• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thermite said:
I said what I said because in the original post I replied to, you came off as a Microsoft spokesperson. It was meant to be a bit of a joke.

Fine dude. I just don't find it funny. And it detracts from the issue at hand and just seemed like an easy way to dismiss my position.

Thermite said:
I don't even know how to respond to this. I mean, you're essentially saying if someone thinks that a particular platform has a superior online experience and functionality that they shouldn't ask for those same features to come to another platform. Wow.

I think it's wanting one product's features to hop other to another when both base products themselves aren't compatible. I don't think plugging in dedicated servers is a magical band aid just games on another service predominately use them.

I also think the console environment and PC environment in terms of online games are vastly differently, despite surface similarities.

Thermite said:
Did I say they were going to happen? Nope. All I said is that people have a right to express their desires to see such features come to XBL (or any service that doesn't have them for that matter).

Folks do have that right and I'm not advocating taking that away from anyone. However there's a difference between constructively expressing your desires and out and out whining for the sake of it. HaloGAF is notorious for post-game stress release posting and venting. I've done my fair share and I don't mistake that for something it isn't.

Thermite said:
Is the comparison so silly? I don't know, I don't think it is at all. My point was that if people never complained about something that was less than desirable, or made suggestions on how to improve an experience, would any company really just decide to make changes out of the blue? I'm not so sure. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I think the treat of stagnation in a competitive environment is enough to drive change on its own. Not that that's how things are done and should be done.

You did have a point about a popular demand turning into an actual feature, I just the perspective on the scale is skewed here. The most vocal complains online translate into the smallest segment of the audience having the loudest voice. With Bloom, it was inevitable that any TU had to make changes. Ultimately, the Bloom changes will have a small and limited impact and that is reflective of the true size of the audience wanting it.

Thermite said:
I don't think they're a magical cure either. What I do think is that it makes the online gaming experience better. Which do you prefer: European hosts or European dedicated servers?

I've never played on many games with Euro servers. They usually die out fast with older games. =P

Obviously if I had the choice, I'd want the best experience, so I'd choice which option would give it to me.

Thermite said:
Trueskill, matchmaking, and all the other online functionality really doesn't have much to do with how a bullet is perceived on host and off, does it? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think it does. If someone who shouldn't be getting host, does (and there are plenty of instances where this happens), it makes the experience completely unenjoyable for everyone involved except the host.

I agree. Poor hosts leads to bad experiences. I think Reach demonstrates an evolution of the host selection going on behind the scenes, in addition to the better netcode. My main beef is host migration. Host sometimes never leaves a bad host and sometimes leaves a good host for a bad one and more than half the games I play are interrupted by seemingly pointless but consistently annoying host migration.

Dedicated servers would in fact fix this but I think it's like treating a foot injury by cutting off the leg.

Thermite said:
Are you really telling me that you have a more enjoyable experience with a random, unknown American host than a dedicated server that is in the US? Really?

I've played with good and bad US players and thus hosts. If a US server gives me a bad experience then it will always give me a bad experience. If a game gives me a US host and I have a bad experience, then at least I can hope for an improvement in the next game.

Thermite said:
I definitely wouldn't. Again, wouldn't region filtering help keep US folks again US folks, and European folks against European folks? Granted there will be definitely be situations where, in order to get a game, you'll be matched up against people outside your region, but I still can't help but feel a dedicated server would be better than p2p. At the very least, you wouldn't have to worry about a single person having an automatic advantage due to him/her having host.

I don't think having host is a significant advantage. I remember when Reach came out many of the folks here were complimenting the game because it was seemless enough they couldn't even tell who was host.

Whilst dedicated serves would remove this slight advantage, it wouldn't do anything to improve the experience for the player that have a bad connection to the server. Those players would never be able to hope for an improved experience with that server as it would always be fixed. They either have to leave or deal with it.

I think you are right about the increase in US versus US and Euro versus Euro situations. Games would be increasingly split between geographies. The disadvantage here is that the more servers and players a country has, the better the experience for players in that particular country and vice versa for the worse an experience gets the less servers per country.

Additionally, although cross geographical matches would be rarer overall, players' already thin tolerances (going by reactions here) for games with sub-optimal connections would be stretched to breaking point. Folks would be increasingly likely to simply refuse to play on non-regional servers.

Thermite said:
Smarter men than me or you could find a bunch of solutions to this problem, I'm sure, but two simple solutions come to mind: A)only get enough servers that the costs handle for non-NA residents and B) allow p2p to handle the situations where the UK folks are playing with UK folks while the servers are full.

I think a mix would be interesting - didn't the Gears 3 beta try this? I have no idea about the results of that kind of experiment of what you would be able to learn from it. It it mitigates any of the negatives that I've pointed out, I think it might be worth looking into maybe. But I just don't know.

Thermite said:
Joining any host that isn't located in your particular region is definitely obvious and off-putting. I really don't see how an individual host is better than a dedicated server. In or out of the country.

Hosts change every match. One poor games doesn't mean the next one will be poor. The varying host conditions are something that I have gotten used to. I can play folks from France, Denmark, Spain and from one coast of America to the other with very little difference overall. Occasionally there will be a shitty host, but shitty hosts aren't exclusive to one country.

I don't think you'd get that range of players or that kind of experience using dedicated servers exclusively.

PNut

Banned
The biggest problem in Reach is quitters. I know it's been beat to death already now, but start taking their credits away or something. The quit ban is WORTHLESS. I know there's nothing that can be done to completely eliminate the problem but there are things that can be done to help the problem.

Tashi0106 said:
You guys wanna see some funny shit? Start a Halo 4 wish list thread in the gaming side

Do it.

A27 Tawpgun said:
>ADS
>Sprint
>More Gore
>Less Color
>People still play Halo?

Anyone else find it funny when guys that play Warhammer criticize Halo for character designs? As grimdark as the setting and backstory is, the character designs in that series looks like Fisher Price toys that have blood.

Ramirez

Louis Wu said:
Not really arguing for one side or the other, just adding some data that supports Dani's point that Americans (and I certainly include myself in this generalization) tend to miss some of the stuff that players in other countries deal with. This was posted today on the HBO forum by someone who lives on Reunion Island (off the coast of Madagascar) in response to a discussion about dedicated servers, and it certainly opened my eyes to a problem I didn't even realize existed.

Sucks for that guy, but at the end of the day, all I really care about is getting the most out of my money. :p

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Plywood said:
I know that feel, when I play TF2. Which is why I mostly play Medic.

I miss TF2. If my brother's friend didn't spill his drink into my tower, I'd probably be playing that right now. ; _ ;

It seems like everyone on gaming side realizes a joke thread when they see it and are duly playing along

also
>wishing we had something that PC gaming has had for over a decade
> OVER ENTITLED AMERICANS

what the fuck.

wwm0nkey said:
Your face is a disaster! :mad:
tumblr_lriti0iBWQ1qdf6w8o1_r1_500.gif

Havok

TU2: Please fix the camo bug that Bungie knew about and said they fixed way back in the beta.

Also, remove camo loadouts.

daedalius

Thagomizer said:
Anyone else find it funny when guys that play Warhammer criticize Halo for character designs? As grimdark as the setting and backstory is, the character designs in that series looks like Fisher Price toys that have blood.

What Warhammer fans are criticizing Halo? Must have missed this one... I like both character designs myself; they are just different.

daedalius said:
What Warhammer fans are criticizing Halo? Must have missed this one... I like both character designs myself; they are just different.

DOn't have any specific examples, but it's something that I've noticed throughout the internet.

daedalius

Thagomizer said:
DOn't have any specific examples, but it's something that I've noticed throughout the internet.

All I've noticed is the constant Spartan vs Space Marine debates, which generally whichever side the forum is biased to will obviously win ;) (so here, Spartans would win, on dakkadakka.com, Space Marine will win. It seems to be very difficult to have a 'deadliest warrior'-esque comparison)

However, in all of those debates, I've never really noticed them going after the character designs.

daedalius said:
All I've noticed is the constant Spartan vs Space Marine debates, which generally whichever side the forum is biased to will obviously win ;) (so here, Spartans would win, on dakkadakka.com, Space Marine will win. It seems to be very difficult to have a 'deadliest warrior'-esque comparison)

However, in all of those debates, I've never really noticed them going after the character designs.

Speaking as a Halo fanboy and someone who doesn't care about Warhammer...it'd be kindof a curbstomp, and not in the Chief's favor.

Anyway, this conversation has gone on too long for a one-off comment, anyway.

KevinRo

Louis Wu said:
rofl

(We weren't talking about population - we were talking about DISTANCE.)

I know what you were talking about.

You tried to refute his stance on dedicated hosting by showing a map of the two countries layered ontop of eachother, almost trying to defend your point that we(Americans) cry about dedicated hosting too much... because the countries are similar in size by an eye check???

What you fail to realize is population density in conjunction with population count and country size are dictating factors that you don't incorporate into speeds, costs and maintenance.

Of course people in the United States want dedicated hosting. Why is it so hard to understand that people want to play competitive games online without much lag?? What's even worse is how can a game 10 years ago (Star Wars Battlefront) give users the option to turn their Xbox(not 360) into a dedicated server, but games on the 360 don't give that option?

It's obvious dedicated halo gamers want that option. Why not make it happen 343i

Plywood said:
The AA's are the CoDification of Halo brah.

Besides I only rocked Jetpack cause it was Asylum KotH and you gotta get the enemy team out ASAP.

Also just checked my Double Team record.

8BdON.png

1062 wins 82 losses.

dat high score

Meh Dominators is better. The original Double Team tryhard.

Untitled-19.png

Louis Wu said:
Not really arguing for one side or the other, just adding some data that supports Dani's point that Americans (and I certainly include myself in this generalization) tend to miss some of the stuff that players in other countries deal with. This was posted today on the HBO forum by someone who lives on Reunion Island (off the coast of Madagascar) in response to a discussion about dedicated servers, and it certainly opened my eyes to a problem I didn't even realize existed.
Unfortunately GAF don't care.

Luckily I could avoid the Server talking with sleeping. So let's make a topic change. What do you guys think about the map Countdown?

Hypertrooper said:

Luckily I could avoid the Server talking with sleeping. So let's make a topic change. What do you guys think about the map Countdown?
Crappy power weapons on default Countdown, not color coded and too much extraneous geometry around corners and doorways is frustrating. It's really close to being a great map.

Barrow Roll said:
Crappy power weapons on default Countdown, not color coded and too much extraneous geometry around corners and doorways is frustrating. It's really close to being a great map.

The color coding has never been an issue for me. I never have a problem finding my way around the map because I always know what side I'm on based on what side the outer wall is.

Somethings about this game is just so troll.

In zombies I kill a zombie. Person on my team shoots me and I get infected. Clearly trolling cause he know the zombie hit my shields off and knew it would infect me. Not to mention it made me zombie the two rounds prior.

I just quit after that. It was just a sad moment in this game.

Start a new game and I'm forced to be zombie again. Quit 2.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:

Spiritual successor to Construct, about 80% direct remake.

Thagomizer said:
The color coding has never been an issue for me. I never have a problem finding my way around the map because I always know what side I'm on based on what side the outer wall is.
No problems getting around the map but not having clear visible red and blue sides on a symmetrical map is a pain in the ass for call-outs.

This has been a pretty life-changing day for me. So as I get drunk and play games, let me do something for you guys:

The first two people to quote this post get a Cortana Avatar Prop.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Huh? It definitely has some similarities, but I don't agree with that at all.
Countdown is definitely better, but both default settings stink. I don't get why Bungie had the Sword, Concussion Rifle, plus a Shotgun all on that map. Concussion Rifle and Shotgun would have sufficed.

Hopefully 343 makes lots of asymmetric maps. Bungie did it great in Halo 2 with Ivory Tower, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Headlong, etc. I suppose Bungie has tried, i.e. Boardwalk, High Ground, but both were not nearly as fun as the previous iterations.

Striker said:
Countdown is definitely better, but both default settings stink. I don't get why Bungie had the Sword, Concussion Rifle, plus a Shotgun all on that map. Concussion Rifle and Shotgun would have sufficed.

Hopefully 343 makes lots of asymmetric maps. Bungie did it great in Halo 2 with Ivory Tower, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Headlong, etc. I suppose Bungie has tried, i.e. Boardwalk, High Ground, but both were not nearly as fun as the previous iterations.

Because the Concussion Rifle isn't a power weapon? Unless an Elite a Brute is holding it, you might as well be throwing tennis balls at people.

Kajiba

Hitmonchan107 said:
This has been a pretty life-changing day for me. So as I get drunk and play games, let me do something for you guys:

I'll like that

Striker

Thagomizer said:
Because the Concussion Rifle isn't a power weapon? Unless an Elite a Brute is holding it, you might as well be throwing tennis balls at people.
You need two power weapons on that map? It seems overkill as is. Concussion Rifle works pretty dang nice on there, at least for me.

Striker said:
You need two power weapons on that map? It seems overkill as is. Concussion Rifle works pretty dang nice on there, at least for me.

If we are counting shotguns as power weapons, 2+ power weapons is pretty common on maps that size throughout the series. Prisoner was riddled with them.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:

Life-changing? I'm assuming awesome stuff if you're happily drinking and giving out free shit.

Top Bottom