• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

I wouldn't say it's a lot but it's certainly not a small number.

No one is saying it is, however the need for more than 100 is there for alot of people and its something microsoft previously have acknowledged and they had "plans" to increase. Before GAF i only had around 40 people on my list now im clearing it constantly between GAF,RL and various other internet friends 100 is feeling pretty restrictive.

FyreWulff

Hey NeoGAF got mentioned in a podcast with Frankie lol
(around the 14 minute mark)

Also Frankie the best way to do a Halo 2 remake would be a Games on Demand or Arcade version, a retail version wouldn't really work like it did for CEA. Actually a $20 Games on demand version with 1000 GS would be awesome.

Microsoft isn't going to restrict a Halo title to the XBLA ghetto. If they do it, it's going to be retail.

And sucks, who saw that coming.

/asshole

She's not bad, she's just drawn that way

When i launch the GoD version of Reach with Halo CEA in the disc drive it launches the CEA Reach suite.

Frankie? Lybertyboy?

It's possible to launch the CE:A multiplayer directly from the Game Library since the 360 enumerates it as another executable/game in the Game Library. I guess the 360 is set up to prefer the version of an executable on disc media over HDD media? Not sure if they can do anything about that from their side, might need a dash update.

I dunno. I've never seen her before. Probably eye candy but I always get depressed watching chicks like her doing these types of bullshit jobs. I guess it pays the bills.

I think she's friend with a lot of the mlg staff and players. She used to date Elamite. Not sure if she actually games.

Yeah mine shot right up to right under a hundred just from joining GAF. I've love to have the limit raised.

When i launch the GoD version of Reach with Halo CEA in the disc drive it launches the CEA Reach suite.

Frankie? Lybertyboy?

I had the same thing happen once (beta dash). I just went back to the dash and launched the game again and it correctly booted up Reach. Hasn't happened again since that.

lol at the comments. I have about 85 peoples. And I never played with guys I know in Real-life... I should delete them... Oh no than I'm getting the rage facebook messages.

Other question: David or Frankie: Is One-CTF on Headlong part of Anniversary/BTB playlist or are all Classic maps just Anniversary Slayer only? If yes, I'm sad. :( You old pals should know how much fun One-CTF on Headlong is.

Do we have a HaloGAF GT, or multiple. While not a fix it would allow us to view everyone from HaloGAF online at that time.
There are a lot of tags. But no one is using them or even manage them. lol. I never used the EuroHaloGAF tag.

Hey NeoGAF got mentioned in a podcast with Frankie lol
(around the 14 minute mark)

Also Frankie the best way to do a Halo 2 remake would be a Games on Demand or Arcade version, a retail version wouldn't really work like it did for CEA. Actually a $20 Games on demand version with 1000 GS would be awesome.

Interesting to hear (I expected it) Frankie say that the multiplayer in Halo 4 will be shaking things up/making it fresh.

Microsoft isn't going to restrict a Halo title to the XBLA ghetto. If they do it, it's going to be retail.

Digital distribution for Xbox Next. Believe.

I realize that cutting out retail completely would be a massive lobbying issue and won't happen, but I am hoping for everything to also get same day digital distribution release. Terabyte hard drive or bust!

FyreWulff

Do we have a HaloGAF GT, or multiple. While not a fix it would allow us to view everyone from HaloGAF online at that time.

On one hand meta-tags are great, on the other hand it depends on the creator keeping up with it and just encourages MS to think that the community management side on their console is solved.

I can directly blame losing some of our Halo players in my clan because it became harder for everyone that wasn't in the web-of-friends to find and get games with people of similiar interest. Halo 2? You just got online and did "Invite online clan members", and you'd either have a full party within five minutes or one of the parties would invite you.

3 / Reach? You're limited to those on your Friends List, a list that is competing for space with your game buddies from other games and other forums. Really hard to get new people in to your games as people are resistant to adding 'unknown' people to their FL.

tl;dr Microsoft needs to implement system wide clans, groups, something so communities can actually you know, communicate

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I joined in the 360 pretty late, but was always surprised by the lack of community features. While Steam Community is a bit of a mess, at least they have groups, with group chat, invite only filters, announcements and event calendars.

On one hand meta-tags are great, on the other hand it depends on the creator keeping up with it and just encourages MS to think that the community management side on their console is solved.

I can directly blame losing some of our Halo players in my clan because it became harder for everyone that wasn't in the web-of-friends to find and get games with people of similiar interest. Halo 2? You just got online and did "Invite online clan members", and you'd either have a full party within five minutes or one of the parties would invite you.

3 / Reach? You're limited to those on your Friends List, a list that is competing for space with your game buddies from other games and other forums. Really hard to get new people in to your games as people are resistant to adding 'unknown' people to their FL.

tl;dr Microsoft needs to implement system wide clans, groups, something so communities can actually you know, communicate

Sorry bro busy with facebook implementation instead so you can annoy your friends feeds with stupid shit about what game you're playing or what achievement you earned.

Frankie? Lybertyboy?

That kiiiinda happened to me when I loaded up Reach lol. Only the Anniversary stuff loads up. Backing to main menu and then back into multiplayer fixed it but yeah it was odd.

wwm0nkey

A $20 Games on Demand release is honestly the best choice for a Halo 2 Anniversary, I really do not believe a retail release would be the best choice.

I started typing a reply to this over in the CEA thread, got distracted, read others responses and saw you wanted to continue in this thread, so Cryptum, Glasslands, Terminal spoilers inbound-

You mean Forerunners as enemies, right? I don't see it happening. They are dead.

Funny thing, I think it's best to look at things from a gameplay perspective if you want to find the best clues about the story - at least for now.

Here's my very early prediction/thoughts for Halo 4. I think it's about time I crytalised my thoughts up to this point.

Spoilers abound for everything.

Based on the fact that I don't think the sandbox is going to be radically altered, we'll have a few new weapons and vehicles for sure like every Halo game, it means we're most likely to have typical "Halo" encounters against intelligent and reactive enemies. With the enemies using the same sandbox, they are most likely to be "Covenant" - well the jackals, grunts and elites we've come to love.

The main enemies can't be Forerunners or machines because of the open and familiar nature of the sandbox. Machines or Forerunners simply wouldn't be using crude Plasma Pistols, or Needlers, piloting Banshees or driving Ghosts or anything like that.

We have the Chief finding himself stranded on this Forerunner installation and we've been promised that the place will feel alive and active compared with past Forerunner ruins that have been rather dead or inert - even with sentinels. So there's definitely going to be a Forerunner or Forerunner AI/sentinel presence or whatever is making the place "active".

The events of Glasslands gives us an idea of the situation the former-Covenant species now finds themselves in. The Covenant war machines is utter broken. The factories are silent. The former Prophets have mysterious retreated from Galactic view. The Engineers have also vanished. The Brutes are in complete disarray, the Grunts are... well, they will probably begin to over-breed and ruin whatever limited food supply system they depend on without the Covenant. The Elites are busy trying to figure out how to plant crops.

Humanity has been pushed to the edge of extinction. Earth's location is no longer a secret. However Humanity is currently in the best position in terms of military and economic infrastructure thanks to the hurried adoption of Covenant and Forerunner technologies. Minor scribbles with lost colonies aside, Humanity is sitting on top of the Galactic foodchain.

Those "lost" colonies have turned their backs on the UNSC, having felt abandoned during their times of greatest need. On the back of the forgotten Insurrection against the UNSC prior to the Covenant war, there's a renewed sense of rebellion from the surviving colonies. Military technology is now an open commodity and a multi-species black market is flourishing trading in tools of planetary destruction thanks to opportunistic species from all sides.

Then we have the Haloes. We have six armed Halo installations any Human could foolishly activate just sitting out there across the galaxy. We have ONI Research Facility Trevelyan, a hyperstructure that dwarves the Earth in size (would make for an interesting place to settle!). Trevelyan would take thousands of years to fully explore.

The Flood is not defeated. We've destroyed the Gravemind at the Ark. The Elites cleaned up Installation 05, but that leaves at least five Halo installations that most likely still have the Flood. And the events of Halo Wars have shown that the Flood may still be present in other locations.

So Master Chief is drifting towards an active Forerunner installation. I think we're gonna fight some Elites again when they make a move to acquire Forerunner technology so as to not fall behind Humanity militarily - we'll see Grunts and Jackals again too along for the ride. The Chief might be alone when he lands and goes off exploring but it won't be too long before he encounters familiar enemies and new foes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Neo-Covenant (dammit, I have to give them some collective term, so I'm choosing this even if it might be very wrong for obvious reasons) or the Prophets in a desperate power move or even a Neo-Insurrectionist movement end up freeing whatever ancient enemy that is locked away in the Forerunner installation.

We'll have our three way battles with the Neo-Covenant, Neo-Insurrectionists, Sentinels or maybe even the Flood. The UNSC will most likely end up finding the Chief at some point and enter the new struggle before the game concludes.

In the past we've fought alongside ODST and marines and I think we're going to be joined by the Spartan IV's on the battlefield but I doubt they'll ever be as effective as the Chief or former Spartan groups.

There's so many open possibilities and threats to the galaxy still left to resolve so I don't think we're going to be any new super Haloes or Mega-Arks.

I still think we're far too in the dark at this point to make any serious progress in pinpointing the exact journey in we'll be taking in Halo 4 or what exactly we'll be doing along the way. The possibilities are easily mapped out, even considering possible curve balls or surprising twists that 343 will inevitably throw our way.

I've been interested in politics. The history of the UNSC has been the most fascinating for me and also the most tortuous thanks to how little has been explained or explored. If I could pay 343 a million quid to produce a detailed historical textbook book documenting human history between now and the events prior to the Human-Covenant war I would.

I had a twinge of excitement with Reach when the Insurrection was mentioned, only to be left cold that it was an empty and ultimately brief reference.

I ideally I'd like to see this explored and have it take centre stage, if not in the games then at least in the fiction, but politics and human squabbles isn't particularly Halo. We've never gunned down another human being (well we have within the framework of the game, with friendly fire =P) and I don't think that going to happen in Halo 4 or beyond.

The Spartan II project was created to halt a rebellion. Humanity was at war with itself, like we've always been. The Covenant War was a distraction. The Flood was a distraction. This new threat may be a distraction. But soon enough we'll get back to a point where we're going to argue and fight and kill each other again.
I think Glasslands has shown this moment may have already come.

I agree with a lot of your points, as most are well thought out and good logic. That said, the one I disagree with, or rather, hope is wrong is
The Covenant being the main badies of Halo 4. By all means, we will see some of the former covenant and fite against and possibly along side some of them. That said, it would be a missed opportunity not to introduce a new threat. I agree with others in saying that the average player will go "Wtf, I thought we beat the Covenant." On top of that, with the mysteries of the Precursors and Forerunners, it would be a shame to miss out on a brand new threat rather than a restructuring of an old one.

Im a little foggy with the Halo Cryptum, so correct me if Im wrong in that Cryptums were a way for Forerunners to survive the pass of time, for one reason or another. I truly wonder if we may see those used in Halo 4, as we awaken some who sought not to be destroyed by the Halo rings. Also, while I cannot remember what they were called, the suits of armor that kept a fraction of the last user intact via AI could also be a viable enemy.

While it is all speculation at this point, I really think we will see a story that is deeply focused around the Forerunners and Precursors, and possibly the origins of the flood. All evidence seems to hint towards this direction, or at least that will be the main driving force of the plot. That said, I think the inbound Elite civil war is another important plot point and we will see them as both enemies and allies.

While that is all pure speculation, I do think there is enough evidence to support it as a viable theory. Heres hoping we start to get a clearer picture of Halo 4 sooner rather than later.

A $20 Games on Demand release is honestly the best choice for a Halo 2 Anniversary, I really do not believe a retail release would be the best choice.

Your just being cheap :p.

Id be happy with both but i think a full retail title would be for the best honestly. Either way aslong as i get H2:A im going to be so happy.

Id like multiplayer with it but if they cut it and add maps to H4 id still be happy.

Halo 4 Multiplayer getting a shakeup?
Squad based believe

mhsilver

Banned
I haven't had a chance to jump into Halo Reach lately, I've been addicted to Assassin's Creed and Rayman.

What's the general consensus for the new, redone maps?

Also, what are the bloom options as far as the ranked playlists go?

Id be happy with both but i think a full retail title would be for the best honestly. Either way aslong as i get H2:A im going to be so happy.

Id like multiplayer with it but if they cut it and add maps to H4 id still be happy.

Squad based believe

If squad based is done right, I think it could be awesome.

Willeth

Where did that Halo 2 thing come from? Surely it just inherited the limit present in Live itself?

Whenever MS makes a statement about this they always go on about how the average user only has thirty friends, or whatever, but they never say how active those users are, if they're including free Silver accounts in that, or if they've looked at how many people like me would have if possible? I'd say I'd easily be up to a hundred and fifty people I need on that list - the Gears folk, Halo guys and MW3 people, plus IRL friends, people I know from work (and previous places of work), etc. Now whenever I want to add someone new I have to rank everyone in order of preference, which isn't great.

wwm0nkey

I just don't seeing a retail release working, honestly a Games on Demand version or a complete Halo 2 map pack for Halo 5 with emulated Halo 2 gameplay would be the better options and wouldn't threaten to separate the online community of the current Halo game.

I just don't seeing a retail release working, honestly a Games on Demand version or a complete Halo 2 map pack for Halo 4 with emulated Halo 2 gameplay.

Games on demand single player with 1000GS and Halo 4 with some Halo 2 maps id be happy with. Sell it in stores in a box with just the code in there and ill be even happier. Screw the enviroment

Likely old but the Major Nelson Podcast has Dan and Frankie on it.

Frankie says 12 terminals and quickly corrects himself to 10, with "threshold" we have 11 terminals 1 more?

mhsilver

Banned
Hey can somebody either spell out or link me to list of the current/new playlists introduced since the Title Update and Halo Anniversary release?

Including the amount of Bloom, weapons included, and other important differences? I'm way out of the loop. :(

Id make 2 or 3 and manage them if a demand exists

I doubt there would be a need for more than one tag. I don't think there are THAT many active HaloGaffers.

Squad based believe

Honestly, I'd be happy with a large map pack for the current Halo Game (Halo 4?) with all of the maps from Halo 2 and it's map packs.

wwm0nkey

Games on demand single player with 1000GS and Halo 4 with some Halo 2 maps id be happy with. Sell it in stores in a box with just the code in there and ill be even happier. Screw the enviroment

Frankie says 12 terminals and quickly corrects himself to 10, with "threshold" we have 11 terminals 1 more?

Well apparently we havent found the best easter egg yet, maybe the 12th terminal is it.

I keep getting kicked out of the Waypoint app. I'm assuming that's not normal...

EDIT: seems to be working now. New waypoint app is really slick and has a lot more information than the last time I ventured into waypoint.

Also, My BPR is at least 20 points lower than any other HaloGAFers.

I keep getting kicked out of the Waypoint app. I'm assuming that's not normal...

Happened to me yesterday, try relaunching it? I kept getting "waypoint servers down"

Frankie talking about a really cool improvement to user generated content tools. I cannot help but hope that its terrain editor in forge.

EDIT: seems to be working now. New waypoint app is really slick and has a lot more information than thel ast time I ventured into waypoint.

Also, My BPR is at least 20 points lower than any other HaloGAFers.

Go to the main screen and press "X"

Happened to me yesterday, try relaunching it? I kept getting "waypoint servers down"

Frankie talking about a really cool improvement to user generated content tools. I cannot help but hope that its terrain editor in forge.

That appeared to fix the issue. May be just some sporadic connectivity issue. I'm attempting to figure out what levels each waypoint armor piece unlocks at in reach because I'm so vain, but failing miserably.

Ken

I think it's a lot.

e75ed885.png

blamite

That appeared to fix the issue. May be just some sporadic connectivity issue. I'm attempting to figure out what levels each waypoint armor piece unlocks at in reach because I'm so vain, but failing miserably.
The armor requirements are here. They require some achievements from Reach, Halo 3, and ODST, plus Waypoint levels..

Better yet, GonD code included with brand new copies of Halo 4. I'm sure that would get a bunch of people to buy new.

kylej

Banned
Stop being anti-social.
Try being nicer?

If someone shows up as "Offline", or I haven't played games with them in 2 months, or if I don't really know them, I don't need them on my friends list. Why keep people on your XBL friends list that you probably won't play XBL with. I don't get it.

The armor requirements are here. They require some achievements from Reach, Halo 3, and ODST, plus Waypoint levels..

GAF Delivers! Doesn't look like I'm missing much. I'm at rank 28 and the only other unlocks are at 30 don't seem mind blowing.

I knew about the [x] easter egg on waypoint, took me a couple of tries to get past the face button colors because my controller has all grey face buttons.

If someone shows up as "Offline", or I haven't played games with them in 2 months, or if I don't really know them, I don't need them on my friends list. Why keep people on your XBL friends list that you probably won't play XBL with. I don't get it.

What if we dont?

From observation you play halo pretty exclusively. For people who play multiple games online and are part of multiple communitys then 100 is pretty small

FyreWulff

Almost dying in the first actual battle in Skyward Sword reminded me that Halo needs some new hardmode skulls to add some new genuine difficulty over 'annoying' difficulty. I'd like to see an "Agent" skull that acts like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark where you cannot get health back during a mission.

Tunavi

Banned
Almost dying in the first actual battle in Skyward Sword reminded me that Halo needs some new hardmode skulls to add some new genuine difficulty over 'annoying' difficulty. I'd like to see an "Agent" skull that acts like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark where you cannot get health back during a mission.
Black Eye?

One melee and all your shields and you get it back.

This wouldn't give you the magic melee restore ability

Mythic. Id like a mythic difficulty for Halo 4 and a skull that does what mythic previously did call it noble or something.

No related achievements have them stop at legendary but something on a service record saying you have done mythic or SLASO or w.e. dont punish people who dont do it but reward people that do. SLASO so far feels pointless to do i get nothing to prove it. Reminds me of back in the day when people lied about doing Halo CE and Halo 2 on legendary.

Top Bottom