• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Striker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5u3bt6eB0&hd=1

How to fucking close. Take the time to watch what the definition of Ridgeline means. Map is so bad without AA's, sure take out the vehicles but don't remove the AA's
What AA's are even relevant or necessary? Sprint, sure because of the slow speed. Jetpack? Camo? Hologram? No. Evade? Hell no, needs removed immediately for being a broken POS. That's why Classic shines in these maps.

Willeth

Posted this on Twitter yesterday: "I'm in the awkward position of slowly realising that maybe I don't like Halo 1 any more. So much of what is now Halo was introduced later."

I guess I shouldn't have expected CEA to be anything more than a nostalgia run. But I don't have a massive stock of affection for Halo CE. I never owned an original Xbox. When I got my 360, I played through 1 and 2 back to back shortly before 3 came out to see what the fuss was about. I did enjoy them - but I loved 3 and the others that came after.

But, for me, that means that the nostalgia kicks in so much later in the series - with Halo 3, even. And so much of what I consider Halo to be, and so much that has made me love the game, just wasn't present in the original. Plasma EMPs disabling vehicles, for example. Vehicle hijacking. Switching weapons with the AI. Even things like the way enemies respond to being attacked - the shield pop and regeneration works differently, Jackals aren't susceptible to the two-shot, and so forth (although Hunters seem not to have changed throughout). I don't miss the BR at all, but it's another example of something that is very Halo but came in a lot later.

It just feels like a lot of what I have always loved about Halo, the variety of ways to approach encounters and variety of ways to get yourself out of sticky situations, came in a lot later than I thought. There's literally no reason not to carry the initial sniper and AR throughout the whole of Truth and Reconciliation. Hell, it gives you one after picking up Keyes. Compare that to Long Night of Solace, where (I, at least) am picking up every weapon in the sandbox to push past each different encounter.

I would have had this surprise, I think, if I'd just played through vanilla Halo 1 anyway, and maybe I should have. But playing through CEA makes me feel like it's such a missed opportunity to explore what the game would have been like with some of those additions. Yes, EMP and hijacking ruins (among other things) the Banshee race. But if 343 had been interested in just going a little more in-depth with it I would have been very interested in the result. Bungie's original is still a classic, of course - but it's a big mistake to think that it couldn't have been improved upon.

Seeing what 343 have done so far with Reach I have big hopes on Halo 4, it will be the best Halo evar!

They fixed Reach's lack of good non-forge maps and added the classic experience people were begging for, they also did an amazing job with Xbox's Waypoint app and they have assured they'll continue to improve the overall experience.

They have already achieved more than Bungie ever did with Reach, they just have to continue polishing everything.

A good start would be making evade elite exclusive as it was intended.

Striker

Plasma EMPs disabling vehicles,
I personally hope that stays away from Halo, but I do agree about hijacking. A great addition to the series - now remove the awful stun and quicksand motion when getting kicked out.

wow @ the new 360 halo waypoint °O° amazing job 343
ps. what's the music playing in background?

I took a look because of your post and wow, 343 did a very,very good job on this. Looks really slick and it has a lot of information from canon to playerstats.

I really hope 343 is going to implant this in the Halo 4 menus without you having to leave the game. That's still my biggest problem with waypoint.
Make some more armor/unlocks/credits connected with the medals/milestones you can unlock via waypoint and I would be a very, very happy man.

Nobody votes for Crazy King. :(

It may be just me, but I really like Oddball and Crazy King in the 4v4 setting. Then again, this is pretty much beating the same drum as usual: Playing with Objective games with people you know is great, playing with random people blows.

TheOddOne

I really hope 343 is going to implant this in the Halo 4 menus without you having to leave the game. That's still my biggest problem with waypoint.

Make some more armor/unlocks/credits connected with the medals/milestones you can unlock via waypoint and I would be a very, very happy man.
Yeah, Waypoint integration has to be in Halo 4. If not then it's really a damn shame.

TheOddOne

I imagine it's still going to be a hotlink to the app, not sure why'd you want to lose RAM to running the Waypoint app on top of the Halo 4 executable..
Maby a small part (''Core'') of Waypoint will be ingame, the rest of it will still be in the seperate Waypoint app.

Kuroyume

Banned
I personally hope that stays away from Halo, but I do agree about hijacking. A great addition to the series - now remove the awful stun and quicksand motion when getting kicked out.

FUCK YOU HALO 3

Btw Halo-GoT-GAF... First promo of season 2 tonight... OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG

Yeah, the stun is pretty terrible, especially in Reach.

Buh wuh? Launching Waypoint clears the 360 cache?

I wouldn't mind if it was VERY brief- like, just enough for a Warthog to get out of jack distance if they book it- but leaving you helpless for several seconds, long enough for the jacker to turn around and run you over while you can do nothing about it, is unacceptable.

Yep, thats why all your saved films are gone after using waypoint. It's the main reason I never use it anymore.
*jaw drops*

So you're sure it's Waypoint that does this? Can anyone else confirm?
If so that's a pretty stupid flaw to escape cert!

I wouldn't mind if it was VERY brief- like, just enough for a Warthog to get out of jack distance if they book it- but leaving you helpless for several seconds, long enough for the jacker to turn around and run you over while you can do nothing about it, is unacceptable.
It's murderous in a Ghost.

So I take it the infection achievements can only be received via anniversary playlists and or maps? I just had a game where I was the last man standing as well as infected more than 3 players in one round but didn't get the achievements.

Karl2177

So I take it the infection achievements can only be received via anniversary playlists and or maps? I just had a game where I was the last man standing as well as infected more than 3 players in one round but didn't get the achievements.

Last man standing must be Defiant. Infect 3 players must be Anniversary.

Very low. Since 343i added the Anniversary Maps to the Premium Battle playlist.

You have to play the Living Dead playlist to get Infection on a Defiant map. You could try for the other Defiant achievements in Premium Battle, but as you said, people are going to vote for Anniversary maps almost always.

Did anybody try getting the defiant achievements by deleting the Noble and Anniverary mappacks?

It's not necessary. You just need a full party of Defiant Map Pack owners. If you can get 8, you search in Slayer or Objective, and if you get 12 you search in Infection. The Noble and Anniversary Map Packs are not a hindrance at all, it's the fact that there are so many in matchmaking that don't have the DLC, and the only list that requires it is currently unsuitable.

Karl2177

It's not necessary. You just need a full party of Defiant Map Pack owners. If you can get 8, you search in Slayer or Objective, and if you get 12 you search in Infection. The Noble and Anniversary Map Packs are not a hindrance at all, it's the fact that there are so many in matchmaking that don't have the DLC, and the only list that requires it is currently unsuitable.

We had a party of 12 the other day, and we had no luck in Living Dead. Admittedly we only tried 2 rounds, but a Defiant map never popped up in our 4 voting rounds.

By some reason my Xbox keep telling me my Invasion: Highlands map is now a map variant of Ridgeline, not fucking funny.

Could anyone who played/downloaded it and kept it in their HDD send me a link to thrir fileshare or something. I'll be pretty fucked if I had to forge it all again :(

FyreWulff

By some reason my Xbox keep telling me my Invasion: Highlands map is now a map variant of Ridgeline, not fucking funny.

Could anyone who played/downloaded it and kept it in their HDD send me a link to thrir fileshare or something. I'll be pretty fucked if I had to forge it all again :(

Do you still have a film from a game on it? if you play the film, the map will show up in your Recent History.

TheOddOne

That sucks :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
A badge to post on Facebook. Microsoft taking cues from Bungie's player investment team, I see.

YOUR FORUM CREDENTIALS DESERVE RECOGNITION

1488387.jpg

Presented to:

kylej

Did anybody try getting the defiant achievements by deleting the Noble and Anniverary mappacks?

Thats the way I did it and it worked a treat. I think the way they tuned it makes it so that a DLC map will almost always show in the first round of voting, if the only DLC you have is Defiant then you have much better odds of getting a Defiant map show up.

Team Objective for 1 flag worked well.

So one of the dailies yesterday was getting 77 kills with automatic weapons. Guess who got 21 kill with the AR in one game without any melee kills at all? This BK.

eww

Was just playing CEA with Gui, the guy is a Halo 1 god. Were gonna be on later trying to help nab the Defiant achievements. Anyone up for that?

Top Bottom