• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
Countdown, Guardian ... amazing.

Can you dig it?
Given that their default weapon/powerup placements were universally garbage, no, I cannot dig it.

Whether or not the sandbox is altered isn't relevant - there are weapon archetypes that exist in a Halo game that will be filled. That's a given, and if you think there isn't going to be a midrange weapon that acts like a BR/DMR/Pistol, a powerful melee weapon, an automatic starting weapon, and heavy explosive weapons, I cannot get behind your line of thinking. These will ensure at least some level of consistency across games. That 'Halo feel' comes from that.
Dax01 said:
Well, even if a quality map is remade it isn't guaranteed it will be good.
Sure, that's true, but there's a smaller chance of getting a Blackout or a Last Resort than an Isolation/Boardwalk/Spire/Epitaph.

Just wanted to pop in and say the bungie android app is pretty dope. I see myself using it regularly just for acess to my xbox live friends whenever I want.

About the achievements:
-2 achievements involving stickys
-An infection achievement! (foot me now)
-A headhunter achievement (is that even in matchmaking anymore?)

Poor achievements to say the least.

FyreWulff

The DLC locks these into having to exist in matchmaking from anniversary forward:

Infection gametype

Gametypes that have flags and stickies in them

Jetpacks

Headhunter

edit: Ghaleon brings up a good point on Twitter: no achievement for the new Installation 04 Firefight map. What.

A lot of these achievements heavily influence player behavior. I'm pretty sure I'm just full partying all of them to get them out of the way for everyone.

Captain Blood said:
Just wanted to pop in and say the bungie android app is pretty dope. I see myself using it regularly just for acess to my xbox live friends whenever I want.
This. Even the list on bnet is better than xbox.com :lol

Homeboyd

Judderman said:
3nt9L.gif
BOOM! ROASTED!

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
The DLC locks these into having to exist in matchmaking from anniversary forward:

Infection gametype

Jetpacks

Headhunter

edit: Ghaleon brings up a good point on Twitter: no achievement for the new Installation 04 Firefight map. What.

A lot of these achievements heavily influence player behavior. I'm pretty sure I'm just full partying all of them to get them out of the way for everyone.

Yea. That actually kind of surprised me too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Captain Blood said:

Yea it's pretty sexy. Runs nicely.

Tashi

Working on my MLG Orlando experience video. I have 2 hours of footage about. I'm trying to cut it down to under 30. Have about 12 so far lol.

FyreWulff said:

Infection gametype

Jetpacks

Headhunter

Pretty disappointing list, and I think it confirms that 343 will follow Bungie's original plan for DLC in Reach and not being requiring DLC in any of the main core playlists.

PNut

Banned
Yeah the MP achievements are bad. Just gunna get them in a full party like the Reach DLC.
Looking forward to the Campaign achievements though.

Blinding

Why is there a sword and shotgun on Countdown? There's absolutely no reason for either of them to be on that map, let alone both of them.

The MP achievements are kinda meh, was hoping for them to be map specific but oh well.

Ramirez said:
Won't these be exclusive to the CEA playlists anyways?
Yep. I think they are.

I'm just curious, why they didn't give Reach the full 1750GS. Fyrewulf mentioned already, we can expect another DLC or some pretty neat 343i GuiltySparkymasterChallenges.

I ain't thinking that the achievements are bad. There are better as the Defiant achievements...

stephen08

Part of the thing I dislike about DLC MP achievements is it feels like I have to re-do these feats. I'm pretty sure I have done all of these but now deliberately getting them is going to be annoying.

squidhands said:
I wonder if there's anyone who actually likes to go for the multiplayer achievements, and doesn't look at them as a chore or a grind.

I like them, most if not all the halo achievements in halo have been easy for me because of the group of people I play with.

The headhunter isn't bad at all, it comes up often in Multi team, and scoring ten doesn't end the end game. You just have rely on your team mates having your back.

Also these achievements add 250gs, making it 1650gs overall, hmmm, I wonder if they do anything to the reach the maximum of what allowed.

I think they look fun and easy to get. Its good to relax. Why do you all care so much? Get them gamerpoints yall. So you can be more nerdy than you already are!!

Blinding said:
Why is there a sword and shotgun on Countdown? There's absolutely no reason for either of them to be on that map, let alone both of them.
Ah but you are forgetting that Reach wouldn't be Reach without an abundance of overly cheap weapons on each map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Bungie Android App is pretty sweet. Those multiplayer Achievements are not that interesting.

Never a good thing when a game's achievements promotes disruptive behavior.

I'm just not seeing how any of the achievements are going to cause much disruptive behavior, with the exception of maybe "Stick and kill the flag carrier with a Plasma Grenade in a matchmade game." And even that one doesn't seem that offensive to me. When you try and kill a flag carrier, grenades are thrown anyway.

*looks at achievements*

Ah crud buckets. Disappointed, but not surprised. Bet there's some data that says the multiplayer/longevity decreases if you don't have achievements like these.
It doesn't justify how horrible some of them are though.
Am I right in noticing no Anniversary exclusive multi achievements? Bizarre.

343i doing general community playdate.

Tunavi

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I'm just not seeing how any of the achievements are going to cause much disruptive behavior
The thing that bothers me is that headhunter is now a permanent gametype in reach because it's tied to an achievement

Tunavi said:
The thing that bothers me is that headhunter is now a permanent gametype in reach because it's tied to an achievement
I kind of enjoy Headhunter, but it might be better off only existing in the FFA playlist.

Ramirez

Tunavi said:

It's left to rot in FFA & Multi Team...really doubt it creeps back into 4v4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Deputy Moonman said:
I'm just not seeing how any of the achievements are going to cause much disruptive behavior, with the exception of maybe "Stick and kill the flag carrier with a Plasma Grenade in a matchmade game." And even that one doesn't seem that offensive to me. When you try and kill a flag carrier, grenades are thrown anyway.

Some of them do encourage crappy behaviour.

Perform a Beat Down on an enemy player while using the Jetpack during a matchmade game.

You'll see idiots with the jet pack trying to get this achievement over playing the game properly. If you wonder why in future there seems to be an increase in low-altitude jet-packing morons, you'll know why.

Run over 5 people with a Ghost in a matchmade game.

A splatter spree with a ghost, eh? Watch teams fight and betray over who gets the Ghost each time. Fun!

Kill an enemy player that sticks you with a Plasma Grenade with their own grenade in a matchmade game.

In other words, "Let yourself be killed and then try to take the enemy that killed you with you as you die!". If someone had told me this was going to be an actual Halo achievement yesterday I would have laughed. Now I'm just sad.

Multiplayer achievements need to be handled with care and like others have said these particular Achievements seem not to have learned from the mistakes of past Halo multiplayer Achievements and it's a shame. Nothing to get worked up about in all honesty but it's worth noting disappointment concerning them.

Slightly Live said:
You'll see idiots with the jet pack trying to get this achievement over playing the game properly. If you wonder why in future there seems to be an increase in low-altitude jet-packing morons, you'll know why.

This one will come by itself if you use the jetpack once in a while... I've did it quite a few times, usually chasing other jetpackers.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:
People still care about achievements that aren't fun in their own right in 2011?
People still care about lousy achievements encouraging lousy players into lousy and disruptive behaviour in 2011?

TheOddOne said:
Looks like most of CE MP chievos, if not all, can be done in costums.
What makes you say that? Every achievement says "in a matchmade game". So unless downloading the gametypes works, we'd have to do these in matchmaking.

TheOddOne

Blue Ninja said:
What makes you say that? Every achievement says "in a matchmade game". So unless downloading the gametypes works, we'd have to do these in matchmaking.
Defiant Map Pack had the same requirements, but somebody made a custom file that can get the achievement in customs.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
TheOddOne said:
Defiant Map Pack had the same requirements, but somebody made a custom file that can get the achievement in customs.

Custom file?
KuGsj.gif

All you have to do is save a gametype from Matchmaking in your recent games history and load that gametype up in Customs. No body hacked it, it was an error on 343/CA's part.

TheOddOne

Slightly Live said:
Custom file?
KuGsj.gif

All you have to do is save a gametype from Matchmaking in your recent games history and load that gametype up in Customs. No body hacked it, it was an error on 343/CA's part.
I thought they made it
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, posted this some pages ago and no doubt you can get the chievos the same way.

Slightly Live said:

A splatter spree with a ghost, eh? Watch teams fight and betray over who gets the Ghost each time. Fun!

In other words, "Let yourself be killed and then try to take the enemy that killed you with you as you die!". If someone had told me this was going to be an actual Halo achievement yesterday I would have laughed. Now I'm just sad.

Multiplayer achievements need to be handled with care and like others have said these particular Achievements seem not to have learned from the mistakes of past Halo multiplayer Achievements and it's a shame. Nothing to get worked up about in all honesty but it's worth noting disappointment concerning them.
The jetpack one isn't really an achievement that can be done without actually playing the game how you would normally play the game. Just flying into the air for the sake of flying into the air is going to get people killed. But yes, I'm sure there will be idiots who focus only on the beat down achievement, and they will die a lot for it.

Really, I think most of the achievements will be fairly easy to do without thinking about what you're doing. For instance, running into someone on a small map and getting stuck by a player happens quite frequently. All you have to do is run into whoever stuck you and that achievement can be marked off the list.

And while a person can try and betray you for taking the ghost, that's a much more difficult task than simply betraying someone for getting to the sniper rifle first. But i tend to avoid BTB and Invasion, so that's not an achievement I'd even bother with.

As molekiller mentioned, most of these don't require any change in play style. They should happen pretty quickly. I'm indifferent to achievements for the most part. They're cool when you get them, but ultimately, they don't do anything other than boost an arbitrary gamer score. And if the achievements do cause some mayhem initially, from people playing differently than they normally would, it should calm down after a week or two, if that.

Striker

Deputy Moonman said:
Ah but you are forgetting that Reach wouldn't be Reach without an abundance of overly cheap weapons on each map.
Guardian says hi, especially red spawn which grants sniper, overshield, bubble shield, and easier access to brute hammer. Cheap? There ya go.

Tashi

Guardian was an overrated map. The MLG version was the only decent one. The stock version was a joke and is also a prime example of how radar just downright breaks some maps. I think we need to take a serious look at radar. I'm of the belief that no radar is the way to go. The maps play more freely.

I'm the only one who is disappointed and can post here, that there are no new Firefight achievements? Seriously there should be some... I really hoped for an achievement like "Ring defender - On Installation 04 passed the 4th Set on 4-player Legendary Co-op with a score of 5,000,000 points" 75points. I know people going to boot this achievement, unfortunately. =( I still would try to get the achievement legally.

ElzarTheBam said:
I like them, most if not all the halo achievements in halo have been easy for me because of the group of people I play with.

The headhunter isn't bad at all, it comes up often in Multi team, and scoring ten doesn't end the end game. You just have rely on your team mates having your back.

Also these achievements add 250gs, making it 1650gs overall, hmmm, I wonder if they do anything to the reach the maximum of what allowed.
I hope you know how fortunate you are. For the erratic players like me who have no set schedule of when I can play anything, it's tough to be able to get with anything resembling a group. I got the Ate All the Chips achievement with a team and it was actually fun, but attempting to go in to any playlist solo (I know, I know, it's a terrible thing to do) is really no fun for me and it keeps me from MP more often than not.

Slightly Live said:
People still care about lousy achievements encouraging lousy players into lousy and disruptive behaviour in 2011?
Exactly. So many people play like complete asshats as it is, and the daily challenges and now these achievements could make it really unbearable. And not one of those achievements couldn't go toward Firefight?! Thanks for the love, 343. :-\

edit: I feel your pain, Hyper!!!!

Top Bottom