• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

-Yeti said:
Maybe this article will help:

Skyrim: The RPG for the Rest of Us

I guess it has some good insight from a person who doesn't like RPGs.

Interesting that the writer rips George RR Martin, when in fact Skyrim was originally going to be a licensed game based on A Song of Ice and Fire, but then Bethesda wanted ultimate freedom over their game so they opted to not do that. The game has a ton of similarities to Martin's universe though.

This is in no way ripping that article, I just thought that was interesting.

Steelyuhas said:
Interesting that the writer rips George RR Martin, when in fact Skyrim was originally going to be a licensed game based on A Song of Ice and Fire, but then Bethesda wanted ultimate freedom over their game so they opted to not do that. The game has a ton of similarities to Martin's universe though.

This is in no way ripping that article, I just thought that was interesting.
Eh, not completely true. There was some talk about Beth doing a ASoIaF-rpg, but they ultimately decided they wanted to develop Skyrim instead.

GhaleonEB said:
So much hype today. As a package CEA is looking mighty fine, but for me it's been swallowed up by Skryim hype. Crushing that these come out so close together.
You know it. My Skyrim hype just went through the roof.

feel

some eye candy:

(excuse the screengrab quality, I didn't do it the optimal way, video looks better than these show)

MrBig

Some people, including me, are purposefully avoiding looking at the redesigned environments. Please link to an imgur gallery instead.

Kibbles

^ Gamersyde needs to get on that video so we can get some less-compressed screens.
So stoked to play this again in remastered glory. :D Looks great. T&R looks a little bright though. I'd like to see if they improved the night vision as well.

[edit] Oh have they put out the remastered theme online yet?

feel

MrBig said:
Some people, including me, are purposefully avoiding looking at the redesigned environments. Please link to an imgur gallery instead.
As with the previous games, you will have to bail out or browse without images if you don't wanna see the stuff that is officially released by the developers. I too complained that I didn't want to see anything of what bungie was releasing of Reach before release and that's what everyone here told me.

edit-
this post was stupid

blamite

I loooove the new look of the Halo mission. The lighting and atmosphere look pretty different from the original, but very great in their own way.

Letters said:
As with the previous games, you will have to bail out or browse without images if you don't wanna see the stuff that is officially released by the developers. I too complained that I didn't want to see anything of what bungie was releasing of Reach before release and that's what everyone here told me.
Ice cold :p

Letters said:

Wow, im suprised to hear that coming from you, that the kind of attitude I only expect to hear from the Halo Veterans among us. Your effectively telling people to get off of GAF if they want to stay dark when you could just easily link to an external image gallery. Why essentially force people off gaf? I dont get it. I really dont see why your impacted by not uploading big pictures.

TBH im not going dark, but im just so shocked at the logic behind your post. Especially since there are other reasons big ass pictures are detrimental to the thread.

Blue Ninja said:
Eh, not completely true. There was some talk about Beth doing a ASoIaF-rpg, but they ultimately decided they wanted to develop Skyrim instead.

Well I meant that dev cycle would have gone to the ASOIAF game, that's why I said that's what it was going to be.

wwm0nkey

reggie said:
Those screenshots just proved to me how terrible Reach looks. I'm glad 343 didn't stick with the dull, colourless, washed out look of Reach.
Most work on this game was done in the graphics but yes it looks way better than Reach.

reggie said:
Those screenshots just proved to me how terrible Reach looks. I'm glad 343 didn't stick with the dull, colourless, washed out look of Reach.

It's pretty amazing how much better Reach looks when you bump up the saturation/contrast to the levels seen in previous games.

God. I am so looking forward to Anniversary it's not funny.

It's different to how it was with Reach because this time I know I'm getting a campaign I love rather than having expectations that Bungie failed to reach.

Actually on the topic of Reach. I played the first four Acts of Gears 3 last weekend.
Delta Squad (you practically always have 3 AI teammates with you) are actually useful and perform much better as this Elite Squad than Noble Team EVER does.
My number one disappointment in the Reach campaign. Noble Team seem like Marine AI with God Mode & Armour Abilities turned on.

Zeouterlimits said:
God. I am so looking forward to Anniversary it's not funny.

It's different to how it was with Reach because this time I know I'm getting a campaign I love rather than having expectations that Bungie failed to reach.

Actually on the topic of Reach. I played the first four Acts of Gears 3 last weekend.
Delta Squad (you practically always have 3 AI teammates with you) are actually useful and perform much better as this Elite Squad than Noble Team EVER does.
My number one disappointment in the Reach campaign. Noble Team seem like Marine AI with God Mode & Armour Abilities turned on.

Well, Jorge and Jun are OK, but that's only because they have weapons that are actually powerful enough to offset their incredibly low aggressiveness and piss aim.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Thagomizer said:
Well, Jorge and Jun are OK, but that's only because they have weapons that are actually powerful enough to offset their incredibly low aggressiveness and piss aim.

e.g. Emile's long range shotgun on PoA. What a load of help he was.

thezerofire said:
"Watch me try to shotgun this Hunter from 100 feet and then run away!"

Honestly, that was so ridiculous that I was more amused than annoyed, but yeah, big oversight on the mission designers/AI programmers part.

Thagomizer said:
Honestly, that was so ridiculous that I was more amused than annoyed, but yeah, big oversight on the mission designers/AI programmers part.
I was pretty annoyed, especially on my solo legendary run

I was more annoyed when I learned you can just jump through the window on the other side of the courtyard

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
"Watch me try to shotgun this Hunter from 100 feet and then run away!"

Oh god don't remind me. I remember on Legendary being stuck in the foundry section for a good hour plus with the Elite squad. He'd sit there and try to shotgun them from across the giant ass room. Of course this did nothing to them so any time I tried to make a move to get one they'd all swarm me. For that bit there I actually had flashbacks at my many many Halo 2 Legendary attempts I've made through the years.

Ken said:
That's not a lot of items to scan.
Its a secondary feature exclusive to kinect how much did you expect?

11 weapons
7 vehicles
3 grunts
2 jackals
5 Elites
1 Hunter
3/4 Flood
2 sentinels
1 marine
Keyes
Johnson
Guilty Spark

38/39 Items. That's 6/7 hidden items, assuming you can scan dropships and you cant scan things like the fuel rod because they explode.

Nothing is tied to them either way its just a nice model viewer.

Thagomizer said:
I think the worst part of the other Spartans tagging along with you was that at least in Halo 2/3/ODST I could kill the pestering marine/ODST AI trying to drive me around when I wanted to use a Warthog as a stationary turret, but in Reach I can't escape Kat's wrath as she drives us off cliffs and blindly into danger.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Wow, im suprised to hear that coming from you, that the kind of attitude I only expect to hear from the Halo Veterans among us. Your effectively telling people to get off of GAF if they want to stay dark when you could just easily link to an external image gallery. Why essentially force people off gaf? I dont get it. I really dont see why your impacted by not uploading big pictures.

TBH im not going dark, but im just so shocked at the logic behind your post. Especially since there are other reasons big ass pictures are detrimental to the thread.
I'm late to this conversation (darn meetings), but historically officially released media hasn't been something we usually consider spoilers, and post/talk/fap to them. If you really do want to stay spoiler free, a thread discussing the latest news and media probably isn't the best place to be. There's definately a line, and I think for most of us Bungie/MS has crossed it a few times by posting stuff we'd rather not have seen, but I'm sympathetic to people who post official media without thinking of spoiling people.

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wonder where it is in the galaxy.

/ponders

It takes place inside Cortana's left butt cheek.

You guys see fancy skyboxes, I see potentially scary framerate problems. Is that baby locked at 30? Frankie? David?

Willeth

thezerofire said:
I was pretty annoyed, especially on my solo legendary run

I was more annoyed when I learned you can just jump through the window on the other side of the courtyard
We did a LASO run for the challenge where we were trying to convince a friend to jump through the window - he wasn't having any of it and we were all getting frustrated. Finally he made it through, and then my other friend jumped back out and meleed them both to death just to prove how hardcore he was.

Video here.

kylej said:

You guys see fancy skyboxes, I see potentially scary framerate problems. Is that baby locked at 30? Frankie? David?

I worry about all of the new maps, since all of the CA maps so far have framerate issues.

Karl2177

In the BTS, I'm assuming that what I'm hearing is the updated music. It sounds like Halo 1, but it does sound new. Also, I don't know whether this is a complement or not, but in the AotCR parts of the BTS I couldn't tell between Classic and Anniversary without looking at the HUD. I like it because it shows you guys really didn't mess with the feel of the environment, but it could be taken as you didn't change enough.

Also, I had 5 skulls that I didn't recognize immediately.

feel

kylej said:

If they intend to stay true to the great overall Reach experience (and it seems like it with all the praise for AAs in every CEA mp vid), framerate problems have to be there. Wouldn't want the people playing from the Reach disc to feel alienated.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The game looks god damn great. I honestly wasn't all that impressed by what we saw at E3, but it's crazy to see how far it's gone in such short period of time. Was watching the video and giggling, this is going to be my game of the year, even with Skyrim implanting itself onto my PC just a few days earlier.

Thermite

Lyphen said:
The game looks god damn great. I honestly wasn't all that impressed by what we saw at E3, but it's crazy to see how far it's gone in such short period of time. Was watching the video and giggling, this is going to be my game of the year, even with Skyrim implanting itself onto my PC just a few days earlier.

Yeah, I was hating on the E3 build when it was initially shown, but the game has really came into its own since then. I'm surprised at how good it looks now.

Playing Assault on the Control Room, with all the new updated goodies, will be more than worth the $40 for me..

Top Bottom