case. Plasma Pistol and Needler will probably get used less as well.

Besides, that's just for us. Some people do like using the AR and the spiker and all that stuff. It's their game just as much as it is ours. The game was balanced around a utility weapon with bloom. Given that 343 seems to have limited tweaks that they can make I think the best solution is to tweak the bloom. Outright removing it introduces other problems.

Sordid said:
Are party restrictions turned off in Squad Slayer now? Quite a few times recently I've been matched with 4 randoms against a a team of 5 :/ it seems every second game has a shit host now too, why is it happy to keep most everyone in yellow connections all game but when it's green it'll swap hosts? Bah, Reach is determined to put me off :*(

You're sure it 4 randoms and not a group of 4? One of the best things about Squad was the restricted party size matching. It will be a shame if that's removed.

wwm0nkey

Hmmm actually it seems they made the Detonator a wired headset now, rather than wireless. Guess that means the Devastator is the only wireless one.

Zero Bloom at Halofest played the way the Halo Gods intended. Although like I have said Halofest wasn't probably the best venue to judge because our group didn't lose a game the whole weekend.

Havok

For Whiskey Media subscribers: Drew and Vinny at Giant Bomb are playing Halo CE's The Maw on Legendary and streaming it out live - they just made it to the reactor.

They're not great at Halo.

83LYb.png

kylej

Banned
stephen08 said:
There's those weapons but there are other ones that are actually viable with the current settings. Shotgun is going to take a hit. Sword too. Though at least they get somewhat bolstered by bleed through, and removal of sword block respectively. Then you have stuff like grenade launcher, concussion rifle which seems pretty well balanced now but once bloom is removed who knows? Pistol was viable against a DMR close range. That probably won't still be the case. Plasma Pistol and Needler will probably get used less as well.

How the fuck is shotgun and sword going to take a hit? If you're up close it's a one hit kill, if you're too far away for a one hit kill, you're not using those weapons effectively. If no blooms means I can shit on little kids who Evade+Sword that's fine with me. I'm sure the incredible concussion rifle balance will be devastated with the removal of bloom too. You're looking for problems that aren't going to occur.

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh cool, lets dong in Bad Kid Field 3 Beta Gym Tan Dong.

Ew dude. No Bad Kid Field. Halo dawg. I don't think I'll even get GOW. I crush people in Halo and COD on the reg, I don't want to learn some other bad game's multiplayer.

FyreWulff

Captain Blood said:
Zero Bloom at Halofest played the way the Halo Gods intended. Although like I have said Halofest wasn't probably the best venue to judge because our group didn't lose a game the whole weekend.

Well, it's not too hard to do when you're flag holding against me and a bunch of pubbies :lol The only game I lost was against you guys when you were right behind me in the line for Ridgeline.

I don't think any 'hardcore' Halo fans were going to lose at Halofest anyway, seeing as how Trueskill wasn't in effect ;)

Ramirez said:
Most people probably assume that no one aside from people who troll like EazyB, want to play as a big dumb Elite.

The new updated gametypes have bugfixes and new features though.

- Can't defuse while AL'd in bomb phases or gametypes (won't come into play in GAF customs, but still)
- Fixed sudden death for flag (dead bodies can contest the flag into SD on launch gametypes)
- Fixed return radius and touch return behavior for flags in CTF gametypes
- FLAG IS AWAY FROM HOME indicator for CTF gametypes
- Multiple arm zone support for bomb

etc etc

Basically everything added is available here:

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/node/20

And gametypes are here:

http://www.ftzulu.com/matchmaking/?folder=games

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/13748.aspx

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
Did you see his ragequit last night? (ninja's). Pistola and them were chucklin' pretty bad.

I love Instinct shitting on Ninja as he and his crappy team loses 7 or 8 games in a row. It's gotta be even more fun to talk shit when you can take on anyone. Everyone on Instinct is built like a twig but they can still dong hard in Halo.

senador

Banned
stephen08 said:

Besides, that's just for us. Some people do like using the AR and the spiker and all that stuff. It's their game just as much as it is ours. The game was balanced around a utility weapon with bloom. Given that 343 seems to have limited tweaks that they can make I think the best solution is to tweak the bloom. Outright removing it introduces other problems.

WUT

Grenade Launcher will be just fine. It'll still kill in 1 shot if you hit them right, and it will still strip shields. This weapon won't be effected.

Shotgun campers may be a bit less effective, but that weapon is close quarters. If its close enough to kill, it still will and should.

Sword. This will be effected in a good way. Sprint-sworders will be taken out easier now since you aren't having to counter bloom while they are running at you with a death stick. You could apply this to the Hammer as well.

Needler will still be effective at its range. It may be easier now to stop a Needler dude, which is a good thing. Its not a power weapon so its should be able to be stopped easier than it is now. Right now you are dead if you can't get behind cover as soon as you hear it. Zero bloom will also help fight dudes spaceshippin' up in the sky with the pink mist, which is also pretty unfair as it is right now IMO.

Plasma Pistol - How would this be changed? Its ROF is still high and can pop shields quite quickly. Its overcharge will still be plenty effective at stripping shields too. I can't think of anyway at all this would change.

Pistol will still have a higher ROF than the DMR so if you can aim and are up close, the Pistol should still win. It will be tough still though with a smaller clip than the DMR.

AR is already pretty powerful IMO. It has incredi-range, magnetism, etc. IMO no bloom would bring the DMR back to balance with it and even the playing field. Sure it'll get more difficult for AR users but as it is now its too easy.

Plasma Repeater, Plasma Rifle, Spiker - These weapons suck and are useless. Anyone that is effective with them now is mostly likely playing at a lower level and should still be able to use them just fine. I say this because anyone decent at this game should have no problem taking out these 3 weapons. The Repeater was awesome in the beta, but now its just a wussy gun.

Man, typing this out and thinking about it makes me excited and I want zero bloom even more now. It seems that the sandbox will be much more balanced than it is now. What else ya got? :)

stephen08 said:

That pistol will be stronger in relation to to the rest of the sandbox than it is now. The pistol can fire quite quickly, but it is currently hampered by a massive amount of bloom. Without that bloom, the pistol will be able to down people very very quickly. It will still of course be gimped by the magazine size, but it will be very effective.

The only weapons that will be seriously gimped are the AR (which is a good thing IMO) and the Plasma Repeater (which is useless now).

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
How the fuck is shotgun and sword going to take a hit? If you're up close it's a one hit kill, if you're too far away for a one hit kill, you're not using those weapons effectively. If no blooms means I can shit on little kids who Evade+Sword that's fine with me. I'm sure the incredible concussion rifle balance will be devastated with the removal of bloom too. You're looking for problems that aren't going to occur.

Ew dude. No Bad Kid Field. Halo dawg. I don't think I'll even get GOW. I crush people in Halo and COD on the reg, I don't want to learn some other bad game's multiplayer.

Translation: Kylej gets cleansed in other MP games.

kylej

Banned
Merguson said:
Translation: Kylej gets cleansed in other MP games.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I played a MP game other than Halo or COD. Maybe the original Gears. Who has time to play 10 different multiplayer games I don't understand it.

Tashi0106 said:
Is that you looking up at me from the bottom of the Post Game Carnage Report?

:p

No it's me rolling my eyes at someone being obtuse about host and bloom. Then in the same breadth content he takes host a lot.

TheOddOne

Havok said:
For Whiskey Media subscribers: Drew and Vinny at Giant Bomb are playing Halo CE's The Maw on Legendary and streaming it out live - they just made it to the reactor.

They're not great at Halo.
Is it going to be archived for us el cheapo non Wiskey Media subsicribers?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
No it's me rolling my eyes at someone being obtuse about host and bloom. Then in the same breadth content he takes host a lot.

Everyone loves playing on my host besides myself.

stephen08

senador said:
WUT

Grenade Launcher will be just fine. It'll still kill in 1 shot if you hit them right, and it will still strip shields. This weapon won't be effected.

Shotgun campers may be a bit less effective, but that weapon is close quarters. If its close enough to kill, it still will and should.

Sword. This will be effected in a good way. Sprint-sworders will be taken out easier now since you aren't having to counter bloom while they are running at you with a death stick. You could apply this to the Hammer as well.

Needler will still be effective at its range. It may be easier now to stop a Needler dude, which is a good thing. Its not a power weapon so its should be able to be stopped easier than it is now. Right now you are dead if you can't get behind cover as soon as you hear it. Zero bloom will also help fight dudes spaceshippin' up in the sky with the pink mist, which is also pretty unfair as it is right now IMO.

Plasma Pistol - How would this be changed? Its ROF is still high and can pop shields quite quickly. Its overcharge will still be plenty effective at stripping shields too. I can't think of anyway at all this would change.

Pistol will still have a higher ROF than the DMR so if you can aim and are up close, the Pistol should still win. It will be tough still though with a smaller clip than the DMR.

AR is already pretty powerful IMO. It has incredi-range, magnetism, etc. IMO no bloom would bring the DMR back to balance with it and even the playing field. Sure it'll get more difficult for AR users but as it is now its too easy.

Plasma Repeater, Plasma Rifle, Spiker - These weapons suck and are useless. Anyone that is effective with them now is mostly likely playing at a lower level and should still be able to use them just fine. I say this because anyone decent at this game should have no problem taking out these 3 weapons. The Repeater was awesome in the beta, but now its just a wussy gun.

Man, typing this out and thinking about it makes me excited and I want zero bloom even more now. It seems that the sandbox will be much more balanced than it is now. What else ya got? :)

Your points all just boil down to the core properties of other weapons not changing and thus they are still viable. If you take the utility weapon and increase it's effectiveness relative to everything else you are making the other weapons less viable than they are now. If a change is to be made to bloom the best way to approach it is to tweak the value so as to not upset the rest of the sandbox. Especially since the tools they have to tweak stuff with this TU are limited.

And of course, that's what is likely going to happen in the long run.

Tashi0106 said:
Everyone loves playing on my host besides myself.

Yeah that's great now consider that most people in here aren't playing with or against you. Aren't playing people with FioS a majority of the time, are probably playing against people with closed NATS, in other countries, etc etc. Bloom on dedicated servers would be one thing. The effects of latency on bloom are apparent. The fact that you dance around this is fucking annoying Tashi.

Tashi

Devolution said:
Yeah that's great now consider that most people in here aren't playing with or against you. Aren't playing people with FioS a majority of the time, are probably playing against people with closed NATS, in other countries, etc etc. Bloom on dedicated servers would be one thing. The effects of latency on bloom are apparent. The fact that you dance around this is fucking annoying Tashi.

I don't know whether to answer this seriously or post a funny picture about how mad you are. Either one will probably piss you off even more so I just won't say anything. lol fair enough?

I'm always thinking about to pick up a 5.1 headset. But I don't know for which one I should save money. I liked the sound of the Tritton's headset at HaloFest. And I never tried out Astros.(It is hard to find a store, who is selling them). So GAF which one would you recommend me?

Devolution said:
blabla blabla A text I don't care about.
Xand told me that you are saying my phrase "faking grenadez". Could you explain that? Stealing my phrase?

feel

Devolution said:
That's some nice consistency in the two shots to the Os. The irony!

@monkey That shows tons of promise but would need some serious reworking on the placement of the chief so he is part of the front cover and that the front works on its own separate from the back. Plus correct models. Damn I really hope Frankie makes a push for reversible covers, so much great Halo art going to waste in favor of marketing needs.

senador

Banned
stephen08 said:
Your points all just boil down to the core properties of other weapons not changing and thus they are still viable. If you take the utility weapon and increase it's effectiveness relative to everything else you are making the other weapons less viable than they are now. If a change is to be made to bloom the best way to approach it is to tweak the value so as to not upset the rest of the sandbox. Especially since the tools they have to tweak stuff with this TU are limited.

And of course, that's what is likely going to happen in the long run.

Right. They'll still be viable but they'll be able to be countered more effectively and thus less cheap. That is my opinion of course, but I base it on fact. Fighting sword/hammer sprinters, or high-flyin' jet packers with AR or needlers just got a lot more balanced at 0-bloom because now you can effectively shoot back quick enough for it to matter and you aren't stuck battling yourself/bloom.

Edit: This is with AAs in mind. Without AAs, yes some of the weapons could be less effective. I don't think so though, I think it just pushes them further into their roles and you have to be more smart with them. As it is now any dummy can get a kill if he picks up the right power weapon.

Tashi0106 said:
I don't know whether to answer this seriously or post a funny picture about how mad you are. Either one will probably piss you off even more so I just won't say anything. lol fair enough?

Posting funny pictures as a reply is always the way to go.

Gui_PT

wwm0nkey said:
Just made this.

2rm36lw.png

Would be amazing to see this as the reversible cover.

Aw man, I was about to ask for that in the Custom Covers thread.

Would you make one if we ever get a hi res version of that image please?

Btw, I need a Halo CE cover because the Halo I have came with the xbox(comes in an envelope, so no box or cover)
I've asked if someone could possibly make one in the custom covers thread but no one is interested. Anyone here interested in that?

wwm0nkey

Gui_PT said:
Aw man, I was about to ask for that in the Custom Covers thread.

Would you make one if we ever get a hi res version of that image please?

Btw, I need a Halo CE cover because the Halo I have came with the xbox(comes in an envelope, so no box or cover)
I've asked if someone could possibly make one in the custom covers thread but no one is interested. Anyone here interested in that?
Thats what I plan on doing.

MIMIC

Banned
After getting back into this game, I feel like I don't have a complete handle on the DMR and its bloom, and I've lost so many kills because of it. In Halo 3, once their shield is down after a bunch of shots, one well-placed headshot pretty much guarantees a kill. No need to waste any ammo spamming at the head because that one shot will take them out.

In Reach, I've taken the same approach: once the shield is down, I wait a moment for the bloom to reset and I take a single shot at their head and get ready to move on. But wait a minute....they're still alive! And in the effort to conserve ammo, I've already given my opponent time to recover and snatch away the advantage.

Just now after some Googling, I've read that the first two shots hit your intended target and the 3rd shot is random. I've also read that MOST of the shots are random and there is a significant element of luck involved. I've been in a few standoffs where I was completely spammed to death and died in 4 or 5 hits. I've also read that the MLG pros just spam and really have no regard for the pacing.

So is there any consensus on how to effectively use this weapon? IS there a particular pace to adhere to or is it really just about being lucky in particular moments?

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I played a MP game other than Halo or COD. Maybe the original Gears. Who has time to play 10 different multiplayer games I don't understand it.

Pretty much the same for me here.

However, I've abandoned Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 2 and haven't expressed any desire to go back.

Been thinking of getting Gears of War 3 or Battlefield 3 though. Not sure which.

kylej

Banned
TheOddOne said:
How many messages are you getting LOL.

lol that's not me. That dude's a pro who won the last MLG event. Other kid is another pro who's pretty beast at 1v1. Ryanoob challenged him to 1v1s in Starcraft, H3 and Reach.

TheOddOne

kylej said:
lol that's not me. That dude's a pro who won the last MLG event. Other kid is another pro who's pretty beast at 1v1. Ryanoob challenged him to 1v1s in Starcraft, H3 and Reach.
Ohh, my bad. Hilarious stream though, bookmarke'd.

wwm0nkey said:
Just made this.

Would be amazing to see this as the reversible cover.
When you mentioned it first, I thought it wouldn't look good. But damn. it's awesome.

Because of the challenge I uploaded two funny betrayels. In this one I betrayed Gui_PT. This clip is a bit older. I wanted to upload it already in August, but somehow I got "File share upload error" etc. problems, so I forgot about it. But here it is.

The second one is from today. I betrayed Xand. I blame bloom. lol.

You don't have to render them, because both are currently rendering.

Devolution said:
Hah. He asks me to say it, take it up with him.
Really? You know, that you want to say it. Everytime a grenade kills you.

Tashi0106 said:

I'm not really mad, it's just inevitable in any discussion of bloom you'll troll and dance around the issue of latency.

In other words:

83LYb.png

kylej

Banned
Oh man it's so weird seeing 1v1 on these old H3 maps. It's like relics from some distant past or something. Just empty spaces where great battles were once fought.

Tashi

OK good because I'm not trying to make people mad. I kind of feel like everyone expected me to hate bloom like everyone else.

Tashi0106 said:
OK good because I'm not trying to make people mad. I kind of feel like everyone expected me to hate bloom like everyone else.

I honestly wouldn't mind bloom if latency didn't come into play in a lot of my games. It might be my high DL, low UP but there's not much I can do about it. I get really frustrated when shots are eaten or someone is no shield and the last shot doesn't finish them off. There's no reason for that with better netcode and hitscan in Reach.

Top Bottom