• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Dani said:
Thanks!

Yeah I assumed the real actual quote wouldn't be as sensationalist as the doubly translated stuff.

Nothing really new to see here.

Yeah, I found that quote interesting while reading the magazine, but due to the context I didn't bring it up here. The wording is so loose I feel as if there wont be anything more destructible than in past Halo games.

Although, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind destructible environments to a degree, I just dont think that quote says anything too conclusive.

Willeth said:
Here's the quote. It's half-way through a scene by scene breakdown of the announcement trailer, talking about Chief blowing the door open with the launcher pistol.
Still hate that some dude took my copy of my baggage. Damn. I even paid for the magazine!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I just want some maps that have interactive parts, made Zanzibar and High Ground so awesome for objective...
What if in one bomb in Zanzibar the base exploded aftee you armed and was totally changed for the second round. Making it harder to arm in the 2nd round. Actually it would probably end in a tie all the time.

stephen08 said:
Absolutely. Well, only when it's clearly done on purpose. Accidental ones are inevitable.

I had a game of Team Snipers on Highlands where I was carrying this guy who decided to snipe through me to get the Yoink. He had to do it twice and thus betrayed me in the process. Why dont you pull that game up for us? Thanks.
oh lol I can't really help myself but yoink! everytime I can

btw I do betray a lot too. Camp the beach or the big wall with the sniper on hemo (objective gametypes) and I'll betray you. It doesn't matter whether you're on my team or not, you're a dick and deserve the betrayal :)

Woorloog

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Personally, I just liked having a primary weapon that everyone started with, which was a good all around weapon, and then having a second slot for either a power weapon or more situational weapon like the plasma rifle. That worked and worked well. No balance issues. Just straight forward combat with a second slot for personal preference.
What's the point of the personal preferrence weapon if the main weapon is as or even more effective? (Ironically Reach DMR is the first weapon i feel could use a CQB back-up weapon but Reach's CQB weapons being even worse...)
All weapons SHOULD BE effective. Not too situational (not counting shotgun or power weapons in general that are more or less meant to be situational), not limited too much. Only utility weapons manage that in Halos. (Originally it seemed that Reach would finally get rid of this but it ended up working even worse. )

Deputy Moonman said:
The pistol gives a player an immediate weapon with which to enjoy the game from the very beginning. I don't need to jack around picking up different weapons. I have everything at my disposal from thet get-go to play, have fun, defend myself (even against power weapons), and do well.
I agree that we should have useful weapon right from start. The thing is, the Halo CE pistol is tad too effective. Nerf it to 4sk and it's still fucking effective but would make other weapons a bit more useful.
However, since we should have an effective weapon right away, why would you pick a less effective one? This is one reason i think M6D is too effective, it work very well in CQB, making CQB weapons redutant. Nerf it a bit and CQB weapons would be more effective in their role, especially if the situation devolves into head-on combat. Enough? I cannot say for sure but in theory at least.

Deputy Moonman said:
But why do people need to have multiple primary weapons?
Variety. That's what made Halo so great originally. You didn't stick to one thing. Shoot people with AR (until you realise you should use the pistol), pick up a sniper and sniper a couple then take a 'Hog and mow over the rest of them. Now this example involves other than multiple primary weapons but seriosly, is it never boring to do the same stuff over and over again? Mix it up a bit. (Not based in any Halo) BR that fires bursts and has its own quirks but is as effective as the single pistol or a bit shorter range oriented Carbine or longer range oriented Nerfle. And why not throw in an utility weapon that's full auto but works at range if burst fired.
Not necessary of course but if we wanted simplicity, why aren't we stuck with Doom? Or Halo CE in this case. Of course new games are made to make money but try to sell one that just has new campaign and maps and graphics and is identical to its predecessor otherwise.
This is the greatest strenght of CODs i think, only utility and special weapons (and let's not discuss how they managed to fuck up the balanced by a few mistakes like UMP45).

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm not sure if I understand how a map is made, but not designed. It's more likely what you are experiencing is just a dated feel to the original maps. But when CE was in its prime, no one was complaining about the mulitplayer maps. They were awesome and specifically designed for multiplayer.
Yeah, i remember not complaining about exclusive Halo PC maps. Nor most of the vehicle maps. But all the smaller... how i hated them. Back then Halo was completly about the mix of vehicles and intrantry fighting for me. Take one away and it fell into pieces.
And it's easy to make a map without proper desing, purpose. That doesn't mean, of course, it wouldn't work. Great maps have been made accidentally. But i think that's rare occurence, not a rule.

And seriously, i hate how i cannot help but be drawn (or start) this same argument again and again. :/

Homeboyd said:
Hope everything goes ok. Be happy to run some games with you anytime. Good luck dude!

GT: Homeboyd903
FR sent. :)

Ramirez said:
I just want some maps that have interactive parts, made Zanzibar and High Ground so awesome for objective...
Agreed. As much as I love the Halo skyboxes, I'd take interactive maps back if it meant having less going on in the background (both would be ideal). Even the missing bridge for Colossus' one-sided objective is something that's been missed a lot with recent maps. Breakpoint is the only Reach map that comes close, right? I just can't get into Invasion, though...

edit: thanks, Dax and stylzz. :)

squidhands said:
FR sent. :)

Agreed. As much as I love the Halo skyboxes, I'd take interactive maps back if it meant having less going on in the background (both would be ideal). Even the missing bridge for Colossus' one-sided objective is something that's been missed a lot with recent maps. Breakpoint is the only Reach map that comes close, right? I just can't get into Invasion, though...

edit: thanks, Dax. :)
I hope that the surgery will turn out fine without any big complication.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
squidhands said:
Agreed. As much as I love the Halo skyboxes, I'd take interactive maps back if it meant having less going on in the background (both would be ideal).

I've seen folks bring this up before. Skyboxes have never influenced map design. There's no record of Bungie/343/CA ever changing any map element to put something pretty in the skybox.

Shiity maps can look pretty and great maps can look shit.

And yeah, it'd love to see more interactive elements on maps as seen in previous Halo games. It'd be great to see some new maps do this instead of seeing campaign spaces being re-used and older maps remade. trollface.jpg

And good luck Squid.

i nerini del buio said:

btw I do betray a lot too. Camp the beach or the big wall with the sniper on hemo (objective gametypes) and I'll betray you. It doesn't matter whether you're on my team or not, you're a dick and deserve the betrayal :)

WTF!? I really hope you guys are trolling now. You're actually betraying teammates for providing sniper cover for your team from the most ideal sniping spots on the map? Give me a ****ing break.

t4xyzk.jpg

xxxstylzxxx said:
WTF!? I really hope you guys are trolling now. You're actually betraying teammates for providing sniper cover for your team from the most ideal sniping spots on the map? Give me a ****ing break.

t4xyzk.jpg

I know I'm really pushing it, but someone has to do something about it. You want to play slayer? Go play fucking slayer, please. Camp (or invisicamp which is even worse) with the sniper in the most absurd places on that map and I'm going to be a dick until you get the fuck out of there.
You're ruining the match for everyone and if Bungie (or 343) doesn't do something about it, well I go the vigilante way.
Neutral bomb is not infinite slayer. It's neutral bomb, christ!

Woorloog

Banned
i nerini del buio said:
Indeed, however, i think the issue are not players but bad reward desing. And players like to be rewarded.

This is how the system works:
1. Winners are not rewarded or if they're it's neiglible.
2. Performance, IE KD, time spent playing are the biggest sources of money

This is how the system should work:
1. Only winners should be rewarded (EDIT or at least their reward should be way bigger than the losers.)
2. The faster the game ends, the bigger the reward should be (well, in a sense. If you get 1000 cr for playing 5 minutes or 1200 for playing 10 minutes...)

Major Williams said:
Do betrayals count against your K:D ratio?

Either way - if you kill or are killed.
If you get betrayed, it counts as a death. If you betray someone, it will subtract one kill for the betrayel IN the game, but the kill still counts to the K:D.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
i nerini del buio said:
I know I'm really pushing it, but someone has to do something about it. You want to play slayer? Go play fucking slayer, please. Camp (or invisicamp which is even worse) with the sniper in the most absurd places on that map and I'm going to be a dick until you get the fuck out of there.
You're ruining the match for everyone and if Bungie (or 343) doesn't do something about it, well I go the vigilante way.

Being an ass because someone else is being an ass just means there's more fecal matter being scattered around.

You're part of the problem.

Dani said:
I've seen folks bring this up before. Skyboxes have never influenced map design. There's no record of Bungie/343/CA ever changing any map element to put something pretty in the skybox.

Shiity maps can look pretty and great maps can look shit.

And yeah, it'd love to see more interactive elements on maps as seen in previous Halo games. It'd be great to see some new maps do this instead of seeing campaign spaces being re-used and older maps remade. trollface.jpg

And good luck Squid.
This, please. I really hope that 343 doesn't go the Reach route and re-use campaign spaces for multiplayer in any form. That got old really quickly. If anything, I'd be fine with themes being re-used, ala Halo 2's Sanctuary and Midship.

stephen08 said:
SWAT and Snipers are pretty much the same thing though.
um, no, they really aren't. At all. Have you even played either?

i nerini del buio said:
i nerini del buio said:
Sniping from the best place to snipe from? Heaven forbid! If you're running around Hemo with a sniper rifle you're doing it wrong.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Wow. I hope I never have to play with you.

One betrayal, and you spend the REST OF THE GAME griefing the guy? (Well, according to others who were in it with you, I guess.)

And just the fact that you put Yoinks on that list at all... but what got me about that second quote was the "I was carrying this guy" bit. Just a BIT full of yourself, aren't you? (If you were really carrying him, why doesn't it occur to you that he might be bad enough to think he can snipe the guy you're assassinating more easily than someone else - someone who would be MOVING because they're not being held in place by your knife?)

Retaliation betrayals are stupid, and the fact that you're proud of them makes me sad.

Yeah. I hope we're never in a game together. You sound like a real jerk. :(

Wow. A FUCKING jerk.

So you go in for an assassination on someone who's about to kill a teammate (which means the teammate's probably been FIGHTING the guy), he takes the opportunity to finish the kill, and you BETRAY him for it?

I've shaken my head at some of the stuff juices does (often just to get a rise out of folks here, I think)... but I've never felt myself getting ANGRY about it. This - this makes me angry.

Quite some time ago.

You sum up my thoughts perfectly. To me he just sounds like a dick. Plan and simple.

Dani said:
Being an ass because someone else is being an ass just means there's more fecal matter being scattered around.

Yup. Haven't you heard two wrongs don't make a right?

Dani said:

I know, but it's not like I spend the whole match betraying. I just want my teammates to play without exploiting bad game design :/ Don't be a dick and I'll be the nicest person on xbl, really.
And believe me, it works. They get out of their fucking hole and start playing decently.
Seeing people camping in the most silly places just to get their k/d up, while the bomb is still in the middle of the map mid match, irks me so much I can't even explain it.

thezerofire said:
Sniping from the best place to snipe from? Heaven forbid! If you're running around Hemo with a sniper rifle you're doing it wrong.

yeah so let's all camp the outer part of the map and let every match end 0 - 0

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Willeth said:
Here's the quote. It's half-way through a scene by scene breakdown of the announcement trailer, talking about Chief blowing the door open with the launcher pistol.
Thank god. I think destructible environments are way overrated. They often result in sloppy, unbalanced maps. Do no want. I'm okay with dynamic environments that can be manipulated in some way, but total structure destruction would be terrible.

i nerini del buio said:
I kind of see what you mean... But what if they're just providing sniper cover for you team? That's a good thing.

Woorloog

Banned
i nerini del buio said:
A good sniper providing kill support is great. The whole team doing it is not...
And i said, the issue is that the reward system is fucked up.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
This, please. I really hope that 343 doesn't go the Reach route and re-use campaign spaces for multiplayer in any form. That got old really quickly. If anything, I'd be fine with themes being re-used, ala Halo 2's Sanctuary and Midship.

The only campaign space re-used for multiplayer in Reach was Boneyard. Rest of the maps were multiplayer first and then inserted into the campaign.

From what I remember, Boneyard was used because they had to scrub another map intended for BTB because it's location disappeared.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
i nerini del buio said:
I know, but it's not like I spend the whole match betraying. I just want my teammates to play without exploiting bad game design :/ Don't be a dick and I'll be the nicest person on xbl, really.
And believe me, it works. They get out of their fucking hole and start playing decently.
Seeing people camping in the most silly places just to get their k/d up, while the bomb is still in the middle of the map mid match, irks me so much I can't even explain it.

I know the feeling. Useless teammates are always going to be useless. Betraying them won't solve the issue however. It's not a problem unique to Halo though nor will it go away any time soon. Best play with a full party - usually solves these kinds of issues.

Louis Wu

i nerini del buio said:
I'm not sure I understand - you don't believe there's a place for support slaying in objective games?

Do you also betray people who camp the bases (instead of trying to score that bomb)?

I guess what I'm asking is... what are acceptable activities, in your opinion, in an objective game? (Phrased another way: most games have a single objective item - bomb, flag, hill, whatever. Once someone on your team is carrying it... what do you consider acceptable activities for the other 3-7 team members? Obviously not sniping on Hemo... but how about general slaying? Are you okay with spawn-trapping? Should they all form a protective wall and run towards the enemy base?)

I don't understand some of you people. :(

Oh come on stop it, I can tell the difference between someone providing cover (what I do when I'm holding the sniper) and someone ignoring the goal of the match just to play infinite slayer behind bushes/rocks/whatever.

Louis Wu said:
I'm not sure I understand - you don't believe there's a place for support slaying in objective games?
I'm not talking about that.
Do you also betray people who camp the bases (instead of trying to score that bomb)?
nope. they're not hurting anyone, usually.
I guess what I'm asking is... what are acceptable activities, in your opinion, in an objective game? (Phrased another way: most games have a single objective item - bomb, flag, hill, whatever. Once someone on your team is carrying it... what do you consider acceptable activities for the other 3-7 team members? Obviously not sniping on Hemo... but how about general slaying? Are you okay with spawn-trapping? Should they all form a protective wall and run towards the enemy base?)
All I ask for is team play and fair play overall. Hopping into BTB just to boost your k/d exploiting bad game design (camping the beach or the wall renders hemo completely broken, you all know it. There's nothing you can do against someone camping on the other side of the map with that silly auto-aimed sniper) is something I do not accept from my teammates.
I don't understand some of you people. :(
I'm not saying I'm completely right. Indeed I don't care about being right, I just think what I'm doing is the best for the match.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
The only campaign space re-used for multiplayer in Reach was Boneyard. Rest of the maps were multiplayer first and then inserted into the campaign.

From what I remember, Boneyard was used because they had to scrub another map intended for BTB because it's location disappeared.

Spire is just the perfect multiplayer space. Every thing on the map was made specifically for multiplayer and not a single square foot of the map is under-utilised.

Never mind every shipping FF map.

Risen

i nerini del buio said:
Oh come on stop it, I can tell the difference between someone providing cover (what I do when I'm holding the sniper) and someone ignoring the goal of the match just to play infinite slayer behind bushes/rocks/whatever.

Why is his way of playing the game less important than yours?

Crucio

In objective types the sniper should be a in a position relative to the current round. He should be in an offensive position (in offensive rounds) to enable the team to move forward and to cover them.

If the sniper stays behind the base and waits for kills, his team will have a horrible time trying to get stuff done.

FyreWulff

Dani said:
Spire is just the perfect multiplayer space. Every thing on the map was made specifically for multiplayer and not a single square foot of the map is under-utilised.

Yeah, Bungie is just lying to cover up the conspiracy.

They've never made a map with pointless combat spaces. They wouldn't be able to keep the design docs under Containment. This whole discussion is just turning into a big Sandtrap, and if we keep going for much longer you're going to see a lot of Waterworks. It's such a Relic of a conversation, maybe we just keep using it as a Last Resort when we run out of other things to say.

They never said anything about Firefight, and I'm assuming those were cut out of their favorite campaign spaces just like they were in ODST.

Dani said:

Truth.

Also i nerini del buio, your team is still in need of sniper cover in order to complete the objective. I'd rather have that so called "jerk" hang back and pick people off so we can actually, you know, plant the bomb and maybe win the game than pushing up too far like an idiot and risk losing the sniper. The fact that this is even being debated is just absurd.

So if the guy in the wraith starts to rack up some easy kills should we classify him/her as a jerk as well? Where does it begin and end here?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FyreWulff said:

They've never made a map with pointless combat spaces. They wouldn't be able to keep the design docs under Containment. This whole discussion is just turning into a big Sandtrap, and if we keep going for much longer you're going to see a lot of Waterworks. It's such a Relic of a conversation, maybe we just keep using it as a Last Resort when we run out of other things to say.

They never said anything about Firefight, and I'm assuming those were cut out of their favorite campaign spaces just like they were in ODST.
:lol

I was about to get defensive, but then I Saw What You Did There.

Risen said:
Why is his way of playing the game less important than yours?

I do what I do in the interest of everyone, really. If I was only interested in winning-no-matter-what or getting as many kills as possible, I wouldn't btray stupid teammates.

i nerini del buio said:
It's really easy to snipe the kids on that wall if you're a decent sniper. And everyone always goes there, so it's really a no-brainer to go somewhere they're not expecting and rip them a new one.

Crucio said:
In objective types the sniper should be a in a position relative to the current round. He should be in an offensive position (in offensive rounds) to enable the team to move forward and to cover them.

If the sniper stays behind the base and waits for kills, his team will have a horrible time trying to get stuff done.
The problem on Hemo is that that wall is the best place, you can see the whole other team's spawns pretty much.

also Wu nailed it.

feel

Hey Squid best of luck!!

Most of the times I don't mind getting betrayed for a power weapon, making that person's rest of the match completely miserable (until the inevitable complete meltdown and booting) is very entertaining to me.

And I didn't even know about the Revenant's passenger autoaim... ugh Reach is such a piece of shit.

Louis Wu said:
Awesome. I'll start playing with these pretty soon. :) (I've got these, and the rage-quit medal - am I missing any?)

EDIT: Found the RageQuitter medal - needs a real name and a description. :)

I'll come up with some names and descriptions on the bus today for more medals. I might edit the ragequitter one (just the background probably) to make it more consistent with the other three. I also have that flag warrior one which also needs an edit. I'll post up stuff and pm you, so if it gets buried you don't have to worry about it. =)

Booties said:
Oh hey Devolution I took this screen shot of me you and kyle the other day. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23190241&player=Booties[/url]

lol awesome.

I had a write up about the hilarious hypocritical bullshit from people who abhor objective holding but have no qualms about admitting betraying for nothing but I'll post this instead:

ShockedToFindGambling.JPG[

Good luck to squid =o.

Edit: It's pretty bullshit though the combo of invis and sniper. Ridiculous. How can I snipe the other sniper if he's pulling that shit.

i nerini del buio said:

gtfo7ezi.gif

Dani said:

Dani said it best. The game's full of shitholes already, no need to add to them.

Risen

i nerini del buio said:
I do what I do in the interest of everyone, really. If I was only interested in winning-no-matter-what or getting as many kills as possible, I wouldn't btray stupid teammates.

lol You mean you do what you do in the interest of yourself and those who think like you at the expense of anyone else who doesn't do it your way... right? Because that's what you explained above...

Betraying a stat whore because he's a stat whore may just be betraying a guy who doesn't know any better, or knows his limitations - it doesn't matter in any case. You are simply betraying someone because they aren't doing what you think they should do.

Cool guy...

At least the one in the back of hemo is being offensive with his sniping. I'd get pretty mad at the asses on Valhalla who'd keep it solely at base. How do we push when someone does that?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:

KuGsj.gif

I refuse to believe Spire was designed as it is to be a traditional multiplayer map first and foremost. As a campaign space, like Boneyard, it at least has an excuse for it's disgracefully under utilised play areas.

Risen said:
Betraying a stat whore because he's a stat whore may just be betraying a guy who doesn't know any better, or knows his limitations - it doesn't matter in any case. You are simply betraying someone because they aren't doing what you think is the best for everyone, teammates and enemies.

:p

Was OMA-toobing acceptable on MW2? For me, no.
Maybe I'm just zealous and dumb. Whatever.

stephen08

A27 Tawpgun said:
But yeah, I've killed people for holding flags before... But betraying for yoinks? Are you fucking kidding me?

Nope. Like I say though it clearly has to be on purpose.

Louis Wu said:
Wow. I hope I never have to play with you.

One betrayal, and you spend the REST OF THE GAME griefing the guy? (Well, according to others who were in it with you, I guess.)

It depends on the situation, and as said before it's only when it is clearly done on purpose.

And just the fact that you put Yoinks on that list at all... but what got me about that second quote was the "I was carrying this guy" bit. Just a BIT full of yourself, aren't you? (If you were really carrying him, why doesn't it occur to you that he might be bad enough to think he can snipe the guy you're assassinating more easily than someone else - someone who would be MOVING because they're not being held in place by your knife?)

I'm not a member of the douchy BKCleansing crew. I don't throw words like that around very often. In this case though the description is apt.

So you go in for an assassination on someone who's about to kill a teammate (which means the teammate's probably been FIGHTING the guy), he takes the opportunity to finish the kill, and you BETRAY him for it?

If it wasn't for me the dude would be dead and I would be mopping the guy up anyway. If he doesn't appreciate it enough to let me get credit for the kill then I will gladly let him have his kill and death in that situation (by killing him myself you see).

I've shaken my head at some of the stuff juices does (often just to get a rise out of folks here, I think)... but I've never felt myself getting ANGRY about it. This - this makes me angry.
Well you should take a step back and look at it objectively then.
As I said before, only to people that really deserve it. If you find me retaliating against jerklike behaviors worse than holding the objective to farm kills on lesser skilled players well I would have to say we either have vastly different opinions or you are playing favorites.

thezerofire said:
um, no, they really aren't. At all. Have you even played either?

Yes. Many times. They are just as niche as Living Dead is. There is no good reason you can give me for SWAT and Snipers to stay but Living Dead to get cut.

FyreWulff said:

True, but the point is that re-using the same assets for campaign and multiplayer is a poor choice for a long-time investment into a game. For a game with a quick turnaround like ODST it was acceptable, but I never want to see that again in a regular development cycle for a game.

Top Bottom