• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

squidhands said:
I hope you know how fortunate you are. For the erratic players like me who have no set schedule of when I can play anything, it's tough to be able to get with anything resembling a group. I got the Ate All the Chips achievement with a team and it was actually fun, but attempting to go in to any playlist solo (I know, I know, it's a terrible thing to do) is really no fun for me and it keeps me from MP more often than not.

Exactly. So many people play like complete asshats as it is, and the daily challenges and now these achievements could make it really unbearable. And not one of those achievements couldn't go toward Firefight?! Thanks for the love, 343. :-\

Oh yes I do, I actually don't and flat out refuse to play any MP games with randoms, I must have at least 1 person from my FL playing with me. But I understand that these achievement will be frustrating for players without a set timetable and the random assholes they will have to deal with.

They could have had at least some achievements for firefight, such as protect a generator or the marines on installation 04 etc.

The achievements do kinda suck. I'm hoping we can just download the custom gametypes again and knock 'em out of the park quickly. I hate having to do stupid shit in games, but I also hating having an incomplete game on my list. :lol

Or at least, an incomplete Halo game.

Ramirez said:
Why can't Halo get a "Seriously?" type achievement, get 100K kills in MP, now that's a good achievement.
That would be just as stupid. Hardly anybody would be able to get it unless you put an insane amount of time into the game. I played Halo 3 as much as possible and only ~50,000 kills.

Blue Ninja said:
The achievements do kinda suck. I'm hoping we can just download the custom gametypes again and knock 'em out of the park quickly. I hate having to do stupid shit in games, but I also hating having an incomplete game on my list. :lol

Or at least, an incomplete Halo game.
HaloWars says hello!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Most of the time I have to play with randoms, which is why I cannot get those stockpile achievements, as the randoms have no direction when starting the game. It sucks, but at least I manage to play very well most of the time, as soon as any of you guys join in you show me up. :p

My DMR skills are getting better though. I actually do really like the beta playlist, and yes I am an armor lock user. It still feels useful in the beta playlist.

Cheap gametypes and a second pad, it takes 5 minutes.

I hate achievements in multiplayer matchmaking it just gives me one more thing to think about, i don't want to care about it but i do, and annoyingly will change playstyle to 'achieve' them.

Dissapointed with the achievements, particularly the jetpack beatdown one. As a bumper jumper player, I'm scandalously excluded from using that AA. I used it a few weeks back for the first time ever on uncaged, a map which I've played hundreds of times. I was astonished at this new way of playing, it felt like I was playing a new game but alas I'm not going to change back to an inferior control scheme in order to accomodate one AA.

Speaking of which, will bumper jumper be available in Halo CEA? Complete joke if it's not, will detract from the experience for me somewhat. The game looks great btw.

Tunavi said:
The thing that bothers me is that headhunter is now a permanent gametype in reach because it's tied to an achievement

When was the last time you were forced to play it against your will? It's not great in FFA but it's the best gametype in multi-team simply by virtue of the fact it's DMR starts with two nades. I would play multi-team all day if it was just headhunter, instead of unwanted games of rockethog race and elite slayer. It's a great party gametype, it's not supposed to be taken seriously in a 4v4 game.

darthbob

Am I the only person who actually likes these MP achievements?

I suppose if I was an ultra completionist who needed to have 100% gamerscore, I'd be miffed, but to me, these achievements look like a bit of fun, and I can totally see myself getting some of these a few months down the line just randomly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
darthbob said:
Am I the only person who actually likes these MP achievements?

I suppose if I was an ultra completionist who needed to have 100% gamerscore, I'd be miffed, but to me, these achievements look like a bit of fun, and I can totally see myself getting some of these a few months down the line just randomly.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I'm not too worried about getting them, nor am I worried about it altering peoples' play style. I think some of them are dumb in the sense that they'll be insanely hard to get or they're in gametypes I don't like, but oh well.

I need to get my CEA pre order in, where does brit-gaf recommend in terms of price?? (also I can't find which retailers to the pre order bonus or not).

Louis Wu

I'm sad - I thought I could get all 4 challenges in a single game of score attack... but I fell down on the headshot job. :(

Not sure how, but I only had 71 headshots. (Seemed like I got most of the Grunts and Skirmishers, plus half the Brutes, a bunch of Jackals, and a bunch of Elites... but apparently not.)

Still - it was a 13k game - not bad for 14 mins. :)

ChenK said:
I need to get my CEA pre order in, where does brit-gaf recommend in terms of price?? (also I can't find which retailers to the pre order bonus or not).

Best seen so far is

ElzarTheBam said:
For those in the UK interested in this, Sainsbury's are doing halo anniversary for £23.99 here!

That's what I used

I just thinking about this, what if the mp achievements were tied to team action?

Such as instead of:

- Stick and kill the flag carrier with a Plasma Grenade in a matchmade game
Be in a game where a flag carrier gets stuck

License to Kill - Run over 5 people with a Ghost in a matchmade game
As a team manage five splatters with the ghost in a matchmade game

Something along those line, do you think it would reduce some elements of frustration people feel with MP achievements or not?

FyreWulff

Some of the Noble achievements are like that. No idea why Defiant and Classic suddenly became single-person actions.

Noble 1: Your team collected all of the flags in a matchmade Stockpile game.

Noble 1: Your team blew up the research facility in a matchmade Invasion game on Breakpoint.

Then Defiant has this one, which ONLY counts for the single teammate that returned the flag:

Defiant: Returned two flags in a matchmade CTF game.

Ken

Dax01 said:
That would be just as stupid. Hardly anybody would be able to get it unless you put an insane amount of time into the game. I played Halo 3 as much as possible and only ~50,000 kills.
I think it's a great achievement. Just because you wouldn't be able to get it doesn't make it stupid. I thought achievements were a way to show how dedicated you were to a game and your time investment, and not to show well you can punch someone in the air. I'd much rather have a player going for Seriously than going for jetpack hero.

I never got Seriously in Gears so when I see it on someone's list, I know they've invested a lot of time into the game. Can't say the same for most of these multiplayer achievements.

A lot of the CEA MP achievements could have been daily challenges, while achievements that required a lot more time investment (monthlies?) could have been the MP achievements.

PooBone

One of the things I do really like about Call of Duty is how the multiplayer achievements are basically challenges within the MP, sort of like the commendations in Reach, and all of the actual achievements are single player related.

That's how every single game should be.

Armor Lock is still annoying with the changes made in the Beta playlist. Remove it completely, please.

Also, I am saddened that there are no achievements for I04.
Ken said:
I think it's a great achievement. Just because you wouldn't be able to get it doesn't make it stupid.
I think it does. If I'm physically unable to get an achievement, or don't have the time to invest in such a thing, I feel gypped out of my purchase.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
I think it does. If I'm physically unable to get an achievement, or don't have the time to invest in such a thing, I feel gypped out of my purchase.
I'm with Dax on this one. I like achievements that are do-able for me, as a working adult with a family and other interests. Games I love I will try to 100%, but 100,000 kills is not only impossible for me, it's also annoying.

Ken

Dax01 said:
So games like King Kong and Avatar: Last Airbender would probably be the best purchases for you: physically possible and minimal time investment for 1000/1000.

100,000 kills in GoW 1 is nothing compared to the Seriously 3.0 achievement in GoW 3.

I'd be surprised if more than a dozen people earn it legitimately.

Striker

Ken said:
So games like King Kong and Avatar: Last Airbender would probably be the best purchases for you: physically possible and minimal time investment for 1000/1000.
I rarely agree with Dax, but even that's a silly comparison.You would have to play 8000+ games, be good enough to get an appropriate amount per game, and still that may not even be enough. How many players would get that? Is it beneficial to even have if so few people would get it?

10K would be more recommended. Either way, MP achievements suck dick unless they're team based.

kylej

Banned
Getting a splatter spree, and killing someone with their own sticky grenade, and punching someone while jetpacking are hardly disruptive achievements. You can get those in one BTB game.

That shit sounds like regular Halo, and it forces you to use the 'sandbox' which I thought is something Bungie nerds love.

I don't really care about those achievements but I'll probably get them all because I'be done it with every Bungie made Halo game so far. I don't think they will be very disruptive since most of the stuff already happens in machmaking. The only one I can see causing trouble is the sticking the flag carier but that too would be pretty minor.

All the other achievements are, like some people already said, stuff most people would do in matchmaking anyway.

kylej said:
Getting a splatter spree, and killing someone with their own sticky grenade, and punching someone while jetpacking are hardly disruptive achievements. You can get those in one BTB game.

That shit sounds like regular Halo, and it forces you to use the 'sandbox' which I thought is something Bungie nerds love.

If these were "Secret" achievements, then yes. Those events all naturally happen in regular Halo Reach.

But when players are actively trying to do those things you see bad behavior.

Ghosts that don't fire plasma rounds.
Players that sit still hoping to get stuck.
Jetpackers that stop shooting guns or throwing grenades.

kylej

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
If these were "Secret" achievements, then yes. Those events all naturally happen in regular Halo Reach.

But when players are actively trying to do those things you see bad behavior.

Ghosts that don't fire plasma rounds.
Players that sit still hoping to get stuck.
Jetpackers that stop shooting guns or throwing grenades.

Scrubs always use vehicles, spam sticky grenades, and float around in jetpacks. Crush them and send them back to Mario Kart.

Dax01 said:
Wait, how does not getting an achievement gyp you on your purchase? Buying map packs that can hardly be played except in a lone, crappy playlist is one thing (or in Gears' case, not being able to play maps in matchmaking at all), but I really don't understand how not getting a virtual pat on the back robs you of money spent on a game.

Tunavi

Banned
haha 100k kills, I played this game every day for a year and I still dont even have half that, its sad that some people actually have that

Karl2177

Tunavi said:
haha 100k kills, I played this game every day for a year and I still dont even have half that, its sad that some people actually have that
Halo 2 + Halo 3 + Reach = 34767 for me.
Admittedly my original H2 account was different from the current one, but I'd still never get it. 10k... I could get behind that achievement as long as it had an in-game progress meter.

Dax01 said:

I hate this mentality, this gross sense of entitlement. No gamer should have the right to a 1000/1000 gs just because they bought the game. How are you physically unable to get an achievement like 100,000 kills? It's a grind challenge that could be completed by the biggest bk on the face of the earth with enough time. You were unable to get a 50 in Halo 3 or maybe you didn't have the time to invest in ranked play - do you feel 'gypped out of your purchase' because you couldn't show off the number in the lobby to your friends?

The only way I could see a consumer being pissed off at not being able to get an achievement is if they factor in the 1000 gs added to their overall gamer score when deciding to purchase a game; if folks like this exist, they are pathetic.

The Seriously 3.0 achievement in Gears of War 3:
"Reach rank 100 and earn all 65 Onyx medals."

What does that mean?

- The rank 100 is easy, that's just from XP.

The Onyx medals are a little tougher:

- 100 pistol kills is a Bronze medal. Onyx takes 6,000 pistol kills. Repeat for every weapon.

That's right:

6,000 kills with the Pistol
6,000 kills with the Lancer
6,000 kills with the Hammerburst
6,000 kills with the Retro Lancer
6,000 kills with the Gnasher Shotgun
6,000 kills with the Sawed-Off Shotgun
6,000 kills with Heavy Weapons
6,000 kills with Explosives
6,000 kills with weapons picked up on the map
6,000 headshots
6,000 execution kills (including 500 nemesis executions)

- Participate in 30 "Gears of War 3 events"
- Be an MVP 500 times
- Play at least 4,000 matches
- WIN at least 3,000 matches
- Hold the enemy side to no wins in a multi-round match at least 2,500 times

- Play 3,000 rounds of Execution
- Play 3,000 rounds of Team Deathmatch
- Play 3,000 rounds of King of the Hill
- Play 3,000 rounds of Warzone

- Play 3000 rounds of Capture the Leader
- Win 500 rounds of Capture the Leader.
- Take 1,500 enemy leaders captive.
- Save your own leader 1,200 times.
- Never be taken captive in 1,500 matches.

- "Spot" 12,000 enemies. Kill 3,000 with fire. Kill 1,000 with grenades.
- Kill 1,000 enemies while holding a captive.
- Revive teammates 1,200 times.
- Get 5,000 assist kills.
- Do 25,000 perfect weapon reloads.
- Spend the most time in cover out of anyon in 600 matches.
- Get the first kill 3,000 times.
- Be the Last Man Standing 3,000 times.
- Fight as a female character in multiplayer 1,000 times.

- Beat all 50 waves of Horde on the Master difficulty.
- Beat a total of 2,000 waves of Horde.
- Start a base 500 times.
- Build 1,000 fences, turrets, etc.
- Earn $5,000,000 in Horde mode.
- Complete 100 mid-Horde challenges.

- Finish Beast mode at Killer difficulty
- Beat 600 waves of Beast mode.
- Destroy 3,000 fences, turrets, etc,
- Revive or heal teammates 600 times in Beast mode.
- Get 1,100 kills in Beast mode
- Earn $1,000,000 in Beast mode.
- Unlock the chance to control one of the best beasts 75 times.

- Play Campaign Arcade mode 500 times.
- Earn 7.5 million points in Campaign Arcade mode
- Get the highest score in the party 240 times.
- Hit the max multiplier 100 times.
- Finish 240 campaign chapters
- Beat the Campaign on Insane mode.
- Beat Campaign Arcade on Insane mode.
- Manipulate an object in the campaign 2,000 times.
- Stomp on 3,000 enemy heads in Campaign.

Seriously 3.0 - (100G)

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live said:
Custom file?
KuGsj.gif

All you have to do is save a gametype from Matchmaking in your recent games history and load that gametype up in Customs. No body hacked it, it was an error on 343/CA's part.

Don't even have to have it in recent games. I downloaded the Stockpile Pro Bungie gametype from someone's fileshare and did that and bam got it easily. So yea it just takes someone having the file from the playlist in a fileshare somewhere.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
The Seriously 3.0 achievement in Gears of War 3:
"Reach rank 100 and earn all 65 Onyx medals."

What does that mean?

- The rank 100 is easy, that's just from XP.

The Onyx medals are a little tougher:

- 100 pistol kills is a Bronze medal. Onyx takes 6,000 pistol kills. Repeat for every weapon.

That's right:

6,000 kills with the Pistol
6,000 kills with the Lancer
6,000 kills with the Hammerburst
6,000 kills with the Retro Lancer
6,000 kills with the Gnasher Shotgun
6,000 kills with the Sawed-Off Shotgun
6,000 kills with Heavy Weapons
6,000 kills with Explosives
6,000 kills with weapons picked up on the map
6,000 headshots
6,000 execution kills (including 500 nemesis executions)

- Participate in 30 "Gears of War 3 events"
- Be an MVP 500 times
- Play at least 4,000 matches
- WIN at least 3,000 matches
- Hold the enemy side to no wins in a multi-round match at least 2,500 times

- Play 3,000 rounds of Execution
- Play 3,000 rounds of Team Deathmatch
- Play 3,000 rounds of King of the Hill
- Play 3,000 rounds of Warzone

- Play 3000 rounds of Capture the Leader
- Win 500 rounds of Capture the Leader.
- Take 1,500 enemy leaders captive.
- Save your own leader 1,200 times.
- Never be taken captive in 1,500 matches.

- "Spot" 12,000 enemies. Kill 3,000 with fire. Kill 1,000 with grenades.
- Kill 1,000 enemies while holding a captive.
- Revive teammates 1,200 times.
- Get 5,000 assist kills.
- Do 25,000 perfect weapon reloads.
- Spend the most time in cover out of anyon in 600 matches.
- Get the first kill 3,000 times.
- Be the Last Man Standing 3,000 times.
- Fight as a female character in multiplayer 1,000 times.

- Beat all 50 waves of Horde on the Master difficulty.
- Beat a total of 2,000 waves of Horde.
- Start a base 500 times.
- Build 1,000 fences, turrets, etc.
- Earn $5,000,000 in Horde mode.
- Complete 100 mid-Horde challenges.

- Finish Beast mode at Killer difficulty
- Beat 600 waves of Beast mode.
- Destroy 3,000 fences, turrets, etc,
- Revive or heal teammates 600 times in Beast mode.
- Get 1,100 kills in Beast mode
- Earn $1,000,000 in Beast mode.
- Unlock the chance to control one of the best beasts 75 times.

- Play Campaign Arcade mode 500 times.
- Earn 7.5 million points in Campaign Arcade mode
- Get the highest score in the party 240 times.
- Hit the max multiplier 100 times.
- Finish 240 campaign chapters
- Beat the Campaign on Insane mode.
- Beat Campaign Arcade on Insane mode.
- Manipulate an object in the campaign 2,000 times.
- Stomp on 3,000 enemy heads in Campaign.

Seriously 3.0 - (100G)

The fuck.

Even if I could play for at LEAST 4 hours everyday.... it would still take YEARS.

Top Bottom