• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Karl2177

"Just because you can do something doesn't make it ethical.

I'm still going to do it."

I'll never understand the logic of some people.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
Nope. Like I say though it clearly has to be on purpose.

Yes. Many times. They are just as niche as Living Dead is. There is no good reason you can give me for SWAT and Snipers to stay but Living Dead to get cut.

lol, how can you tell when someone yoinks you on purpose? Especially if they're a random scrub who probably doesn't know left from right.

You're just as bad as any of the BKCleansing crew that you all love to complain about.

Do you remember the death of your favorite pet? Remember the sorrow that clawed at your chest from the inside? That's the level of despair I want my teammates to feel when they don't play the game like I want them to.

The Yoink-to-360-no-scope betrayal seems to work best. Don't be afraid to dip the bags and beat that ass. You've earned it, oh valiant Halo vigilante.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
Do you remember the death of your favorite pet? Remember the sorrow that clawed at your chest from the inside? That's the level of despair I want to instill in my teammates who don't play the game like I want them to.

The Yoink-to-360-no-scope betrayal seems to work best. Don't be afraid the dip the bags and beat that ass. You've earned it, oh valiant Halo vigilante.
I read that in Pete Stacker's voice. Well played.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Do you remember the death of your favorite pet? Remember the sorrow that clawed at your chest from the inside? That's the level of despair I want to instill in my teammates who don't play the game like I want them to.

The Yoink-to-360-no-scope betrayal seems to work best. Don't be afraid the dip the bags and beat that ass. You've earned it, oh valiant Halo vigilante.

I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Comic_Rorschach.jpg

Ramirez

i nerini del buio said:
I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Comic_Rorscach.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtwWraQDn8

Hitmonchan107 said:
Do you remember the death of your favorite pet? Remember the sorrow that clawed at your chest from the inside? That's the level of despair I want my teammates to feel when they don't play the game like I want them to.

Who watches the Hitmonchan?

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
KuGsj.gif

I refuse to believe Spire was designed as it is to be a traditional multiplayer map first and foremost. As a campaign space, like Boneyard, it at least has an excuse for it's disgracefully under utilised play areas.
I wonder about this as well. It's telling because most of the MP spaces in campaign are not so heavily utilized (Sword Base being the only exception). Boneyard we know came from Campaign, but in the case of Spire, there were very specific demands from the Campaign side of the house for what that space needed to feature. It's entirely possible it really was a MP map, but one that was made in tandem with the Campaign team so that it could suit both. (Which it didn't pull off.)
Hypertrooper said:
Isn't Dax going to be jealous if he reads this?
Eh, it's Dax. He can't leave the east coast.

stephen08 said:
Yes. Many times. They are just as niche as Living Dead is. There is no good reason you can give me for SWAT and Snipers to stay but Living Dead to get cut.
that wasn't your post. Your post said they played the same, and they don't.

sp3000

Is there any playlist that isn't filled with Forge World garbage? If I see another map with those unlit blue panels pasted together I'm going to quit this game.

Along with the maps ripped straight out of campaign mode and slapped into multiplayer like some poor third rate developer house would, Reach has the worst maps in any Halo game.

Striker

Ramirez said:
I just want some maps that have interactive parts, made Zanzibar and High Ground so awesome for objective...
I can take maps like High Ground, Zanzibar, Relic, and Containment did with being able to move vehicles in, or being a short-cut for traversing across the map. I also loved how Colossus and Relic had two different map variants, so to speak, for CTF/Assault and Slayer games. Remember the middle bridge in Colossus for Slayer only? We don't see those things anymore, either.

The interactive buttons in Last Resort and Standoff were poor and weren't really helpful for winning a match. In Last Resort, you can still get the flag and run anywhere. In Zanzibar, you had two options, which were the front doors or the ramps leading upstairs. At the same time enemies couldn't kill you unless they were inside or shot through the gate itself. A map like Zanzibar was pretty unique, and still is to this day for the Halo games. You don't see many maps like, or sadly, as good as it is. Halo 4 needs some strong 4v4 asymmetric maps.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
sp3000 said:
Is there any playlist that isn't filled with Forge World garbage? If I see another map with those unlit blue panels pasted together I'm going to quit this game.

Along with the maps ripped straight out of campaign mode and slapped into multiplayer like some poor third rate developer house would, Reach has the worst maps in any Halo game.
Squad Slayer and Premium Slayer include only Bungie-made Forge World maps. They're about all I play, except for occasional TO and Premium Battle.

stephen08

thezerofire said:
that wasn't your post. Your post said they played the same, and they don't.

No it didn't. You need to learn about context this is the second time you've tried to correct me about something I didn't even state in the first place. If you aren't going to read the posts then don't bother responding.

I'd like to see more maps with an interactive element that isn't player controlled. Something like the train on Terminal. Most of the time it's not an issue but it can result in some great moments during the confusion. Gears of War has a couple maps like that IIRC: Hail, Tyro Station, Trenches etc.

stephen08 said:
No it didn't. You need to learn about context this is the second time you've tried to correct me about something I didn't even state in the first place. If you aren't going to read the posts then don't bother responding.

I'd like to see more maps with an interactive element that isn't player controlled. Something like the train on Terminal. Most of the time it's not an issue but it can result in some great moments during the confusion. Gears of War has a couple maps like that IIRC: Hail, Tyro Station, Trenches etc.
lol someone is a vindictive little bitch today. Your post was literally "SWAT and Snipers are pretty the same thing though." Not "SWAT and Snipers are pretty much the same thing as that." It's ambiguous, so pardon my misinterpretation.

Some people.

Gui_PT said:
That man has done nothing but cause you trouble.

tumblr_lgskb0sVMC1qfftqf.gif

stephen08 said:
Nope. Like I say though it clearly has to be on purpose.

On purpose or not it's still a jerk move. Noone is playing favorites here, it's more or less a collective observation based on a seemingly selfish act that's totally devoid of any rational level of common sense. Your behavior is arguably more detrimental to the MM community than the individuals in which you seem to think need to be taught a lesson to.

Disappoint.jpg

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
True, but the point is that re-using the same assets for campaign and multiplayer is a poor choice for a long-time investment into a game. For a game with a quick turnaround like ODST it was acceptable, but I never want to see that again in a regular development cycle for a game.

I know why they did it. I kinda agree with them, and kind of don't. They felt that the shipping multiplayer maps in previous games were not up to the graphics and quality bar of the rest of the game, so they came up with the idea of integrating them into the campaign so they could use the campaign artist's time to bring them up to graphical par like they did with the later Halo 2 and Halo 3 DLC maps.

The upside to this: multiplayer maps got the same graphical polish as campaign, and looked more 'done' than some maps in previous games. In the Construct Post Mortem, they revealed that Construct came in pretty hot, which is why it kind of just looks like a bunch of haphazard Forerunner geometry. Only the most solid and favorite ideas made it to the shipping disc, which probably has something to do with my opinion that Reach has no stinkers for me, while I felt there was a couple of stinkers in Halo 1 and 2. 3 probably came close to this, but Isolation probably prevented that :lol

The downside to this is if a location got cut, the multiplayer map that was there to help fill out the location got cut with it since the artist man hours couldn't be split, and Bungie has a new policy of cut early, cut often after the Halo 2 development fiasco. Guardian in Halo 3 was from a cut location (Bugger homeworld), but it was too far along in Halo 3's development to cut it or re-work it to fit into the final campaign theme. So they just left it like it was. Reflection almost got cut like this but dmiller found an use for it on New Alexandria, so it was saved from the chopping block.

At the end of it, I think we get some more polished maps graphically and gameplay-wise, but some more experimental maps like Waterworks (which went through at least 3-4 unique revisions during Halo 2's development) and Sandtrap have a hard time coming into being under this scheme.

Spire does get underused in some areas, but it was also made while Invasion was in constant flux as a gametype. Then we get Breakpoint, which was made with the final version of Invasion in mind from the get-go, and I think it's the absolute best showcase for the gametype (and not so much for normal objectives). DLC maps have always had that advantage though, after a game has been locked down you can push the graphics and fine-tune the gameplay since the engine and gametype setups are known concrete factors.

Sai-kun

Banned
I bitched out at Booties last night for yoinking my sword assassination on an invisible guy, then he got a double kill, and I was a little less mad, and then I randomly got another sword assassination on the same guy and all was forgiven.

senador

Banned
My IRL friends and I Yoink each other all the time (that sounds dirty). Its hilarious fun. We usually only do it depending on the mood though. If we have been winning we do it, if that round is bad and we are pissed off we try to hold back since an assassination can be a morale booster for my friends. I try to follow the same approach with randoms, and I do them especially if I was already shooting the guy.

General rule of thumb to me is: you decided to do the played out assassination instead of a quick ninja so if you get Yoinked, just move on.

stephen08

I don't feel like the distinction is clear enough between beat down and assassination when it comes to the button press. Pressing the button vs. holding the button seems really finicky. I'd use beat downs way more if I could do them reliably.

xxxstylzxxx said:
On purpose or not it's still a jerk move. Noone is playing favorites here, it's more or less a collective observation based on a seemingly selfish act that's totally devoid of any rational level of common sense. Your behavior is arguably more detrimental to the MM community than the individuals in which you seem to think need to be taught a lesson to.

And yet the common sentiment here when it came to objective holding was that it was just a game.

You guys can't have it both ways.

I'm willing to admit that it's a jerky thing to do but so is yoinking the assassination in the first place. It does escalate it but I find it hard to sympathize.

GhaleonEB said:
I wonder about this as well. It's telling because most of the MP spaces in campaign are not so heavily utilized (Sword Base being the only exception). Boneyard we know came from Campaign, but in the case of Spire, there were very specific demands from the Campaign side of the house for what that space needed to feature. It's entirely possible it really was a MP map, but one that was made in tandem with the Campaign team so that it could suit both. (Which it didn't pull off.)

Eh, it's Dax. He can't leave the east coast.
If it was indeed the case, then allow me to post this picture as a response to how I think it all worked out:

AMjJq.jpg

it's almost impressive how bad that map plays. Almost.

feel

stephen08 said:
And yet the common sentiment here when it came to objective holding was that it was just a game.
Common sentiment by the minority doing that stuff, not the rest of us.

stephen08

Letters said:
Common sentiment by the minority doing that stuff, not the rest of us.

That's reassuring to some degree but disappointing to another. Why don't you speak out against these unsavory practices by long term members?

Risen

stephen08 said:

You are conflating objective holding with playing an objective game and not actively working towards capping the objective.

Anyway. So done with junior drama right now, let's do something fun.

Came up with some stupid, hilarious (and maybe even cool?) medals on the bus today. Tell me if you'd really like to see any of these visually (or not =P I won't be offended this was just dumb shit that came to me while riding to school.) If you have your own ideas, by all means, post those as well. I'm not out to steal any ideas, just visualize them. If you think of a better name also, post it.

Fragstorm/Nadestorm - Die in an explosion of 3 or more nades.
Darth Spartan - for betraying your team mate
Two Birds, One Snipe - Kill at least two people with one sniper bullet.
Guests Don't Get Me Down - Play a game with a majority of guests and still win.
Altruist - Win with the least kills but most assists in a slayer game.
Scrooge - Win with the most kills and least assists in a slayer game.
Variety Hour - Get a kill with every weapon on the map.
Evade That! - Kill someone while they're evading. (Jetpack and sprint have this, why not evade).
Air Superiority - Down a flying aircraft while in one.
Lockout! - Win a plots game with all plots controlled.
Early Bird - Kill a person within 10 seconds of spawn.
Illusionist - Trick up to 3 people in a game with your hologram.
Shared the Love - You were at least 50% of your opponents killed most by.
Punching Bag - You were at least 50% of your opponents killed most.

FyreWulff said:
I know why they did it. I kinda agree with them, and kind of don't. They felt that the shipping multiplayer maps in previous games were not up to the graphics and quality bar of the rest of the game, so they came up with the idea of integrating them into the campaign so they could use the campaign artist's time to bring them up to graphical par like they did with the later Halo 2 and Halo 3 DLC maps.

The upside to this: multiplayer maps got the same graphical polish as campaign, and looked more 'done' than some maps in previous games. In the Construct Post Mortem, they revealed that Construct came in pretty hot, which is why it kind of just looks like a bunch of haphazard Forerunner geometry. Only the most solid and favorite ideas made it to the shipping disc, which probably has something to do with my opinion that Reach has no stinkers for me, while I felt there was a couple of stinkers in Halo 1 and 2. 3 probably came close to this, but Isolation probably prevented that :lol

The downside to this is if a location got cut, the multiplayer map that was there to help fill out the location got cut with it since the artist man hours couldn't be split, and Bungie has a new policy of cut early, cut often after the Halo 2 development fiasco. Guardian in Halo 3 was from a cut location (Bugger homeworld), but it was too far along in Halo 3's development to cut it or re-work it to fit into the final campaign theme. So they just left it like it was. Reflection almost got cut like this but dmiller found an use for it on New Alexandria, so it was saved from the chopping block.

At the end of it, I think we get some more polished maps graphically and gameplay-wise, but some more experimental maps like Waterworks (which went through at least 3-4 unique revisions during Halo 2's development) and Sandtrap have a hard time coming into being under this scheme.

Spire does get underused in some areas, but it was also made while Invasion was in constant flux as a gametype. Then we get Breakpoint, which was made with the final version of Invasion in mind from the get-go, and I think it's the absolute best showcase for the gametype (and not so much for normal objectives). DLC maps have always had that advantage though, after a game has been locked down you can push the graphics and fine-tune the gameplay since the engine and gametype setups are known concrete factors.
You lost me, sir. I can count the number of good, non-remake, non-Forge World maps on the bad hand of a high school shop teacher. I certainly respect your opinion, but I feel that Bungie's concept just plain didn't work out. The repetition/quality ratio is too skewed in the wrong direction for me to ever want to see it again.

edit: those are all awesome, Devo. Guests Don't Get Me Down would be a tough one, lol

I personally think Evade That! is almost impossible.

Can there be a medal called "lol" - "Kill an enemy upon emergence from Armor Lock."

Louis Wu

stephen08 said:
I'm willing to admit that it's a jerky thing to do but so is yoinking the assassination in the first place. It does escalate it but I find it hard to sympathize.

B.net says I have 51 Yoink medals in Competitive play.

I'd say 50 of them are completely accidental - as in, I either didn't notice the guy going for the assassination, or my kill came from a grenade that I threw before the assassination started, or I simply turned and fired in the direction I was being shot from and took out a guy who was in the process of being stabbed.

I'm willing to bet that the VAST MAJORITY of Yoinks are covered by these types of situations. That a small (under 10%) of all Yoinks are people ACTIVELY TRYING TO FUCK OVER THE PERSON DOING AN ASSASSINATION. (I don't really care what the number is; I'm 100% positive it's a majority of Yoinks, though.)

And yet, you're STILL trying to justify your actions based on the argument that "he was a jerk first."

Pfft. I'm done. You've earned the position of the very first person, ever, on my HaloGAF ignore list.

thezerofire said:

Can there be a medal called "lol" - "Kill an enemy upon emergence from Armor Lock."

I've gotten a couple evade that!(s) =p. It's really funny to see their body fly. I would call that medal Ridiculous Patience or something.

Louis Wu said:

I'd say 50 of them are completely accidental - as in, I either didn't notice the guy going for the assassination, or my kill came from a grenade that I threw before the assassination started, or I simply turned and fired in the direction I was being shot from and took out a guy who was in the process of being stabbed.

I'm willing to bet that the VAST MAJORITY of Yoinks are covered by these types of situations. That a small (under 10%) of all Yoinks are people ACTIVELY TRYING TO FUCK OVER THE PERSON DOING AN ASSASSINATION. (I don't really care what the number is; I'm 100% positive it's a majority of Yoinks, though.)

And yet, you're STILL trying to justify your actions based on the argument that "he was a jerk first."

Pfft. I'm done. You've earned the position of the very first person, ever, on my HaloGAF ignore list.

Wu is normally so chill. DAYUM. This batch of posters mang, lulz to the max.

stephen08

Risen said:
You are conflating objective holding with playing an objective game and not actively working towards capping the objective.

And you are trying to justify the behavior via a technicality. Leaving the flag at the opponents base and just killing scrubs for the remainder of the match is the same thing. When it's a total blowout and you are not taking measures to end the game you're being a dick.

stephen08

Louis Wu said:

As I said before, I don't betray in instances where it was an obvious accident. Your rage is misplaced.

Risen said:
Ummmm no I wasn't...

Ok so then what? Just pointing out the fact the 2 situations are different in that the flag is in different locations? Because that's really the crux of the point right? Not the fact that it's people getting killed over and over by an obviously superior team who decides to exploit a flaw in the scoring system.

As far as I am concerned, it's the same thing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Of the shipping multiplayer maps that are worked into the campaign, these maps were the worst in terms of integration.

Countdown - whilst the Sabre blast-off was fantastic, you only spend a few seconds walking into the Countdown area. A few seconds. That's it.

Boardwalk - you walk from one end of the map to the other walk out a door. There's no action at all and it's right at the start of the level so you quickly forget about it.

Reflection - a shoehorned in mini quest. It's dark. You rush in and out fast as possible. The objective tries to force you spend the least amount of time in the area. Buggers, the least fun enemy type in game, are there to ensure your swiftness.

They at least tried to make the other multiplayer maps meaningful in the campaign as you spend some time in Sword Base, Powerhouse and even Boneyard and Spire.

I hope 343 never repeat this particular development scheme.

Louis Wu said:

The bouncer kicked him out of Club Errera

Louis Wu said:

That's exactly the situation he was talking about. It's only in that <10% he stated where it is on purpose.

stephen08 said:
As I said before, I don't betray in instances where it was an obvious accident. Your rage is misplaced.

Ok so then what? Just pointing out the fact the 2 situations are different in that the flag is in different locations? Because that's really the crux of the point right? Not the fact that it's people getting killed over and over by an obviously superior team who decides to exploit a flaw in the scoring system.

As far as I am concerned, it's the same thing.

What about instances in which the person has shot them to death and you just run up and assassinate them, effectively stealing their kill, and they yoink and take it back? The difference between your bullshit and holding, is you're going out of your way to team kill, I don't recall team killing ever really being a part of a game's intended mechanics. You can argue all day about objective holding, if people in the group don't want to do it, I respect that, if they do, I indulge them. The other team gets killed, but we're still working within the game's intended structure (red kills blue and vice versa). I don't recall ever being penalized on spawn for killing opponents.

People point out where you and others are doing naughty things precisely because you got up on a high horse about something unethical, when you do something quite unethical yourself. He who casts the first stone and all that nonsense. Most of the objective holders have something you don't, time spent here, they're like the seniors who haze the freshmen. Not everyone is a fan but we respect the time they've put in here. You on the other hand come in guns a blazing, gettin' up on a soapbox and when people find out you're a hypocrite to boot, you expect the same respect others have earned?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Fuck I can't even take this shit seriously.

Syracuse022 said:
I'd call that one Pull Up A Chair
Buckner - be the final, loss-clinching kill in a close game
haha who saw this week's Curb?
Miami Heat - as a full team, matched up against a team of solo players, somehow manage to lose

Heh, those are good ones.

thezerofire said:

I'd call that one Pull Up A Chair
Buckner - be the final, loss-clinching kill in a close game
haha who saw this week's Curb?
Miami Heat - as a full team, matched up against a team of solo players, somehow manage to lose

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
Anyway. So done with junior drama right now, let's do something fun.

Came up with some stupid, hilarious (and maybe even cool?) medals on the bus today. Tell me if you'd really like to see any of these visually (or not =P I won't be offended this was just dumb shit that came to me while riding to school.) If you have your own ideas, by all means, post those as well. I'm not out to steal any ideas, just visualize them. If you think of a better name also, post it.

Fragstorm/Nadestorm - Die in an explosion of 3 or more nades.
Darth Spartan - for betraying your team mate
Two Birds, One Snipe - Kill at least two people with one sniper bullet.
Guests Don't Get Me Down - Play a game with a majority of guests and still win.
Altruist - Win with the least kills but most assists in a slayer game.
Scrooge - Win with the most kills and least assists in a slayer game.
Variety Hour - Get a kill with every weapon on the map.
Evade That! - Kill someone while they're evading. (Jetpack and sprint have this, why not evade).
Air Superiority - Down a flying aircraft while in one.
Lockout! - Win a plots game with all plots controlled.
Early Bird - Kill a person within 10 seconds of spawn.
Illusionist - Trick up to 3 people in a game with your hologram.
Shared the Love - You were at least 50% of your opponents killed most by.
Punching Bag - You were at least 50% of your opponents killed most.
Hahaha, so good!

The way things have been going lately, I'll max out my Guests Don't Get Me Down commendation in a few days.

Devolution said:
Most of the objective holders have something you don't, time spent here, they're like the seniors who haze the freshmen. Not everyone is a fan but we respect the time they've put in here. You on the other hand come in guns a blazing, gettin' up on a soapbox and when people find out you're a hypocrite to boot, you expect the same respect others have earned?
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Fuck I can't even take this shit seriously."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Triple double: 10 kills, 10 assists, plus 10 k/d spread.

This was more common in Halo 3 because of assists.

Top Bottom