• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone

Gabotron ES said:
I won't watch it then.

And holy shit at High Noon's skybox, I think I just spotted a flying cow there.
You're making the right decision. I kinda wish I hadn't watched it. I'm pretty sure it shows footage of every single level except The Maw.

But holy shit it looks good. Can't wait to play some co-op via Live. Couch co-op in Halo CE is my favorite gaming experience ever. Did it for thousands of hours.

Striker

The Behind the Scenes video is great, good stuff.

Levels look amazing. Hope to hell the netcode is good for co-op. It'll be a blast.

Willeth

Wait a minute. By the time Anniversary comes out I'll be working at a game shop so if Sainsbury's don't have the codes I can just nab one. Switching my preorder when I get home.

daedalius said:
How can some of these people on Waypoint think that a super-soldier can't juke?

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/36184.aspx?PageIndex=1

I don't understand why anyone would want to KEEP the current acceleration parameters in Reach.

This guy responding is crazy:
Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.

We want to strafe!

<343
No we don't. Strafing, IMO of course, makes for absolutely terrible gameplay by allowing the very epitome of spastic actions to have some meaningful effect on what should be a considered and strategic affair. If I wanted mindless side stepping, I would have taken up line dancing. But as I'm playing a shooter, I want tactical advantage and superior gunplay, not dandy footwork (there is a very distinct difference), to decide combat.

daedalius

Tha Robbertster said:
This guy responding is crazy:

Dandy footwork = please don't move while I'm shooting you, I'll miss

Wish I could respond on that forum sometimes, too bad when I try to log in I just get errors on every microsoft page

blamite

Woah, High Noon is amazing looking. This is a big part of what Reach was missing for me, multiplayer maps with actual interesting settings. Tiny little human buildings are boring, give us giant mysterious alien artifacts with amazing skyboxes! Anniversary definitely succeds in that area.

That campaign looks awesome too. For everyone who was complaining about the giant wheel on the tower on Installation 04, good news, it's not there in Campaign! There were to many great looking things in that video for me to mention them all, but long story short, the game looks great, congratulations to all the developers involved.

PooBone said:
So when the Anniversary maps are released as Reach DLC, will Reach be updated w/ new achievements?
Neck Breaker (25G) - Fall to your death on Headlong.

Such a Tease (25G) - Spot the hidden Battle Rifle egg on High Noon.

Dedicated (50G) - Experience a host migration on Timberlands.

Jiggle the Handle (50G) - Knock an opponent into the water on Penance.

Revenge of Daedalus (50G) - Earn 10 Firebird medals in one matchmaking game on Solitary.

Kung Fu Grip (50G) - Find the hidden Spartan doll on Battle Canyon.

Babysitter's Club (100G) - Keep your AI ODST allies alive for an entire Set of Firefight Matchmaking on Installation 04.

trollface.jpg

blamite said:
Woah, High Noon is amazing looking. This is a big part of what Reach was missing for me, multiplayer maps with actual interesting settings. Tiny little human buildings are boring, give us giant mysterious alien artifacts with amazing skyboxes! Anniversary definitely succeds in that area.

That campaign looks awesome too. For everyone who was complaining about the giant wheel on the tower on Installation 04, good news, it's not there in Campaign! There were to many great looking things in that video for me to mention them all, but long story short, the game looks great, congratulations to all the developers involved.

Yeah, that's a real shame indeed! It's probably because the only forerunner stuff we saw was during the package which was very short. The only things that comes close to mysterious is Tempest with the forerunner city in the background.

FyreWulff said:
Streak's over on this weekly. Jesus. Time to look at my calendar.. let's stop with the grind weeklies for next week, please?

gQQyR.png

That's been four "grinders" in a row, please to be alternating with non-grinder weeklies

In my opinion, Weekly's should always be a grind, otherwise they are just glorified daily challenges.

The BTS was nice, campaign looks great, can't wait to play through it.

Hang em' High looks amazing.

GhaleonEB

Random questions.

Will 343 be able to use the custom challenge system to feed the daily and weeklies, effectively creating new challenges for them?

Will we be able to see custom challenges in-game, or just on Waypoint?

Can we swap weapons with the Marines on Installation 04? If so, can we give them a Target Locator? And if so, do they have unlimited ammo, and good aim?

High Noon looks fantastic. Great, unique aesthetic.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
In my opinion, Weekly's should always be a grind, otherwise they are just glorified daily challenges.

Thisssssssssssssss

Also, what would you think of a revamp of the challenge system in Halo 4?

So say the weekly in Halo 4 is kill 700 enemies in multiplayer matchmaking. 40,000 cR.

And say you only could finish 500 kills. You'd receive some portion of the 40,000 cR at the end of the week. But lets say part-completion would only pay up to 30k cR. If you actually complete it you're given the other 10k.

This way, people who don't have the time to grind these out will be able to get SOME extra reward.

GhaleonEB said:
Can we swap weapons with the Marines on Installation 04? If so, can we give them a Target Locator? And if so, do they have unlimited ammo, and good aim?
Mother of god.

There is no way I'd trust Halo Friendly AI with that much fire power.

Homeboyd

Steelyuhas said:

I disagree to some degree. Difficulty of the challenge should weigh heavily as well. You have to remember, some people may not have access to playing Reach every day (or even more than couple days in a week). You miss out on a couple days and a lot of these grind challenges aren't possible for those players (well, aren't reasonable anyways).

Challenges like the LASO campaign challenges are a good example of a weekly in that they can be achieved in one day but are very difficult (especially to a casual player). Someone who is busy with work or school 4 days out of the week can still jump in and knock it out on one of their days off. Or they can try again on a different day if unsuccessful. These grinding challenges almost require daily effort to achieve. Some players just don't have that time available.

I realize the irony of having a weekly challenge being achievable in one day, but you have to allow for failed attempts being attempted on another day.

blamite said:

When I played with friends the multiplayer, we were always discussing the purpose of the map. Now I can have these talk again. I really hope the maps have some fiction connection. :)

The campaign definitely looks amazing. But I dislike that 343i showed too much in this BtS. One of the few things I was really excited about, is to see my favorite level/mission on my TV the first time. But now 343i showed nearly every mission. But god dammit. Halo looks amazing. So freaking amazing. Give the game to me now! It's gold. Please give it to me. I'm yawing after it.

GhaleonEB said:

I can answer this question. I was able to swap weapons with the ODSTs in HaloFest build. (I did it a lot to get the DMR, when I'd picked the wrong loadout).

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Random questions.

Will 343 be able to use the custom challenge system to feed the daily and weeklies, effectively creating new challenges for them?

Will we be able to see custom challenges in-game, or just on Waypoint?

I'm trying to remember if I gave the AI a Target Locator. I feel like I did and they just used it on regular enemies.

There's an easy way to test this, though. Doesn't the Pelican drop a Marine on Sword Base? Give it to him and see how he uses it.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:

Well, in my opinion, Weeklies should take no more than 4 days to complete. They're just dailies that take more than 24 hours to finish. More time investment but not impossible for people with jobs to complete.

Plus the fact that for the past 4 weeks, you've had to have Gold to get the Weekly achievement.

I know you cant give marines Swords for example, so maybe its the same scenario with the target locator? If you can give marines the target locator and shove them into the passenger of a warthog (or tank!) it would be crazy.

Tawpgun

Was there any reason why the target locator isn't in pvp? Could have at least been a forge item.

Also for Halo 4, options in customs to enable indestructible hogs and chain reaction grenades.

Halo 1 Hog Launching in customs aww yeah.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Was there any reason why the target locator isn't in pvp? Could have at least been a forge item.

Also for Halo 4, options in customs to enable indestructible hogs and chain reaction grenades.

Halo 1 Hog Launching in customs aww yeah.
It was apparently added at the last minute to the game (thus its paltry integration into ONI). They probably didn't have time to add it to MP.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:

A weapon that's highly expensive on performance when used and only works on maps with open skies.

Also it came in late.

edit: Ghaleon'd

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
Someone said Timberland has the full Forge World pallete plus some trees, has this been confirmed?
The tree was mentioned in a bulletin but the only mention of the FW objects was on here.. That I can find anyways.

High Noon looks really awesome. I definitely agree with that added lift too. I'm wondering whether I'll like the classic or new version on this one better

Do any UK gaffers know how pricing works with games like Halo CEA? Since its already a cheaper title than most would it drop in price faster? Games like Portal 2 are still 22 quid and so is it fair to say Halo CEA at 23 quid is the best price its going to be for about 6 months? Ideally I would buy it for around 15 but is that just unrealistic? I wouldnt go down the second hand route so I suppose in the near future 23 quid is the cheapest its going to be?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HIGH NOON – High Noon returns players to the familiar canyons and catwalks of Hang ‘Em High, the “Halo: Combat Evolved” classic multiplayer map, now reimagined for “Halo: Anniversary” with unprecedented detail. The vast generator complexes, which power this enormous slipspace portal, allow it to connect with an unknown number of locations across the galaxy. High Noon is a densely-packed arena of platforms, corridors and cover, best suited for team-based combat in both Slayer and Objective gametypes (4 - 12 players).

Yummy. Love the small details.

Striker

Definitely liked Max's Tombstone over Hang 'em High. I kind of wish they had gone that route instead of the older formula. The jump to the Needler walkway near the Shotgun spawn in blue was one new change, and was very helpful. The blast through the wall in red base was another cool addition they did - made attacking the base more friendly, and made for more escape routes. Overall it just had things work out so much better.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Thisssssssssssssss

Also, what would you think of a revamp of the challenge system in Halo 4?

So say the weekly in Halo 4 is kill 700 enemies in multiplayer matchmaking. 40,000 cR.

And say you only could finish 500 kills. You'd receive some portion of the 40,000 cR at the end of the week. But lets say part-completion would only pay up to 30k cR. If you actually complete it you're given the other 10k.

This way, people who don't have the time to grind these out will be able to get SOME extra reward.

That's a pretty good idea I think. There could be "milestones" of weeklies say maybe at 25, 50, and 75 percent completion, you get a payout. If you get 100 percent of the weekly, the 100 percent completion is a significant bonus for completing the entire weekly.

FyreWulff said:
Well, in my opinion, Weeklies should take no more than 4 days to complete. They're just dailies that take more than 24 hours to finish. More time investment but not impossible for people with jobs to complete.

Plus the fact that for the past 4 weeks, you've had to have Gold to get the Weekly achievement.

So you just think the weekly requirements are often too high, which is understandable. I'm usually in that boat. I rarely have the time, nor the desire to play that much at this point to complete weeklies at this point, but I agree with these kind of weeklies in principle.

What do you think of the weekly "milestone" idea? (Posted above)

Striker said:
Definitely liked Max's Tombstone over Hang 'em High. I kind of wish they had gone that route instead of the older formula. The jump to the Needler walkway near the Shotgun spawn in blue was one new change, and was very helpful. The blast through the wall in red base was another cool addition they did - made attacking the base more friendly, and made for more escape routes. Overall it just had things work out so much better.

I'm interested to see in detail/play the High Noon variant. Hang em' High is a classic and awesome map, but it is not without it's design flaws, I'm curious to see what CA did to try to remedy that.

FyreWulff

The milestone idea sounds pretty cool.

I don't mind supergrind weeklies showing up once in a while, but back to back to back etc kinda removes their specialness and doesn't let you rebound for the next one.

edit: based off math for the last 4 weeklies:

300 kills to complete
500 kills to complete
400 kills to complete
700 kills to complete

Perhaps that's why they are challenges. Just a thought. Yes and weeklies should take the week to get through. I finished the last weekly last night at 1am, that was perfect.

GhaleonEB said:
It was apparently added at the last minute to the game (thus its paltry integration into ONI). They probably didn't have time to add it to MP.

Lets be honest, would the target locater worked well with matchmaking at all :p?

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
Lets be honest, would the target locater worked well with matchmaking at all :p?
Nope, and I've never missed it; it's not quite the definition of a balanced weapon. But it would be fun to mess with. :D

Top Bottom