• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone said:
Buy the book?

PooBone said:
In order to achieve something like 100,000 kills, you would have to either have a gun to your head or let it consume your life. Achievements shouldn't require either, unless they are the following:

"Virgin - 0G - Earned 100,000 kills in Halo:Reach"

"No Friends - 0G - Neglect friends, family, and life to acquire the 'Virgin' Achievement"
You don't get his point, right? No one forces you to get the achievement. So it is your choose if you let it be "life consuming" or not.

tbh. the guy with the highest gamerscore has a girl-friend, a job and isn't fat... and he does have all the GoW1-2 achievements and is trying to get all GoW3 achievements I think.

HiredN00bs said:
"Achievements" are just the chosen name for the functional items in the meta-scoring system on Xbox LIVE. They could have called them "Accomplishments" or "Completed Actions" or "Challenges" or "Trophies". For right now, it's pretty much left up to the developer what role they should have. You can make ones for simply booting up the game, beating the game, accomplishing a hard task, a silly task, or an exclusive feat (like reaching the top of the leaderboard), or any number of other things.

Is it really necessary that they all conform to some standard? Their "worth" in terms of points is essentially arbitrary when you survey them. I like that developers can currently use them to their own purpose. That said, I dislike ones that interfere with the natural play of multiplayer, like those in the Anniversary Map Pack.
Nice to see you back.

O.T: ETA is over, today is a great day!

Ramirez said:
Well, that's like your opinion, man.
Exactly.

There definitely is a good reason to have multiplayer achievements in games. It gets people playing what the devs want them to play. Gears will have the really dedicated playing for some time. 343 clearly wants to promote Headhunter as well as headshot oriented playlists among other ones.

I think 343 could have tailored the achievements to still promote those playlists without the weird play styles... but they didn't... and I don't think achievements have ever changed :p We'll see something similar in the future for sure ;)

Thagomizer said:
I got it on my first try, although the boredom very nearly did bring me to tears.

I can just see Ghaleon raging impotently while reading this comment
Amen. Cameron's best work is and probably always will be Aliens.

Nutter

Finishing High School, then College, then perhaps something else.. Those are achievements in life.

They are all time consuming and are difficult enough that not everyone achieves those milestones.

Now when talking about a game, I am with Ram, they need to be hard that not everyone can get them unless people try and spend the time to get them.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
squidhands said:
Amen. Cameron's best work is and probably always will be Aliens.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day would like a word with you.
3AQmK.gif

darthbob

senador said:
So I'm going through the "Great Journey" Halo art book and the concept art for Assault on the Control Room in CEA looks just like we saw in the BTS clip this week. I can't wait to play it! I'd take a pic, but I don't know if I should or not.

The CEA art in this book looks so good. I'd love just a CEA concept art book. Get on that 343!

I think as long as it's not a scan, and just one particular section, it would be okay. But you might want to PM a Mod.

darthbob said:
I think as long as it's not a scan, and just one particular section, it would be okay. But you might want to PM a Mod.
It's a published book. You have to pay for it and isn't it free available. So it is illegal to take pic of it and upload it. A picture is a scan somehow. Even it isn't a full page. So long 343i or Microsoft don't release the art by themselves, it is, like I previous mentioned, illegal. That would be the rule in Germany. And I think they aren't different in the States.

Edit.: And I think the mods will say the same. They have to pay for the consequences if it is in the case illegal.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hypertrooper said:
It's a published book. You have to pay for it and isn't it free available. So it is illegal to take pic of it and upload it. A picture is a scan somehow. So long 343i or Microsoft don't release the art by themselves, it is, like I previous mentioned, illegal. That would be the rule in Germany. And I think they aren't different in the States.
I applaud you. Doesn't matter if you're legally right on the matter, most just post information for self satisfaction and praise.

Judderman said:
Terminator 2: Judgement Day would like a word with you.
You guys have seen The Abyss, right?

Nutter said:
Finishing High School, then College, then perhaps something else.. Those are achievements in life.

They are all time consuming and are difficult enough that not everyone achieves those milestones.

Now when talking about a game, I am with Ram, they need to be hard that not everyone can get them unless people try and spend the time to get them.
Today at work there was a Congratulations party for three employees that recently had babies.

I joked that it wasn't much of an accomplishment, billions of people have done the same thing and didn't get a party. Many of them accomplished it by accident.

The babies here at work didn't even eat any of the cake.

The Real Napsta said:
Or you could just get it over the course of 5 year or something.
Hurr u hve no lfe nerd!!!1!

I understand a digital version is asking for piracy, but there are so many pieces in different art books that I want to use as a wallpaper, I honestly find it frustrating.

Hypertrooper said:
It's a published book. You have to pay for it and isn't it free available. So it is illegal to take pic of it and upload it. A picture is a scan somehow. Even it isn't a full page. So long 343i or Microsoft don't release the art by themselves, it is, like I previous mentioned, illegal. That would be the rule in Germany. And I think they aren't different in the States.

Edit.: And I think the mods will say the same. They have to pay for the consequences if it is in the case illegal.

A single scan, especially if it's not in super duper quality at high resolution for the express purpose of provoking commentary will easily be covered by fair use.

Syracuse022 said:
Okay, but what about the kids who want every character/weapon skin and don't want to be impeded from that goal? Trophies, achievements, unlockables... it's all essentially the same. We're talking about reward schedules, and a game designer really can't please everybody. As an individual presented with a reward schedule that frustrates you in some way, make the intelligent choice and get back to doing the things you enjoy. If you enjoy jumping through hoops to hear the "bleep bloop" go for it. If not, just enjoy the damn game. I haven't hit 100 percent in a single Halo game (Bungie keeps putting in the silly two kills from the grave Achievement which is statistically so unlikely for me in either 3 or Reach that it's laughable).
Hm. Alright. You guys (Squid, Ken, and you) are right.

Though I still don't like MP achievements, and the idea of a Seriously 3.0 for Halo would be a bad idea (though get 10,000 kills is more reasonable).

darthbob

Hypertrooper said:

You make a fair arugment. Personally, I'm indifferent, as it feels like fair use, and I've already read through the book about a month ago at HaloFest.

Still, I bet it's a good picture. :D

Photolysis said:
A single scan, especially if it's not in super duper quality at high resolution for the express purpose of provoking commentary will easily be covered by fair use.
But you guys don't have to scan. I'm warning you.

As an apology I found this. And it is the art that senador was talking about.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Aliens is garbage compared to T2. The marines are intolerably annoying. YEAH, I SAID IT.

The more I play ZB the more I like it. Yes, it would be better without AAs. Yes, the Needler isn't as useful as in vanilla Reach or Halo 3, yes the pistol is overpowered in close quarters.

But overall? As an improvement over vanilla Reach? It's a lot better.

Blinding

The Real Napsta said:
When are the new MLG settings and maps going to be in matchmaking?

Killa KC said that v6 is going to be put in on November 1st. However, that might not matter if they're going to use no-bloom, since then v6 wouldn't be the current settings.

senador

Banned
Well since its on Halopedia and Slightly Dani's site...

I took a screen from the BTS video. I won't embed it for those that don't want to see so here's the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20946807/CEA-AotCR.png

Edit: Here's another: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20946807/CEA-AotCR-2.png

Here's the concept art on FUD: http://thegallery.forwarduntodawn.com/index.php/Halo-CEA/halo_anniversary_attack_on_the_control_room_concept

There are a few more pieces in the book which also has a banshee flying in it. Yeah the concept vs in game look different but I feel that they are pretty close. It looks better in motion too. I can't wait to run around in the new environments.

How did you get these Dani? Are they posted somewhere or did 343 send you some goodies?

Risen

Blinding said:
Killa KC said that v6 is going to be put in on November 1st. However, that might not matter if they're going to use no-bloom, since then v6 wouldn't be the current settings.

Played some MLG customs with ZB for the first time the other night... while a bit rusty from little play, it was a blast... can't wait to see it in the list with updated maps.

The Pit remake is outstanding... ugly and all grey... but outstanding.

Ramirez

PooBone said:
In order to achieve something like 100,000 kills, you would have to either have a gun to your head or let it consume your life. Achievements shouldn't require either, unless they are the following:

"Virgin - 0G - Earned 100,000 kills in Halo:Reach"

"No Friends - 0G - Neglect friends, family, and life to acquire the 'Virgin' Achievement"

You really just pulled the virgin card for being good at a videogame, well played.

senador said:
Well since its on Halopedia and Slightly Dani's site...

I took a screen from the BTS video. I won't embed it for those that don't want to see so here's the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20946807/CEA-AotCR.png

Here's the concept art on FUD: http://thegallery.forwarduntodawn.com/index.php/Halo-CEA/halo_anniversary_attack_on_the_control_room_concept

There are a few more pieces in the book which also has a banshee flying in it. Yeah the concept vs in game look different but I feel that they are pretty close. It looks better in motion too. I can't wait to run around in the new environments.

How did you get these Dani? Are they posted somewhere or did 343 send you some goodies?
Eddie Smith uploaded the pics on his portofolio. MrBig'd found it and posted it here, everyone downloaded it.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
You really just pulled the virgin card for being good at a videogame, well played.

You're talking to the kid who still thinks STFU is a funny acronym. There really needs to be a better GameFAQs filter for people who register here.

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:

This is not directed at PooBone but more what you said...

I totally hate when people do that. My IRL friends say shit like this anytime we lose. "Bullshit. I don't have time to play all day like these virgins" and they call the Field Marshall+ ranks "Virgin Rank X". Its annoying. Those guys are just better (in these cases), deal with it.

Hypertrooper said:
Eddie Smith uploaded the pics on his portofolio. MrBig'd found it and posted it here, everyone downloaded it.

Ah, I think I remember that. Cool thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hypertrooper said:
They will release a remastered Halo: CE soundtrack on CD and a green limited Vinyl.

Btw. Who is Frank? :p

Frank....enstein monster!

Also, an Urk sighting? It's been ages.

I want a full Halo series soundtrack pack though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Old? http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/halo-4-new-details-on-graphics-engine-surface

GameInformer: Is the Halo 4 engine based on existing Halo tech or is it all new?

Wolfkill: It’s different from Anniversary. We…I almost revealed the codename for a second…[laughs]. This is an engine based on some of the past Halo tech for sure. But it’s also something this team has been working on to sort of optimize it for what we’re doing. It’s a completely internal piece of technology, but it is based on a lot of the Halo foundational tech.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Under Reach's campaign concept art that Dani just posted:
http://thegallery.forwarduntodawn.com/var/resizes/Halo%3AReach/Campaign/m60_tram_cave.jpg[IMG]
Cut location?[/QUOTE]
That's the tram tunnel you go through in the cutscene before you enter the "Glacier" area of The Package.
Having visited that area outside of the cutscene, they sure did spend a lot of polygons remaking that in accordance with the art, since, as you show, it's not really visible in-game.

wwm0nkey said:
Wasnt a bad movie but the plot has been done before and the only intresting part of the movie was the planet rather than the characters.
The plot was familiar but it still was interesting, and the whole movie was beautiful

Top Bottom