• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Oh okay, good. Ignore me then.:p

No, but in Team Objective and Premium Battle its in there and I don't see a huge problem with it (besides in Speed Flag).
I can't believe that you don't have a problem with an ability that can get you more than halfway across a medium sized map in two rolls. Evade needs to, at the very least, be tweaked to a roll that's proportionate to the size of the species. If it were similar to the rolls in Gears, I'd have no problem with the AA at all.

Once again, loadouts really need to be specific to a map and a gametype. I don't understand what's so difficult to implement about this.

Well until they say it would be really difficult to roll out some version of arena ranking/1-50 ranking into the competitive playlists, I imagine everyone will just keep requesting it.

They should look at the way SC2 does it, turns out its probably one of the most popular competitive games with hordes of followers.

How does SC2 do it?

Im probably the only person who loved Halo competitively who doesn't want 1-50 back. For me part of the reason I dont play the Arena is because Reach as a competitive game (in my opinion) is an absolute joke. Do people really want to go for a 50 when that would basically just involve playing cheap? Abusing AA's and so on.

When I play Reach outside of the 4v4 anniversary playlist I can only enjoy myself if im doing stupid stuff like going for splatters. Having a DMR battle is just boring. If Halo 4 can bring back the good solid gameplay then I would love to see 1-50 back in that game.

daedalius

How does SC2 do it?

Im probably the only person who loved Halo competitively who doesn't want 1-50 back. For me part of the reason I dont play the Arena is because Reach as a competitive game is an absolute joke. Do people really want to go for a 50 when that would basically just involve playing cheap?

When I play Reach outside of the 4v4 anniversary playlist I can only enjoy myself if im doing stupid stuff like going for splatters. Having a DMR battle is just boring. If Halo 4 can bring back the good solid gameplay then I would love to see 1-50 back in that game.

A lot like the Arena, they have divisions and your place within the division. When you're too good for the division, you go up to a higher one. I'm sure Tashi or someone knows better, I think he actually plays, I just know about it from discussions.

The arena code already exists in the game, I don't think they could do 1-50 easily.

I assumee the ranking structure was still in reach just invisible

You'd think it would be assigning you a skill value in some manner, although in some matches I wonder...

A lot like the Arena, they have divisions and your place within the division. When you're too good for the division, you go up to a higher one. I'm sure Tashi or someone knows better, I think he actually plays, I just know about it from discussions.

The arena code already exists in the game, I don't think they could do 1-50 easily.

CyReN

Would it be hard to add Arena rankings w/ having the arena numbers matching up "close" to work in MLG playlist?

Hey You

Really? Setting Game Volume low and Voice Volume high works for me when I play with headphones.

Doesn't work well for me when I have a Kinect and everything coming out of my speakers.

I love Black Ops because I can turn off the music and other game sounds and keep the voice slider up high.

Havok

Ranked was popular in Halo 2 and 3, the Arena rating system isnt popular at all. If a system is good it will be populated.
Nobody gives a shit about Arena because it was abandoned and left to rot with zero support, updates, or emphasis in its own little shitty corner of the game while garbage like default Team Slayer gets rocketed up with credit jackpots. Dissociate the ranking system, which is good, from the way the playlist has been handled, which is bad (bad forge maps and jetpack in the hardcore playlist, good stuff). Division-based rankings are a good thing - if it works for Starcraft which is maybe the most competitively viable game out there, it can work for a middle-of-the-road Halo. Getting a 50 in Halo 3 was far too easy - I'm good at the game, but I'm not good enough that I should be considered in the top 1-5% of all players (I only made it to 49, but that's what overseas Team Slayer will do). At the same time, getting one in Halo 2 was impossible. The guys that make it to 1% Onyx? That's meaningful because percentiles are relative. So yeah, saying the arena rating system isn't popular is meaningless because it was sent to die by people who didn't give a shit or didn't realize it should be the default system in place for their competitive playlists.

No it's different because trueskill not by default a progression ranking system, which is what Bungie made it for Halo 3. They had to do a lot of work on trueskill to bend it to make 1-50 work with trueskill in the game. Reach's trueskill is much closer to how it works by default, it just tries to place you in skill area, you aren't progressing up levels.

feel

Doesn't work well for me when I have a Kinect and everything coming out of my speakers.

I love Black Ops because I can turn off the music and other game sounds and keep the voice slider up high.

You shouldn't use the Kinect to voice chat while online gaming, it's really annoying for everyone else.

daedalius

No it's different because trueskill not by default a progression ranking system, which is what Bungie made it for Halo 3. They had to do a lot of work on trueskill to bend it to make 1-50 work with trueskill in the game. Reach's trueskill is much closer to how it works by default, it just tries to place you in skill area, you aren't progressing up levels.

This is the way it should be anyway.

There isn't any 'progression' in starcraft 2, if you're amazing, you're in the Diamond division. If you stop playing, your rank drops (I think).

In World of Warcraft's Arena, which is ELO based btw, if you crush a bunch of low-level teams, you get bumped up to a much higher standing to play people you are actually on par with.

Progression should be what we have now with credits, your RANK should reflect how GOOD you are. If you're awesome, you should be in Onyx after the amount of games it takes to figure out you should be in Onyx.

Nobody gives a shit about Arena because it was abandoned and left to rot with zero support, updates, or emphasis in its own little shitty corner of the game while garbage like default Team Slayer gets rocketed up with credit jackpots. Dissociate the ranking system, which is good, from the way the playlist has been handled, which is bad. Division-based rankings are a good thing - if it works for Starcraft which is maybe the most competitively viable game out there, it can work for a middle-of-the-road Halo. Getting a 50 in Halo 3 was far too easy - I'm good at the game, but I'm not good enough that I should be considered in the top 1-5% of all players (I only made it to 49, but that's what overseas Team Slayer will do). At the same time, getting one in Halo 2 was impossible. The guys that make it to 1% Onyx? That's meaningful because percentiles are relative. So yeah, saying the arena rating system isn't popular is meaningless because it was sent to die by people who didn't give a shit or didn't realize it should be the default system in place for their competitive playlists.

The arena has a whole lot of flaws in its implimentation though...

Even if I win the majority of my games for the month, if I was unlucky to get matched up with low ranked players, im not going to get a high rank. That coupled with the fact that I cant see my rating until after I play enough games to get rated makes it so I just dont want to bother. You should see your progress up or down as you go for it.

I dont know how starcraft did it, but im willing to bet its pretty different in its implimentation from the arena, across the board even if thats only in minor ways.

daedalius

Even if I win the majority of my games for the month, if I was unlucky to get matched up with low ranked players, im not going to get a high rank. That coupled with the fact that I cant see my rating until after I play enough games to get rated makes it so I just dont want to bother. You should see your progress up or down as you go for it.

I dont know how starcraft did it, but im willing to bet its pretty different in its implimentation from the arena, across the board even if thats only in minor ways.

READ AND BE ENLIGHTENED: http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2010/7/24/analyzing-starcraft-2s-ranking-system.html

They are actually comparing it to Halo trueskill, hah.

couple nice tidbits:

There’s a tension though, and it goes back to matchmaking. We really want you to play ranked matches a lot so that we can accurately determine your skill level and give you close matches. In Kongai, a card game I designed, we did what some other games do by just renaming the modes. The modes used to be called Ranked and Unranked, but now the ranked match is just called Play Game. This shifts the perception of which one is the one you’re supposed to play. While Ranked sounds ominous and serious, Play Game sounds like it’s for everyone.

Starcraft 2 takes a similar approach here. The default mode is ranked, and it’s not named some scary thing, it’s just presented as the normal way to play the game. The screen where you get into a game devotes only a small space in the corner to creating / joining a Custom Game, which is the equivalent of unranked.

First, Starcraft takes the entire bell curve of ranks and divides them into 5 zones: bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and diamond. That’s fine, they are just names of the ranges on the scale so you have some easy way to refer to which part of the spectrum you’re in. Halo 2 did the same thing by breaking the scale into 50 levels. Either way, this is only a convenience of language, so it’s fine.

Next, Starcraft 2 does a kind of weird thing though. Within each of the 5 zones, there are a zillion players, so they break up these players into groups of 100. You are giving a ranking relative to those 100 people. So you might be “#25 in the silver league” for example, which is a polite way of saying “#52 billion overall.” I get the point here, it’s another psychological trick to keep you going. Being ranked out of 100 doesn’t sound so bad, and it’s a small enough set that your ranking won’t change wildly for no reason. If you saw your real overall rank (#52 billion), it would change all the time from everyone else moving around you, even if you did nothing.

Really quite a fascinating take on ranking systems.

Havok

It's win/loss based, if you win the majority of your games, you'll get a high rank. It doesn't weight things based on team skill as far as I know, so I don't know what you're getting at. And the minimum game requirement is something that should have been there the entire time, it ensures that you're being placed properly instead of grinding up to where you should be. The best part is that isn't not a static linear progression. You play and you're placed after 20 games (which isn't that many in the grand scheme of things). Then you move up or down based on your performance.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but 1-50 wasn't even close to perfect either. To argue against one by saying it has flaws in implementation but embrace another system that has just as many? Eh.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How does SC2 do it?

Im probably the only person who loved Halo competitively who doesn't want 1-50 back. For me part of the reason I dont play the Arena is because Reach as a competitive game (in my opinion) is an absolute joke. Do people really want to go for a 50 when that would basically just involve playing cheap? Abusing AA's and so on.

SC2 is different because there's really only 1 "gametype" and 1 "playlist" It lends itself well to that. If you want to play Ranked games in SC2, you hop on the ladder. I mean, there are 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 but 1v1 is what the game is known for, much like 4v4 for Halo. You get split into divisions. Bronze(me lolz), Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, GrandMaster. Within that division, every 100 people are split into smaller divisions. Those smaller divisions are just there to provide a leader board against people. It's a smaller goal to achieve. You get points based on the skill of the opponent you play against. Points add up in a season and in that small division, the most points gets number one. The more you play and win, the more points you get, the higher you move up. If you lose, you lose points. What's really genius is that you get bonus points based on when the last time you played ranked. So today, I just got on to play some ranked. It's been a few days. I have almost 70 bonus points accumulated. You get about 10-15 points per match depending opponent skill level and that's doubled if you have the bonus points. The bonus points encourage you to come back.

I won just now and instead of getting 14 points, I got 28 and I moved up like 4 spots on the leaderboard. And I still have many bonus points to spare too. If you don't play for a little, your rank will drop within the smaller division but they encourage you to come back and play because it will be easier to get your old rank back. To move up in higher divisions like silver and beyond, it's not exactly clear what you have to do. It's not just making it to the top of your mini ladder, and it's not just win/loss record. The game is actively measuring how good of a player you actually are. It's measuring how many actions per minute you're able to achieve, how efficiently you're spending your resources and other things like that. There's a learning curve to this game and your skill isn't measured just against your competition, it's measured against the game itself.

You're basically in a top % of the population, based on the division. Like, Grand Master is top 200 players. Masters is top 2% or something. Also, your account can only play with other players in that region. If you're in NA, you only play other North Americans. Same for Asia(or just Korea, not sure), and Europe.

edit: Ohhh nice find. Gonna read that.

Karl2177

SC2 is different because there's really only 1 "gametype" and 1 "playlist" It lends itself well to that. If you want to play Ranked games in SC2, you hop on the ladder. I mean, there are 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 but 1v1 is what the game is known for, much like 4v4 for Halo. You get split into divisions. Bronze(me lolz), Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, GrandMaster. Within that division, every 100 people are split into smaller divisions. Those smaller divisions are just there to provide a leader board against people. It's a smaller goal to achieve. You get points based on the skill of the opponent you play against. Points add up in a season and in that small division, the most points gets number one. The more you play and win, the more points you get, the higher you move up. If you lose, you lose points. What's really genius is that you get bonus points based on when the last time you played ranked. So today, I just got on to play some ranked. It's been a few days. I have almost 70 bonus points accumulated. You get about 10-15 points per match depending opponent skill level and that's doubled if you have the bonus points. The bonus points encourage you to come back.

I won just now and instead of getting 14 points, I got 28 and I moved up like 4 spots on the leaderboard. And I still have many bonus points to spare too. If you don't play for a little, your rank will drop within the smaller division but they encourage you to come back and play because it will be easier to get your old rank back. To move up in higher divisions like silver and beyond, it's not exactly clear what you have to do. It's not just making it to the top of your mini ladder, and it's not just win/loss record. The game is actively measuring how good of a player you actually are. It's measuring how many actions per minute you're able to achieve, how efficiently you're spending your resources and other things like that. There's a learning curve to this game and your skill isn't measured just against your competition, it's measured against the game itself.

You're basically in a top % of the population, based on the division. Like, Grand Master is top 200 players. Masters is top 2% or something. Also, your account can only play with other players in that region. If you're in NA, you only play other North Americans. Same for Asia(or just Korea, not sure), and Europe.

edit: Ohhh nice find. Gonna read that.
You should have seen me at the end of season 3. I had close to 1500 in bonus pool points in my 4s random.

What I like about the SC2 system over the Arena system is that it ranks you as a team. For example if Tashi and I were to go and ladder in a 2v2, that rank for Tashi and I would be different from the rank for Andrew(my friend) and me. I would love to see team integration into the ranks. Another example would be for those that go in alone. I'm Gold in my 4v4 random, which means I go in alone into a 4v4 playlist. I'm Silver with a few of my friends in 4v4 as well.

Now personally, I don't think 1v1s in Halo mean nearly as much as they do in SC2. I find Halo's true competitive sweet spot to be 2v2, with 4v4 being a close second. If I could have control of the playlists and how they work, I would have competitive be FFA, 2v2, 4v4, and BTB. Then throw everything else into a social or community hopper. Competitive would be Arena ranked.

CyReN

More Halo talk tonight!

"A very special Behind The Crosshairs will be going down tonight at 630pm EST. Get to know the personalities who will be on The Great Debate!" -Gandhi

More Halo talk tonight!

"A very special Behind The Crosshairs will be going down tonight at 630pm EST. Get to know the personalities who will be on The Great Debate!" -Gandhi

Thanks for the update. Will tune in. Over the past year, the MLG community has tried to remedy their attitude between themselves and between the non competitive Halo community. It's good to see us all come together as I am also part of the MLG community.

Tashi

You should have seen me at the end of season 3. I had close to 1500 in bonus pool points in my 4s random.

What I like about the SC2 system over the Arena system is that it ranks you as a team. For example if Tashi and I were to go and ladder in a 2v2, that rank for Tashi and I would be different from the rank for Andrew(my friend) and me. I would love to see team integration into the ranks. Another example would be for those that go in alone. I'm Gold in my 4v4 random, which means I go in alone into a 4v4 playlist. I'm Silver with a few of my friends in 4v4 as well.

Now personally, I don't think 1v1s in Halo mean nearly as much as they do in SC2. I find Halo's true competitive sweet spot to be 2v2, with 4v4 being a close second. If I could have control of the playlists and how they work, I would have competitive be FFA, 2v2, 4v4, and BTB. Then throw everything else into a social or community hopper. Competitive would be Arena ranked.

Right, I like that about the system as well but I don't think it could work well with Halo. Halo is inherently a team game, whether you think it's 2v2 or 4v4, whichever. It's just harder to get a consistent team for matchmaking together in Halo. I mean, unless you're on an MLG team, how often do you really play with only the same group of guys. In SC2, it's a bit easier. It might be cool, as like something to see, like a cool stat on Waypoint. Who's the best group of players you play with. Wait, doesn't Bnet do that actually? I'm not sure. But as a hard stat, something to be ranked against, I dislike it.

I agree with you that 1v1's don't mean a whole lot in Halo. It's the team games that measure a person's real skill.

More Halo talk tonight!

Awesome, will watch. We'll be sure to link it here when it comes on too. Some really interesting stuff.

daedalius

Thanks for the update. Will tune in. Over the past year, the MLG community has tried to remedy their attitude between themselves and between the non competitive Halo community. It's good to see us all come together as I am also part of the MLG community.

I'm not part of the MLG community, but I would love to see divisions and rankings for players easily on their tag in the competitive playlists, not to mention get tighter matches.

Fighting quitters all the time is pretty meh, get a good 4v4 like 1/8 games or so; and that's probably just competitive for me, not who I play with, haha.

What if you could just build your own leaderboard?

You name it (presumably after your group/clan) and then pick which playlist it tracks.

Players pick which 3 leaderboards they want to subscribe to. There is no limit to how many players a leaderboard will support (or set the limit to 500 or 1,000 at least).

Once you subscribe you have to play 10 games in the playlist it follows to qualify for ranking.

The leaderboard takes all of its qualified players and ranks them by trueskill*. Ties are allowed. Subscribers can play more games to change their trueskill value.

The leaderboard resets every 2 months, each time requiring 10 more games to qualify. Trueskill values do not reset, of course.

GrifballHub.com Leaderboard
Playlist tracked: Grifball
1. PlayerA (Trueskill 1800)
2. PlayerB (Trueskill 1795)
3. PlayerC (Trueskill 1750)
3. PlayerD (Trueskill 1750)
etc.

HaloGAF Classic Leaderboard
Playlist tracked: Anniversary Classic
1. ncsuDuncan (Trueskill 9999)
2. everyone else

*I have no idea how trueskill values work. Use some other value if that makes more sense, I just want custom leaderboards and clans.

daedalius

Right, I like that about the system as well but I don't think it could work well with Halo. Halo is inherently a team game, whether you think it's 2v2 or 4v4, whichever. It's just harder to get a consistent team for matchmaking together in Halo. I mean, unless you're on an MLG team, how often do you really play with only the same group of guys. In SC2, it's a bit easier. It might be cool, as like something to see, like a cool stat on Waypoint. Who's the best group of players you play with. Wait, doesn't Bnet do that actually? I'm not sure. But as a hard stat, something to be ranked against, I dislike it.

I agree with you that 1v1's don't mean a whole lot in Halo. It's the team games that measure a person's real skill.

Well, the way this works in WoW's arena, is a player always has a hidden-matchmaking score associated with them, so no matter who else you are playing with, your team matchmaking-rating will be impacted.

In practice I guess this would mean if you have a really good/highly ranked player on your team, with a bunch of low ranked players, it will definitely be taking into account that high-ranked player for a composite team ranking. Rankings in WoW arena are based totally on win/loss as well. Its also a bit simpler than SC2's, which I personally like better.

Wasn't Halo 2 ELO?

Thanks for the explanation of the Starcraft system guys, not going to lie after work its difficult to process it, but ill have a proper look later.

From initial glances though it seems to share the same uncertainty which I dont like with Reach's model. Its very vague and near impossible to tell where the boundries are. Hell you dont know if the people you are playing against are any good so you could play 5 games, win them all and still end up in a lower division. (I know its win/loss based, but trueskill is relative to your opponents right? You wont rank up very much for beating someone with a low trueskill).

When your relying on matchmaking and a small population pool, you cant always expect to get good matches.

How many games do you have to play to be placed in a starcraft division?

ElRenoRaven

So again closest thing we have a Bungie OT. lol

Bungie posted this on their facebook.

Bungie Facebook Page said:
Thanks to the Aleph One dev community, Marathon is now easier than ever to install, works on Mac, Windows, and Linux, and includes a bunch of new graphical bells and whistles to satisfy your undying thirst for carnage.

AND IT'S FREE!

http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

They're Zip files so just unzip then click the exe files to play. I have to say the improvements they've made are nice. The simplicity is nice too because now everyone can play them without jumping through hoops like in the past.

Tashi

I'm not part of the MLG community, but I would love to see divisions and rankings for players easily on their tag in the competitive playlists, not to mention get tighter matches.

Fighting quitters all the time is pretty meh, get a good 4v4 like 1/8 games or so; and that's probably just competitive for me, not who I play with, haha.

You actually bring up a really good point. Players will care about their ranks and quitting will decrease.

Why? I don't see the point of leaderboards or rankings constantly resetting.

Well in my example, the playlist may have changed.

But really, if you're at the top of the leaderboard you should have to defend that rank every now and then. Where's the fun in getting settled into a number that won't change?

Maybe if the game did a better job of showing off your previous rankings so people can get a sense of your competitive history. Reach only shows Arena rankings one season back, from what I recall.

I actually like that Starcraft model Tashi described, where you get points for winning matches, but can get double points if you've been idle for a while. You still have to stay active to earn the most points, but it's not impossible to catch up if you've been away.

It's like everyone has magically forgotten that 1-50 as it was implemented in both Halo 2 and Halo 3 was really bad, really inelastic, and a pretty terrible gauge of how good people were.

I mean I'd love a good ranking system, don't get me wrong.

1-50 is not it.

daedalius

Take THAT Fronk!

Also, lolwut.

That guy is posting plenty of garbage in the 'bring back ranks' thread too.

Not surprising.

LOL HE BALD

/facepalm

It's like everyone has magically forgotten that 1-50 as it was implemented in both Halo 2 and Halo 3 was really bad, really inelastic, and a pretty terrible gauge of how good people were.

1-50 is not it.

Well, arena is a well designed system, its just in a horrible little corner, woefully under-managed, playlist that no one cares about and has very little visibility.

1-50 is not it.

Despite its obvious flaws, I still prefer the Halo 2 system. I'm sure many agree with me.

I hope (;-_-)

Homeboyd

Hmmm, I can't seem to get acces to those posts. Says I don't have the permission to acces those pages, weird. I can load the forums and threads just fine. I had the same problem a few days ago.

Anyone else has a similair problem?
All the time man.. sometimes reloading works.. sometimes singing in/out then reloading works..

Happens to me all the time.

Homeboyd

lol I like the community over at Waypoint for the most part...

I know it's not near as big or active as b.net (yet) but there's a bunch of helpful and pretty hilarious folks over there.

Don't worry Gaf, you're still the wind beneath my jetpack.

Made things like sprint/evade more annoying. Never before in Halo has sprinting WITHOUT FIRING toward an enemy firing at you been such viable and EFFECTIVE tactic.
I'd say that evade and sprint are more the problem than damage gating.

I understand the frustration with variable damage. I don't like it. But it still gives players much more useful information for encounters. Halo has never been only counting shots. Grenades are the biggest wild card, doing variable damage, and you can take small, less accountable types of damage with automatic weapons. Knowing that a melee or headshot cannot kill me or my opponent until I see the pop or hear the clang is a godsend for action-intense encounters.

Have you guys played the TU gametype? There are all sorts of confusing ways to die while you still have shields. Let's say a grenade hits you and takes off 3/8 of your shield. Will a melee kill you? How about 1/2? 5/8? 17/32? You have no fucking idea because it's just a single-color bar. Did you take health damage and pick up a health pack? Do you actually have that health? Why are they just rolling this shit out?

Top Bottom