• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Letters said:
It's not a problem per se, but it's a very important contributing factor to why Reach does not feel right when compared to previous Halo games.
Can the same not be said for every added feature since CE?

Striker

Gabotron ES said:
Actually, you can get all these things:
NO BLOOM ELITE SLAYER (90% damage resistance, 125% shield regeneration and 200% health regeneration)=HALO 2/3 SLAYER.

Please Frankie, do eet!
'Cept H3 wasn't fast.

ElRenoRaven

ShortBizzle said:
First time I've got a kill this way with a grenade.

Can I get a render?

Don't take my toy!

Done SD only though. I am running out of minutes. Only have my free ones now. Think Next month I'm picking up some more because I usually only do HD renders. They last forever though when I do. lol

And wow two of us. Wonder who will get their minutes back. lol

feel

Hydranockz said:
Can the same not be said for every added feature since CE?
Not about features. Features and other surface details can be toggled and adjusted in Custom options. This is about the base game. All the Halos before Reach felt different to one another, probably getting worse with each entry, but they all still shared that correct "feel".

Hypertrooper said:
No? Number One topic is what I should wear for my date tonight.
Was gonna suggest Halogaf shirt, but since you already have a date what's the point.
unless you want part in a crazy threesome or foursome tonight

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Not about features. Features and other surface details can be toggled and adjusted in Custom options. This is about the base game. All the Halos before Reach felt different to one another, probably getting worse with each entry, but they all still shared that correct "feel".

I don't think they got worse with each entry. They did with 2 for sure but I felt 3 corrected many of the mistakes that 2 made. Granted Equipment sucked but other then that it felt every bit Halo except the lack of fall damage. Reach if you remove bloom, armor abilites, I feel still feels very much Halo. Hell even with bloom it does for me. Course I tend to be an AR spammer or other weapon spammer and barely use any weapons that bloom screws with.

Homeboyd

Hey gaiz.. What's happenin? What'd I miss?

Other than the ultramegaton frankie dropped earlier re: bsangel's update, of course.

Homeboyd said:
Hey gaiz.. What's happenin? What'd I miss?

Other than the ultramegaton frankie dropped earlier re: bsangel's update, of course.
Resistance 3 is an awesome game. Flipyap, Zeouterlimits, Tha Robbster got their Grunt plushie. Except of Tha Robbster, they posted awesome pics. Ehm.. something to add? A twitter exclusive discussion about Limited Editions.

Karl2177

God damn you people are hard to please. I trust 343 to listen to the community and they did. The complaints of strafing were little to that of AL and bloom.

ElRenoRaven

Karl2177 said:
God damn you people are hard to please. I trust 343 to listen to the community and they did. The complaints of strafing were little to that of AL and bloom.

Lies. All lies. Everyone knows that Strafing was number 1 complaint of all times world wide. lol

Retro

Speed Debate

Booting up Halo:CE after spending any amount of time with Halo 2 or 3 feels like you're in a fucking Indy car. The movement speed in the original game is *insane* by comparison, give it a try if you don't believe me.

Haven't tried it with Reach yet, but I suspect it's the same or worse. I have absolute no hard data to back thus up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Reach's Sprint AA has a feel similar to Halo CE's default run speed.

PsychoRaven said:
Done SD only though. I am running out of minutes. Only have my free ones now. Think Next month I'm picking up some more because I usually only do HD renders. They last forever though when I do. lol

And wow two of us. Wonder who will get their minutes back. lol

Hypertrooper said:
Rendered.

Thanks guys! Does it usually take a while to finish??

feel

PsychoRaven said:
Reach if you remove bloom, armor abilites, I feel still feels very much Halo.
Even with faster speed/jumps to me it doesn't really feel like Bungie's work when it comes to movement. Feels like some other high tier developers' work. It doesn't warm my heart picking up the controller and simply navigating around a map and appreciating how there's nothing quite perfect and smooth like it, like it does in the previous games including the slow Halo 3.

Homeboyd

Hypertrooper said:
Resistance 3 is an awesome game. Flipyap, Zeouterlimits, Tha Robbster got their Grunt plushie. Except of Tha Robbster, they posted awesome pics. Ehm.. something to add? A twitter exclusive discussion about Limited Editions.
Thanks bromango! (Swackin' Gui's style)

-1 for anyone who gets reference

GhaleonEB

Karl2177 said:
I agree, and am glad to see these prioritized as they have been. The TU isn't perfect, but the priories I'm generally quite happy with.

But people being people, issues will continue to be raised until addressed one way or the other ("there won't be another TU, we're busy making Halo 4"). FWIW, I've been lamenting player inertia since the Beta. My real hope is that Halo 4 returns the core gameplay of past Halo games. Given the direction the TU points, I'm feeling pretty good about 343's direction.

Some shots from a LNoS Legendary run yesterday.

23gzhq1.jpg

v5y3xd.jpg

2q0r9r9.jpg

1zvr8te.jpg

2ag0xtd.jpg

2ahxl41.jpg

It's surprisingly hard to get good dogfighting shots, mostly because the ranges are so long you can't see anything.

w8s30o.jpg

288ozll.jpg

95tqx4.jpg

fmox8j.jpg

25s9545.jpg

These three assholes made me their bitch many, many times.

2hds4ys.jpg

omvqc.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
Even with faster speed/jumps to me it doesn't really feel like Bungie's work when it comes to movement. Feels like some other high tier developers' work. It doesn't warm my heart picking up the controller and simply navigating around a map and appreciating how there's nothing quite perfect and smooth like it, like it does in the previous games including the slow Halo 3.
I disagree. I still have a lot of fun running around maps, making jumps and finding ledges like I did in previous games. Still feels so familiar to me.

GhaleonEB said:
I agree, and am glad to see these prioritized as they have been. The TU isn't perfect, but the priories I'm generally quite happy with.

But people being people, issues will continue to be raised until addressed one way or the other ("there won't be another TU, we're busy making Halo 4"). FWIW, I've been lamenting player inertia since the Beta. My real hope is that Halo 4 returns the core gameplay of past Halo games. Given the direction the TU points, I'm feeling pretty good about 343's direction.
If people always looked on the bright side of life, we would accept the changes. And I can live with Reach now.

And I know everyone wants an earworm now. Here it is!

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
If people always looked on the bright side of life, we would accept the changes. And I can live with Reach now.
I don't follow...I think player inertia in Reach did great damage to the game. I should be accepting of that, and not comment on it?

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:
Strafe acceleration is definitely the number one problem being talked about on HaloGaf.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Most people have absolutely no concept of what actually makes a game balanced, so I fail to see how popular conversations on an internet forum have anything to do with it. Unless 343 balances Halo games based on what internet forums talk about, in which case, "high movement acceleration, fast kill times, low aim assist, reticle in the center of the fuggin screen."

There, I just made Halo 4 great.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't follow...I think player inertia in Reach did great damage to the game. I should be accepting of that, and not comment on it?
Ehm... ehm... The purpose of the post was to deliver the earworm. You know ehm... ehm... You know ehm... Okay now I have an answer: Kant said, that you should note it. We did it and so we can... move on?
Seriously, I just tried to spread my earworm. :(

Tashi0106 said:
I disagree. I still have a lot of fun running around maps, making jumps and finding ledges like I did in previous games. Still feels so familiar to me.

110% jump/speed with sprint
tashi, why don't you just, sometimes, play different playlists? reach with mlg settings is actually quite good

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BigShow36 said:
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Most people have absolutely no concept of what actually makes a game balanced, so I fail to see how popular conversations on an internet forum have anything to do with it. Unless 343 balances Halo games based on what internet forums talk about, in which case, "high movement acceleration, fast kill times, low aim assist, reticle in the center of the fuggin screen."

There, I just made Halo 4 great.

Yes they do. What makes it balanced is what makes it fun for them. they just don't share the same rhetorical devices for it. People discuss the game based on their own experiences with their own dialects. Balance and fun are subjectives derived from experience of objective content. Using only game balance "rules" and objective data is a recipe for diaster on the same scale as using anecdotal data.

The joke I made was about semantics.

Retro said:
Booting up Halo:CE after spending any amount of time with Halo 2 or 3 feels like you're in a fucking Indy car. The movement speed in the original game is *insane* by comparison, give it a try if you don't believe me.

Haven't tried it with Reach yet, but I suspect it's the same or worse. I have absolute no hard data to back thus up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Reach's Sprint AA has a feel similar to Halo CE's default run speed.

If I have some spare time tonight I think I will boot up Halo:CE and tool around in MP to try and get a better feel for the comparisons (speed, pistol, etc) everyone is making. Its been about 5 years since I last played the original Halo:CE on Xbox.

Sai-kun

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Aww, I sent a bunch of thoughtful Halo Universe related URLs. Damn.

My list was (all available):
GhostTrick.com
ForerunnersEdge.com
SpartanParkour.com
RunningfromElites.com
PlasmaMadness.com
RunningWithPlasma.com

Forerunner's Edge :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Ehm... ehm... The purpose of the post was to deliver the earworm. You know ehm... ehm... You know ehm... Okay now I have an answer: Kant said, that you should note it. We did it and so we can... move on?
Seriously, I just tried to spread my earworm. :(
When I read earworm, I think of that scene from the Wrath of Khan.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Aww, I sent a bunch of thoughtful Halo Universe related URLs. Damn.

My list was (all available):
GhostTrick.com
ForerunnersEdge.com
SpartanParkour.com
RunningfromElites.com
PlasmaMadness.com
RunningWithPlasma.com
While I wasn't 100% against the idea, I was always leaning towards a non-halo specific URL for the site.

Again thanks though.

MrDaravon

Would be great if I could actually play Halo with all my friends right now (ironically including the person I gave my retail copy to when I got the preview disc). Do we have any ETA on when preview/GoD copies are getting this? I literally can't do the two multiplayer challenges today because I cannot get a single game going in any playlist, it finds one or two people then restarts the search.

Also do we have any idea why these versions aren't getting the TU at the same time? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, I wouldn't think that Xbox (or whatever) would even be able to distinguish any differences between the versions.

Stinkles

SailorDaravon said:
Would be great if I could actually play Halo with all my friends right now (ironically including the person I gave my retail copy to when I got the preview disc). Do we have any ETA on when preview/GoD copies are getting this? Also do we have any idea why these versions aren't getting the TU at the same time? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, I wouldn't think that Xbox (or whatever) would even be able to distinguish any differences between the versions.

They have different title IDs and in the preview disc case, they data is stored differently (as it is on GOND). More news as it comes in.

MrDaravon

OuterWorldVoice said:
They have different title IDs and in the preview disc case, they data is stored differently (as it is on GOND). More news as it comes in.

Weird. I'm not thrilled at the moment (as my friends are only going to be on for a bit) but I appreciate the response :)

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:
Yes they do. What makes it balanced is what makes it fun for them. they just don't share the same rhetorical devices for it. People discuss the game based on their own experiences with their own dialects. Balance and fun are subjectives derived from experience of objective content. Using only game balance "rules" and objective data is a recipe for diaster on the same scale as using anecdotal data.

The joke I made was about semantics.

I disagree; under the blanket "rules" of a Halo game and the goal of rewarding players proportional to their ability, actions and decisions during a game, there are objective standards which can make a game more or less "balanced."

Dismissing the idea of objective balance is a way of simply avoiding the fact that a game is poorly balanced. Sure, if you have a universe with no established conventions, "balance" is too nebulous a concept to objectively determine what will most accurately portray it. However, in a game like Halo, where the conventions of the game are quite well established, its much easier to state objectively what will make a game more balanced. "Fun" is a different matter entirely, but I disagree with the idea that more balance = less fun, even when discussing the unwashed masses.

However, this is assuming game developers want a balanced Halo game and that they understand what balance is, which is strongly suspect is not the case.

Stinkles

BigShow36 said:
I disagree; under the blanket "rules" of a Halo game and the goal of rewarding players proportional to their ability, actions and decisions during a game, there are objective standards which can make a game more or less "balanced."

Dismissing the idea of objective balance is a way of simply avoiding the fact that a game is poorly balanced. Sure, if you have a universe with no established conventions, "balance" is too nebulous a concept to objectively determine what will most accurately portray it. However, in a game like Halo, where the conventions of the game are quite well established, its much easier to state objectively what will make a game more balanced. "Fun" is a different matter entirely, but I disagree with the idea that more balance = less fun, even when discussing the unwashed masses.

However, this is assuming game developers want a balanced Halo game and that they understand what balance is, which is strongly suspect is not the case. "Balance" is not a subjective concept; fun is.

OK dude.

orznge said:
what in the god damned fuck

This is how people PERCEIVE balance. The discussion is about semantics, not facts. "To them" is the important part. As devs, we still have a responsibilty to create something that's objectively balanced - but that's not necessarily what players take from the experience.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
shit man are you defending huge inertia and slow acceleration now? :lol

(j/k, I know you just didn't get what I was referring to)

Striker

Retro said:

Different FOV from Halo 1 to Halo 2/3. But the speed was pretty smooth and generous. The jumping wasn't even high. They still were able to balance it out in Halo 2 while giving it a higher jump height and removing fall damage. Even with those characteristics in Halo 3, they reduced the speed and made the jump floatier, which makes it feel like it is faster, but in reality you're still slow as hell.

Reach with sprint/evade is faster, but I'm not in the camp where Halo needs or should have a sprint button. I'm perfectly set with a nice boost of base speed and decent jump height, but at the same time not feeling like I'm jumping on the moon.

Top Bottom