• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff

Dani said:
Less than a year later, one of the most prominent gaming journalists forgets Halo: Reach even existed.

KuGsj.gif

He's probably also one of the journalists that thinks Goldeneye on the 360 is a completely brand new game that was certainly never on the Wii.

wwm0nkey said:
That guy that removed bloom a year ago apparently also adding in shield bleed through AND nerfed grenades to where they dont pierce shields.

Video

The video has been up for awhile but I never bothered looking at his account lol
for those who complain about the Reach grenades I suggest going and playing CE again. Those things are mini nukes. I love them, and the game is amazing. I just think it's hilarious how people complain about the Reach grenades while begging for Halo 1 gameplay.

FyreWulff

Devin Olsen said:
for those who complain about the Reach grenades I suggest going and playing CE again. Those things are mini nukes. I love them, and the game is amazing. I just think it's hilarious how people complain about the Reach grenades while begging for Halo 1 gameplay.

Also Halo 2 stickies pre-patch

DEAR LORD

Devin Olsen said:

The blast radii are huge it's true but the movement isn't gimped.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Halo 1 grenades detonate 1 second after coming to a full rest on the ground.

Reach grenades blow 1 second after touching a surface.

Halo 1's were nukes, but you had time to avoid them when they were incoming. In Reach, you do not; the time from impact to detonation is a fraction what Halo 1 was.

wwm0nkey said:
That guy that removed bloom a year ago apparently also adding in shield bleed through AND nerfed grenades to where they dont pierce shields.

Video

The video has been up for awhile but I never bothered looking at his account lol
He also removed fall damage and made the DMR a 4sk weapon, something 343 haven't achieved yet.
Hire this kid Frankie!

wwm0nkey

GhaleonEB said:

Halo 1's were nukes, but you had time to avoid them when they were incoming. In Reach, you do not; the time from impact to detonation is a fraction what Halo 1 was.
After you hear *tap* in Halo: Reach you know you are fucked lol

Gabotron ES said:
He also removed fall damage and made the DMR a 4sk weapon, something 343 haven't achieved yet.
Hire this kid Frankie!

Somehow I get the feeling there's more to it than that, 343 are probably trying to code in a very specific scaleable way, for all we know that kid is simply throwing together a bunch of hacks which cause errors elsewhere?

Not saying he isnt doing something amazing which I would love to get my hands on, but somehow I doubt he is working in a way which would meet the quality bar needed for a multiplayer game.

From what I have heard theres only 1 dude programming the TU? If thats the case oh my god he deserves a payrise. I think people overestimate how hard that is.

Devin Olsen I seriously cant remember Halo 1 nades being as bad as Reach nades, maybe it was just easier to move out of the way? Halo 1 surely wasnt as gimped in terms of movement lol?

You know whats fucking annoying in Reach?

Theres like one explosion in FF and then six plasma grenades on the ground chain link blowup and all of a sudden you're in respawn screen.

What the fuck is that shit!? That accounts for like 94.628 percent of my FF deaths.

GhaleonEB said:

On top of that you have the movement options to actually get away from grenades and the weapons kills much much faster in Halo CE, which nullifies nades a bit as well.

Josh Hamrick once said in a podcast that he thought that Halo CE had the best nades and that Reach was trying to go back to something similar. Unfortunately, the only similarity between Reach grenades and CE grenades is that they have a large blast radius and are powerful.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:

You could make a sandwich in the time between throwing a plasma and detonation in Halo 1.

Gabotron ES said:
Hire this kid Frankie!

A lot easier to do with a mod to a single .map than actually having to care about a bunch of other knock-on effects of code changing, cert, and memory usage. The title update is adding actual new Megalo hooks that don't exist in Reach 1.0. This kid is just doing fast but permanent one-way changes to a map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
A lot easier to do with a mod to a single .map than actually having to care about a bunch of other knock-on effects of code changing, cert, and memory usage. The title update is adding actual new Megalo hooks that don't exist in Reach 1.0. This kid is just doing fast but permanent one-way changes to a map.

And this is why folks shouldn't pin all their hopes on the TU. No matter how good it will be, there's a definite limit of what can be done with it.

The substantial changes will be waiting for us in Halo 4.

Dani said:
And this is why folks shouldn't pin all their hopes on the TU. No matter how good it will be, there's a definite limit of what can be done with it.

The substantial changes will be waiting for us in Halo 4.

Shishka said in the panel that there wasn't much they couldn't do, but it was mostly a matter of time and resources.

I think what were are getting the TU are some very substantial changes, even if they didn't fill out everyones dream list.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
Shishka said in the panel that there wasn't much they couldn't do, but it was mostly a matter of time and resources.

I think what were are getting the TU are some very substantial changes, even if they didn't fill out everyones dream list.

Yeah, I'm not saying the TU aren't grand or anything, they are in some cases but as you pointed out, time and resource limits are key here.

I think most of the things that won't make the TU cut will be prime candidates for consideration as 343 prime the Halo 4 sandbox, if applicable.

cory021

Neo Member
Would it be possible for 343 to post their Weekly Bulletin on Halo Waypoint (on the Xbox)? It'd be kind of cool to be able to play a few games of matchmaking on Wednesday night and then switch right over to Waypoint and read the Weekly Bulletin on the same TV within minutes.

Just an idea.

wwm0nkey

cory021 said:
Would it be possible for 343 to post their Weekly Bulletin on Halo Waypoint (on the Xbox)? It'd be kind of cool to be able to play a few games of matchmaking on Wednesday night and then switch right over to Waypoint and read the Weekly Bulletin on the same TV within minutes.

Just an idea.
i think that is coming in the new update this fall

Dani said:
Yeah, I'm not saying the TU aren't grand or anything, they are in some cases but as you pointed out, time and resource limits are key here.

I think most of the things that won't make the TU cut will be prime candidates for consideration as 343 prime the Halo 4 sandbox, if applicable.

Agreed. The public's reaction to some of the things included in the Reach TU could end affecting some things in Halo 4's MP.

At the very least, it will give them some good feedback on what people like and don't like. For instance, it will be interesting to see how the masses react to a 3sk Magnum in Anniversary gametypes.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:

I'm still interested to know if there's any / what bugfixes are in there.

- Gauss Hog shots railgunning through FW objects
- Duplicated copies of each map variant upon exiting a game
- Elites going through the ground when trying to sprint with objectives

GhaleonEB said:

Eh. Not in Action Sack they don't. Or, at least, that's what it looks like. Whenever they land on the ground they take one second to blow after coming to a rest. But when you bounce it off a wall or something, it blows a second after touching the surface.

FyreWulff said:
I'm still interested to know if there's any / what bugfixes are in there.

- Gauss Hog shots railgunning through FW objects
- Duplicated copies of each map variant upon exiting a game
- Elites going through the ground when trying to sprint with objectives

Yeah I'm interested in the Gauss Hog bug and I'd like to know if there are any matchmaking/server changes made, like increasing the DLC filters so that the maps actually show up.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
cory021 said:

Just an idea.

Why can't we access Waypoint, including the new expanded content coming soon, from within the game itself?

The downside of using Waypoint is that you need to disconnect from playing Halo in order to tap into Halo Waypoint, which is supposed to link you into the Halo games. But it doesn't. It forces you to disconnect from Halo if you want to use it.

Waypoint has a nice suite of unique achievements and social items but the simple fact that you have to use Waypoint in the least social way possible to access it mostly defeats the purpose. Playing Halo with your buddies and want to check out Waypoint? Tough. You need to leave your friends behind and stop playing the game.

Imagine playing some Halo with your party. You play some Custom games, some Matchmaking. You start smack talking and decide to compare some stats and it's all there in the game, you don't have to leave. Maybe you'LL create a weekly challenge there and then and challenge everyone in your current party. Maybe you're on your own and you buddies aren't online so you select one of the Sparkast episodes to stream over the headset instead of listening to a bunch of teenagers insult you from the oppositte (and occasionally your own) team. Maybe after playing some games you want a break so you take your party over to Theatre 3.0 and watch some old Halo 3 Vidocs or Red vrs Blue. You start up matchmaking again and choose to keep on watching the videos with your buddies until voting starts - you might even tolerate long waiting times between games.

There's a disconnect between the Waypoint app and the Waypoint web site. And a further barrier again between both of them and the actual Halo games. I hope they're working on integrating Waypoint as a service within the game for future Halo titles. It's definitely where Waypoint should be headed.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Man, listening to Halo 3's OST is giving me shivers. So awesome.
A bit off topic but i just realised, while listening to Undying Love by Two Steps from Hell, that it DOES NOT give me shivers anymore. Bad sign? Need to listen some Halo 3 OST next and see if it has any effect me. If not... ????

MrBig

I don't use waypoint on consoles. The chair I use for gaming is the same one I use for my computer, I just roller over a couple feet. A lot of people have set ups like this. Having it be a part of the game would be good, but for people like me it would feel pointless when I can keep playing my game and then read during searches and other lulls. And there on the website you get access to everything as compared to the slices you get on the console interface. That said I really don't go on waypoint much since there is not much stuff to my interest there.

Woorloog said:
A bit off topic but i just realised, while listening to Undying Love by Two Steps from Hell, that it DOES NOT give me shivers anymore. Bad sign? Need to listen some Halo 3 OST next and see if it has any effect me. If not... ????
I never thought Undying Love was that great. TSfH has some great tracks, but that one doesn't do much for me.

I dunno, it's been a while since I sat down and played/listened to Halo 3. Did both this weekend, and it's so good.

EDIT: And then I reach "Lvurfr3nz". So bad. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
I don't use waypoint on consoles. The chair I use for gaming is the same one I use for my computer, I just roller over a couple feet. A lot of people have set ups like this. Having it be a part of the game would be good, but for people like me it would feel pointless when I can keep playing my game and then read during searches and other lulls.

I have to force myself to remember to use it. Like you, I have my pc right beside me so there's little reason to visit the separate Waypoint app when I have the majority of the content at my fingertips already.

If Waypoint was build directly into the game, then it would make much more sense to access the content from the game itself, a significant portion of which would benefit from that kind of ease of access - especially for those without a pc handy.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
You know what would be even better, getting access to Waypoint's full content, including the new expanded content coming soon, all from within the game itself.

The downside of using Waypoint is that you need to disconnect from playing Halo in order to tap into Halo Waypoint, which is supposed to link you into the Halo games. But it doesn't.

Waypoint has a nice suite of unique achievements and social items but the simple fact that you have to use Waypoint in the least social way possible to access it kinda defeats the purpose.

Imagine playing some Halo with your party. You play some Custom games, some Matchmaking. You start smack talking and decide to compare some stats and it's all there in the game, you don't have to leave. Maybe you'LL create a weekly challenge there and then and challenge everyone in your current party. Maybe you're on your own and you buddies aren't online so you select one of the Sparkast episodes to stream over the headset instead of listening to a bunch of teenagers insult you from the oppositte (and occasionally your own) team. Maybe after playing some games you want a break so you take your party over to Theatre 3.0 and watch some old Halo 3 Vidocs or Red vrs Blue. You start up matchmaking again and choose to keep on watching the videos with your buddies until voting starts - you might even tolerate long waiting times between games.

There's a disconnect between the Waypoint app and the Waypoint web site. And a further barrier again between both of them and the actual Halo games. I hope they're working on integrating Waypoint as a service within the game for future Halo titles. It's definitely where Waypoint should be headed.
I like the way you think

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I never thought Undying Love was that great. TSfH has some great tracks, but that one doesn't do much for me.

I dunno, it's been a while since I sat down and played/listened to Halo 3. Did both this weekend, and it's so good.
Most TSFH don't give me shivers nor do i care for most of them. Undying Love is an exception.
Halo 3 music doesn't raise any feelings in me, other than small feel that "damn this is way better game than Reach" but it's a small thing only, easily missed.
Either i'm currently emotionally deadened (not good i suppose) or my Halo burnout is worse/deeper than i thought. I suppose. Doesn't explain any other music's lack of effect though.

EDIT or maybe i should gather my willpower and go to sleep. I hate how internet tries to move me to US timezones.
EDIT2, okay this is ridiculous. I listen to Halo CE OST: Brothers in Arms. The beginning gave a small shiver i actually felt... and that's it. I'm almost laughing at how pitiful effect it had. And i'm like "WTF? why it doesn't work?" as well.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
Got so many ragequit medals today. Now I need to make one for the ragequitter, any ideas?
Mark of Shame? The one that was burned on the Arbiter's chest?
Though it's too cool a symbol to waste on ragequitters.

Woorloog

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Nope fan made
Why does it have a Wikipedia article? Notable enough? And some idiot has decided to leave out words "fan film"
EDIT and "credible" citations... all based on Facebook or the film's own site.
EDIT added "fan made" to the wikipedia article.
By the way, any timeframe when Operation Chastity comes? It's another fan film in case someone doesn't know it.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
It's a fan film and it is going to be bad because there is too much hype for it.
I do think some people are hyping this up a bit much. I just think it will be cool to see a Halo fan film with a lot of CGI and with Operation Chastity still being worked on this will have to do lol

Donat

Neo Member
Woah, I just managed to catch up with all the threads (>5k posts).
I hope everyone had fun at Halofest, I'm still sad I missed it. Maybe next year.

Also, the ragequit medal NEEDS to happen. (TU2!)

Willeth

Woorloog said:
Why does it have a Wikipedia article? Notable enough? And some idiot has decided to leave out words "fan film"

By the way, any timeframe when Operation Chastity comes? It's another fan film in case someone doesn't know it.
The director of OC was at Halo Fest but not in any capacity with the film, just as a fan. Their schedule was super ambitious even when I interviewed him a few years ago and it's been slow going since then.

The Warthog they built is fucking cool, they have pre-production shots out and everything looks really authentic. Last I heard they wanted puppets and bodysuits rather than CGI for the Covenant and it's just the biggest undertaking for the team.

Unfortunately the site hasn't been updated in a while. I get the feeling they're taking a step back because they aren't as far along as Faith and don't want to be overshadowed.

Crucio

Dani said:
I have to force myself to remember to use it. Like you, I have my pc right beside me so there's little reason to visit the separate Waypoint app when I have the majority of the content at my fingertips already.

If Waypoint was build directly into the game, then it would make much more sense to access the content from the game itself, a significant portion of which would benefit from that kind of ease of access - especially for those without a pc handy.
I would love for Waypoint to be a integrated experience in Halo 4.
At least in the fall update there will be a "Play Halo" button, inside Halo Waypoints UI.

Top Bottom