• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Louis Wu

Hydranockz said:
That's exactly the situation he was talking about. It's only in that <10% he stated where it is on purpose.
My point is that you can't actually be sure it's on purpose. I've been booted for betrayals that were 100% accidental, because people jump to conclusions. And I'd bet good money he's doing exactly that.

He admits to turning around and betraying someone he was trying to save with the assassination after he got yoinked - to me, that's pretty douchey behavior. Unjustified, unjustifiable douchey behavior. The fact that he did it - whatever. He's a douche. I see them every day in multiplayer, and I move on, none the worse for wear. The fact that he'd CROW about it (after spending the first few weeks of his time here being holier-than-thou about all sorts of in-game behavior) - that's what made me put him on ignore.

It's rather stupid to put someone on ignore if I'm just going to argue about him afterwards, so I guess I should stop responding to these posts, too. :(

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
Triple double: 10 kills, 10 assists, plus 10 k/d spread.

This was more common in Halo 3 because of assists.
They have a Triple Double medal, and instead of spread, it's headshots.

stephen08

Devolution said:
What about instances in which the person has shot them to death and you just run up and assassinate them, effectively stealing their kill, and they yoink and take it back? The difference between your bullshit and holding, is you're going out of your way to team kill, I don't recall team killing ever really being a part of a game's intended mechanics. You can argue all day about objective holding, if people in the group don't want to do it, I respect that, if they do, I indulge them. The other team gets killed, but we're still working within the game's intended structure (red kills blue and vice versa). I don't recall ever being penalized on spawn for killing opponents.

People point out where you and others are doing naughty things precisely because you got up on a high horse about something unethical, when you do something quite unethical yourself. He who casts the first stone and all that nonsense. Most of the objective holders have something you don't, time spent here, they're like the seniors who haze the freshmen. Not everyone is a fan but we respect the time they've put in here. You on the other hand come in guns a blazing, gettin' up on a soapbox and when people find out you're a hypocrite to boot, you expect the same respect others have earned?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Fuck I can't even take this shit seriously.

That's a pretty colored viewpoint considering there exist options to remove friendly fire within the games UI. It's a design choice to allow it to happen. How you can justify holding the objective as being okay but betrayals as not shows how deluded you are. There's no point in trying to reason with someone like you.

I freely admit that it's unsportsmanlike conduct on my part but I am doing it to people who I perceive to be big enough jerks to deserve it. Not to just grief people/pad my stats like you and you ilk with holding the objective. I have the morally superior ground here, maybe my methods are less scrupulous but it's not like I am griefing people who are undeserving like some of you.

There's nothing hypocritical about what I am doing. From the beginning it's an anti jerk policy, what would be hypocritical is if I denounced you guys for holding the objective and then went and did it myself. But to prove I am no hypocrite I absolutely welcome you to start griefing jerks using my methods.

And as for this whole seniority BS I don't subscribe to that philosophy at all. You should get respect from your posts and actions, not a registration date.

GhaleonEB

Noisy Thief: Steal the opponent's flag 5 times without ever capping it. (team medal)

Short Fuse: Detonate a bomb in the first 30 seconds of an Assault game. (team medal)

The Wanderer: Accumulate 30 seconds or more of consecutive flag carry time, only to have the flag returned.

Principled Loser: Complete a game after everyone on your team quits.

Good Sport: Decline an opportunity to boot a player.

stephen08 said:
That's a pretty colored viewpoint considering there exist options to remove friendly fire within the games UI. It's a design choice to allow it to happen. How you can justify holding the objective as being okay but betrayals as not shows how deluded you are. There's no point in trying to reason with someone like you.

I freely admit that it's unsportsmanlike conduct on my part but I am doing it to people who I perceive to be big enough jerks to deserve it. Not to just grief people/pad my stats like you and you ilk with holding the objective. I have the morally superior ground here, maybe my methods are less scrupulous but it's not like I am griefing people who are undeserving like some of you.

There's nothing hypocritical about what I am doing. From the beginning it's an anti jerk policy, what would be hypocritical is if I denounced you guys for holding the objective and then went and did it myself. But to prove I am no hypocrite I absolutely welcome you to start griefing jerks using my methods.

And as for this whole seniority BS I don't subscribe to that philosophy at all. You should get respect from your posts and actions, not a registration date.

I didn't justify it as okay, if you could read worth a shit I called it unethical. Lol at you. My point was you're doing something you can get penalized/booted for in game at people who don't deserve it, trying to preach at others. Laugh-o. The jerk to me is the person going into the assassination animation since it wastes time, then whining when someone yoinks, doubly stupid.

GhaleonEB said:
Noisy Thief: Steal the opponent's flag 5 times without ever capping it. (team medal)

Short Fuse: Detonate a bomb in the first 30 seconds of an Assault game. (team medal)

The Wanderer: Accumulate 30 seconds or more of consecutive flag carry time, only to have the flag returned.

Principled Loser: Complete a game after everyone on your team quits.

Good Sport: Decline an opportunity to boot a player.
I'd be swimming in Noisy Thief medals before too long.

Risen

stephen08 said:
Ok so then what? Just pointing out the fact the 2 situations are different in that the flag is in different locations? Because that's really the crux of the point right?

Obvious troll was being obvious - and was good natured ribbing... particularly given the use of the word conflating which is a favorite of one of your buddies. There was no attempt to justify actions, nor was there unequal condemnation of your actions as set forth in one of your previous posts.

The "crux of the the point" is heart and intention... rather than net effect. Just as in the conversation on yoinks or betrayals... either could be being a dick, or not - depending on the heart. The net effect can be the same; someone is betrayed, or yoinked, but the heart behind it is entirely different.

Personally, and this is my opinion only, the heart and intention is more important than the perception of the net effect... that's just me... and that's not a justification, just the way I see it.

neoism

i nerini del buio said:
I know I'm really pushing it, but someone has to do something about it. You want to play slayer? Go play fucking slayer, please. Camp (or invisicamp which is even worse) with the sniper in the most absurd places on that map and I'm going to be a dick until you get the fuck out of there.
You're ruining the match for everyone and if Bungie (or 343) doesn't do something about it, well I go the vigilante way.
Neutral bomb is not infinite slayer. It's neutral bomb, christ!
it must be fun being booted lol. I go for sniper on Hemo all the time. Slayer or objective. I use sprint though. I don't see how its ruining the match for someone else if I'm not trying to betray may teammates. smh I really hope I never play with you.

stephen08 said:

And so far your actions have been bitching at people for unethical behavior, and then proclaiming your own unethical behavior.

feel

People assassinating need to die if their player model gets punched in the back, without it mattering where their camera is pointed at.

ILOL'D: Boot a power weapon seeking betrayer 2 minutes after the betrayal in a match about to end where he's in K/D double digits and winning.

I hope there's something meaty in the bulletin that leads to good discussion, place has been going downhill since halofest ended.

Louis Wu said:
My point is that you can't actually be sure it's on purpose. I've been booted for betrayals that were 100% accidental, because people jump to conclusions. And I'd bet good money he's doing exactly that.

He admits to turning around and betraying someone he was trying to save with the assassination after he got yoinked - to me, that's pretty douchey behavior. Unjustified, unjustifiable douchey behavior. The fact that he did it - whatever. He's a douche. I see them every day in multiplayer, and I move on, none the worse for wear. The fact that he'd CROW about it (after spending the first few weeks of his time here being holier-than-thou about all sorts of in-game behavior) - that's what made me put him on ignore.

It's rather stupid to put someone on ignore if I'm just going to argue about him afterwards, so I guess I should stop responding to these posts, too. :(
I guess I see. I don't think any in-game behaviour should carry such measures as not ever seeing their posts here. It's a game no matter what way you look at it. I don't agree with what many people here do in Reach but I'd never ignore them because of it.

Ever since Ram shone the light that was to not take things as seriously, it's worked. Griefers will forever grief and betrayers will betray but Gaf is above that... or so I would have thought.

More general thought: People here treat juniors terribly for voicing their values. So what if they seem like double standards. Aren't most of Gaf guilty of the same thing? All this respect nonsense is a joke when if you are civil to everybody, nobody loses.

Pro-Pipe Spree: Get five kills with the pro-pipe without dying.
Sewage Treatment: Get ten kills with the pro-pipe without dying.
Pied Piper: Get fifteen kills with the pro-pipe without dying.

Hydranockz said:
I guess I see. I don't think any in-game behaviour should carry such measures as not ever seeing their posts here. It's a game no matter what way you look at it. I don't agree with what many people here do in Reach but I'd never ignore them because of it.

Ever since Ram shone the light that was to not take things as seriously, it's worked. Griefers will forever grief and betrayers will betray but Gaf is above that... or so I would have thought.

More general thought: People here treat juniors terribly for voicing their values. So what if they seem like double standards. Aren't most of Gaf guilty of the same thing? All this respect nonsense is a joke when if you are civil to everybody, nobody loses.

I don't recall any of us really giving a shit what stephen et al. do in their games up until they gave a shit what we do in ours. Wanna sit here and preach at how people play their games, you open yourself up to criticism about how you play yours. Rocks. Glass houses.

GhaleonEB said:
Premature: Knock a player out of Armor Lock, resulting in their death.
hmm, having a difficult time visualizing that medal in PG terms, lol

Knives Out: Get 5 assassinations without dying (anyone who gets the reference wins)
Backstabber: Get 10 assassinations without dying*
"Where are you?!": Get 15 assassinations without dying.

* - I thought about using that for betrayals, but after today's conversations, there's really no need to encourage that shit.

Devolution said:
I don't recall any of us really giving a shit what stephen et al. do in their games up until they gave a shit what we do in ours. Wanna sit here and preach at how people play their games, you open yourself up to criticism about how you play yours. Rocks. Glass houses.
Oh wait nvm, I thought you were saying you don't remember giving him shit for it.

He has always discussed matters in a civil, honest tone. The same simply cannot be said for you.

Hydranockz said:
That's the truth alright. Handy, isn't it?

You want to prove this for me? Or are you just going to ride my ass and troll me like you do every time I argue with someone in here?

Yeah welcome to my ignore list hydra. Since you refuse to even read my posts properly, just looking for a reason to argue with me that isn't even there. Fuck off.

Devolution said:
You want to prove this for me? Or are you just going to ride my ass and troll me like you do every time I argue with someone in here?
I edited.

It seems it was just in time for you to prove my point exactly.

stephen08

Devolution said:
I didn't justify it as okay, if you could read worth a shit I called it unethical. Lol at you. My point was you're doing something you can get penalized/booted for in game at people who don't deserve it, trying to preach at others. Laugh-o. The jerk to me is the person going into the assassination animation since it wastes time, then whining when someone yoinks, doubly stupid.

It's not hypocrisy as I explained earlier if you could read worth a shit. Laugh-o. This isn't preaching as I didn't even bring this up. omg.kittens posted about how I betrayed some dude repeatedly and then you linked the game so I justified my actions.

Why do I even bother? Like I said before, you are very deluded.

Risen said:
Personally, and this is my opinion only, the heart and intention is more important than the perception of the net effect... that's just me... and that's not a justification, just the way I see it.

I absolutely agree. That's why I am very sure before I label someone a jerk and take action.

thezerofire said:
And so far your actions have been bitching at people for unethical behavior, and then proclaiming your own unethical behavior.

So far yours have been hanging on my nuts waiting to jump on me for something I say, fucking up, and getting mad when I expose your error. The trend continues. I am not proclaiming my behavior, I started off justifying a game someone else brought up and have gone back and forth with people challenging my point of view. That's not proclaiming.

stephen08 said:
It's not hypocrisy as I explained earlier if you could read worth a shit. Laugh-o. This isn't preaching as I didn't even bring this up. omg.kittens posted about how I betrayed some dude repeatedly and then you linked the game so I justified my actions

It's complete hypocrisy, even Wu called you out. You can keep telling us a spade isn't a spade. We know different. Who are you honestly trying to convince? Yourself?

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
I've gotten a couple evade that!(s) =p. It's really funny to see their body fly. I would call that medal Ridiculous Patience or something.

Wu is normally so chill. DAYUM. This batch of posters mang, lulz to the max.

He is too. I can't blame him at all on this though. I really can't.

stephen08 said:
So far yours have been hanging on my nuts waiting to jump on me for something I say, fucking up, and getting mad when I expose your error. The trend continues. I am not proclaiming my behavior, I started off justifying a game someone else brought up and have gone back and forth with people challenging my point of view. That's not proclaiming.
lol said the person who keeps track of the number of times a person misinterprets ambiguous statements. and you're talking about me being on your nuts?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
squidhands said:
good lord, kids...Frankie; David: can I get a fucking Halo update in here?!

Just had a conversation at the studio regarding the TU release date. Does that meet your needs?

thezerofire said:
lol said the person who keeps track of the number of times a person misinterprets ambiguous statements. and you're talking about me being on your nuts?

Yeah it's not like certain posters instigate these arguments either. No, clearly we pick on all of the juniors. There aren't a couple that literally shit up the thread or talk out of their ass.

lybertyboy said:
Just had a conversation at the studio regarding the TU release date. Does that meet your needs?

Oh snap. Lurkin' in the shadows.

stephen08

Devolution said:
It's complete hypocrisy, even Wu called you out. You can keep telling us a spade isn't a spade. We know different. Who are you honestly trying to convince? Yourself?
I guess if you consider being a jerk to jerks hypocrisy then yeah, I am a hypocrite.

Forgiveness is a nice idea, but it doesn't make jerks rethink their behavior.

Wu didn't even interpret what I wrote correctly. He jumped to conclusions and ignored me.

Now I'm posting my medals idea:

Hyper is pleased - Get no kills with grenades
Faking Grenadez! - Get killed most by grenades
Hyper is angry - Get the most kills with grenades
That's a HAX! - Stick someone with a Frag grenade
I like my german sausage well done. - Betray the same guy three times in a game

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
He is too. I can't blame him at all on this though. I really can't.
It says much of Wu's personality that it takes someone being an admitted jerk to other players to get them put on ignore. Wu's a class act in person and when he plays.

I'm genrally a nice guy, but every now and then I snap and do something douchey, usually when I'm provoked. But I'll call it such rather than try and rationalize it.

The only time I've seen a betrayal be justified was a few weeks ago, when on a Highlands CTF game, we were tied 0-0 and got the flag back to our base with less than 30 seconds left. Someone on our team then killed the flag carrier and started carrying the flag away from the cap point. We murdered that guy so fast it was amazing (I got the betrayal). We capped it with just a couple seconds left.

I'm sure there are situations like that were a player was trying to thrwat the outcome where it's justified. But killing the sniper on your team for sniping? I don't get it.

lybertyboy said:
I'd take a conversation about your lunch at this point. Someone save us. :lol

(I had a sadly undercooked pizza. Bummer.)

Risen

lybertyboy said:

It would if that conversation was posted here in detail including what you were wearing when said discussion took place and actual date/dates discussed.

stephen08 said:
I guess if you consider being a jerk to jerks hypocrisy then yeah, I am a hypocrite.

Forgiveness is a nice idea, but it doesn't make jerks rethink their behavior.

Wu didn't even interpret what I wrote correctly. He jumped to conclusions and ignored me.
So I guess you would think us being jerks to you is ok then?

Devolution said:
She can ignore me all she wants but it's this attitude that runs against everything I believe. People can misinterpret just as I believe Wu had done. Wu's opinion shouldn't carry any more weighting over anyone else's here especially the opinion of the dude trying to explain himself. Wu was just voicing how he interpreted the actions. This isn't a hivemind mentality. HaloGaf is scarily diverse. It's good, not bad. I welcome the different opinions. Striving to see what people love about Halo and discovering someone new who likes something in Halo that is so different to everyone else is fascinating and should be welcomed here. Instead we get posters who insult, condescend and berate these posters. It's unfortunate and shit happens.

I treat every post as my first. If people know me, fine. For the most part, people don't know me. HaloGaf is an amazing place when things are good. Why can't we all just get along?

feel

lybertyboy said:
Not mine. I was already pretty sure you have lots of conversations at work. :lol

Will you be telling us the date shortly and do we get the gametypes as soon as the TU hits?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
COMBO BREAKER! Sparkast this month, right? You will try to get a Sparkast spree?

We are planning on putting together Halo Fest wrap-up episode this month with some behind-the-scenes stories about the event. Before that I'm going to upload all of the panels as separate podcast files to the Sparkast feed.

GhaleonEB said:
It says much of Wu's personality that it takes someone being an admitted jerk to other players to get them put on ignore. Wu's a class act in person and when he plays.

I'm genrally a nice guy, but every now and then I snap and do something douchey. But I'll call it such rather than try and rationalize it.

The only time I've seen a betrayal be justtified was a few weeks ago, when on a Highlands CTF game, we were tied 0-0 and got the flag back to our base with less than 30 seconds left. Someone on our team then killed the flag carrier and started carrying the flag away from the cap point. We murdered that guy so fast it was amazing (I got the betrayal). We capped it with just a couple seconds left.

I'm sure there are situations like that were a player was trying to thrwat the outcome where it's justified. But killing the sniper on your team for sniping? I don't get it.

It's funny since when we were talking about objective holding I totally admitted to it being a douche move. It is douchey, but so is betraying people who yoink, even if they yoink on purpose. I was never one to claim objective holding is not unethical. I just find it quite hypocritical that someone who admits to betraying people for yoinks of all things, jumped on others for objective holding. If you're gonna call me out for playing like a jackass, be Wu not someone with double standards.

Risen said:
It would if that conversation was posted here in detail including what you were wearing when said discussion took place and actual date/dates discussed.
Not much is going to top the image in my head now, lol.

thezerofire said:
So I guess you would think us being jerks to you is ok then?
Maybe he'll rethink his behavior, amirite?

lybertyboy said:
I quoted this post hoping that you had hidden the aforementioned release date therein. I am disappoint.

PsychoRaven said:
Jesus Christ what has the thread become?
Seriously, this entire discussion of Halo ethics is so fucking retarded. Play with the people you want to play with and avoid the people you don't want to. Like we've already been doing this entire time. No one is going to convince anyone. STFU and move on already.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Jesus Christ what has the thread become?
It's our time of the month. This too shall pass. (I considered other imagery there but decided against it.)

Only a playlist update to argue about can save us now.

Ramirez

lol, you all shouldn't let Stephen string you along like this. He's been exposed as a fraud Halo white knight, just leave it at that. At least Noobs has tried to get into the discussion, Stephen makes no attempt to become a part of the community, just ignore him...

On a lighter note...here's my prints I picked up, hopefully the picks don't come out huge.

smokingindoors.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

I think my son was more excited about the arrival than myself...

elijH.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Ramirez said:
lol, you all shouldn't let Stephen string you along like this. He's been exposed as a fraud Halo white knight, just leave it at that. At least Noobs has tried to get into the discussion, Stephen makes no attempt to become a part of the community, just ignore him...

On a lighter note...here's my prints I picked up, hopefully the picks don't come out huge.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/smokingindoors.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/IMG_1979.jpg[IMG]

I think my son was more excited about the arrival than myself...

[IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/elijH.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Holy crap those kick ass. And where did you get these?

Top Bottom