• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Rickenslacker said:
The beach push is fun. The space section is agonizing after the first playthrough.
It certainly doesn't help that the longest cinematic in the entire game is smack dab in the middle of that mission, and it's unskippable.

Interesting Campaign discussions going on in here. I think I need to replay the Halo 3 campaign, but except for the Scarab part of The Storm I remember feeling underwhelmed by it. I dont know why because the discussions are making it seem pretty good. I suppose now that I know a bit more and may try the alternate routes so to speak I might enjoy it more.

With Halo 3 I remember The Ark and The Covenant (are those the right mission names?) pretty much blowing me away in terms of fun. Nothing in Reach came close BUT Reach has a good campaign.

bobs99 ... said:
Interesting Campaign discussions going on in here. I think I need to replay the Halo 3 campaign, but except for the Scarab part of The Storm I remember feeling underwhelmed by it. I dont know why because the discussions are making it seem pretty good. I suppose now that I know a bit more and may try the alternate routes so to speak I might enjoy it more.

With Halo 3 I remember The Ark and The Covenant (are those the right mission names?) pretty much blowing me away in terms of fun. Nothing in Reach came close BUT Reach has a good campaign.

Thinking back i enjoyed alot of halo 3's campaign. Cortana is easily the worst level the rest are more than replayable.

StalkerUKCG said:
Thinking back i enjoyed alot of halo 3's campaign. Cortana is easily the worst level the rest are more than replayable.

Cortana was a aweful level. I cant believe they thought it was fun enough to ship lol. Im pretty happy that ODST and Reach avoided that one annoying Flood level which has to be in every Halo game lol.

bobs99 ... said:

The only thing Halo 3's campaign is missing is that story that gives it the necessary oomph to help you remember. The gameplay and encounter design are the best in the series, but a good story would've helped focus your attention.

Booshka

The two main reasons that I didn't like Halo 3's Campaign was because of Brutes as the primary enemy, and too many vehicle focused maps. I prefer the balance of Halo CE, where most of the levels are based on infantry combat, and the vehicle sections are either quick and focused or used sparingly. Only AoTCR and Halo are the levels that are primarily vehicle levels, and even those have a lot of great infantry encounters. In Halo 3, I never liked that I was fighting Brutes the whole game, and I have never loved Halo games because of the vehicles, so it just felt like too much of Halo 3 was made up of vehicle combat.

Halo 3 is my least played Halo Campaign, and I honestly can't even remember most of the second half of it, I ran through it on Legendary 4 player co op in like 4 hours. I never really returned to it because the gameplay of Halo 3 was lacking imo, and because of all the damn Brutes and vehicles. Every time I would try and give it a shot in Solo campaign, I would become bored in 30 mins or less and quit.

Booshka said:
The two main reasons that I didn't like Halo 3's Campaign was because of Brutes as the primary enemy, and too many vehicle focused maps. I prefer the balance of Halo CE, where most of the levels are based on infantry combat, and the vehicle sections are either quick and focused or used sparingly. Only AoTCR and Halo are the levels that are primarily vehicle levels, and even those have a lot of great infantry encounters. In Halo 3, I never liked that I was fighting Brutes the whole game, and I have never loved Halo games because of the vehicles, so it just felt like too much of Halo 3 was made up of vehicle combat.

Halo 3 is my least played Halo Campaign, and I honestly can't even remember most of the second half of it, I ran through it on Legendary 4 player co op in like 4 hours. I never really returned to it because the gameplay of Halo 3 was lacking imo, and because of all the damn Brutes and vehicles. Every time I would try and give it a shot in Solo campaign, I would become bored in 30 mins or less and quit.
Brutes are definitely one of the worst things to happen to the encounters I think. They were just never nearly as fun to take down as Elites. Even aesthetically, having their armour shed isn't as satisfying as seeing an energy shield pop.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You know those excellent Mythic guides by Tyrant? Well the dude has his own site now with all the guides up in one place.

It gets better. You can now PAY him to play Halo with you.

$25.00 - He'll help you get ONE Daily or Weekly Challenge
$35.00 - He'll play ONE mission with you on any Halo game
$50.00 - He'll help you get ONE Campaign Achievement (not all Campaign Achievements apply either)

Bargain!

I didn't think there would be a casual alternative to paid MLG Pro lessons, but the day has finally arrived.

Dude built up a ton of respect doing those sweet guides. Used them myself for a number of Weeklies. Now he just shat it all away.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still think Halo 3's Brutes are more fun to fight than Reach's Elites. Which is fucking sad. One of my biggest disappointments in the entire series.

Reach's Elites just feel overpowered and cheap. And their jerky, erratic animations make them feel more frustrating than intelligent or graceful.

Booshka

omg.kittens said:
I still think Halo 3's Brutes are more fun to fight than Reach's Elites. Which is fucking sad. One of my biggest disappointments in the entire series.

Reach's Elites just feel overpowered and cheap. And their jerky, erratic animations make them feel more frustrating than intelligent or graceful.
I understand this sentiment as well, they behave strangely sometimes, and the fact that they can just rush toward you and beat you down at will is frustrating as well. They aren't stunned like they should be, and have much more melee damage than you. Overall, they are better to fight than Brutes imo, but aren't as fun as Halo CE elites, which were formidable and smart, but not overpowering and cheap with rush tactics. Elites in Halo CE were easier to stun if you had a shotgun or could melee after weakening their shields. In Reach, they don't slow down at all until their shields are dropped, and they have a lot more shield strength than they ever have.

Dani said:
You know those excellent Mythic guides by Tyrant? Well the dude has his own site now with all the guides up in one place.

$50.00 - He'll help you get ONE Campaign Achievement (not all Campaign Achievements apply either)

Bargain!

I didn't think there would be a casual alternative to paid MLG Pro lessons, but the day has finally arrived.

Dude built up a ton of respect doing those sweet guides. Used them myself for a number of Weeklies. Now he just shat it all away.

Haha oh wow thats aweful. On the plus side next time I need to get 5 assists or whatever I can just pay him 25 quid to do it for me. Good luck getting 5 assists on Reach Tyrant, that 25 quid will work out to less than minimum wage for how long it will take you. /troll.

I really hope no one ever uses this service. I really do. 50 dollers for a achievement. Thats pretty shocking. If ANYONE goes for that they deserve a slap.

Please note that you are not actually paying for the achievement/challenge itself but rather the time I spend helping you get it.

So I take it after a hour or so if he hasnt helped you unlock the challenge or whatever... you basically payed for nothing lol.

omg.kittens said:

Oh yeah those brutes sucked. I also agree with the Elites. Legendary Reach is basically either an insane amount of shots to kill or easy noob combo kills all the way. Unfortunatly thats how I completed Reach Legendary (putting like 12 DMR shots into an enemy isnt fun). It was probably easier than my first run of the game lol.

Dani said:

Bargain!

Is this not against fair use policy?, he is effectively making money from another persons work. Surely a game cannot be used for commercial services. This asshat deserves to get C&D's at the very least.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
StalkerUKCG said:
Is this not against fair use policy?, he is effectively making money from another persons work. Surely a game cannot be used for commercial services. This asshat deserves to get C&D's at the very least.

You know what, he's tried to get around the Xbox T/C's with this disclaimer.

Tyrant said:
Please note that you are not actually paying for the achievement/challenge itself but rather the time I spend helping you get it.

I think it's pretty obvious what he is doing and trying to protect himself with some small print should really work.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to report this...

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

Bargain!

I honestly thought you were joking, until I clicked through. What a...strange...thing to do. I have huge respect for the guy and the work he's done on all the Mythic/Legendary guides, but sheesh.

Rickenslacker said:
Brutes are definitely one of the worst things to happen to the encounters I think. They were just never nearly as fun to take down as Elites. Even aesthetically, having their armour shed isn't as satisfying as seeing an energy shield pop.
Depending on the Brute, they had shields and armor.

But really, the Brutes in 3 and the Elites from CE and 2 are largely the same. The main difference is that Brutes have a pack mentality, and the Elites like to go it alone.

Tunavi

Banned

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tunavi said:
His mind-set is what lead to de-ranking and the abundance of alt accounts in Halo 3 where really good players would trick or fool the system to let them play against lesser opponents and I really hated that side of the Halo community.

LOL! At least you were joking. =P

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
I hope we see a good story-focused level in Halo 4. We haven't seen one, well, a good one, since 343 Guilty Spark in Halo 1.
Where's my thumbs up button? The attention to minute details and environmental storytelling was really great in this chapter, and I agree it's something that hasn't been seen enough in the Halo games.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
Now I can finally get those 1000 credit bonuses. What a generous guy, that tyrant...

The black market price for a COD BLOPS Prestige lobby is around the same price Tyrant is asking for for a single Campaign Achievement.

He's got to be careful he doesn't price himself outside of the market. LOL

Dax01 said:
Depending on the Brute, they had shields and armor.

But really, the Brutes in 3 and the Elites from CE and 2 are largely the same. The main difference is that Brutes have a pack mentality, and the Elites like to go it alone.
The thing is Elites are cool looking and Brutes are space apes. To hell with Brutes.

Zeouterlimits said:
The Exodus one feels very like - 'We're struggling to have you see this narrative important event, here, sit in this Falcon and shoot this unimportant stuff so we can make you see it and claim it's for all intensive purposes a cutscene'.

Are you referring to the Arbiter bits in the Library? Attacked by Flood/Sentinels?

If so, very different circumstance in that you've some level of movement control.
Yep, the Arbiter stuff and the barge with Chief and the Buggers. Those seemed mercifully short and sweet compared to Reach's offerings.

Tha Robbertster said:
Doesn't matter dude, squids wasn't online anyway.
Sorry man. Hopefully we can get together soon. :-(

GhaleonEB said:
I'm down for some co-op Halo 3 anytime I'm on, regardless of what game I'm playing.
This is good to know. :)

That Tyrant shit is just shameful.

Ken

Dani said:

Bargain!

Got to pay off all those upcoming titles some way.

Dug

Banned
Dani said:

Bargain!

$50 for an achievement?!?!

A fucking achievement?!?!

Tunavi

Banned
x47dZ.png

kylej

Banned
Dani said:
You know what, he's tried to get around the Xbox T/C's with this disclaimer.

I think it's pretty obvious what he is doing and trying to protect himself with some small print should really work.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to report this...

Hey that type of logic works for all the prostitutes I pick up via Craigslist so it ought to work for Reach challenges. I mean,

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:

Bargain!

It has to be a joke. It just has to be a joke. If not then he sure the hell is. Stupid. So very very stupid.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Does anyone know what kind of gametypes are going to be released with no bloom?

Are we getting just the standard slayer or are we getting slayer no AAs? what about Objective games?

GhaleonEB

LAUGHTREY said:
Does anyone know what kind of gametypes are going to be released with no bloom?

Are we getting just the standard slayer or are we getting slayer no AAs? what about Objective games?
Outside of the beta hopper, we don't know yet. Probably because it's still in the works and it's nailed down yet. I'm guessing we won't see what the initial set of game types are and implementation looks like until a few weeks before CEA launches.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Outside of the beta hopper, we don't know yet. Probably because it's still in the works and it's nailed down yet. I'm guessing we won't see what the initial set of game types are and implementation looks like until a few weeks before CEA launches.

I'd imagine we'd get at least two hoppers for CEA maps and gametypes, Slayer and Objective. And inside those we'll get a mix of Zero-Bloom, Reduced-Bloom, 3SK Pistol and Default (no changes to bloom or the Pistol) for Slayer, Flags, Bombs et al.

We'll know for sure nearer the time.

Add me to the consensus that Halo 3 had the best Campaign of the series. Cortana is awfulawfulAWFUL, and there aint much of a story, but the enemy encounters and general level design is just fantastic, really shows off the Halo-style of versatile combat, varied AI, and great overall pacing. Really fun, very replayable. I'd put Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark, and the Covenant up with any level in the series as one of the best.

Reach didn't do that for me. A combination of the different weapons I didn't like as much, an even worse story with characters I can't even remember the name of, much like why I should care about any of them, and just a real middling feeling to the whole thing. Halo 3 builds up brilliantly with Sierra 117 and Crow's Nest, easing you into the campaign and the challenges you're gonna face, then it pretty much kicks into overdrive for the next couple levels, dialing down a bit for a a good Flood level that's short and sweet without overstaying its welcome like many Flood levels, then back to the awesome of The Ark and The Covenant. The entire Halo Reach campaign, I was waiting for it to get great. Instead, I was during boring ass spaceship missions and boring ass flying around the city stages that just draaaaaag on forever.

Outside of Cortana, I could replay Halo 3 on Heroic or Legendary with some buddies whenever. I NEVER feel the need to replay Halo Reach ever again.

Tunavi

Banned
Dani I think what I meant earlier is that I like close games, but I want to be the one doing really well during those close games.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Dani I think what I meant earlier is that I like close games, but I want to be the one doing really well during those close games.
I think that's probably true of everyone.

But I think I get what you mean. In Halo 3, I could have fun even if I was losing, because it generally felt fair, and the core game was more fun. With Reach I want to yell "bullshit!" a dozen times in each game, be it bloom, armor lock, my Warthog getting rolled by two DMR users, a camping Banshee, a sniper round blowing up my vehicle, etc. I Halo 3, I blamed my lack of skill, and just did by best. With Reach there's that too, but there's also just a lot more frustration that I feel is out of my hands, and that leads to me blaming the game as much as myself.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tunavi said:
I hate close games. I suggested a feature for the TU that would make my weapons do 200% damage. Sadly it was a last minute casualty due to test finding said "feature."

kylej said:
yo Cleansing you getting online sometime or should I start drinking and watch the red bull stream

Im actually going to drink a red bull and yea I'll dong in Reach maybe, but I swear if I get Shishka'd once I'm switching it over to Gears.

Top Bottom