• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

Rickenslacker said:
http://i.imgur.com/prjzv.jpg

The precursor to that holy Halo pistol. Made Opposing Force a lot of fun too. We need more powerful pistols in games.
I did enjoy having my primary weapon in Deus Ex emerge as a 10mm pistol (armor piercing, extended clip, silencer, laser sight, damage boosted...). It reminded me of the power of the CEA pistol.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Is this going to be fixed? I gifted my Reach disc to someone and kept the preview disc. I don't want to be left behind.
Yes its going to get the TU, its just under a different ID like the GoD version. Thats why they havent gotten the update.

I imagine we will get the update at the end of the day.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
I did enjoy having my primary weapon in Deus Ex emerge as a 10mm pistol (armor piercing, extended clip, silencer, laser sight, damage boosted...). It reminded me of the power of the CEA pistol.
On that subject, without throwing rocks, what are halogaf's thoughts of weapon editing (multiple ammo types for one gun, multiple scopes, skins, etc..)?

I know it's "not Halo," I'm just wondering what your thoughts were.

Even if it was done in a very simplistic way... say you pick up a shotgun with normal rounds on a map. You then come across a 'ammo box' that has explosive rounds that alter the way the gun does damage (and you can cycle back and forth between ammo types). Not saying they need to be editable from a player menu-screen, but perhaps obtainable as you play the match.

*ducks*

GhaleonEB said:
werwequvt.gif

Yes...yes...embrace the power

GhaleonEB said:
Indeed. You need to try out the revolver with the exploding round upgrade. It's ridiculous. You could upgrade your pistol to godliness in the original as well, so it's making me realize something...

No game that I've played with an awesome pistol was bad. You know what to do for Halo 4 Frankie.

Booshka

Kunohara said:
Dimmer makes sense, because dmr is in the word. Domer just sounds weird because there's no O in DMR. Burr makes sense because again, BR.

That's your argument? Why don't you explain why it's fine? "Hmm, you mean with this small weapon, i can headshot anyone from across the map? Sounds good to me!" Seriously, when you read that, it sounds like a power weapon to me. A pistol is supposed to be your backup when your other weapon is out of ammo/have to reload, not your main fucking weapon. Why should a pistol be more powerful than a fucking ASSAULT RIFLE. Read that, and tell me that makes sense.
Because it is a video game set 500 years in the future with Cyborgs fighting aliens on a ring world. Who gives a shit what it looks like or is called. It's not like it's a Rainbow Six game with a Pistol that is better than a FAMAS.

It's a weapon skin, the Pistol's role is a precise headshot capable weapon with a lot of power. The Assault Rifle is a gas powered, massive clip, spray weapon for close quarters combat. Sure when you select Assault Rifle in most video games you expect a M16 type of weapon, but in Halo it's totally different, so don't get so hung up on what the weapon names are and their looks.

I also heard your exact statement at a Halo CE LAN like 6 years ago, I was destroying some guy with the Pistol because he only used the AR, he kept saying how a Pistol shouldn't be stronger than an Assault Rifle.
I responded, "Who gives a shit? Press Y and play."

Tawpgun

Homeboyd said:
On that subject, without throwing rocks, what are halogaf's thoughts of weapon editing (multiple ammo types for one gun, multiple scopes, skins, etc..)?

Even if it was done in a very simplistic way... say you pick up a shotgun with normal rounds on a map. You then come across a 'ammo box' that has explosive rounds that alter the way the gun does damage. Not saying they need to be editable from a player menu-screen, but perhaps obtainable as you play the match.

*ducks*
NOPE.

I like how in Halo you can see a player. See what weapon he has. And be able to formulate a plan in an instant to take him down.

If I see a guy with a shotgun I'll keep my distance or try and nade him out. If his shotgun shoots long range rounds that I don't know about I die thinking WTF?

Same reasons I don't like AA's or Equipment. You never know what someone has until they use it.

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're talking about mathematical balance then. Not gameplay balance.
I'm not sure I understand you here. In my opinion, the act of balancing a game must use both mathematical balance and massive amounts of in-game balance testing.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Even the skill-matching in SWAT is different in terms of likely end result than vanilla Team Slayer. And we have to reward players based on a wide range of skills. It is easier, in theory, to balance an MLG game because there's less variation in skill, than a normal matchmaking experience. But I agree with proportionality, of course.

My defintion of balance doesn't cram "skill" into one category; I agree that skill covers a wide range of things. However, I fail to see how the actual definition of balance changes from gametype to gametype. The reason the skill-matching returns different results in SWAT compared to TS is because "balance" doesn't change. SWAT emphasizes a smaller portion of "skill" than a balanced Team Slayer game would, which is why the skill-matching results are different. That's a rather convoluted way of saying, different gametypes emphasize different skillsets without altering what "balance" is.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Another integer to think about is satisfaction. Can I feel satisfied having been beaten 50-35, that it felt both fun and fair?

I fail to see how we can bring "satisfaction" into our balance. Who deserves to be satisfied? A new player who wants to kill anyone, or an expert who wants to be rewarded for their time and ability?

OuterWorldVoice said:
And here's a question: Would it be better to have an unbalanced game that everyone really enjoyed, or a very balanced game that only 1% of people enjoy? And how do you adjust the slider on that argument?

Thats completely dependent upon your perspective. If you're the company making the game, obviously its the former, if you're a gamer who wants to be treated fairly, its the latter. However, I fail to see why this needs to be viewed as a "slider" scale, where moving in one direction detracts from the other.

Homeboyd said:

Even if it was done in a very simplistic way... say you pick up a shotgun with normal rounds on a map. You then come across a 'ammo box' that has explosive rounds that alter the way the gun does damage. Not saying they need to be editable from a player menu-screen, but perhaps obtainable as you play the match.

*ducks*
Actually if Halo adopted a Crysis-style of weapon modding on the fly, that would be pretty cool.

w4CQd.jpg

In fact I always thought that the armour abilities shouldn't have been loadout dependent in Reach, but universal. Everyone has all of them, but can switch between them in the heat of the moment much like Crysis' powersuit.

Homeboyd

A27 Tawpgun said:
NOPE.

I like how in Halo you can see a player. See what weapon he has. And be able to formulate a plan in an instant to take him down.

If I see a guy with a shotgun I'll keep my distance or try and nade him out. If his shotgun shoots long range rounds that I don't know about I die thinking WTF?

Same reasons I don't like AA's or Equipment. You never know what someone has until they use it.
Very valid point. Some sort of visual cue would be necessary I suppose.

Hydranockz said:
People seem to play regardless of how much they enjoy it though...

No one that I played Halo 3 with plays Reach, bar people on here. I know thats ancedotal evidence but its not just me in that position.

Ok, 2 of the people I played Halo 3 with play Reach, 1 of them plays maybe once every few months while the other plays semi regularly. 2 people isnt very much lol. I must say though that I play Reach with friends who didnt really play xbox before reach came out. So maybe Reach just caters to a different crowd.

But a Halo game which caters for the demographic that didnt really play halo in the past isnt doing great. Ancedotal evidence again I admit.

As for the Pistol argument. Fair enough reskin the thing to make it look like a rifle if you have to, it is pretty unclear that a Pistol is so powerful, im just in it for the gameplay though so skin or no skin ill love it.

bobs99 ... said:
No one that I played Halo 3 with plays Reach, bar people on here. I know thats ancedotal evidence but its not just me in that position.

Ok, 2 of the people I played Halo 3 with play Reach, 1 of them plays maybe once every few months while the other plays semi regularly. 2 people isnt very much lol. I must say though that I play Reach with friends who didnt really play xbox before reach came out. So maybe Reach just caters to a different crowd.

But a Halo game which caters for the demographic that didnt really play halo in the past isnt doing great. Ancedotal evidence again I admit.

As for the Pistol argument. Fair enough reskin the thing to make it look like a rifle if you have to, it is pretty unclear that a Pistol is so powerful, im just in it for the gameplay though so skin or no skin ill love it.
You didn't need to start playing BLOPS right now to make a point! :p

Booshka

Gabotron ES said:
Y U DO THIS TO ME?

reach_23734486_Full.jpg

These jerks kept the entire match camping elite spawns, where's the halo honor in these dark times?
Don't you have Evade? Just roll the fuck out of there and throw some plasma grenades at your feet.

Can 1.0 and 1.1 not play with each other? I am having a devil of a time finding a game right now.

Should I just grab my retail disc, or is the TU for the preview disc going to be here soon?

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Can 1.0 and 1.1 not play with each other? I am having a devil of a time finding a game right now.

Should I just grab my retail disc, or is the TU for the preview disc going to be here soon?
Nope. 1.0 and 1.1 can not play with eachother, so we basically cant play Reach till we get the update.

feel

Hydranockz said:
People seem to play regardless of how much they enjoy it though...
And this is one of the most scary and depressing aspects of Halo that I've noticed with Reach, seeing almost all of Halogaf continue playing a ridiculous ammount of hours everyday no matter how much they loathe pretty much every aspect of it but the social one. Sends a message to the devs that they pretty much can do whatever they want with it with no real consequences except seeing a few pissed off fans here and there who bothered to complain.

Booshka

Steelyuhas said:

I was able to find a SWAT game (Challenges lol) but I wasn't able to find a SS or BTB game. I am on the the Preview disc.

Booshka said:
Don't you have Evade? Just roll the fuck out of there and throw some plasma grenades at your feet.
Left guy: Rockets and shotgun
Middle guy: Fuel rod gun
Right guy: DMR and Concussion riffle.

BONUS: there was a guy camping spawns with the sniper while the Banshee destroyed my teammates, he doesn't appear on my photo

Gui_PT

Someone else said Bromango! My work to revive that term is working!!!!

Anyway, we can has gametype now pleaz? I have babies to feed.

Booshka

The Real Napsta said:
You can't play online or system link with anyone not on the same version.
I get it now, release the TU so it borks MM for a little while with all the different SKU's being incompatible. This leads to Reach players getting frustrated and picking up Gears 3. Microsoft are so intelligent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Devin Olsen said:
While I wasn't 100% against the idea, I was always leaning towards a non-halo specific URL for the site.

Again thanks though.

No worries, it was fun coming up with them. I would have sent a few more non-Halo ones if I had know though.

Keep the contests coming Halo Gaf, they keep me entertained. :p

Gui_PT said:
Someone else said Bromango! My work to revive that term is working!!!!

Anyway, we can has gametype now pleaz? I have babies to feed.
Tell me about Bromango's origins, I remember you guys talking about this when I was a lurker.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Devin Olsen said:

See, I could disagree with this. The pistol dominated long range in Halo CE because of how abundant it was. Sure, the sniper was always better, but at a mid to long distance you could terrorize people with it. It was the only weapon used by some people. I never saw it as balanced, but it was fun.

If Halo 1 had another mid to long range weapon (ala Battle rifle or DMR) that worked better at that intermediate range and could counter the pistol (and best it) I could see it being balanced.

Booshka

Deadly Cyclone said:
See, I could disagree with this. The pistol dominated long range in Halo CE because of how abundant it was. Sure, the sniper was always better, but at a mid to long distance you could terrorize people with it. It was the only weapon used by some people. I never saw it as balanced, but it was fun.

If Halo 1 had another mid to long range weapon (ala Battle rifle or DMR) that worked better at that intermediate range and could counter the pistol (and best it) I could see it being balanced.
What? Why do you need another gun to do the same thing? That's redundancy not balance.

Deadly Cyclone said:

People only using the pistol put themselves at a slight disadvantage. There is a reason why the best CE players used all weapons when the situation called for it.

Hydranockz said:
You didn't need to start playing BLOPS right now to make a point! :p

Im not gonna lie, Blops has been pretty bad, xbox kicked me off live its been so laggy. Is Live just generally messed up right now?

Booshka

bobs99 ... said:
Im not gonna lie, Blops has been pretty bad, xbox kicked me off live its been so laggy. Is Live just generally messed up right now?
Microsoft is trying to tell you to buy Gears 3.

feel

bobs99 ... said:
It all makes sense now.

Damn you Gears players for ruining live for everyone. :p (Hopefully it will settle down soon)
I think MS turns off a few servers around big launches to get everyone into the big release mood.

Gabotron ES said:
Anyone want to try out my Invasion: Highlands gametype? I put a lot of effort on it.
I'll be on in about two hours from this post.

Assuming there isn't any TU action going down by that time I'd be down.

Link me the variant and gametype either way. I'd like to check it out.

Ramirez said:
The "it's just a Pistol" argument is a good point, IMO. I know back when I first played MP with my buds, I was amazed when I found out the thing could cross map. No one else knew, and kept asking me how I was killing them, lol. When you see a pistol, your brain doesn't think "oh, I can shoot a mile with this thing".

Added to the charm and uniqueness of the weapon imo.

Also, armour lock is not balanced on paper.

Surprised at the mood in here today, thought I'd come home to a smorgasbord of delirious, celebratory gifs at the impending gametype drop, was disappointed.

Top Bottom