• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

reggie said:
Microsoft needs to stop fucking around and start releasing maps like they did back for Halo 2. First few months are paid, then they're free with DLC being mandatory.

It's the only proper way to handle paid multiplayer content.

Isn't it funny how even though I paid for the Halo 2 maps I felt like I got my moneys worth, even after they had become free, I was happy to support that model. Now with Reach I stupidly got sucked in to buying maps which I've probably played less than 10 times.
THIS!

wwm0nkey

reggie said:
Microsoft needs to stop fucking around and start releasing maps like they did back for Halo 2. First few months are paid, then they're free with DLC being mandatory.

Isn't it funny how even though I paid for the Halo 2 maps I felt like I got my moneys worth, even after they had become free, I was happy to support that model. Now with Reach I stupidly got sucked in to buying maps which I've probably played less than 10 times.
That or adopt Call of Duty's method of matching DLC players together.

EDIT: Random but 343i should totally commission this guy to make some Halo videos lol

ElRenoRaven

Barrow Roll said:

HOLYSHIT at the Iron Man and Warmachine ones. I'd kill for those.

Zeouterlimits said:
Posable lips?

Face is uncanny in a good way, fully suited looks badass.

Holyshit at that one too. Another I'd kill for. And dear god I could only imagine how glorious a Master Chief one would be. I think I'd have to sell stuff but I damn well would to pick one up.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm considering a forearm tattoo, and I might make it Halo related. (It'd have to be a subtle Halo reference.)

Any suggestions?

Forearm tattoo? Only one acceptable option:

b96tts.jpg

Except with Cortana, I suppose.

If anyone doesn't know what this is from... I am disappoint.

Dax01 said:
Does Sgt. Johnson have a mustache? I can't tell. It wasn't that pronounced in the earlier games.

I also wonder if 343 is going to have Sgt. Johnson running around with you on missions when he's suppose to be with Keyes.
They'd better - getting him on AotCR with a sniper in hand and keeping him alive for the whole tank run is glorious.

feel

reggie said:

Frank already expressed that they'd love nothing more than to do just that, but it's simply not possible with this day and age's dev costs. They've also said recently that they're working hard on improving the implementation and making the dlc buyers feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Letters said:
Frank already expressed that they'd love nothing more than to do just that, but it's simply not possible with this day and age's dev costs. They've also said recently that they're working hard on improving the implementation and making the dlc buyers feel like they're getting their money's worth.

That is PR speak saying that nowadays DLC is factored into a games projected sales figures, which wasn't the case when Halo 2 came out. At that time the DLC was viewed as extra, in terms of content and profits

Homeboyd

Letters said:
I don't think there are enough people buying the maps (I have no factual data to back this up, just a guess based on what I've seen)... which sucks because I would happily buy new DLC every 2 months if they offered it. I know Im probably in the minority... I just love new maps (or any new content for that matter).

I'm even hoping they get CA to work on even more DLC after CEA drops. New (non-remake) maps.

FyreWulff

They'll change their mind once someone actually attempts to compete with the model. Right now their main competition is Call of Duty, which is happy selling 15$ map packs and never making them free.

If Sony had a big game that started competing on "pay now, free later", you'd see Mattrick and co change their tune. Nintendo too, but Nintendo believes if any game they ever make has DLC, it should be free. I don't think MS would view new Mario Kart tracks as competition to Halo.

reggie said:

Play Premium Battle. Not only do you get to play the maps you paid for, but you also now get a mix of Slayer and Objective. That should be your playlist of choice if you have complaints abut not playing the maps.

All those maps for 800 is a really good bargain. Hopefully bsangel/343 really sell it to the community this week.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
They'll change their mind once someone actually attempts to compete with the model. Right now their main competition is Call of Duty, which is happy selling 15$ map packs and never making them free.

If Sony had a big game that started competing on "pay now, free later", you'd see Mattrick and co change their tune. Nintendo too, but Nintendo believes if any game they ever make has DLC, it should be free.
I don't think that would be the case. It's the same mentality that argues that when Xbox Live had free competition on the console space, it would have to go free. In reality MS raised the price, and are still doing well for it. How CoD maps are handled wouldn't impact how Halo maps are handled.

Not that I think we'll ever see competition on that front. The current model is working and is lucrative. That's why MS moved to it from the pay now, free later model, and why no major release has used that DLC model.

Hydranockz said:
Play Premium Battle. Not only do you get to play the maps you paid for, but you also now get a mix of Slayer and Objective. That should be your playlist of choice if you have complaints abut not playing the maps.

All those maps for 800 is a really good bargain. Hopefully bsangel/343 really sell it to the community this week.

Just don't expect a decent match, premium battle has in my view the worst and most frequent quitters in reach.

FyreWulff

Well, Sony's "free" service really wasn't up to Live's standards. Nobody's really competing with Live in the console space in terms of featureset and reliability.

And we all know how well Nintendo letting third parties roll their own communication stack worked out for the Wii. Some of them were Live-esque (activision, ea games), and some just imported the Gamespy middleware, made a quick menu, and called it a day.

feel

FyreWulff said:

If Sony had a big game that started competing on "pay now, free later", you'd see Mattrick and co change their tune. Nintendo too, but Nintendo believes if any game they ever make has DLC, it should be free. I don't think MS would view new Mario Kart tracks as competition to Halo.
MS just shrugged their shoulders when PS3 came out with the whole "free online gameplay" thing. Unless Sony introduces something that is seen in better light by the gamers AND gives them at least the same profit margins, they won't be budging.

Hydranockz said:

And then you play Team Slayer on Breakpoint with no DMR starts, and only 2 DMRs + 2 Needlers on the map and shitty respawns...

Hydranockz said:

Can you play in Premium Battle if you only have Noble?

The biggest problem I see is that some poor soul could buy just the Noble pack today and not have any hope of getting it in matchmaking.

-------
Team Fortress 2 has spoiled me. It's bursting with free maps.

I just hope nobody sees The Orange Box for 360 in a Gamestop and assumes they're getting any content beyond what was on the disc.

I don't know what black magic Valve used to get the Portal 2 DLC released for free, but it's a small ray of hope for the future.

I like how Bungie has sidestepped the DLC issue somewhat with Forge maps. Hopefully the next Bungie or 343 game can take that even further with a more robust level editor that still flies under Microsoft's monetizable content radar. Outsource the mapmaking to a community that would gladly do it for free.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Well, Sony's "free" service really wasn't up to Live's standards. Nobody's really competing with Live in the console space in terms of featureset and reliability.

And we all know how well Nintendo letting third parties roll their own communication stack worked out for the Wii. Some of them were Live-esque (activision, ea games), and some just imported the Gamespy middleware, made a quick menu, and called it a day.

Exactly. The sad thing is that with PS4 odds are you will see Sony putting a service out that is on par with live then. However sadly I see that being a pay service too. That's why I wish Nintendo would get off their asses and put together a real console again and get their shit together online wise too and offer something on par with live for free. I have no doubt that if they could do that You'd see some big changes.

Sadly it doesn't like like Nintendo is. This saddens me greatly.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Can you play in Premium Battle if you only have Noble?

The biggest problem I see is that some poor soul could buy just the Noble pack today and not have any hope of getting it in matchmaking.

-------
Team Fortress 2 has spoiled me. It's bursting with free maps.

I just hope nobody sees The Orange Box for 360 in a Gamestop and assumes they're getting any content beyond what was on the disc.

I don't know what black magic Valve used to get the Portal 2 DLC released for free, but it's a small ray of hope for the future.

I like how Bungie has sidestepped the DLC issue somewhat with Forge maps. Hopefully the next Bungie or 343 game can take that even further with a more robust level editor that still flies under Microsoft's monetizable content radar. Outsource the mapmaking to a community that would gladly do it for free.

Far Cry 2's map editor was so good that I don't know a single person that actually bought it's paid DLC maps. I'm not even sure why Ubisoft even tried.

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. The sad thing is that with PS4 odds are you will see Sony putting a service out that is on par with live then. However sadly I see that being a pay service too. That's why I wish Nintendo would get off their asses and put together a real console again and get their shit together online wise too and offer something on par with live for free. I have no doubt that if they could do that You'd see some big changes.

Sadly it doesn't like like Nintendo is. This saddens me greatly.

Nintendo believes in online. They just don't feel like they should revolve their entire business around it. It'd probably help more if NOA had actual influence in NOJ's decisions re: interface and featureset though.

Homeboyd

FyreWulff said:
Far Cry 2's map editor was so good that I don't know a single person that actually bought it's paid DLC maps. I'm not even sure why Ubisoft even tried.
This has got to be something 343 is focusing on for Halo 4. As much as they listen to the community and are in tune with it's needs and wants... I would assume this would be up there on the list.

#neverassume

Homeboyd said:
This has got to be something 343 is focusing on for Halo 4. As much as they listen to the community and are in tune with it's needs and wants... I would assume this would be up there on the list.

#neverassume
I will be mad if we don't get a decent map editor with Halo 4, I'm still mad High Noon is not a new Forge World map, it looked awesome.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
MS just shrugged their shoulders when PS3 came out with the whole "free online gameplay" thing. Unless Sony introduces something that is seen in better light by the gamers AND gives them at least the same profit margins, they won't be budging.
I think that's the key. It's a lucrative model. MS will need both competition, and that competition chomping into their business. I don't see how maps in one very different series using one DLC model will force another very different series into using it, unless their sales are on the decline and MS thinks shifting will help.

It's not going to happen.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

Nintendo believes in online. They just don't feel like they should revolve their entire business around it. It'd probably help more if NOA had actual influence in NOJ's decisions re: interface and featureset though.

Oh I agree. It seems that the Japanese companies just really are being stubborn and not wanting to get with the times. I have no doubt that NOA could do a very nice job if Japan would let them take the lead for once. Sadly they won't. That has to be frustrating NOA too knowing that they can help and NOJ won't let them.

Imagine a console on par with what the 720 or PS4 will be with a regular controller with no gimmicks. It would have a great online structure. Now imagine this. You'd have Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc etc alongside Call of Duty, Assasins Creed, Bioshock, Batman, Madden, Battlefield, etc, etc. Tell me you wouldn't love that. You'd have one of the greatest consoles ever.

Homeboyd said:

#neverassume
It's time to ditch the child/building block mentality with Forge, and give the community the ability to produce some better-than-decent results with Halo's next map editor. Please.

Homeboyd

squidhands said:
It's time to ditch the child/building block mentality with Forge, and give the community the ability to produce some better-than-decent results with Halo's next map editor. Please.
Word.

feel

Community created stuff needs its own playlist. I don't like community made multiplayer maps for multiple reasons and I shouldn't have to be suffering through them for the 3rd game in a row. I want to play professionally made maps, with unique objects and look, with misterious location, properly lit, and a limited set that everyone plays that I can get familiar with and get past the confusion phase.

v What else is there?? Fringe stuff?? And I really enjoy Objective when the conditions are right, but what I really want is to kill people who are looking to kill me too. Objective is trash when not in a full party, and with halo3/reach -> even with a full party.

Letters said:
Community created stuff needs its own playlist. I don't like community made multiplayer maps for multiple reasons and I shouldn't have to be suffering through them for the 3rd game in a row. I want to play professionally made maps, with unique objects and look, with misterious location, properly lit, and a limited ser that everyone plays that I can get familiar with and get past the confusion phase.

Play anything but TS and BTB?

squidhands said:
Megalo would be a good start.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
On the subject of DLC models, I wonder if Halo 4 will go the season pass route. That seems to be the emerging new DLC model.

Does COD have a season pass too? That's Uncharted and Gears. It's almost certain at this point.

I don't think it's a bad deal for the consumer. Front up the money early, get the content cheaper plus a few extras.

If it means more players with a bigger collection of DLC it should out work better for everyone.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
On the subject of DLC models, I wonder if Halo 4 will go the season pass route. That seems to be the emerging new DLC model.
The game is definitely getting a season pass. Paying for it the second I can too, I don't like the feeling of not paying for Halo content I know people worked hard on, just because I get a code from gaf to test it a few days early.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Season passes are all fine and dandy until a dev ends up not making the content they promised too make and gets backlash for it. Don't know if this would ever happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

GhaleonEB

Slightly Live said:
Does COD have a season pass too? That's Uncharted and Gears. It's almost certain at this point.

I don't think it's a bad deal for the consumer. Front up the money early, get the content cheaper plus a few extras.

If it means more players with a bigger collection of DLC it should out work better for everyone.
Yup, I'm okay with this model, it has many advantages over the current, one at a time system. Not the least of which is building up a base of players who will own own all the DLC.

So long as we know what we're getting up front, and the publisher delivers it, I'd be happy to see this kind of bundled model work out. The benefit to the publisher is they get a lot of money up front. I'm curious how the discount balances that out, whether the increased sales made up for. But since it's spreading, that probably means it's been successful.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The Real Napsta said:
They actually gave us some temporary tattoos of this logo when we ordered our jerseys from there.

Also, sorry Kyle I didn't get a chance to meet Walshy and have him record that shit for you. Providence...if I go

PooBone

kylej said:
So how's the framerate on the Anniversary MP maps? Frankie? David?
I don't think the skybox will have any affect on performance, no matter how busy it is, it's still just the equivalent of a painting. Hell one of the last maps had a planet being glassed by Covenant ships in the background and it didn't hurt anything.

Season Pass

Pros:

- More people with all of the current DLC. Good for matchmaking.

- Save a little money, assuming you were going to buy everything anyways. (i.e. even the multiplayer skins, in Uncharted's case)

Cons:

- No guarantee of schedule. Is everyone that buys the Uncharted 3 season pass still going to be playing the multiplayer by the time the final map pack releases?

- No guarantee of quality. Are you sure the original developer is the one making all of the DLC content?

- Can you cancel and get a refund? What if the first map pack is good so you don't cancel but then the other three all have shit reviews? It's not like a $5 preorder at Gamestop where you can read the reviews before release day and save your other $55.

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
They actually gave us some temporary tattoos of this logo when we ordered our jerseys from there.

Also, sorry Kyle I didn't get a chance to meet Walshy and have him record that shit for you. Providence...if I go

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Providence. I'm going to have Walshy sign my forehead then get the signature inked by a tattoo artist.

FyreWulff

At PAX there was slowdown on the top floor of Prisoner. I mentioned it in the thread back then, but also threw in "in development" disclaimer.

Kuroyume

Banned
Letters said:
The game is definitely getting a season pass. Paying for it the second I can too, I don't like the feeling of not paying for Halo content I know people worked hard on, just because I get a code from gaf to test it a few days early.

lol

Letters said:
that's why we need to eventually start Community side over as Halogaf |OT| and take the number into infinity instead of resetting it every couple of years :p
There is a Zelda OT I don't understand why we wouldn't do the same. We talk about a lot more than newest game.

Ramirez

PooBone said:
I don't think the skybox will have any affect on performance, no matter how busy it is, it's still just the equivalent of a painting. Hell one of the last maps had a planet being glassed by Covenant ships in the background and it didn't hurt anything.

Not sure if serious. Condemned has a terrible framerate, particularly the low G area.

ncsuDuncan said:
Season Pass

Pros:

- More people with all of the current DLC. Good for matchmaking.

- Save a little money, assuming you were going to buy everything anyways. (i.e. even the multiplayer skins, in Uncharted's case)

Cons:

- No guarantee of schedule. Is everyone that buys the Uncharted 3 season pass still going to be playing the multiplayer by the time the final map pack releases?

- No guarantee of quality. Are you sure the original developer is the one making all of the DLC content?

- Can you cancel and get a refund? What if the first map pack is good so you don't cancel but then the other three all have shit reviews? It's not like a $5 preorder at Gamestop where you can read the reviews before release day and save your other $55.
I think this point is safe with games like Halo, Call Of Duty or Gears Of War 3. There are always in Top10 for years. Call of Duty has the Elite Membership, so my guess is that we will see something like that. I will call it Halo Waypoint: Premium. Pay $50-70 for a year and you will get:
10 Renders minute every month
(Time-) exclusive HaloWaypoint Videos/stuff
The DLC thing like the other Season passes right now.
etc.

Top Bottom