• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Letters said:
They've been trolling hard every time a CEA map is shown. I hope we'll get to ser some proper Classic multiplayer sometime before launch. Classic gameplay seems like a huge afterthought at this point instead of the focus of the showcase of CEA multiplayer it should be.
Rockets on Beaver Creek? not classic

Rockets on Prisoner? CLASSIC

Havok

Dax01 said:
No "season passes" for Halo please.
Why not? You, as the hardcore consumer, would save money in the end (face it: you're gonna buy all the Halo DLC), and it's a good guarantee of support from the developers. Many of the passes detail exactly what the plans are for the content they include, so you won't be left in the dark as long as we have with respect to DLC releases. No more six-month-long gaps where we wonder if there's going to be another Reach pack - if the pass says four content packs are planned, you'll get that. If you're a huge fan of a game, season passes are pretty great. Also, it's totally optional.

Additionally, casual people are more likely to buy a season pass and actually have the DLC as they'll buy it when they're still in the honeymoon period with the game instead of maybe buying Noble and then not caring about Defiant by the time it comes out. I seriously considered it with Gears, and I'm hardly a hardcore Gears player.

Kujo

Halo 4 better have at least 12 non-campaign, non-forge maps on disc, and at least 4 BTB. Also throw in Headlong again.

heckfu

Banned
Dax01 said:
No "season passes" for Halo please.

yeah, i've got to formally disagree. i know i'll buy all the DLC because i'm a type-cast halo fan. just give me things at a cheaper price...i have thousands of dollars of student debt and i can use any break i can.

Louis Wu said:
Wow, that was horrific.

4 minutes of infinite-ammo no-reload rockets with 12 players on a relatively small map... and the person we're watching gets 6 kills?

That should never have been put online. :(
How could you not dive in? That was a pile of Grunt plushies! HOW?!

Mojo said:
Halo 4 better have at least 12 non-campaign, non-forge maps on disc, and at least 4 BTB. Also throw in Headlong again.
I'm going to have more fun on 8 good TO/TS maps and 4 good BTB maps than 16 non-campaign, non-forge maps.

Kujo

Hypertrooper said:
I'm going to have more fun on 8 good TO/TS maps and 4 good BTB maps than 16 non-campaign, non-forge maps.
But 8 + 4 is 12 :p Are you saying you don't care if H4 launches with maps shared directly with campaign or maps made in forge?

wwm0nkey said:
Agreed, I also like how they are looking into it for Reach already. Wonder how that is going so far though.

Also Halo 4 better have a Matchmaking Algorithm like Call of Duty when it comes to DLC.

having never owned a piece of CoD DLC, how does the dlc algorithm work? is it just like what bungie claimed, ie, "it should match dlc owners together before anything else" (or did bungie ever even claim that?)

Mojo said:
But 8 + 4 is 12 :p Are you saying you don't care if H4 launches with maps shared directly with campaign or maps made in forge?
It would be sad, but if they are good. Then it's okay. It's not great, because the maps will look the same or will give us no new fictional places. But the first objective for maps is: GOOD map layout with good weapon placement etc. and then the setting. :p

Steelyuhas said:
Powerhouse is very good, Zealot is decent, Countdown would be good but is held back by terrible power weapon choices, Unanchored is not terrible although will never show in MM. That's about it (for 4v4).
Reflection? I think it will play really well with classic settings.

Letters said:
They've been trolling hard every time a CEA map is shown. I hope we'll get to see some proper Classic multiplayer sometime before launch. Classic gameplay seems like a huge afterthought at this point instead of the focus of the showcase of CEA multiplayer it should be.

Yeah I was hoping for a lot more footage on CEA maps. We got that Waypoint game (two games spliced together) of Damnation and I was hoping they were going to do that for all the maps as they announced/showed them off, but we haven't gotten one since that Damnation video. I would love to see Anniversary gametype(s) in action as well.

wwm0nkey said:
Agreed, I also like how they are looking into it for Reach already. Wonder how that is going so far though.

Also Halo 4 better have a Matchmaking Algorithm like Call of Duty when it comes to DLC.

Yeah I'm interested to see what 343 comes up with, if anything from looking into DLC regularity. Bungie claims there is a DLC filter in the matchmaking algorithms, similar to connection, skill, etc. I wonder is 343 has the power to alter the strength of those filters server side.

oddworld18 said:
having never owned a piece of CoD DLC, how does the dlc algorithm work? is it just like what bungie claimed, ie, "it should match dlc owners together before anything else" (or did bungie ever even claim that?)

In COD, you are always matched up with people that have the same DLC packs as you do. So when you buy maps, you get to play on them, and people are restricted out of playlists by not buying the maps.

Gabotron ES said:
Reflection? I think it will play really well with classic settings.

It's certainly better with the H2 setup than the Reach one, but it's still a flawed map IMO because of how powerful the top walkway is, especially in the Reach version with the insanely high ceilings.

TheOddOne

Whats also nice about the COD DLC is that when your in a party, it checks if everybody has the DLC. If not then it says that and the the maps don't show up.

Kujo

Hypertrooper said:
It would be sad, but if they are good. Then it's okay. It's not great, because the maps will look the same or will give us no new fiction places. But the first purpose is: GOOD map layout with good weapon placement etc. and then the setting. :p
I don't think a forge map could ever be as good as a map made professionally in their level editor or whatnot. And I'd rather them not have to think about whether a mp map works well in campaign or visa versa. Ideally they can make good original maps while having good design and good settings

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
In COD, you are always matched up with people that have the same DLC packs as you do. So when you buy maps, you get to play on them, and people are restricted out of playlists by not buying the maps.

Reach does the same thing, with DLC required playlists.

Reach has 3 options:

No DLC required but it can show up (Halo 3 no DLC req'd mode)

No DLC required but it will search for other DLC owners first, but if if all the DLC owners are too far away or way out of your skill level, fall down to entire matching pool

DLC required, everyone you match with has to have the DLC to even be there.

Going full DLC required drops the population of a playlist, and can't be done to playlists required for on-disc achievements (Invasion)

I don't think what Halo 3 did at one point, where 90% of the MM lists required all DLC is the answer.

Havok said:
Why not? You, as the hardcore consumer, would save money in the end (face it: you're gonna buy all the Halo DLC), and it's a good guarantee of support from the developers. Many of the passes detail exactly what the plans are for the content they include, so you won't be left in the dark as long as we have with respect to DLC releases. No more six-month-long gaps where we wonder if there's going to be another Reach pack - if the pass says four content packs are planned, you'll get that. If you're a huge fan of a game, season passes are pretty great. Also, it's totally optional.

Additionally, casual people are more likely to buy a season pass and actually have the DLC as they'll buy it when they're still in the honeymoon period with the game instead of maybe buying Noble and then not caring about Defiant by the time it comes out. I seriously considered it with Gears, and I'm hardly a hardcore Gears player.
I guess my statement was a bit too rash. I just don't want to end up like the first Gears situations where the maps release and they're only available in custom games (as Ram said).

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
No, it doesn't. The CoD playlists don't segregate users like Halo does. You want to play DLC in CoD? turn on the filter and you're put into a match with DLC in any of the playlists of your choosing.

If you're not playing customs or staying in the DLC playlists, a small part of Reach's population, you aren't getting your money's worth.

FyreWulff said:

Reach has 3 options:

No DLC required but it can show up (Halo 3 mode)

No DLC required but it will search for other DLC owners first, but if if all the DLC owners are too far away or way out of your skill level, fall down to entire matching pool

DLC required, everyone you match with has to have the DLC to even be there.

Going full DLC required drops the population of a playlist, and can't be done to playlists required for certain achievements (Invasion)

It's not even close. COD has no DLC required playlists (except they do special ones for right when it comes out), but you are still guaranteed to be matched up against people that have the same DLC as you, without the playlist requiring DLC.

In Reach, you will not see DLC, except maybe once a great while. There is no consistency for DLC coming up, in COD you always get DLC.

MrBig said:
No, it doesn't. The CoD playlists don't segregate users like Halo does. You want to play DLC in CoD? turn on the filter and you're put into a match with DLC in any of the playlists of your choosing.

You don't even need to turn any filter on, its automatic.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:

That's entirely different search pools on the backend then, so it's like creating two copies of every playlist and sending you into one depending on the option you selected.

I don't think Halo has the player count to support two versions of every single playlist. Team Objective under that would be deader than dead.

edit: in fact, more than two permutations.

Noble Only
Defiant Only
Classic Only

Noble + Defiant
Noble + Classic

Defiant + Classic

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
That's entirely different search pools on the backend then, so it's like creating two copies of every playlist and sending you into one depending on the option you selected.

I don't think Halo has the player count to support two versions of every single playlist. Team Objective under that would be deader than dead.
This can be alleviated by condensing the playlists somewhat.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:

If you have the DLC it will send you to a server, already running, not a separate population, and just drop you in.

It's just an option on top.

FyreWulff said:

Possibly true, but some COD playlists have pretty low populations. It should at the very least, be an option to the player.

Also, another reason there shouldn't be 1,542 playlists in each Halo game.

COD has more permutations than Halo. Black Ops has three competitive MP map packs.

I think the poblem with Reach is that the majority of the players don't buy the DLC. And when there are about 500 players with DLC in a playlist with 4000 players, it becomes hard to match those people together when you also have to consider trueskill (lol) and every player's preferences.

That's why 343 has to make it really rewarding to buy the DLC. Make them dubble credits in their playlist, let the DLC give you extra stuff to unlock and specific challanges for the new maps. And design a good algorithem to match up DLC players with eachother. I think that would help to stimulate DLC sales and thus their apearence ub matchmaking

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
If you have the DLC it will send you to a server, already running, not a separate population, and just drop you in.

And it finds that server by.... magic?

Tha Robbertster said:
I think the poblem with Reach is that the majority of the players don't buy the DLC. And when there are about 500 players with DLC in a playlist with 4000 players, it becomes hard to match those people together when you also have to consider trueskill (lol) and every player's preferences.

That's why 343 has to make it really rewarding to buy the DLC. Make them dubble credits in their playlist, let the DLC give you extra stuff to unlock and specific challanges for the new maps. And design a good algorithem to match up DLC players with eachother. I think that would help to stimulate DLC sales and thus their apearence ub matchmaking

They could have also actually made a Halo: Reach: Mythic, and we'd be in a situation where the majority of matchmaking would eventually adopt playing via a Reach mythic.

Instead, we have two playerbases in Reach come Anniversary: everyone with the Reach vanilla disc that doesn't want to buy DLC, and everyone with the CE:A disc that doesn't want to buy DLC.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dax01 said:
I guess my statement was a bit too rash. I just don't want to end up like the first Gears situations where the maps release and they're only available in custom games (as Ram said).

Yeah that's not happening. I really don't know what possessed Epic to come up with such an asinine move like that, but I"m sure Microsoft and 343 won't do something similar.

FyreWulff said:
They could have also actually made a Halo: Reach: Mythic, and we'd be in a situation where the majority of matchmaking would eventually adopt playing via a Reach mythic.

Instead, we have two playerbases in Reach come Anniversary: everyone with the Reach vanilla disc that doesn't want to buy DLC, and everyone with the CE:A disc that doesn't want to buy DLC.

I doubt the majority would be the situation there, as I doubt it is with Halo 3. I don't see DLC maps ever come up in Halo 3 playlists where it isn't required, so I don't think that many people are using the Mythic disc.

FyreWulff said:

Yeah, that's what was great about the mytic disc. It's a shame 343 didn't do this with Anniversery. But atleast we'll get the playlist with all the awesome maps :D

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
usually in programming we use algorithms

Or you stick everyone with DLC into a search pool and everyone without DLC into another search pool and send that player into the search pool that matches their DLC content status. With algorithms.

Otherwise if you attempted to just list every server on the backend then filter down to the server rotated into a disc map then the whole 'check to see which map they're playing on' breaks down for finding DLC owners with the same content you are. Or if you have one content pack and not another, they rotate into the DLC you don't have after the match and you get kicked, which is not a fun end user experience.

Reach's solution to the matter is to require DLC on more playlists. Unearthed shows up very reliably in Firefight matchmaking, so I have a feeling a significant amount of people with Defiant are in the Firefight pools. Perhaps they should have sold Unearthed separately and made a third multiplayer map for the pack. I can tell you that I can't get some people to buy Defiant because it only comes with two maps they'll use.

wwm0nkey

My god, Photoshop just announced their new "enhance" feature which by some miracle unblurs and "enhances" images.

No off screen Halo leak is safe.

From what I can tell:

Gears of War 3 season pass - $30
- First four DLC packs.
- Single and multiplayer content.
- "over the course of the next year"
- Exclusive Liquid Metal Weapon Set. (skin)
- Supposedly $45 of content.
- Available for purchase starting on launch day. (Sept. 20th)

Forza 4 season pass - $30
- Six DLC packs. (60 cars)
- Released from November 2011 to April 2012.
- Available for purchase starting on launch day. (Oct. 11th)

Uncharted 3 season pass - $25 preorder (whatever that means)
- First four multiplayer map packs.
- First three multiplayer skin packs.
- Fortune Hunters’ Club dashboard theme.
- No mention of schedule from what I was reading.
- Available for purchase before launch day (starting today). Game launches November 1st.

Comments:

- I don't like throwing in single-player content and useless skins just to inflate the "value".
- Putting it up for purchase two weeks before the game has even launched is ridiculous.

- If Halo Reach had a $25 Season Pass for 4 multiplayer map packs (12 competitive multiplayer maps) I would have bought it on the condition that there wouldn't be an 8 month gap without any new maps. If that's not a feasible price I'd be okay with $30 for 12 competitive maps and 1 or 2 Firefight maps.

One imporant question about Season Passes:

- Do these offers expire?

I hope not. I hope the "Season Pass" is really just a discount bundle that can be purchased at any time, so someone that wants to wait until a few of the DLC packs have been released can catch up at the discounted price. It would help simplify playlists (you could make DLC requirements all or nothing) and even someone who buys one DLC pack at $10 would still save money by buying the bundle.

I have a friend that owns the Defiant Map Pack but not the Noble Map Pack. Good luck getting those maps in matchmaking.

FyreWulff said:
Or you stick everyone with DLC into a search pool and everyone without DLC into another search pool and send that player into the search pool that matches their DLC content status. With algorithms.

Otherwise if you attempted to just list every server on the backend then filter down to the server rotated into a disc map then the whole 'check to see which map they're playing on' breaks down for finding DLC owners with the same content you are. Or if you have one content pack and not another, they rotate into the DLC you don't have after the match and you get kicked, which is not a fun end user experience.

Reach's solution to the matter is to require DLC on more playlists. Unearthed shows up very reliably in Firefight matchmaking, so I have a feeling a significant amount of people with Defiant are in the Firefight pools. Perhaps they should have sold Unearthed separately and made a third multiplayer map for the pack. I can tell you that I can't get some people to buy Defiant because it only comes with two maps they'll use.
Or you can use algorithms intelligently and find people who have the same maps first, and if they can't be found, match them with anyone like always. Like CoD.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
I doubt the majority would be the situation there, as I doubt it is with Halo 3. I don't see DLC maps ever come up in Halo 3 playlists where it isn't required, so I don't think that many people are using the Mythic disc.

I don't have the Bungie Update on hand, looking for it now, but Shishka said that the majority was on Mythic. Here's an IGNboards post from stephen08 where he quoted the BWU:

http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_general_board/b8266/187078197/p1/

Thanks to Halo 3: Mythic, the majority of users in Matchmaking now have all the new content, including Heretic, Longshore and Citadel. As such, we’re comfortable with doing things a little differently, and will be removing all DLC restrictions from the following playlists as part of the December Matchmaking update

thezerofire said:
Or you can use algorithms intelligently and find people who have the same maps first, and if they can't be found, match them with anyone like always. Like CoD.

You're using algorithms to form virtual player pools. We're talking about the same end effect with marginally different means.

Letters said:
They've been trolling hard every time a CEA map is shown. I hope we'll get to see some proper Classic multiplayer sometime before launch. Classic gameplay seems like a huge afterthought at this point instead of the focus of the showcase of CEA multiplayer it should be.

Now that you mention it im worried. 343 hasnt really talked about the classic playlist at all have they? I know they are still doing it but if its so low on the priority list I doubt it will be done very well.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

See this is one reason I've never bought the argument about Anniversary splitting the playerbase if it were to have classic multiplayer included. That's already being done plenty with Reach itself.

As mentioned you have 4 different permutations as is. Then with Anniversary you're really opening a can of worms.

You'll have:

Vanilla
Vanilla + DLC 1
Vanilla + DLC 2
Vanilla + DLC 1 & 2
Vanilla + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 1 + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 2 + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 1,2, and Anniversary

So that's splitting your playerbase a lot worse then just Releasing Anniversary with it's multiplayer included ever would have.

At least then you'd have:

Vanilla Reach
Vanilla Reach + DLC 1
Vanilla Reach + DLC 2
Vanilla Reach + DLC 1&2
Halo Anniversary Multiplayer

You'd only split the player base 5 ways compared to the 8 ways you will be with the way it's being done now.

But we have what we have.

ncsuDuncan said:
- I don't like throwing in single-player content and useless skins just to inflate the "value".
How is Gears "throwing" in sp content? That's my favourite part of the announcement. Would love if 343 did this, instead of waiting 3 years for my next SP bite.

PsychoRaven said:
See this is one reason I've never bought the argument about Anniversary splitting the playerbase if it were to have classic multiplayer included. That's already being done plenty with Reach itself.

As mentioned you have 3 different permutations as is. Then with Anniversary you're really opening a can of worms.

You'll have:

Vanilla
Vanilla + DLC 1
Vanilla + DLC 2
Vanilla + DLC 1 & 2
Vanilla + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 1 + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 2 + Anniversary
Vanilla + DLC 1,2, and Anniversary

So that's splitting your playerbase a lot worse then just Releasing Anniversary with it's multiplayer included ever would have.

At least then you'd have:

Vanilla Reach
Vanilla Reach + DLC 1
Vanilla Reach + DLC 2
Vanilla Reach + DLC 1&2
Halo Anniversary Multiplayer

You'd only split the player base 5 ways compared to the 8 ways you will be with the way it's being done now.

But we have what we have.

I havent really been following that side of it, but I suppose that means that Halo Anniversary isnt going to be an ODST style package which includes all the maps? I think they should have shoved map pack codes in the package at least. Would have been a good way to bring everyone up to speed.

FyreWulff said:
You're using algorithms to form virtual player pools. We're talking about the same end effect with marginally different means.
It's sort of forming different pools. It doesn't only match you up with people with DLC, as far as I remember. Only if you can't find enough people. So kind of a hybrid.

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:

To be fair, Reach does this, just not ideally. Or maybe it does.

There's too many factors that are unknown to us to say. What we do know is that we only get the DLC maps very rarely unless we go into a DLC required list, but those kind of suck.

My thought is that the searching requirements are too loose. It puts time as the top requirement for searching. So it starts out looking for players similar in rank, location, and DLC. If it can't find them in X time it lowers the priority of those and we need up with what we have now.

The searching parameter things we have control of help, but they seem to be just soft rules. I wish they were hard and more enforced so if we chose to search by skill it'd actually do that. I'd be OK waiting longer if I could choose to search by DLC, skill, no guests, and location. If I could turn all those on and get perfect matches that'd be great. I'd guess that matchmaking would take forever though and I'd have to turn a few off. Perhaps Bungie already messed with this and found the most ideal settings for getting us matches even though we don't agree. Maybe there's just not enough people playing at a point in time to make this work perfectly. The thing CoD has is that all players can be matched together right? Skill doesn't matter?

Still, I'd hope that searching can be tightened up a bit. Anyway, my thoughts.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I havent really been following that side of it, but I suppose that means that Halo Anniversary isnt going to be an ODST style package which includes all the maps? I think they should have shoved map pack codes in the pachage at least. Would have been a good way to bring everyone up to speed.

Nope, just the remake maps are on the disc, and only those maps are included for export to Reach. Defiant and Noble continue to be available via download only for the forseeable future.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
I havent really been following that side of it, but I suppose that means that Halo Anniversary isnt going to be an ODST style package which includes all the maps? I think they should have shoved map pack codes in the pachage at least. Would have been a good way to bring everyone up to speed.

Nope. It only has those 6 maps and the firefight map. Now it was said that if you own Anniversary you will have a way to import those maps into Reach. IF you don't have Anniversary they will be released as a mappack or packs for Reach.

senador said:
To be fair, Reach does this, just not ideally. Or maybe it does.

There's too many factors that are unknown to us to say. What we do know is that we only get the DLC maps very rarely unless we go into a DLC required list, but those kind of suck.

My thought is that the searching requirements are too loose. It puts time as the top requirement for searching. So it starts out looking for players similar in rank, location, and DLC. If it can't find them in X time it lowers the priority of those and we need up with what we have now.

The searching parameter things we have control of help, but they seem to be just soft rules. I wish they were hard and more enforced so if we chose to search by skill it'd actually do that. I'd be OK waiting longer if I could choose to search by DLC, skill, no guests, and location. If I could turn all those on and get perfect matches that'd be great. I'd guess that matchmaking would take forever though and I'd have to turn a few off. Perhaps Bungie already messed with this and found the most ideal settings for getting us matches even though we don't agree. Maybe there's just not enough people playing at a point in time to make this work perfectly. The thing CoD has is that all players can be matched together right? Skill doesn't matter?

Still, I'd hope that searching can be tightened up a bit. Anyway, my thoughts.
Yeah, but it doesn't seem like Reach puts preference on DLC, but I'm pretty sure CoD does. It would be nice if there were options for you to pick which is most important to you.

thezerofire said:

Halo 4 feature wish:

Filters:
Good Connection
Skill Matching
Language Matching
DLC Matching

Filter is OFF by default to reduce matchmaking times for people that don't care. In this mode the system very passively tries to match you with players that have the same DLC (like how Reach works now).

Turning DLC Matching ON makes it search for similar DLC owners ONLY... for up to five minutes. After that a popup appears: "Matchmaking was unable to find enough DLC owners, DLC Matching has been temporarily disabled." You can then let it find non-DLC owners or you can hit B to back out and try to get DLC owners again for five minutes.

If there isn't any DLC applicable to a particular playlist (i.e. Grifball and MLG wouldn't benefit) then Matchmaking ignores the DLC filter for that playlist only.

lttp, but:
halo6.jpg

I don't know 100% if it's the Package or the end of Cortana, but the level of atmosphere/graphics fidelity/etc are pretty spot-on with Reach if you do the Banshee easter egg on the Package, go to the mountains, and fly back towards the map. Random, I know, but I've done that before and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

stephen08

I don't see a problem with season passes. If it was the only way to buy DLC then yeah it would be a problem.

EDIT: The DLC matchmaking is working to find other users with the DLC but like Fyrewullf said it abandons matches that won't be good. Do you want to play laggy matches on DLC maps? It's an issue of population combined with an abundance of lists.

Realistically you are just never going to match up users of comparable skill, with a good connection to one another, who have the same DLC options available, in a timely manner. You have to prioritize those traits when building a match. And to some extent, the game does let you weight those traits via a selectable option and the DLC playlist.

Fyrewulff said:
Nope, just the remake maps are on the disc, and only those maps are included for export to Reach. Defiant and Noble continue to be available via download only for the forseeable future.

PsychoRaven said:
Nope. It only has those 6 maps and the firefight map. Now it was said that if you own Anniversary you will have a way to import those maps into Reach. IF you don't have Anniversary they will be released as a mappack or packs for Reach.

Ah thanks. Its understandable. ODST was a 2 disk collection which probably cost more to manufacture which probably meant we had to pay more as consumers. 343 are probably just trying to avoid that by not including all of the maps.

That said im really worried that CEA multiplayer wise wont have a population to sustain the anniversary maps. I know they will be put up on the marketplace at a later date but considering how poor the current dlc intergration is what are the odds of the classic maps getting intergrated well? Low populations mean that the classic++ playlist may be doa.

Top Bottom