• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

So you might remember a few weeks ago when ncsuDuncan was having fun parodying Disney songs (a process apparently he was still at last night) which Tomasooie kindly recorded? Well I was interested in putting together a higher quality version. So I did.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I proudly present*

cRqFJ.jpg

Download Link

*Presentation actually made with very limited pride and a great deal of trepidation.

Many thanks to Duncan for allowing me to slightly rewrite his lyrics, and Tomasooie for recording them and getting them over to me.

Oh and if it's bad then blame my crappy mixing skills.

wwm0nkey

Two things I think Halo 4 needs when it comes to MM and the online community

-Community/Clans (Basically the new Mario Kart feature)
-Custom game server browser

KevinRo

I never really played CE multiplayer back in the day, mostly stuck to co-op, but man is Prisoner/Solitary a crummy map. Yeesh.

To be fair, Prisoner and most of the original Halo:CE maps were never a good fit for 4v4. Excluding Blood Gulch and Sidewinder, most of them were best suited for 1v1 and 2v2 games.

The grenade launching and weapon grabbing through geometry in Prisoner usually helped those on the ground, but still the high ground always had the advantage. I still remember that weird spawn-trap near the overshield. You could just wait for your opponents to spawn there and snipe them silly.

I think they should add plasma grenades as the default grenades in Solitary. It might not be true to the remake but it helps with the nade spamming, and adds an extra element to the gameplay by allowing people to grenade the sniper and rocket launcher down with a well placed grenade.

FyreWulff

Alternately, they are simply doing their best to respond to community feedback

Which community? The Reach community, or the Halo 2 community? The community wants them to actually at least pretend they care about the Halo 3 players and update the playlists. I didn't quite hear people clamoring to be able to fire the DMR at full speed with zero bloom.

I'm a cynical bastard, but I really think that's what they are doing. The month after CEA hit (a few weeks, really), they're already rolling changes into other playlists. Could they be more aggressive? Sure.

TU's been out longer than that. The only new element was the Halo 1 pistol which was blatantly held back for market timing purposes. I know Google has diminished the meaning of how long a beta should last, but they need to make decisions at some point.

I also think the direction the changes lean will point to where Halo 4 is going. Which is a pretty good thing. This is distinct from using Reach as a Halo 4 test bed, which is a pretty silly comment. The Halo 4 test bed is their Halo 4 testing; they don't have nearly the options to tinker with Reach like that.

A game designed around bloom and no bleedthrough suddenly gets gametypes where bloom is removed and bleedthrough comes with the full package whether we like it or not. This is called "343 is fishing for opinions on what to do with these elements for Halo 4".

Maybe, just maybe, they're just doing their best to respond to to their community and to try and do right by them.

They are trying to do right by the community, but they're trying to be the cool uncle and please all the communities at the same time which just ends up with half baked, half finished implementations of Halo 2 worship forcibly grafted onto Reach post-ship when they could have had the full classic suite in Halo 4 since Halo 4 is not pressed to discs yet.

(You know how successful I think they're being. But that doesn't mean I don't notice 343 is at least trying. Look at the cards they've been dealt.)

They were dealt a 95% functional pre-made game where the previous developer had kept the community warmed up with monthly new gametypes, playlists, super jackpot weekends, and better support for maps they didn't even make (Defiant) than 343 has shown. Since they have taken over we have gotten no new gametypes, a title update that fixed no bugs and actually added new ones, more multiplayer achievements that disrupt the play of the game, and a complete burial (to borrow a wrestling term) of the Noble Map Pack. At least when something didn't work out under the Bungie era, they just went "well, that didn't work out" and deleted the element that didn't work where possible. Armor lock didn't work out? Delete it. The TU addresses none of the problems with Armor Lock, it still acts as a "pause" button to borrow some people's opinion of it. It was a change for the sake of a change to make people feel like 343 was doing something, and we still have the extremely overpowered Evade escape completely untouched and present in gametypes where it doesn't belong.

They acknowledge the banshee is overpowered and broken and "out of scope" of the 1.1 TU and CONTINUE to put it on new maps! When certain equipment didn't work out for Halo 3, you didn't see Bungie continue to try to include it on DLC maps, those pieces of equipment were just straight up never included in the new base variants of those maps. I don't know why we're being forced to deal with banshee rampages on Breakneck for yet another month when The Community has near unanimously said they don't want it on maps in it's broken state. You would have figured someone would have paid attention to the reaction from the default Highlands weapon timers and configuration. It's like everyone at 343 has forgotten that the Banshee was removed from Headlong in Halo 2 matchmaking for solid reasons, and even in the rare gametypes that it was present in, it was also 1/10th as powerful as it is in Reach.

I understand the legal wills involved, but out of the 5 companies involved in Halo: Anniversary, the 3 that did the majority of the work did not have their logos included in the bootup of the game. Even if lawyers could not see eye to eye on Bungie being there, at least Certain Affinity and Saber should have gotten top billing. It's not like it's beyond Microsoft either, as Gearbox was in the bootup for Halo PC and 4J is in the bootup for Perfect Dark. As it stands, 343 and Microsoft are just using the table that Bungie set with a bunch of different dishes that they made to set on that table, and are now reheating content from the Bungie freezer in order to build up their brand name with the Halo playerbase.

As it is, unless we see any new Megalo gametypes by February, I remain unconvinced that anything beyond a holding pattern for Halo 4 is in store for Reach beyond that point, and the Community Cartographers are to be used as anything but "well, at least we tried" attempt at community content integration post-takeover. Please tell me that anyone beyond the TU programmer at 343 actually knows how to make Megalo gametypes. Instead of implementing hooks to sell us Windows 7 Phones via ATLAS, implement hooks so that we can make Megalo gametypes via XNA. Create a new position and put someone on it who's title is "Legacy Halo Title Support Lead" and give them a small support team and a red phone to Bungie's engineers, and this person's entire job is to support and update Halo 3 and Reach when 4 takes over. (and then 4 when 5 takes over, etc) Those people paid just as much money for 3 as they did for Reach and 4, and they're paying just as much for Live as the Reach players are and the 4 players will be. They're still paying for DLC, too.

I drop the subject for now since it probably seems like I'm just piling on after the reaction to the Bulletin, but both Microsoft and 343 could do much better. Microsoft could actually throw the money behind their main franchise and 343 would do well to actually commit to futzing around with another developer's shipped and finished game.

Some elements of the update are decent but:

Another opportunity to remove the terrible evade from objective goes by. What do they see in that AA that we don't?

The implementation of the tu gametype in multi-team will make AR to beatdown rushing endemic. If only we could have 85% bloom with no bleedthrough (the perfect mix for Reach imo).

Will Team Snipers EVER receive an update? New maps are needed, radar needs to be added, the pistol makes a mockery of the gametype sometimes...

And happy birthday TAWPGUN! I hope you have a great day. :^)

So you might remember a few weeks ago when ncsuDuncan was having fun parodying Disney songs (a process apparently he was still at last night) which Tomasooie kindly recorded? Well I was interested in putting together a higher quality version. So I did.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I proudly present*

http://i.imgur.com/cRqFJ.jpg[IMG]
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/?usmedo9c62qd3ie]Download Link[url]

*Presentation actually made with very limited pride and a great deal of trepidation.

Many thanks to Duncan for allowing me to slightly rewrite his lyrics, and Tomasooie for recording them and getting them over to me.

Oh and if it's bad then blame my crappy mixing skills.[/QUOTE]
I'll give a try. It will be the definitve version of the Song.

Striker

As if vanilla Reach was rolled out in perfection, get outta here.
No Halo game was. Halo 2 was decked out early with a hitscan BR that had a terrible spread. Got fixed, and was terrific. Halo 3 shipped with a ridiculous melee/lunge and they attempted to fix this by dealing out simultaneous deaths. Both choices were remarkably bad, and that melee situation is the worst in the series. No one wants that shit.

The whole idea of giving aid to the player, i.e. - boarding and getting stunned/unable to get out, exchanging deaths with melee/shots, slower movement speed, adding things to escape death (regen, bubble shield, evade, armor lock), these choices are bold reasons why the series has fallen.

Some elements of the update are decent but:

Another opportunity to remove the terrible evade from objective goes by. What do they see in that AA that we don't?
That's what I don't get. Evade and the Banshee maneuverability are my biggest gripes, and both have gone untouched. Whatevs.

heckfu

Banned
I'm gonna post this here, it deserves to be read.

Why Halo is more important than COD and BF-OXM

That's a really solid article, if a little biased. A thing they almost got to but never touched is the commitment one would need to play halo.

I think one of the best things is that there are quitting penalties (if sometimes buggy) because it keeps the level of Halo players more committed to playing rather than hopping in and out of games until they find a group of scrubs they're better than or a map they like.

Damage bleedthrough was a really terrible idea to implement for Reach. There was a perfect feedback system for shields that's now been rendered useless. It's a real shame that time was wasted working on that when a host of other glitches/problems that were more important got pushed down the list. Seriously, who gives a fuck if your first melee will only pop a shield when you have a huge hairy ballsack of the Banshee forcefully pressing down on your face with every map that it's in? I'm at least glad to hear that the pistol has been toned down a bit ; that was some ridiculous shit.

daedalius

Gah still have to deal with evade and the obnoxious banshee.

I see evade, and don't use it, because it feels so cheap.

Bleh.

Enjoyed that OXM article, its a shame there are probably so many casuals that just think of Halo as AR Charge/beatdown as the depth of gameplay. You'd think they would wonder why they get trashed so badly in multiplayer if someone decent is there.

ElRenoRaven

Two things I think Halo 4 needs when it comes to MM and the online community

-Community/Clans (Basically the new Mario Kart feature)
-Custom game server browser

As much as we both want that neither will ever happen because stubbornness. MS fell in love with matchmaking after Bungie showed it could work in Halo 2 and they sure as hell won't change it now. I've been lobbying for a custom game server browser since before Halo 2 came out. You can have both that and matchmaking but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they just won't do it. Damn stubborn assholes.

Why do you want halo at #1 so badly? Look at it like music, there's shit that hits #1 but in a couple months no one will remember the songs yet there will be classics that never reached #1. Halo combat has more depth than the modern call of dutys.

Stop trying to come up with ideas to keep halo at 1 and instead be concerned with what will make halo fun for people who love halo.

Havok

Damage bleedthrough is fine in Reach. Just like it was fine in Halo CE-3
It was fine. We got an improvement - Reach's feedback system is easily the best in the series. Why should we regress? Just because something worked before doesn't mean it needs to be that way forever when a better system comes along.

Why do you want halo at #1 so badly? Look at it like music, there's shit that hits #1 but in a couple months no one will remember the songs yet there will be classics that never reached #1. Halo combat has more depth than the modern call of dutys.

Stop trying to come up with ideas to keep halo at 1 and instead be concerned with what will make halo fun for people who love halo.
Because the quality of matches in this game is dependent on having a healthy population of mixed skill levels, which is at risk of disappearing when the game drops off the activity lists. Some very core playlists are already at risk of getting axed because nobody but a tiny fraction of the core is still playing them, and once they're gone there's nothing else like them. Getting a decent skill match is nigh impossible at some levels these days already. It's not that people are interested in a pissing match, it's that the game is at its lowest population right now and that's a scary prospect.

daedalius

Would prefer bleedthrough on melee, not as much on shooting. Dunno how easy that is to distinguish for them in the programming though.

Also, Tashi friends complaining about finding groups in WoW before dungeon finder, lulz. "Omg you'd have to actually talk to people in the city"

ElRenoRaven

Would prefer bleedthrough on melee, not as much on shooting. Dunno how easy that is to distinguish for them in the programming though.

Also, Tashi friends complaining about finding groups in WoW before dungeon finder, lulz. "Omg you'd have to actually talk to people in the city"

Dungeon finder was a great addition. Course sadly the morons found it and then it went to shit fast. GO GO GO. Then dumbass pulls ahead of the tank wiping the group. If it's not that then you have a good group and your almost done when for no reason you get kicked so they can bring a friend in for loot from a certain boss.

kylej

Banned
"If you happen to be in the habit of always turning off music, that's fine, but giving you that control is like preparing a gourmet meal and putting salt, pepper and ketchup on the table," O'Donnell says."

There aren't enough laughing emoticons in the world.

Wouldn't know, been shitting on kids for the past hour.

iseesmm(1).gif

As much as we both want that neither will ever happen because stubbornness. MS fell in love with matchmaking after Bungie showed it could work in Halo 2 and they sure as hell won't change it now. I've been lobbying for a custom game server browser since before Halo 2 came out. You can have both that and matchmaking but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they just won't do it. Damn stubborn assholes.

If a custom game server is implemented in Halo 4, I'd like it to be like in BF3's server browser. I never have to play the maps/gametypes I hate. But for it to work well, there should be limited options for searching or else there would be too few games to actually join. And no join in progress, I never want to see that in a Halo game.

FyreWulff

All versions of Brink got clan support today

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/sneak-peek-clans-and-tournaments-update-brink

- Create your own Brink clan, allowing you to manage everything from your name and logo to recruitment status, and your members
- If running your own clan isn't your thing, join an existing squad that's currently recruiting
- Fight for position on Brink's Global Clan Ladder by challenging other clans and defeating them in exciting clan matches
- Enter your clan into tournaments with unique rule sets and map rotations

More like Facebrink

kylej

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAPZAai58U&t=5m45s

Ninja put up his thoughts about ranks, pretty similar to Flamesword but I'm happy he took the time to do it.

Gotta say, you can hate on MLG, and lord knows I hate on some parts of the Halo community, but I'm proud people from all over are coming together and offering their suggestions to try to revive the Halo playerbase. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Will 343 totally ignore it? Probably. But it still feels good, man.

Damage bleedthrough is fine in Reach. Just like it was fine in Halo CE-3

My major issue with Damage Bleedthrough in Reach is it fundamentally reverses a conscious design decision made by the original game. Game types play significantly different (in my opinion) when there is damage bleedthrough, and it is hard to adjust style of play when the multiple gametypes are matched willy-nilly in the playlists.

This also hearkens to the issue of playlist mismanagement with different playlists all having different rules (bloom changes, speed changes, etc) without it being clearly defined on the playlist menu.

Tawpgun

BF3 has a server browser and its amazing. Gears of War had player hosted servers. Just add a server browser on top of matchmaking. These custom games would net you 0 credits/exp/whatever. That way matchmaking still has the incentive.

It was fine. We got an improvement - Reach's feedback system is easily the best in the series. Why should we regress? Just because something worked before doesn't mean it needs to be that way forever when a better system comes along.
There's a difference between feedback systems and gameplay mechanics. The shield popping, shield size, color, brightness, etc, these are all feedback systems. But the fact that you can unload on someone, get them to a sliver of shield, and then when you both melee each other you're on even ground? No. Did not like that. Made things like sprint/evade more annoying. Never before in Halo has sprinting WITHOUT FIRING toward an enemy firing at you been such viable and EFFECTIVE tactic.

ElRenoRaven

BF3 has a server browser and its amazing. Gears of War had player hosted servers. Just add a server browser on top of matchmaking. These custom games would net you 0 credits/exp/whatever. That way matchmaking still has the incentive.

See I'd be fine with that even. If I could play the game the way I wanted on a server that I know is going to have the gametypes and maps I want with decent people who aren't assholes I'd gladly give up all my credits for that.

Havok

There's a difference between feedback systems and gameplay mechanics. The shield popping, shield size, color, brightness, etc, these are all feedback systems. But the fact that you can unload on someone, get them to a sliver of shield, and then when you both melee each other you're on even ground? No. Did not like that. Made things like sprint/evade more annoying. Never before in Halo has sprinting WITHOUT FIRING toward an enemy firing at you been such viable and EFFECTIVE tactic.
I should have been clearer - I'm fine with melee bleedthrough, and I should have specified that. But headshot bleedthrough is a serious regression from what we had in normal-ass Reach.

KevinRo

My major issue with Damage Bleedthrough in Reach is it fundamentally reverses a conscious design decision made by the original game. Game types play significantly different (in my opinion) when there is damage bleedthrough, and it is hard to adjust style of play when the multiple gametypes are matched willy-nilly in the playlists.

This also hearkens to the issue of playlist mismanagement with different playlists all having different rules (bloom changes, speed changes, etc) without it being clearly defined on the playlist menu.

That's why I believe there should be only 4 options in the multiplayer menu with each option having their own respective playlists and ranks.

Vanilla Reach

- Default Vanilla Reach. Basically the settings the developers intended the game to be played. The playlists will be the default playlists we see now excluding the ones I'm about to name for their respective options. Has Ranking.

Anniversary Reach

- Reach with no bloom and pistol starts. Basically the same anniversary playlists we see now. Has Ranking.

Beta Reach

- Beta settings for a single playlist that helps determine in a deliberate pragmatic approach to see what can be changed to Vanilla Reach. Allows users to give empirical data to the developer to see what needs to be changed. No ranking.

Social Reach

- A Social browsing portal. No playlists needed because you allow the users to search for gametypes. Will not be ranked. Playlists like The Living Dead, MLG, Griffball will not need to be listed for this is where they can search for those custom games.

Tawpgun

I should have been clearer - I'm fine with melee bleedthrough, and I should have specified that. But headshot bleedthrough is a serious regression from what we had in normal-ass Reach.
I guess I agree with you there, but I saw it as a necessary evil to get rid of melee bleedthrough.

Besides, this only affects Anni game modes. A 5 shot DMR is still going to knock shields off the 4th shot and kill the 5th right?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Lol I was so lost in that conversation. Never played WoW

Play exclusively Anniversary and TU gametypes and get used to it. Problem solved.

Havok

I guess I agree with you there, but I saw it as a necessary evil to get rid of melee bleedthrough.

Besides, this only affects Anni game modes. A 5 shot DMR is still going to knock shields off the 4th shot and kill the 5th right?
I can't remember how the TU DMR functioned, it's been a while since I've played it. Also, the new TU pistol is specifically cited as not popping shields before the fatal fifth shot, so it's not just Anniversary.

I have to imagine there's a way to distinguish between the two bleedthrough types, since it's already different from the existing explosive and sniper headshot bleedthrough.

Play exclusively Anniversary and TU gametypes and get used to it. Problem solved.

The problem isn't just the gametypes, it's the playlists that can contain multiple gametypes. A given playlist should not mix gametypes with differing mechanics (I'm looking at Anniversary Squad Slayer (?) in particular).

daedalius

I think Ninja's rant got cut off at the end there.

Was entertaining to watch, heh.

Definitely need ranks/divisions/something to return to competitive playlists.

Striker

For one, I think the Onyx system is pretty good. The population just isn't there to support it. Hence his claim about his brother is null and void.

Secondly, "... it opens up for buying that 50". Yeah, exactly what Frankie and the rest of 343 wants. More of that shit. That's precisely why Bungie ditched that broken 1-50 garbage in Halo 3. It was easy as hell to climb, and was the recipe for second account boosting.

If they're going to even think about making another 1-50, make it a god damn challenge to climb. If somebody is a 50 or even in the upper 40's, it should honorary and not some section that is shared by hundreds and thousands of other players.

The problem isn't just the gametypes, it's the playlists that can contain multiple gametypes. A given playlist should not mix gametypes with differing mechanics (I'm looking at Anniversary Squad Slayer (?) in particular).

Isn't Anniversary Squad all TU and CE gametypes? I've never played it, I only play Classic with some Anniversary BTB mixed in.

Secondly, "... it opens up for buying that 50". Yeah, exactly what Frankie and the rest of 343 wants. More of that shit. That's precisely why Bungie ditched that broken 1-50 garbage in Halo 3. It was easy as hell to climb, and was the recipe for second account boosting.

It's a necessary evil bro.

daedalius

Wouldn't the top 1% in Onyx be more prestigious than a climb to 50? As long as the population is there to support it... like a certain other game with divisions and percentage ranks within that division *cough* starcraft 2 *cough*.

I don't care about artificially lengthening the climb, the best players should be in the top 5% of Onyx, and everyone should be shooting to get to the top of their own division, or into the next.

Louis Wu

Huh. Well that's too bad. My main beef is with the audio levels in Anniversary though, which Marty had nothing to do with of course. The dialog audio is just way too low.
Interesting tidbit about this, from Cody Miller (who just recorded all of these in 5.1 surround sound):

Cody Miller said:
In Halo 3, dialogue from characters on screen is on the left, right and center channels, while on Anniversary it's only on the center channel. Maybe that explains why some people are hearing the dialogue softly.
Maybe you could use this info to fix the problem locally?

Isn't Anniversary Squad all TU and CE gametypes? I've never played it, I only play Classic with some Anniversary BTB mixed in.

You are correct. Anniversary squad is:

Contains Anniversary Classic and TU game types
Maps: Battle Canyon, Beaver Creek, Solitary, Prisoner, Penance, Damnation, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Team Slayer, Team Slayer DMRs, Team Slayer Pro, Elite slayer, Assault, Multiflag, 1 Flag DMRs, Stockpile, Crazy King DMRs, Neutral Bomb, Headhunter, Hot Potato DMRs, Territories

I personally don't like that the two are mixed together. But that may be more that I can't wrap my mind around the changes between the two while a map+gametype is loading in the lobby.

The MLG settings still differed a significant bit in Halo 2 though too if I recall correctly. I definitely don't remember any dual-wielding in the MLG settings lol. Eventually the "Rifles" playlists were rolled out, but they were still a bit different as well if I'm not mistaken. It was such a long time ago so correct me if I'm wrong.

You could dual wield in H2 MLG. The dual needlers were on Sanctuary. They did use a setting that replaced the SMG's on maps with BR or Pistols I think. Can't remember what it was called.

MLG does get hurt the more they deviate from the default settings of the game. You just simply lose some of your potential mainstream audience or players when the settings are significantly different, maps have dramatic changes to them, and most of all not using the developer maps. I think Reach has really been hurt by this. If you go into MLG, a majority of your games are going to be on gray world.

I think it's possible. Everyone can play the Halo 4 beta and get a really good idea of what the game is. Fuckin make some Pro players who could be voted upon and killa kc and whoever comes up with the maps, make them sign an NDA, let them participate in the at home play tests, Epsilon and all that shit. The game will come out around the fall, the 2013 season will start around April. There's plenty of time. Another thing is that the turnaround time for gametypes to be put in to matchmaking needs to be quicker. It can't be at a specific date every month. Shit needs to happen within a few days MAX. I'm talking, MLG makes an article releasing MLG v5, and they're in matchmaking that same day. There's NOTHING worse than wanting to play MLG but you don't want to go in the playlist because of the old gametypes. I don't want to play that. Or the community discovers a way to break a map and people are essentially cheating on that map. They're voting on it just to gain ranks. That shit needs to be replaced immediately.

I just played tonight and what happened? I spent a few hours playing and got like 3 or 4 no bloom no sprint matches played. That shit shouldn't happen.

Well that would require the playlist management/implementation systems to be different in Halo 4 than in Reach or Halo 3. Bungie or 343 has never gotten into how it all technically works, but making playlist changes is not copy pasting gametypes and maps, checking if it works real quick, and boom, update the playlist.

Hopefully 343 has found out a way to code Halo 4 so that playlist management is much more hassle free than it currently is, allowing them to role out changes much faster.

Top Bottom