• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

New videos are
2ex7v9w.jpg

except for the odd thing or two, CEA LOOKS SO GOOD

I think they're both up at the edelmanadmin server

feel

PooBone said:
Care to elaborate?
I probably shouldn't go into detail because it's not things that look bad per se. Mostly visual changes that seem jarring to me because I'm such a huge fanboy of CE and wouldn't want anything to look different (or closer to Reach). Disregard me.

edit-
I only gave the video a quick look on my cel because my pc conection is being shit

PooBone

Letters said:
I probably shouldn't go into detail because it's not things that look bad per se. Mostly visual changes that seem jarring to me because I'm such a huge fanboy of CE and wouldn't want anything to look different (or closer to Reach). Disregard me.

edit-
I only gave the video a quick look on my cel because my pc conection is being shit
I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm genuinely interested in what seems jarring to you. I've played CE more than any other video game, ever. For me, the biggest thing is the effect you see when an elite's shield pops. It's way more in your face than I remember. I also don't like how the marines are all carrying backpacks now.

GhaleonEB

PooBone said:
I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm genuinely interested in what seems jarring to you. I've played CE more than any other video game, ever. For me, the biggest thing is the effect you see when an elite's shield pops. It's way more in your face than I remember. I also don't like how the marines are all carrying backpacks now.
There are some visual effects such as that, which I didn't like on first watch. But at this point I'm withholding such comments until I've played it, as I'm not sure how much of it is different as opposed to not as good. It's a different take on things so it will take some time to get used to it. (My beef is the Needler effects.)

feel

PooBone said:
I also don't like how the marines are all carrying backpacks now.
Yeah that was one of the things, I don't like how the marines are now the boring CallOfDuty/Reach type ones instead of the cool Aliens/HaloCE ones.

PooBone

Blue Ninja said:
Not a fan of Johnson's look and some of the animations look a bit funky. Overall, though, it looks great.
All the animations in-game (not cutscenes) are exactly the same as Halo CE. It looks really stiff when you see them happening around all the megatextures, but overall probably a good thing they didn't try to update or smooth them out.

Blue Ninja said:
Not a fan of Johnson's look and some of the animations look a bit funky. Overall, though, it looks great.
Did 343 update all the animations ore just some? Why some and not others? Imma gonna watch the video again.

FyreWulff

PooBone said:
All the animations in-game (not cutscenes) are exactly the same as Halo CE. It looks really stiff when you see them happening around all the megatextures, but overall probably a good thing they didn't try to update or smooth them out.

In many respects, the Perfect Dark and Halo CE updates had the same goals: overhaul the skin, but keep the skeleton.

pdxbla_09.jpg

5353.PERFECTDARK.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

I imagine PD probably got helped by the fact that there was no facial animation.

I also wonder if the success of PD XBLA helped the pitch for Anniversary. It's a shame that PD didn't have the future/past switch, though.

Dax01 said:
Did 343 update all the animations ore just some? Why some and not others? Imma gonna watch the video again.

I was under the impression that CE:A has no new animations, barring any first person stuff.

feel

Dax01 said:
They updated the cutscene ones. Or did you spot new ones during gameplay? Will only be giving the BTS a proper look in a bit when I get home and watch the vid in good quality.

Striker said:
Definitely liked Max's Tombstone over Hang 'em High. I kind of wish they had gone that route instead of the older formula. The jump to the Needler walkway near the Shotgun spawn in blue was one new change, and was very helpful. The blast through the wall in red base was another cool addition they did - made attacking the base more friendly, and made for more escape routes. Overall it just had things work out so much better.

I agree with the changes they made for the Halo 2 version, but Hang em High still played better IMO because of the pistol and the fact that MC wasn't so limp wristed in Halo CE.

Halo 2 grenade throwing was/is a joke.

FyreWulff said:
I also wonder if the success of PD XBLA helped the pitch for Anniversary. It's a shame that PD didn't have the future/past switch, though.
Eh, it didn't have nearly the graphical leap that CEA has. Mostly just higher res textures, right?

FyreWulff said:
I was under the impression that CE:A has no new animations, barring any first person stuff.
There are two versions of every cinematic now, the updated versions have new animation. You can't switch during the cinematic.

No new animations in-game, from what I can tell.

ncsuDuncan said:
There are two versions of every cinematic now, the updated versions have new animation. You can't switch during the cinematic.

No new animations in-game, from what I can tell.
Oh okay. Well I'm fine with this. Cutsenes matter more to me in this situation.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Eh, it didn't have nearly the graphical leap that CEA has. Mostly just higher res textures, right?

The playable level geometry is the same with (MUCH) higher res textures. Anything that qualified as skybox was completely remodeled.

All the characters were completely remodeled, but they used the same animations. I think the reason they couldn't do a graphics switch is because they actually changed how the heads connected to bodies.

Every gun was completely remodeled. I think it went from like 300 polys per player and 500 polys per gun to 300,000 total.

capture from my own N64:

pdcompare_2.jpg

360 version direct shot:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s20554/perfect_dark_12560511722184.jpg

Earlier shot, once again from my own N64:

pdcompare_3_fixed.jpg

vs 360

pdxbla_09.jpg

Both remakes leave the playable geometry alone. If you could escape a level in the N64 version you can do it in the 360 version. Same with CE:A and CE. Definitely more effort than upressing a PS2 game and putting it on a disc.

edit: it should also be noted that the goal with Perfect Dark XBLA was native 1080p and 60fps, so it's not going to go as balls-out with graphic trinkets as Anniversary in that respect. But still a significant overhaul.

Woorloog

Banned
Letters said:
Yeah that was one of the things, I don't like how the marines are now the boring CallOfDuty/Reach type ones instead of the cool Aliens/HaloCE ones.
Am i the only one who prefers Reach-style Marines?

CEA looks very good*, i do wonder, however, if the pre-order bonus is only available on select retaillers? I'd love to pre-order HCEA from a certain local retailler but they still haven't listed the pre-order bonus. Since i cannot access the analyze function, i really want the pre-order bonus at least.

*A lot better than Reach IMO. The classic MP maps don't look nearly as good as CEA. Another reason not to bother with Reach anymore (along with ATLAS and BF3)

feel

Shotgun bug was not fixed. CANNOT UNSEE AAAAAAARRRGGHHH.
Shotgun heavy levels ruined. :(

But still, what a beautiful looking game. And there was something unexplainably heartwarming about seeing the coop partner doing the running animation while walking slowly. Can't wait to play through it again with a good friend, this time full screen. <3

Toy replica energy swords from the sequels.. smh

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Shotgun bug was not fixed. CANNOT UNSEE AAAAAAARRRGGHHH.
Shotgun heavy levels ruined. :(

But still, what a beautiful looking game. And there was something unexplainably heartwarming about seeing the coop partner doing the running animation while walking slowly. Can't wait to play through it again with a good friend, this time full screen. <3

Where did you see that? I know we asked several times here after we were told it was being looked into yet never got an answer.

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
wow that's pretty awesome

Game runs in native 1080p too. Each person in 4-player splitscreen has only 60 less vertical pixels than a single-screen CoD player :lol:

The Farsight is a huge upgrade, but you should see some of the other guns. The Cyclone doesn't even look the same. That's what I like about Anniversary, interesting when artists can rework a gun model with 5-10x the poly budget. "Holy shit, we can actually put details on this bitch!"

I don't have the equivalent N64 shot, but dem player models:

custom_1266001458841_1._joandelvis.jpg

I'll stop Perfect Dark fanboying it up in this thread. Too bad the PD thread on GAF is dead.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
That was the answer.

http://i54.tinypic.com/10e1t1k.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ah I only listened cause I didn't want to be spoiled Graphics wise if I buy it. Sad that it took another vidoc to answer our question. How anyone can play the game and not see that and catch it is beyond me. Also it's sad that we couldn't get a damn answer on it without having to see another vidoc to see it's still in. Not like we would have gotten pissed about it. Shit happens. Just man up and say yea the we missed that. We screwed up. Instead nothing.

GhaleonEB

So much hype today. As a package CEA is looking mighty fine, but for me it's been swallowed up by Skryim hype. Crushing that these come out so close together.

blamite

GhaleonEB said:
So much hype today. As a package CEA is looking mighty fine, but for me it's been swallowed up by Skryim hype. Crushing that these come out so close together.
Add in Assassin's Creed Revelations coming out the same day as Anniversary and Skyward Sword less than a week later and I'm going to be very broke (and low on free time) very soon. I don't usually want games to be delayed but this fall is the exception!

Man, CEA looks seriously amazing. I loved seeing the 'Reach Chief' footage, he just looks so wrong in there. Glad they went for the full on redux. Wish they gave the Marine's the same treatment but the one's in Reach are second to CE so it's not so bad.

Damn, I can't wait to play this over and over.

TheOddOne

Sorry 343i I'm ejecting myself from the TU playlist. I can take so much of people quitting, getting team killed and rediclous spawns (ok, thats not really ya'll fault). Back to the Team Slayer playlist.

stephen08

Actually seeing the Library (feature) in action makes me sad that I am not going to have that functionality when I play through it.

Everything else looks phenomenal though. I wonder how co-op over XBL will play, I'd be so disappointed if it is as rough as some Firefight games can be in Reach.

MrBig

TheOddOne said:
Sorry 343i I'm ejecting myself from the TU playlist. I can take so much of people quitting, getting team killed and rediclous spawns (ok, thats not really ya'll fault). Back to the Team Slayer playlist.
The team slayer playlist isn't filled with TKers and quitters?

TheOddOne

MrBig said:
The team slayer playlist isn't filled with TKers and quitters?
From the last 4 matches I played, none of them where TKers and quitters. I get what your saying though, just I had to vent a little. No doubt I'll go back, but that was my rage moment.

GhaleonEB said:

Tell me about it.

I had to make a choice on which game to get. I can only afford one game this Holiday season, so I chose Skyrim. Since CEA is technically a game I have already played, it was the obvious choice.

Hopefully Santa pulls through and gets me CEA for Christmas!

FyreWulff

PooBone said:
Yeah, but with Anniversary they're not just making higher res textures, they're completely redoing a lot of them. Just look at the walls inside the forerunner structures on 343 Guilty Spark. I was also under the impression that CE:A has no new animations, with the exception of cutscenes.

It depends on where in the game. Some of them are just higher-res, a lot more are complete new art.

The Forerunner structures were more open to interpretation over the original, but changing the blue marble floor to something else in XBLA wouldn't have made much sense. Look at the skybox behind Cassandra in the first shot, there's a completely new cityscape.

I'd say a comparison would be the inside of the forerunner structures versus the opening battle of Silent Cartographer. One can be re-interpreted and work, and one you really can't change much without making it feel weird. So the SC battle is an instance of an upres area versus a re-interpreted area.

http://fpsgamer.com/content/perfect-dark-original-2.jpg
http://fpsgamer.com/content/perfect-dark-xbla-2.jpg

Skyrim is getting a LOT of love on Gaf, can someone fill me in, I haven't been following it at all but when a game gets that much praise I am curious. I know its a RPG which has slightly put me off as generally I dont enjoy those games. Is there something in it for the non RPG fans which is worth a look at?

bobs99 ... said:
Skyrim is getting a LOT of love on Gaf, can someone fill me in, I haven't been following it at all but when a game gets that much praise I am curious. I know its a RPG which has slightly put me off as generally I dont enjoy those games. Is there something in it for the non RPG fans which is worth a look at?
from what I've seen it's pretty much an RPG fan's RPG

MrBig

-Yeti said:
I had to make a choice on which game to get. I can only afford one game this Holiday season, so I chose Skyrim. Since CEA is technically a game I have already played, it was the obvious choice.
This would have been the same for me. I'm getting BF3, Skyrim, CEA, and a new xbl with the course of a few weeks. The only bits I have to pay for are CEA and xbl, making the entirety of my gaming purchases this year $100.

Getting skyrim for free and BF3 I was able to pay off with some old gift cards.

Two things I don't get about the Kinect features:

• Did I really read that the reason why the Library/Encylopedia thing is Kinect-Only is that there were no buttons free? Please tell me that is wrong. Because, the D-Pad says hello.
  • And besides that, with all of these "voice" Kinect features, why couldn't I just, you know, use the microphone on my headset?

I get that they're trying to motivate Kinect sales, and these features aren't "required" to play the game (Thank God!), but still, kinda lame excuses for Kinect only.

FyreWulff

Epyon MX said:
Two things I don't get about the Kinect features:

• Did I really read that the reason why the Library/Encylopedia thing is Kinect-Only is that there were no buttons free? Please tell me that is wrong. Because, the D-Pad says hello.
  • And besides that, with all of these "voice" Kinect features, why couldn't I just, you know, use the microphone on my headset?

I get that they're trying to motivate Kinect sales, and these features aren't "required" to play the game (Thank God!), but still, kinda lame excuses for Kinect only.

You could move with the dpad in Halo 1. No idea if that functionality has been retained.

bobs99 ... said:

Maybe this article will help:

Skyrim: The RPG for the Rest of Us

I guess it has some good insight from a person who doesn't like RPGs.

TheOddOne

Did anybody write a analysis of the already released new terminals? Would like to read what people found out from them, even the little tidbits.

Top Bottom