• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

stephen08

Tunavi said:
Loadouts ruined halo.

Hyperbole ruined your post.

Regarding that game from a few weeks ago, I readily betray teammates who deserve it. Betrayals, Yoinks, holding the objective, etc. Not only do I admit that, but I relish it. Jerks deserve to be jerked around.

He has a penalty with a plasma nade so I am guessing he betrayed me first.

I do like though that I'm a big enough deal for you guys to investigate though.

FyreWulff said:
Yeah. DEEP NNN didn't track Team Objective much, but it went from about 900-1500 nightly to maxing around 500-600.

DMR as a first voting option would have made sense.

AR skip after veto? Could see that.

100% DMR with AR start only being 2 Flag Classic? Same mistake they made with Social Skirmish when they crammed Team Throwback gametypes into it.

Making a playlist 100% DMR start ALWAYS drops population, just like making a playlist BR start in Halo 3 drop population. The definition of 'hardcore' is that it's not mainstream, and will therefore attract less players.

The rough order of population drop influence still remains:

1) Having any objective gametypes
2) Not allowing guests or bigger-than teamsize parties
3) Requiring DLC
4) Making it 100% DMR/BR start
5) Ranked

Making Social Skirmish a Throwback clone was a poor decision, and repeating the same mistake with Reach's Team Objective was just downright silly. I don't even know why they bother having AR start Objective anymore if they're just going to use it to pander to the hardcore that don't want to play it anyway down the line.

What times do you mean by nightly, because nightly on the West Coast, TO was never close to 900-1500 players. I didn't notice any significant population drop when DMR starts were added. The population has dropped a bit the last couple of months, but that seems to be due to a drop in general Reach population the last couple of months.

As for population drop influence, I would put DLC restrictions as the top, and by a significant margin lol.

Hitmonchan107 said:
The Halo: CE pistol was the main reason I didn't enjoy CE multiplayer. Sometimes I wonder if I would be a Halo fan today were it not for Frankie's Weekly Updates hyping me up for Halo 2.

(Confession: The pistol was fun to shoot in the TU. Maybe it was witnessing bleed-through shields in Reach. I felt like I was cheating. Heh. I can't wait to play Pistols Only on Beaver Creek on custom nights.)

I plan on having an all-night Reach gaming session when we're graced with the TU's holy presence, so hopefully we can get a party going that day.
DOES NOT COMPUTE
tumblr_lliu2zmKsY1qdf6w8o1_r1_400.gif

Tunavi said:
Loadouts ruined halo.
Eh, I'd given a decent shout out to the AR being the "perfect starting weapon".

Steelyuhas said:
What times do you mean by nightly, because nightly on the West Coast, TO was never close to 900-1500 players. I didn't notice any significant population drop when DMR starts were added. The population has dropped a bit the last couple of months, but that seems to be due to a drop in general Reach population the last couple of months.

This, lol. 900-1500 when I played? I wish.

wwm0nkey said:
So Battlefield 3 is getting Anti Aliasing on the 360, really hope Halo 4 is getting FXAA since I know they where investigating that.
I hope so, too. Anniversary isn't using FXAA, from what I've heard.

Steelyuhas said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE
To each their own. I loved Vehicle Wars in CE, though. Everyone gets in a vehicle, and only splatter kills count.

Ken

stephen08 said:
Betrayals, Yoinks, holding the objective, etc. Not only do I admit that, but I relish it. Jerks deserve to be jerked around.

So you would say that Yoinks are unethical.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I hope so, too. Anniversary isn't using FXAA, from what I've heard.

To each their own. I loved Vehicle Wars in CE, though. Everyone gets in a vehicle, and only splatter kills count.

Buttt...butt....but.....the CE Pistol made Halo. It is Halo.

Cue GAF freakout about my opinion :p

As for the AA/FXAA, it will be interesting to see what Halo 4 brings to the table visually considering there are some damn fine looking games this fall.

Tunavi said:
lol...really?

Yeah, seriously can we not do this? If I have to read on GAF everyday how long I have to wait to play Prisoner/Beaver Creek/Headlong, I might lose it.

heckfu

Banned
stephen08 said:
I would say they are part of the game. So are betrayals.

My favorite part about yoinks it that they get punished by booting.

wait.

edit: also, don't do long animations and you won't get your kill 'stolen.' FIXED.

stephen08 said:
I readily betray teammates who deserve it. Betrayals, Yoinks, holding the objective, etc. Not only do I admit that, but I relish it. Jerks deserve to be jerked around.
Can you be a bit more specific? What does it take for you to unleash your "manly" chest beating betrayals?
What kind of jerks are you talking about?

Booties

Banned
I yoinked whatshisface earlier and he tried swording me. It was worth the double kill

The 69 days was a joke, dummies.

XuQH2.png

Can't wait.

stephen08

Devolution said:
Wait stephen betrays people who yoinked him?

Absolutely. Well, only when it's clearly done on purpose. Accidental ones are inevitable.

I had a game of Team Snipers on Highlands where I was carrying this guy who decided to snipe through me to get the Yoink. He had to do it twice and thus betrayed me in the process. Why dont you pull that game up for us? Thanks.

God, I wish 343 would reduce shit like Infection (which has consistently the highest population in Reach) to DEXP Weekend playlists.

We should literally just have:

Arena - Ranked Team slayer
Arena - Ranked Team Doubles

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish*
BTB
Multiteam
Team Snipers
SWAT

Anniversary Playlists

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish

DLC Playlists - Mixture of Slayer and Objective.

DEXP - Grifball, Infection, and Race.

*Skirmish - the new team objective. Objective games mostly, with low weighted Flag Slayer variants, so people can still play Slayer Unlimited. Or something.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. What I do know is that I hate seeing Infection with the highest population. I get it, its sometimes fun, but it's just damaging the overall population.

stephen08 said:
Why dont you pull that game up for us? Thanks.
It's early, so perhaps I'm mis-reading it, this sounds pretty damn rude.

Sikamikanico said:
I don't know, I'm just rambling. What I do know is that I hate seeing Infection with the highest population. I get it, its sometimes fun, but it's just damaging the overall population.
It's giving people the option and they're choosing the type they want.
It may damage the minority, but the majority seem fine/happy with it.

Tunavi

Banned
stephen08 said:
Absolutely. Well, only when it's clearly done on purpose. Accidental ones are inevitable.

I had a game of Team Snipers on Highlands where I was carrying this guy who decided to snipe through me to get the Yoink. He had to do it twice and thus betrayed me in the process. Why dont you pull that game up for us? Thanks.
#firstworldproblems

Sikamikanico said:
God, I wish 343 would reduce shit like Infection (which has consistently the highest population in Reach) to DEXP Weekend playlists.

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish*
BTB
Multiteam
Team Snipers
SWAT

Anniversary Playlists

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish

*Skirmish - the new team objective. Objective games mostly, with low weighted Flag Slayer variants, so people can still play Slayer Unlimited. Or something.

I HATE Living Dead, but you don't just cut the most popular playlist in the game because most of the hardcore players (us) don't like it.

Ken

Sikamikanico said:
I get it, its sometimes fun, but it's just damaging the overall population.

More damaging would be getting Living Dead pros on your team in Squad Slayer games.

stephen08

Zeouterlimits said:
Can you be a bit more specific? What does it take for you to unleash your "manly" chest beating betrayals?
What kind of jerks are you talking about?

Oh you know the kind of guys who cap 2 flags and spend the rest of the game spawn killing the enemy. If one of them is on my team and holding the flag thus preventing others from scoring the last point they get betrayed and have the flag removed from their possession.

stephen08 said:
Oh you know the kind of guys who cap 2 flags and spend the rest of the game spawn killing the enemy. If one of them is on my team and holding the flag thus preventing others from scoring the last point they get betrayed and have the flag removed from their possession.
Ah. Not so bad then. Vigilante.

Sikamikanico said:
I wouldn't say cut...just demoted to DEXP. :p
Heh. Just can't cut it for most of the week because the smaller crowd suffers. People would probably might just play another game then.

Booties

Banned
Sikamikanico said:

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish*
BTB
Multiteam
Team Snipers
SWAT

Anniversary Playlists

Team Slayer
Team Skirmish

You just described Halo 3 MM. Come up with a new idea bozo

Oh hey Devolution I took this screen shot of me you and kyle the other day. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23190241&player=Booties

e; holy shit when did they start this autrocity up? http://www.haloscreenshots.com/reach/23190241/

Booties said:
You just described Halo 3 MM. Come up with a new idea bozo

I don't think emulating Halo 3's MM structure is a bad thing...

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not being elitist, I just think that a playlist that is so niche and is effectively stealing population from every other playlist should be put on a leash.

And Bozo? That's just mean!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ncsuDuncan said:
Halo Reach Weekly #53: C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER - Earn 500 kills with the Assault Rifle in the Team Objective playlist. - 343 cR
Frankie did say Ellis had a good idea today.

stephen08 said:
I'm the goddamn Batman.
I enjoy betraying sometimes, too. There were these douchers on my team talking shit at me earlier, and I spent the rest of the game making sure their shields were popped whenever enemies were around. Felt good.

And all 14 of my Yoinks were accidents. I actually Yoink'd and betrayed someone in a single game last week. They raged so hard, I laughed so hard.

Tunavi said:
lol...really?
Tunavi said:
Haha, such a jackass. <3

Sikamikanico said:

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not being elitist, I just think that a playlist that is so niche and is effectively stealing population from every other playlist should be put on a leash.

How is it niche if its the most popular playlist in the game?

stephen08

Sikamikanico said:

SWAT and Snipers are pretty much the same thing though. In the end, the best solution is to offer players to play what they want. I do feel your pain though. Team Objective is far and away my favorite playlist. If it were up to me that would be the most popular.

A better way to increase player count is to add incentive to the lower population lists. Let's see some challenges relating to objective games, or some more credit jackpot weekends.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Ok 343i and maybe HaloGaf can help out too. What is with sniper passengers in revenant. Lately I have been seeing people dominate with kills from sitting in the passenger seat with a sniper. Getting perfect headshots continuously. What gives?

Is it a glitch, is it skill, is it about less bloom or better accuracy? Tell me HaloGaf!

Also 343i if your listening I think bomb gametypes and flag gametypes need to go back to proper contested timing. So at the end of a game or round if the bomb/flag is still contested the game continues even past the extra 30 seconds. I know the settings in place now are because of teams hiding the bomb/flag and having the round/game stuck on contested. I would rather face that problem then have the anticlimax issue we have now. I used to love planning one last attack on Halo 2 and assemble the team at the spawn area, now we dont have that option.

Remove the banshee bomb and also make the banshee flips and side flips reliant on the boost gauge. Make one flip/side flip take off half your boost gauge. That way you should be only using it when you essentially have to. Too many people spam and if they are laggy they become an unhittable mess.

I dont know how to put this but we need the flow of objective gametypes to be better. In that hardly anyone defends in the bases anymore (bomb/flag hemorrhage) as it is just too uninteresting most of the time.

Also by putting a sniper in as one of the best anti-vehicle weapons when most people that pick up the sniper only care about their own k/d spreads makes things annoying. I usually use the sniper to help take out the wraith if our wraith is down, but most others hide in a corner and care only for their own results.

What im trying to say is we need Halo to go back to it's team based roots. I understand there is a huge community for slayer but you need to try and rebuild what the series used to do really well.

Ken

aDDiKt24 said:
Ok 343i and maybe HaloGaf can help out too. What is with sniper passengers in revenant. Lately I have been seeing people dominate with kills from sitting in the passenger seat with a sniper. Getting perfect headshots continuously. What gives?

Is it a glitch, is it skill, is it about less bloom or better accuracy? Tell me HaloGaf!

I think it's a glitch. Someone else with more knowledge on Revenant snipers can tell you with more certainty.

I went through a bunch of the Reach beta thread just now. Ram, EazyB, and Bobs99 had a ton of good posts. I tried to find some really offensive things that I said, but surprisingly, my posts were pretty constructive without the insults. I guess a lot of my meltdowns weren't until the actual game was released.

I didn't seem to mind grenades during the beta. I was a huge fan of using a jetpack, and I didn't like sprint. It's funny that i use sprint now. Sprint is far more useful for staying alive than the jetpack. Maybe I'm a coward for spending a lot of my time running away from encounters, but with the slow kill times and inadequacies of the precision weapons to get more than 1 or 2 kills at a time, I've totally embraced sprint. Also, after experiencing full teams of jetpack users on maps like enclosed and eden minor, it was enough to change my mind on how much jetpacks actually contribute to enjoyable games.

Having said all this, my biggest gripes still remain:
  • armor lock
  • bloom
  • small magnum clip
  • too many power weapons: spawn too frequently and too powerful in relation to weak precision weapons

Hey, out of curiousity, I spotted Dani's post about the waypoint playlist page:
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/announcements/f/6/t/28220.aspx

Any chance it will be updated to include information about maps and gametypes (and % they pop up) that was very useful over on Bnet as I knew what playlist to play to try out a funky sounding new gametype or map and I knew how likely it was to pop up.

Sorry if im being silly and I missed it, or its already announced that its going to all be put up later.

wwm0nkey said:
The Revenant gives you auto aim, it applies to the DMR as well.

fixed

just aim more or less towards some enemy and you'll get the headshot
It's actually quite fun* to do but clearly gamebreaking

*revenantsniping wars 343, make it happen

stephen08 said:
Halo honor, you have it.

Woorloog

Banned
reggie said:
I'm mad because it feels like 343 aren't even listening.
I'm not... i have no will to be mad anymore. I've dealt with this stuff for so many years i don't care anymore. Yeah, fixing stuff would be nice but that won't happen.

I do wonder why do i keep playing though, single player leaving doesn't cause others to leave nor devs to do anything.

wwm0nkey

reggie said:
Does anyone at 343 even play this game? Seriously play 10 games of big team and if by the end you haven't yet contemplated suicide, well, you must be a god.

The bansee is broken, plain and simple. It doesn't take a genius to work out. If you can't be bothered fixing it then simple remove the fucking thing. It's not hard.

And like aDDiKt24 I've also noticed the recent trend of revenant sniping - this is game breaking. You can roll around, run, jump, it doesn't matter, they will consistently kill you with a headshot. It's impossible to counter. I played one match where the other team spawn killed the enter game using this trick. As soon as you'd spawn you'd already be dead - I'm not even exaggerating.

I'm mad because it feels like 343 aren't even listening, or don't care. It's great there is a TU coming out in the near future, but the game is far from fixed.
Frankie and David seem to play quite often.

Also they JUST got the full rights game dude, give it time.

Betrayal for yoinks? really!

I yoink fairly often its a pretty fun way to grief team-mates in a non aggressive non hampering way if i got betrayed for it and id then feel i have every right to boot me. One of them is a bootable offence for a reason.

It almost as bad as betraying for the power weapon cause your such a child you cant stand someone else holding it.

Booties

Banned
Sikamikanico said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just challenging you to a new idea.

reggie said:
I'm mad because it feels like 343 aren't even listening, or don't care. It's great there is a TU coming out in the near future, but the game is far from fixed.
I'm sure 343 can look at their ginormous amounts of compilled data to notice 89% of 1 Flag CTF on hemorrhage matches ends with no caps on both sides, the entire match turns into someone camping behind the base with camo and sniper while they snipe players who are actually trying to go for the flag.
People vote for that shit? yeah, always.

Also, turn all one sided objective variants into two five minutes rounds.

Steelyuhas said:
Well I guess so, but I'd have a hard time declaring the most popular gametype in a video game a niche.

Considering the majority of players who play it dont have much of a background in halo, id say its still fairly niche, id assume (no evidence) that the infection players are new to the series. The more experienced players tend to lean towards slayer and cft games, alot of these type of players have since left. if you started with halo 2 your usually 20+ and alot of people have jobs ect at this point and have moved on. I think Sikamikanico can vouch for me when i say alot of the players i grew up playing with no longer play.

Other players have moved on to cod or other systems. In the grand scheme id definitely call infection niche.

StalkerUKCG said:
Considering the majority of players who play it dont have much of a background in halo, id say its still fairly niche, id assume (no evidence) that the infection players are new to the series. The more experienced players tend to lean towards slayer and cft games, alot of these type of players have since left. if you started with halo 2 your usually 20+ and alot of people have jobs ect at this point and have moved on. I think Sikamikanico can vouch for me when i say alot of the players i grew up playing with no longer play.

Other players have moved on to cod or other systems. In the grand scheme id definitely call infection niche.
And what does that matter? There's a lot of them, so I wouldn't call it "niche". It's a laggy glitchfest most of the time, but an overwhelming amount of players are playing it.

stephen08

StalkerUKCG said:
Betrayal for yoinks? really!

I yoink fairly often its a pretty fun way to grief team-mates in a non aggressive non hampering way if i got betrayed for it and id then feel i have every right to boot me. One of them is a bootable offence for a reason.

It almost as bad as betraying for the power weapon cause your such a child you cant stand someone else holding it.

The best is when they yoink an assassination I got to save them from a death and so I kill them and it awards the guy who got assassinated the point.

Justifying it as a less detrimental form of griefing isn't a good excuse. A better idea is to not yoink the person at all. Even if the person isn't as vengeful as I am all it does is breed contempt and waste your time to take a confirmed kill.

Betraying for a power weapon is another one I forgot earlier. If you betray me for a weapon I won't stop until one of us is ejected from the game.

As I say, being a jerk to jerks. Speaking of which:

Gabotron ES said:
Halo honor, you have it.

The joke, you're wearing it out.

Top Bottom