• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:

I understand your desire to be reticent on the matter, but I'm genuinely interested in your actual reply to the statement.

I'm curious, what is your definition of balance?

Hypertrooper said:
Resistance 3 is an awesome game. Flipyap, Zeouterlimits, Tha Robbster got their Grunt plushie. Except of Tha Robbster, they posted awesome pics. Ehm.. something to add? A twitter exclusive discussion about Limited Editions.
I'll take that as a hint to post a pic :lol

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
They have different title IDs and in the preview disc case, they data is stored differently (as it is on GOND). More news as it comes in.
Hmmmm that's a bit weird that they all have different Title IDs, I always assumed GoD titles where the same as the retail versions.

orznge

Banned
reminder that when there were threads about FOV on the bungie forums people literally defended the decision to give the player 30 FOV or whatever it is in Halo 2/3 because it "took more skill because you have to look around more"

BigShow36

orznge said:
reminder that when there were threads about FOV on the bungie forums people literally defended the decision to give the player 30 FOV or whatever it is in Halo 2/3 because it "took more skill because you have to look around more"

After playing other games, any time I tried to go back to H2/3 I would get dizzy for the first few games. Terrible.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
For balance give me a gun that works very well in every situation but isn't the best in every situation.

feel

Fuck I hope they get the update working on GoD version soon. My dog fucked up my Reach disc (my fault), a friend borrowed another one and a third one is still sealed and I don't want to open it just for this (unless they drop the ZBS gametype today).

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Fuck I hope they get the update working on GoD version soon. My dog fucked up my Reach disc (my fault), a friend borrowed another one and a third one is still sealed and I don't want to open it just for this (unless it's ZBS).
I am sure all versions will see the update by the end of the day.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
I am sure all versions will see the update by the end of the day.

Hopefully. I've updated with my Retail copy thankfully. However my update version of the disc is updateless. So at least I'll be able to play still if I need to. lol

feel

Speaking of GoD, I wonder if CEA will hit that faster than other games usually do? My xbox disc tray will be mighty busy for the next bunch of months, not having to swap other discs constantly for the Halo disc would be sweet.

Tashi0106 said:
For balance give me a gun that works very well in every situation but isn't the best in every situation.
halo-1-screenshot-pistol.jpg

wwm0nkey

Karl2177 said:
It probably got overlooked earlier, but am I the only one with the TU downloaded for the preview disc?
quick question though, did you have the retail version of Reach installed to your HDD? If so I think that still counts as you playing the retail version lol

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
quick question though, did you have the retail version of Reach installed to your HDD? If so I think that still counts as you playing the retail version lol

The disc is what matters. From what I've tried you can't play retail install off the hdd if you use the preview disc. So he would have had to have the preview disc in.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BigShow36 said:
I understand your desire to be reticent on the matter, but I'm genuinely interested in your actual reply to the statement.

I'm curious, what is your definition of balance?

Well it depends, and it is still my subjective definition, rather than a studio philosophy. Luckily for you I am not a designer, but in Halo the best way I could encapsulate it is:

Conditions that constitute a fair and satisfying experience at a moment to moment level and at the end of a session, within reasonable parameters of skill difference.

That sounds vague, but there are too many parameters to get specific. SWAT balance is different than Team Slayer balance, for example.

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
I have retail installed to a flash drive, and have the preview disc in the console.

Kunohara

Plywood said:
So do you guys say D-M-R or domer?

I have never heard anyone anywhere ever say it as domer. Where the fuck do you see an O in DMR?

And you people wanting the Halo CE pistol are fucking nuts. I did not find that shit fun in Halo CE at all. It's a fucking pistol.

Kunohara said:
I have never heard anyone anywhere ever say it as domer. Where the fuck do you see an O in DMR?
They're pronouncing DMR as a word. Like people calling SQL sequel, or SCSI scuzzy.

But I say DMR. People who say domer are crazy.

Kunohara said:
And you people wanting the Halo CE pistol are fucking nuts. I did not find that shit fun in Halo CE at all. It's a fucking pistol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_tLWMm0Fo

Wizman23

Banned
Ramirez said:
Just wanted to pop in and say I would love for Halo 4 to get dedicated servers, Gears 3 is smoother than Reach, believe.

Came here to post this. 343 and MS you have NO excuse. Gears 3 is the smoothest online experience I have ever had in a video game.

Ramirez

Kunohara said:

I know man, such a terribly unbalanced weapon.

*internethighfive*

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kunohara said:
Saying DMR isn't short and sweet like saying BR was, my old H2/H3 bud's would call the BR the Burr and I sometimes call the DMR the Dimmer. But I just thought now that the DMR is a precision weapon(barring bloom) hence domer.

Booshka

Kunohara said:

My least favorite of the anti-Pistol arguments is this one.

BigShow36

OuterWorldVoice said:
Conditions that constitute a fair and satisfying experience at a moment to moment level and at the end of a session, within reasonable parameters of skill difference.

I don't see how "satisfaction" can be included in a definition of balance, as that truly is subjective. Finding a workable definition of balance must eliminate as many instances of "subjective" as possible, otherwise its not a defintion at all.

Fair is a much more applicable term for balance. The only real way to treat ALL players fairly is to reward them proportional to how well they perform during a match. Do you agree with that?

OuterWorldVoice said:
That sounds vague, but there are too many parameters to get specific. SWAT balance is different than Team Slayer balance, for example.

Our defintion of Balance must be encompassing, not vague. What "balance" is doesn't change from gametype to gametype, certain gametypes are simply more or less balanced. We don't make up a new definition of what balance is for Team Rockets, we simply accept that the gametype is not balanced. That doesn't mean its not fun, of course it is! What I get angry about is when the core game does not provide settings that are balanced in any combination.

GhaleonEB

Booshka said:
I sympathize to it a bit, but only because the weapon feedback is disconnected from is power; it's like Noisy Cricket minus the noise. The Anniversary version features feedback that matches the punch it packs.

BigShow36 said:
Our defintion of Balance must be encompassing, not vague. What "balance" is doesn't change from gametype to gametype, certain gametypes are simply more or less balanced.
His general statement was applicable, but as he said balance means different things to different modes. In SWAT balance means everyone has the same base abilities and the same weapons. In Team Slayer, it doesn't, but the balance comes from how weapons and abilities need compliment and offset one another. So you can't really move beyond the principle/philosophy level without getting granular.

darthbob

wwm0nkey said:

It doesn't work like that, at least, not from my standpoint.

I've got both versions of Halo: Reach installed. Retail launch disc is 6.6GB, XGD3 Disc is 6.7GB with separate installs. They do use the same directory though, so when you drill into 'Halo: Reach', you see two games.

If I were to remove the Retail launch install and tried the XGD3 disc, it wouldn't read assets on the HDD, it would read it from the disc.

Edit: For all intents and purposes, they are different games.

Booshka said:

Seriously. I have a problem with that.

I can understand if you don't like the pistol's functionality, but why the fuck does the weapon being a pistol have to do with anything? It's just a skin.

GhaleonEB said:
I sympathize to it a bit, but only because the weapon feedback is disconnected from is power; it's like Noisy Cricket minus the noise. The Anniversary version features feedback that matches the punch it packs.

Okay I understand that, although I don't really agree with it. Always sounds like it packed a punch to me. The Anniversary version sounds like a damn cannon though!

darthbob

Steelyuhas said:
Seriously. I have a problem with that.

I can understand if you don't like the pistol's functionality, but why the fuck does the weapon being a pistol have to do with anything? It's just a skin.

If it was reskinned to be a rifle, 3rd person and FP hands, would it be okay then?

Ramirez

If they're going to bring back FF to Halo 4, then they need to take a look at Horde mode as well. Boss encounters and defense building, awesome additions.

Can you imagine if there were Scarab rounds or something in FF? Might actually be worth playing.

The "it's just a Pistol" argument is a good point, IMO. I know back when I first played MP with my buds, I was amazed when I found out the thing could cross map. No one else knew, and kept asking me how I was killing them, lol. When you see a pistol, your brain doesn't think "oh, I can shoot a mile with this thing".

Kunohara

Plywood said:
Saying DMR isn't short and sweet like saying BR was, my old H2/H3 bud's would call the BR the Burr and I sometimes call the DMR the Dimmer. But I just thought now that the DMR is a precision weapon(barring bloom) hence domer.

Dimmer makes sense, because dmr is in the word. Domer just sounds weird because there's no O in DMR. Burr makes sense because again, BR.

Booshka said:

That's your argument? Why don't you explain why it's fine? "Hmm, you mean with this small weapon, i can headshot anyone from across the map? Sounds good to me!" Seriously, when you read that, it sounds like a power weapon to me. A pistol is supposed to be your backup when your other weapon is out of ammo/have to reload, not your main fucking weapon. Why should a pistol be more powerful than a fucking ASSAULT RIFLE. Read that, and tell me that makes sense.

darthbob said:
If it was reskinned to be a rifle, 3rd person and FP hands, would it be okay then?

That's what I think some people honestly think.

Not me though, I love that it's a pistol.

Kunohara said:
That's your argument? Why don't you explain why it's fine? "Hmm, you mean with this small weapon, i can headshot anyone from across the map? Sounds good to me!" Seriously, when you read that, it sounds like a power weapon to me. A pistol is supposed to be your backup when your other weapon is out of ammo/have to reload, not your main fucking weapon. Why should a pistol be more powerful than a fucking ASSAULT RIFLE. Read that, and tell me that makes sense.

Because its a game, and gameplay is king.

Why is the standard military gun 500 years into the future an assault rifle that is wildly inaccurate and has no range? Halo is a game, and not a realistic one.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kunohara said:
Dimmer makes sense, because dmr is in the word. Domer just sounds weird because there's no O in DMR. Burr makes sense because again, BR.
But domer makes sense cause of how satisfying it is to get a headshot in Reach when bloom isn't trolling you.

darthbob

Steelyuhas said:
That's what I think some people honestly think.

Not me though, I love that it's a pistol.

Probably. The fact that 'it's a pistol' shouldn't be a valid argument for a video game weapon. Changing the properties of a projectile for say, the Rocket Launcher can make it just like the Pistol, so people are complaining about the wrong thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BigShow36 said:
I don't see how "satisfaction" can be included in a definition of balance, as that truly is subjective. Finding a workable definition of balance must eliminate as many instances of "subjective" as possible, otherwise its not a defintion at all.

Fair is a much more applicable term for balance. The only real way to treat ALL players fairly is to reward them proportional to how well they perform during a match. Do you agree with that?

Our defintion of Balance must be encompassing, not vague. What "balance" is doesn't change from gametype to gametype, certain gametypes are simply more or less balanced.

You're talking about mathematical balance then. Not gameplay balance. Even the skill-matching in SWAT is different in terms of likely end result than vanilla Team Slayer. And we have to reward players based on a wide range of skills. It is easier, in theory, to balance an MLG game because there's less variation in skill, than a normal matchmaking experience. But I agree with proportionality, of course.

Another integer to think about is satisfaction. Can I feel satisfied having been beaten 50-35, that it felt both fun and fair? And here's a question: Would it be better to have an unbalanced game that everyone really enjoyed, or a very balanced game that pnly 1% of people enjoy? And how do you adjust the slider on that argument?

OuterWorldVoice said:
And here's a question: Would it be better to have an unbalanced game that everyone really enjoyed, or a very balanced game that only 1% of people enjoy? And how do you adjust the slider on that argument?
People seem to play regardless of how much they enjoy it though...

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:
People seem to play regardless of how much they enjoy it though...

Not me, done with the turd until the beta hoppers, and if I still don't enjoy it then, I'll wait for Halo 4.

What were the population numbers like last night? Interested if Gears took any away?

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're talking about mathematical balance then. Not gameplay balance. Even the skill-matching in SWAT is different in terms of likely end result than vanilla Team Slayer. And we have to reward players based on a wide range of skills. It is easier, in theory, to balance an MLG game because there's less variation in skill, than a normal matchmaking experience. But I agree with proportionality, of course.

Another integer to think about is satisfaction. Can I feel satisfied having been beaten 50-35, that it felt both fun and fair? And here's a question: Would it be better to have an unbalanced game that everyone really enjoyed, or a very balanced game that pnly 1% of people enjoy? And how do you adjust the slider on that argument?

This is very true.

Even on paper, Armor Lock is balanced. But in gameplay it ends up being not fun or satisfying to fight against.

Balance shouldn't be simplified into math. Fun needs to be taken into account. And the complex problem with player skill and weapon difficulty.

For example, in Gears 3, the sawed off is balanced "mathematically" Its only effective in super close range, and has a long reload.

But its far too effective for how EAAAASSSYYYY it is to use. It's a weapon you don't need to aim, just aim in the general direction, and it DESTROYS people with such ease it ends up feeling like a cheap and frustrating weapon. It breaks the flow of combat despite being mathematically balanced.

Top Bottom