• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Kuroyume said:
Top of the list for Halo 4 has to be speed.
speed increase, inertia decrease, jump increase, and more ways to get around the maps, along with jump shortcuts. I'd be ok with ghost edges coming back too.

Oh dear. My posts on the D.Servers issue (in response to the Aussie article) may have kicked off this fire..

Not my intent. Think People should step away from the PC every time they get start generalising.
Hydranockz said:
It's nice to want things.

It's not as nice to whine all the time :p
Don't think that's particularly fair this time. Dedis have come up on a small scale a few times before, but the issue of the player experience (& how Gold should improve this) is a big one worth talking about.

Personally I'd like some hard-facts and data about the changes dedis would make to the Halo experience. Improvement per player etc.

Hey guys what have I missed? Ahaha just kidding. I spent the last hour catching up on this thread. I found the last 3-4 pages of this thread eerily similar to this clip, or at least the overall mood that it put me in :)

Hitmonchan107 said:
This has been a pretty life-changing day for me. So as I get drunk and play games, let me do something for you guys:

The first two people to quote this post get a Cortana Avatar Prop.
I hope in a good way, sir.

wwm0nkey

Some Halo 4 info needs to drop soon, I want to know some more about the game already lol

Also 3 more days till potential Hang Em High reveal.

wwm0nkey said:
Some Halo 4 info needs to drop soon, I want to know some more about the game already lol

Didn't we have the same discussion with Dax a few days ago? We have already lot more information than we had with Halo 3. Just patience. Anniversary is coming soon.

Remember the time where we waited about 2 years to get the first information?

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:

It will be a Forza 4 like drought for a couple of months.

:|

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Didn't we have the same discussion with Dax a few days ago? We have already lot more information than we had with Halo 3. Just patience. Anniversary is coming soon.

Remember the time where we waited about 2 years to get the first information?
I demand something at the VGAs!
(I am hopeful we might see something there, if not Halo 4 at least Destiny)

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:
We won't hear anything about 4 until Anniversary is out the door. It was the same with ODST leading in to Reach.
I know but December (VGAs) is going to be a long wait lol

Can't wait to see all the terminals in CEA and how they will relate to Halo 4

Ramirez said:
Sucks for that guy, but at the end of the day, all I really care about is getting the most out of my money. :p
Couldn't he argue the exact same thing in fairness? I mean, as is, that dude is paying $60 for Live and yet is unable to play Gears 3 because of trying to connect to servers.

I don't foresee 343i simply abandoning P2P. It might be nice to implement both systems.

TheOddOne

Twisted Pixel is making something all Halo fans want:
"We've been talking with them about this IP they have called Halo that hasn't been doing too well, we told them we could help them out with that some time," Bear joked. "Live action, Mad Dog McCree-style Halo, coming soon."
Fuck YES!

Edit:

iSmhf.png

Homeboyd

I think the challenge payouts have taken a slight hit. Wu, Ghaleon? Was the huge increase in payouts a temporary thing? They're still better than they used to be but I know the "kill 125 enemies in MP MM" payout was a bit bigger not too long ago. Same with the campaign challenge.

The 10 vehicles one should probably get a boost as well considering the multiple number of games you have to play to get it. I don't think I've ever gone after this one... just not worth it.

Thagomizer said:
The Cheiftan arena fight is one of the most underrated encounters in any Halo games. Nothing more badass than taking out a hammer-wielding Cheiftan with a Chopper as his pack watches you run his stupid ass over.
fixed for awesomeness.

2ldxh1y.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
I don't know jack squat about networking, but Reach is much better than Halo 3 in that regard. I just hope the Firefight/Campaign netcode gets an overhaul for Halo 4. I don't really care how it happens.

Without going into all sorts of technical details here, that would be extremely hard to do. No input lag either means removing all latency, or you use an asynchronous model like the one in MP.

However, given Halo's fairly complicated AI, the large number of characters and events, and the open level design, switching to an asynchronous model would lead to a terrible experience unless massive sacrifices were made. Otherwise there's simply far too much information that needs to be sent, and you'd have AI characters teleporting or doing very weird things.

FyreWulff

Photolysis said:
Without going into all sorts of technical details here, that would be extremely hard to do. No input lag either means removing all latency, or you use an asynchronous model like the one in MP.

However, given Halo's fairly complicated AI, the large number of characters and events, and the open level design, switching to an asynchronous model would lead to a terrible experience unless massive sacrifices were made. Otherwise there's simply far too much information that needs to be sent, and you'd have AI characters teleporting or doing very weird things.

This, pretty much. Doing Firefight in the Multiplayer networking engine would require the bandwidth of a normal human player per AI, meaning you'd be limited to a small amount of AI. Dedicated servers wouldn't solve this problem, either. The AI decisions would also have to be simplified and become much less complex.

FyreWulff said:
This, pretty much. Doing Firefight in the Multiplayer networking engine would require the bandwidth of a normal human player per AI, meaning you'd be limited to a small amount of AI. Dedicated servers wouldn't solve this problem, either. The AI decisions would also have to be simplified and become much less complex.

Is firefight/campaign netcode really that bad, i cant remember having a single flawed game in it.

StalkerUKCG said:
Is firefight/campaign netcode really that bad, i cant remember having a single flawed game in it.

Depends a lot on your connection and who you get matched up with. Generally the games I find are pretty good, and quite a few have no input lag whatsoever because the latency is under 33ms; stuff happens on the next frame.

The problem is that there's no room for error. Unfortunately a lot more people have problems with their connection than they think, yet who believe that their 20Mb/sec cable connection on a service known for having QoS issues is 'the shit' for online gaming.

FyreWulff

StalkerUKCG said:

It depends on how many people you have close to you and who you play with. It is much much more latency sensitive than the asynchronous multiplayer, due to the way everybody has to be on the 'same page' before it updates the game.

PooBone

StalkerUKCG said:
I've had alot of good ones but there's definitely been some games where the button lag is atrocious.

Thagomizer said:
If we are counting shotguns as power weapons, 2+ power weapons is pretty common on maps that size throughout the series. Prisoner was riddled with them.
In Halo CE, only the Sniper and Rockets are power weapons IMO.

inb4sowasthepistol

Louis Wu

KevinRo said:
I know what you were talking about.
No, you clearly don't.

I wasn't even INVOLVED in the argument about dedicated servers - I was simply pointing out to Dax that Australia was as big as the US. That's it.

Homeboyd said:
I think the challenge payouts have taken a slight hit. Wu, Ghaleon? Was the huge increase in payouts a temporary thing? They're still better than they used to be but I know the "kill 125 enemies in MP MM" payout was a bit bigger not too long ago. Same with the campaign challenge.

The 10 vehicles one should probably get a boost as well considering the multiple number of games you have to play to get it. I don't think I've ever gone after this one... just not worth it.

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=handful
125's been at 2500 forever. (We saw a 77 for 2310 twice around Halo Fest, but that's it.)

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=tough luck
The Tough Luck challenge hasn't been seen for a year - and at that point, it was worth 40% of today's payout.

I'd agree with you about the vehicle one (too many people fighting for the same kills).

The Real Napsta said:
In Halo CE, only the Sniper and Rockets are power weapons IMO.

inb4sowasthepistol
I would include the concussion rifle, sword, grenade launcher, and hammer, too, since they didn't exist in multiplayer for CE. Normally, I wouldn't consider the shotgun a power weapon, but the slower/weaker weapons combined with things like sprint basically make the shotgun a power weapon, especially on a map like Countdown.

Homeboyd

Louis Wu said:
http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=handful
125's been at 2500 forever. (We saw a 77 for 2310 twice around Halo Fest, but that's it.)

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=tough luck
The Tough Luck challenge hasn't been seen for a year - and at that point, it was worth 40% of today's payout.

I'd agree with you about the vehicle one (too many people fighting for the same kills).
Thanks. Can you look into some more detail on the "kill X players in MP MM" challenges to see if other #'s were associated with higher payouts (like you did with the 77 kills one)? I wasn't referring to the 125 one being a lower amount, just that I noticed that those types of challenges seemed to have a higher payout in recent weeks. I thought there was a 150 one for 4000cR but I could be wrong.

Louis Wu

Homeboyd said:
Thanks. Can you look into some more detail on the "kill X players in MP MM" challenges to see if other #'s were associated with higher payouts (like you did with the 77 kills one)? I wasn't referring to the 125 one being a lower amount, just that I noticed that those types of challenges seemed to have a higher payout in recent weeks. I thought there was a 150 one for 4000cR but I could be wrong.
lol - that link goes to ALL of them; you can look for yourself. ;)

Here's that same list, ordered by value (scroll to the bottom for the highest ones):

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=handful&o=value

Not seeing any 4000 cR ones. Oh, wait... just did a db search of 4000 cR payouts; on October 25, 2010, the WEEKLY was 'All in a Week's Work', 1000 mp kills for 4000. That one showed up a few times, for much more:

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=week's%20work

GhaleonEB

Photolysis said:

I'm aware of all this, and am familiar with the models and why they are used. But the fact is, for many games of Firefight, most players have a terrible time because of the input lag. I think it renders the game literally unplayable for anything other than hurling rockets at enemies. Something needs to be figured out, either a significant improvement on current system, or something else. Because the experience of significant input lag and an unplayable game are indistinguishable.
Homeboyd said:

You can definitely tell the ones that have been boosted and the ones that have not been. Agree on the Firefight vehicle one, that takes a good long while. Most reliable way is to do Beachhead in Firefight Doubles, you'll snag several in a game that way. But it will still take 2-3 games (an hour of play) to get it.

I've taken to doing most of the Campaign Challenges lately since the Firefight playlists have been static all year, as the Campaign ones have gotten some nice boosts. (Today's is a bit small, though larger than the last occurrence, which was 1,000 cR last year.)

wwm0nkey

You know I kind of wonder if CEA is going to keep the original legendary ending or not. I mean I want to see some HD elite ass garbing as much as the next guy but a lead into Halo 4 would be pretty sweet too.

daedalius

So just finished Ghosts of Onyx...

I guess the planet Onyx is probably a peak of what the shield world Chief is traveling to in Halo 4; which is totally awesome. What do you guys think?

Now need to start on Cryptum and finish before Glasslands comes out... might be rough.

wwm0nkey

daedalius said:
So just finished Ghosts of Onyx...

I guess the planet Onyx is probably a peak of what the shield world Chief is traveling to in Halo 4; which is totally awesome. What do you guys think?

Now need to start on Cryptum and finish before Glasslands comes out... might be rough.
All I have to say about Ghost of Onyx is that Kurt was a fucking boss.

wwm0nkey said:
You know I kind of wonder if CEA is going to keep the original legendary ending or not. I mean I want to see some HD elite ass garbing as much as the next guy but a lead into Halo 4 would be pretty sweet too.
Why not both? Just extended the old Legendary ending.

"This is it baby, hold me."
Bro-hug, with a little ass-grabbing on the side.

Then the Elite whispers:
"There is... another.... Johnson..."

HALO 4

daedalius

wwm0nkey said:
All I have to say about Ghost of Onyx is that Kurt was a fucking boss.

Uh yea, the finale with him... Master Chief quality there.
I kind wished he would have stayed alive for future stuff, but there is something to be said for emotional weight from one of the 'main characters' sacrificing himself at the end :(

wwm0nkey

daedalius said:
Uh yea, the finale with him... Master Chief quality there.
I kind wished he would have stayed alive for future stuff, but there is something to be said for emotional weight from one of the 'main characters' sacrificing himself at the end :(
Really loved his character,
you also kind of felt for him too since he pretty much raised all those kids to spartan III's only for most of them to die, it was basically like him loosing 300 of his children and he made a noble sacrifice at the end to save what few of his 'children' where left. Also the "Spartans never die" line was used fucking PERFECTLY.

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:
I'm aware of all this, and am familiar with the models and why they are used. But the fact is, for many games of Firefight, most players have a terrible time because of the input lag. I think it renders the game literally unplayable for anything other than hurling rockets at enemies. Something needs to be figured out, either a significant improvement on current system, or something else. Because the experience of significant input lag and an unplayable game are indistinguishable.

You can definitely tell the ones that have been boosted and the ones that have not been. Agree on the Firefight vehicle one, that takes a good long while. Most reliable way is to do Beachhead in Firefight Doubles, you'll snag several in a game that way. But it will still take 2-3 games (an hour of play) to get it.

I've taken to doing most of the Campaign Challenges lately since the Firefight playlists have been static all year, as the Campaign ones have gotten some nice boosts. (Today's is a bit small, though larger than the last occurrence, which was 1,000 cR last year.)
Well at least we don't get the Black Screen of Death like ODST so kindly offered at then end of wave 4, Round 3, set 4. Lol. Good times.

Really though I've rarely experienced unplayable games. Probably one reason for that is that I play firefight with people I know have good connections or are decently close to me in location.
I'm sure 343 will find a way to improve upon Bungie's netcode.

Top Bottom