• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

ElzarTheBam said:
I just thinking about this, what if the mp achievements were tied to team action?

Such as instead of:

- Stick and kill the flag carrier with a Plasma Grenade in a matchmade game
Be in a game where a flag carrier gets stuck

License to Kill - Run over 5 people with a Ghost in a matchmade game
As a team manage five splatters with the ghost in a matchmade game

Something along those line, do you think it would reduce some elements of frustration people feel with MP achievements or not?

I agree. That's how they should be and I do think that would reduce some of the griefing you will experience with these.

Ken said:
So games like King Kong and Avatar: Last Airbender would probably be the best purchases for you: physically possible and minimal time investment for 1000/1000.

Hey don't you shit on King Kong. I actually rented that game back when I had a game rental plan and it's actually pretty damn fun. Short as hell and not a beast graphically but fun. In fact I need to pick it up one of these days. I wouldn't mind having it in my collection to play again sometime.

PsychoRaven said:
Don't even have to have it in recent games. I downloaded the Stockpile Pro Bungie gametype from someone's fileshare and did that and bam got it easily. So yea it just takes someone having the file from the playlist in a fileshare somewhere.

wait wait, this works!? last time i tried it it wouldn't register, i thought only the defiant achievements were able to be done in customs...

YES!

ElRenoRaven

oddworld18 said:
wait wait, this works!? last time i tried it it wouldn't register, i thought only the defiant achievements were able to be done in customs...

YES!

Yup. Downloaded that Stockpile one from the gamertag linked in this thread and did the stockpile one split screen with my other controller logged in as a guest. I now have all of Reach's Achievements. It's weird cause I could care less on any other franchise but Halo games I have to have them all. I'd have all of Marathon on XBLA too if there was anyone playing and I bothered to play it more. lol I just play the PC versions when I want to play Marathon though. lol

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. Downloaded that Stockpile one from the gamertag linked in this thread and did the stockpile one split screen with my other controller logged in as a guest. I now have all of Reach's Achievements. It's weird cause I could care less on any other franchise but Halo games I have to have them all. I'd have all of Marathon on XBLA too if there was anyone playing and I bothered to play it more. lol I just play the PC versions when I want to play Marathon though. lol
I hope Halo 4 will have a kinect-required achievement. *obviouslytrolling* :^)

But somehow I'm feeling it, too. I want to get all the achievements in every Halo title. I don't know why. Even in Halo Wars, I'm going to get them all.

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
I hope Halo 4 will have a kinect-required achievement. *obviouslytrolling* :^)

But somehow I'm feeling it, too. I want to get all the achievements in every Halo title. I don't know why. Even in Halo Wars, I'm going to get them all.

Halo Wars I could care less about. First off I like it but I don't like several things they did with it.

First off people talk about Reach having canon issues. Well that game has some big one's that I can't overlook. At the same time it has some pricy DLC and I don't buy DLC except with free points or codes gifted and I'd rather spend that stuff on main Halo games. Then also it comes down to the fact that I suck at RTS games. I'm just not a super big fan of them. I like AOE and Halo Wars but I suck and probably couldn't beat them above normal if I tried.

That does remind me though. I need to play it again. It has a good story and the cutscenes are amazing. I just don't consider any of it cannon.

PsychoRaven said:
Halo Wars I could care less about. First off I like it but I don't like several things they did with it.

First off people talk about Reach having Cannon issues. Well that game has some big one's that I can't overlook. At the same time it has some pricy DLC and I don't buy DLC except with free points or codes gifted and I'd rather spend that stuff on main Halo games. Then also it comes down to the fact that I suck at RTS games. I'm just not a super big fan of them. I like AOE and Halo Wars but I suck and probably couldn't beat them above normal if I tried.

That does remind me though. I need to play it again. It has a good story and the cutscenes are amazing. I just don't consider any of it cannon.

Every time I start up Halo Wars, I watch monsters. Maybe an idea for Halo 4 is to ad a cutscene library to the game like Halo Wars did. I'd enjoy it.

Oh, and it's canon with one -n ;) I always chuckle when I read cannon as in the thing that shoots stuff that explodes.

PsychoRaven said:

First off people talk about Reach having canon issues. Well that game has some big one's that I can't overlook. At the same time it has some pricy DLC and I don't buy DLC except with free points or codes gifted and I'd rather spend that stuff on main Halo games. Then also it comes down to the fact that I suck at RTS games. I'm just not a super big fan of them. I like AOE and Halo Wars but I suck and probably couldn't beat them above normal if I tried.

Which big canon issue?

feel

Closest I have is 71k mp kills in Halo 3, which I really liked and played a lot for 3 years. 100k mp kills in Reach would be the first main Halo achievement I would miss out on.

Ramirez

reggie said:
Why does there even need to be multiplayer achievements?

As Zeouter stated, I'm betting their is some evidence showing that it prolongs a games life/community. CoD doesn't have to put them in because a billion people buy the game anyways.

Dax01 said:
That would be just as stupid. Hardly anybody would be able to get it unless you put an insane amount of time into the game. I played Halo 3 as much as possible and only ~50,000 kills.

It's not stupid, it's an achievement. Your sense of entitlement on the game giving you all 1000 GS points easily is so dumb.

This is my problem with achievements, 90% of them are given by just beating the game on a single play through. I like achievements like Seriously 1,2, & 3. You'd be batshit insane to get Seriously 3.0, but at least it is an actual achievement to do it. Getting 3 headshots in a row is something I've done in 5000 games probably, whoop dee doo.

At the end of the day, they're still worthless and mean nothing. In a perfect world, achievements would be hard as balls and would unlock secrets in the game like character skins, weapon skins, etc. But the babies would cry too much if something like that happened, gotta think of the casuals!

139,808 kills in Halo 3, achievement unlocked! That was kind of my point though, it'd be something not even 10% of the population would unlock probably, thus being an actual achievement in the game. You could then award these people in later games by giving them some type of badge, weapon skin, character skin, etc. for having past game achievements. Epic does a lot of stuff wrong, but the way they handle achievements is superb.

I remember when Bungie mentioned having all of the achievements in past Halo games would be beneficial for Reach, then it turns out that it's two of the crappiest helmets in the game and they're linked to easy achievements, that's so retarded to me.

ElRenoRaven

Well Let's start from the beginning.

Spartan lasers when they were experimental in Halo 3 which is long long after this timeframe. Spartans with their armor and shielding technology long before they should have had that. Then throw in the Spartan's themselves who should not exist. Those are just off the top of my head

squidhands said:
Wait, how does not getting an achievement gyp you on your purchase? Buying map packs that can hardly be played except in a lone, crappy playlist is one thing (or in Gears' case, not being able to play maps in matchmaking at all), but I really don't understand how not getting a virtual pat on the back robs you of money spent on a game.
Let's make an important distinction first: I said I felt like I was gypped out of my purchase, not that being unable to do certain achievements gyps you on your purchase. Obviously if a game is of excellent quality, you got your money's worth, but I get the feeling that I've been gypped when I like a game enough to try to get all the achievements but can't because I'm physically unable to do them. Take the Orange Box for example. One of my favorite games ever, and one of my most replayed games of the generation. Totally worth the $60 I bought it the day it came out. However, I do feel a twinge of frustration when I look at the game and know I'll never be able get 1000/1000 because I can't do those stupid gold Portal challenges or get some of the TF2 achievements.

An achievement, I think, despite it's name, is something everyone should be able to do if they dedicate themselves and put enough time into it (not to the ridiculousness of something like Seriously 3.0 obviously).

Obviously I won't be gypped on my purchase of Anniversary because I can't use the Kinect features, but I do feel slightly gypped for not being able to access the analyze feature.
Ramirez said:
It's not stupid, it's an achievement. Your sense of entitlement on the game giving you all 1000 GS points easily is so dumb.
No, it's pretty stupid. Duncan's post lays out why pretty clearly. MP achievements should not be in games at all, anyway.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
No, it's pretty stupid. Duncan's post lays out why pretty clearly. MP achievements should not be in games at all, anyway.

It's only stupid to you because you know you'd never get it, as an achievement, it's brilliant, because you know it's an actual um...achievement to get it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:

Spartan lasers when they were experimental in Halo 3 which is long long after this timeframe. Spartans with their armor and shielding technology long before they should have had that. Then throw in the Spartan's themselves who should not exist. Those are just off the top of my head

The Spartan lasers are, as you correctly note, experimental, but that's a model, not technology-specific statement, which anyone in the Navy working on coherent light-based weapons here in the 21st century would probably point out.

This isn't a cop-out, it's just chronology.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
The Spartan lasers are, as you correctly note, experimental, but that's a model, not technology-specific statement, which anyone in the Navy working on coherent light-based weapons here in the 21st century would probably point out.

This isn't a cop-out, it's just chronology.

That still leaves the rest. lol

blamite

PsychoRaven said:

I always figured the "shield" the Spartans had was just supposed to be something like Stamina in ODST, as a way to make Spartans more powerful. The invention of a bunch of new Spartans for Red and Omega (wtf) teams was always the thing that bothered me the most.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
I always figured the "shield" the Spartans had was just supposed to be something like Stamina in ODST, as a way to make Spartans more powerful. The invention of a bunch of new Spartans for Red and Omega (wtf) teams was always the thing that bothered me the most.

They did try to say that wasn't really shield but it made the sound. Had the recharge bar and worked like shields. So they're shields.

OuterWorldVoice said:
A wizard did the rest.

I thought so. lol

Ramirez said:
It's only stupid to you because you know you'd never get it, as an achievement, it's brilliant, because you know it's an actual um...achievement to get it.
That and because it's so ridiculous in its conditions to meet the achievement and the amount of points it dishes out for said achievement. I'd hardly call it brilliant.

Besides, you're trying to blur the lines of what qualifies something to be an "achievement" in order to justify its existence. It's not brilliant simply because it's "an achievement" to get. There are many more qualities to what makes an achievement great than how hard it is to get.

Hey You

I like multplayer achievements, gives me something to work for. I like Halo 3's DLC ones, these ones are a little ridiculous, but I'll get them neverless.

Gets me to do stuff I wouldn't normally do (hop on a ghost,use jetpack....try to purposely get stuck).

Louis Wu

Dax01 said:
Besides, you're trying to blur the lines of what qualifies something to be an "achievement" in order to justify its existence. It's not brilliant simply because it's "an achievement" to get. There are many more qualities to what makes an achievement great than how hard it is to get.
Heh - I'm not actually getting into the discussion of whether Achievements are worth more when only a small subset of the community can get them... but read what you wrote, and think about what these things are called.

They're Achievements.

If you asked someone who didn't play video games to guess what they were... I bet they'd come up with something like "something that's hard to get".

Ken

Dax01 said:
That and because it's so ridiculous in its conditions to meet the achievement and the amount of points it dishes out for said achievement. I'd hardly call it brilliant.

Amount of points tied to an achievement means nothing when you can get more points from another game for just pressing B a few times; what matters is that you actually have the achievement unlocked on your gamertag to show your dedication/time investment/craziness to pursue it.

If it's not something you can dedicate yourself to getting then it's something you failed to achieve, and since there's no rule that every gamer that plays the game must be able to obtain the full 1000/1000 before shelving the game, I don't see a problem with ridiculous achievements.

Dax01 said:
An achievement, I think, despite it's name, is something everyone should be able to do if they dedicate themselves and put enough time into it (not to the ridiculousness of something like Seriously 3.0 obviously).

Obviously I won't be gypped on my purchase of Anniversary because I can't use the Kinect features, but I do feel slightly gypped for not being able to access the analyze feature.
To the first, I disagree. To me, your statement is similar to giving trophies to kids who participate in a sport, instead of just to those that actually win. It's a celebration of mediocrity (to paraphrase The Incredibles) which I don't agree with. There's plenty of pablum game achievements for participation/completion of a video game, and I have no problem with much harder achievements that I may never get for whatever reason. I really like the idea behind the Seriously 3.0 achievement, as it includes a multitude of things you have to...um, achieve to get it. It's way overblown in my opinion, but the concept is far superior to a lot of other achievements that I've seen. Halo should take note of it and attempt something similar.

As to the second part, I agree with you. It's not that I'm really that interested in the features, but it sets a dangerous boundary that gaming companies will continue to push because they want you to buy more that just the game and basic platform. No online access? Tough shit, no Catwoman storyline for you. No Kinect? Tough shit, you don't get to access the Library feature. I can only see this getting worse for the consumer.

edit: a wild urk appears!!

senador

Banned
OMG its urk. That's like spotting a wild unicorn these days. urkicorn?

I don't like these achievements because they reinforce negative behavior (IMO) in games and will take me out of my comfort zone of how I like to play. Maybe that's the point. I'm sure I'll have fun getting them though I suppose.

But, LOL @ Dax

Edit: WTF urk: http://t.co/7YSRiSVx Haha!

senador said:
OMG its urk. That's like spotting a wild unicorn these days. urkicorn?

I don't like these achievements because they reinforce negative behavior (IMO) in games and will take me out of my comfort zone of how I like to play. Maybe that's the point. I'm sure I'll have fun getting them though I suppose.

But, LOL @ Dax

Urk lives....

I feel the same way about the achievements. I'm not against MP achievements as long as they don't promote a certain irregular action in the game. Most of these achievements definitely qualify for that.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Frank, are we ever going to see a soundtrack pack with all Halo music to date? I would love to have a "Ten Years of Halo Music" OST.
They will release a remastered Halo: CE soundtrack on CD and a green limited Vinyl.

Btw. Who is Frank? :p

PooBone

Louis Wu said:
Heh - I'm not actually getting into the discussion of whether Achievements are worth more when only a small subset of the community can get them... but read what you wrote, and think about what these things are called.

They're Achievements.

If you asked someone who didn't play video games to guess what they were... I bet they'd come up with something like "something that's hard to get".
Make em hard, not life consuming.

Louis Wu said:

They're Achievements.

Right, I've already addressed this. I think there's far too much emphasis on the actual name because of many achievements that are quite easy to get. An achievement, that is, what you unlock on the 360, is something that goes beyond its difficulty.
Ken said:
Amount of points tied to an achievement means nothing when you can get more points from another game for just pressing B a few times; what matters is that you actually have the achievement unlocked on your gamertag to show your dedication/time investment/craziness to pursue it.
You have a point, but there's a better way of doing this in order to please both crowds (yours and mine). Seriously 3.0, the achievement, could be simply reach level 100 in MP. Then there could be a separate challenge in which you have to reach level 100 and do all the other crazy shit the current Seriously 3.0 describes and be given an character/weapon skin as a reward. That way you get all the benefits of getting the achievement (showing others your dedication/time/investment/craziness) without impeding others like me who wanna get 1000/1000 gamerscore.
squidhands said:
To the first, I disagree. To me, your statement is similar to giving trophies to kids who participate in a sport, instead of just to those that actually win. It's a celebration of mediocrity (to paraphrase The Incredibles) which I don't agree with.
I think your analogy is flawed in that it matters more who comes out on top in sports than it does with gamerscore. Who cares if it a terrible player is able to get the same amount of gamerscore as a good player in a game? What does it matter? Conversely, what does it matter that I can get all the achievements? Well, because I like going after achievements in games I really enjoy, and I feel gypped if I can't get one. Until I stop caring about achievements (when, not if), my opinion on the matter won't change. When that happens, I'll probably feel the same way you guys do.

I hope I'm making sense.

You guys are making good points, don't get me wrong.

"Achievements" are just the chosen name for the functional items in the meta-scoring system on Xbox LIVE. They could have called them "Accomplishments" or "Completed Actions" or "Challenges" or "Trophies". For right now, it's pretty much left up to the developer what role they should have. You can make ones for simply booting up the game, beating the game, accomplishing a hard task, a silly task, or an exclusive feat (like reaching the top of the leaderboard), or any number of other things.

Is it really necessary that they all conform to some standard? Their "worth" in terms of points is essentially arbitrary when you survey them. I like that developers can currently use them to their own purpose. That said, I dislike ones that interfere with the natural play of multiplayer, like those in the Anniversary Map Pack.

heckfu said:
Like "Watch Titanic Without Crying - 75"

It'd take a while (and I mean a WHILE) but I think I could eventually get it.

I got it on my first try, although the boredom very nearly did bring me to tears.

I can just see Ghaleon raging impotently while reading this comment

Dax01 said:
You have a point, but there's a better way of doing this in order to please both crowds (yours and mine). Seriously 3.0, the achievement, could be simply reach level 100 in MP. Then there could be a separate challenge in which you have to reach level 100 and do all the other crazy shit the current Seriously 3.0 describes and be given an character/weapon skin as a reward. That way you get all the benefits of getting the achievement (showing others your dedication/time/investment/craziness) without impeding others like me who wanna get 1000/1000 gamerscore.
Okay, but what about the kids who want every character/weapon skin and don't want to be impeded from that goal? Trophies, achievements, unlockables... it's all essentially the same. We're talking about reward schedules, and a game designer really can't please everybody. As an individual presented with a reward schedule that frustrates you in some way, make the intelligent choice and get back to doing the things you enjoy. If you enjoy jumping through hoops to hear the "bleep bloop" go for it. If not, just enjoy the damn game. I haven't hit 100 percent in a single Halo game (Bungie keeps putting in the silly two kills from the grave Achievement which is statistically so unlikely for me in either 3 or Reach that it's laughable).

Also
Tyler Durden said:
You're not your fucking GamerScore

senador

Banned
So I'm going through the "Great Journey" Halo art book and the concept art for Assault on the Control Room in CEA looks just like we saw in the BTS clip this week. I can't wait to play it! I'd take a pic, but I don't know if I should or not.

The CEA art in this book looks so good. I'd love just a CEA concept art book. Get on that 343!

PooBone

Ramirez said:
They're only life consuming if you choose to let them be, the devs don't have a gun to your head.
In order to achieve something like 100,000 kills, you would have to either have a gun to your head or let it consume your life. Achievements shouldn't require either, unless they are the following:

"Virgin - 0G - Earned 100,000 kills in Halo:Reach"

"No Friends - 0G - Neglect friends, family, and life to acquire the 'Virgin' Achievement"

Ramirez said:
Well, that's like your opinion, man.
I share his opinion.

PooBone

senador said:
So I'm going through the "Great Journey" Halo art book and the concept art for Assault on the Control Room in CEA looks just like we saw in the BTS clip this week. I can't wait to play it! I'd take a pic, but I don't know if I should or not.

The CEA art in this book looks so good. I'd love just a CEA concept art book. Get on that 343!
Post it!

Top Bottom