• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

TheOddOne

Oh, for the love of god, don't post pictures of both MJOLNIR designs so close together. I'm trying to stay positive here!
TrollFaceDancing.gif

How about we get a BR/DMR hybrid? I know Rainbow Six Vegas had a function where you held down the X button and an instant tweak could be made to change the firing rate for a single weapon.

Or do it like Battlefied 3 where you hit down on the d-pad and the firing rate changes. That way you stick to one weapon model, but it can function in two different ways, on the fly, for people who enjoy using a DMR or a BR.
I wouldn't mind seeing a Battle Rifle that turned to single shots when scoped in (2x scope, of course). It would be a great utility weapon (as guns like that should be) and be a good excuse to get rid of the Assault Rifle once and for all.

wwm0nkey

I wouldn't mind seeing a Battle Rifle that turned to single shots when scoped in (2x scope, of course). It would be a great utility weapon (as guns like that should be) and be a good excuse to get rid of the Assault Rifle once and for all.

Changing the mode of fire was one thing all games should have taken from Rainbow Six but so far the only game that did was Battlefield 3.

Then again all developers should have copied ChromeHounds online mode but thats never going to happen either :(

monome

Oh, for the love of god, don't post pictures of both MJOLNIR designs so close together. I'm trying to stay positive here!

Me like the redesign. Makes for a fitter, more jason-bourny MC. Smaller visor (or is it the angle?) makes him look mean and less of an astronaut. I do sense Halo 4 moving the franchise towards a more dramatic (read tragic) story. I hope The reclaimer trilogy becomes to the original one what the Empire Strikes Back is to A New Hope (bigger in scope, yet personnal, mysterious and menacing).

343rd day of the year. There should be celebrations or a party today.

Does swinging my dick xbox Reach controller and Nokia windows phone around makes for a celebration?
no one from Halogaf wants to play with me online :-(

By the way Slightly Live, i love your site and dig your mythos research.

I pray for better armor. And yes, 343, that includes the "space diaper."

He needs the space for his engineered pro-pipe, right.

This man speaks the truth.

I pray for better armor. And yes, 343, that includes the "space diaper."

Can't wait for whatever 343 has in store for us today.

wwm0nkey

Who says that is the only time his armor is going to change in Halo 4 ;)

Seriously now that we know WHY it changed and how you go about doing it there might be a mechanic in the game to change/upgrade the armor. Kind of like the upgrades in Metroid.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Armor change smarmor change, there are more important things to discuss. Let's not pull a DmC fan base or some shit.

monome

Seriously now that we know WHY it changed and how you go about doing it there might be a mechanic in the game to change/upgrade the armor. Kind of like the upgrades in Metroid.

Stop, stop, stop. So weak, so begging for this. Forunner additions FTW
pretty much a given during the course of the Trilogy and I wonder if they will let us play as another character too

Armor change smarmor change, there are more important things to discuss. Let's not pull a DmC fan base or some shit.

only Halo news today sofar. sorry to derail though.

If Master Chief turns into Robert Pattinson.... shit is gonna go down between me and Fronkie.

Halo, the Twinkler trilogy.

I'm not seeing the "mean," nor the "astronaut" in either of the designs.
The new design looks really inconsistent - some parts of it look much sleeker, simplified, while other parts are cluttered and much more mechanical.
To me, the missing bits of its outer shell make it look more weak, rather than fit. They also do some really weird things with perceived proportions.
I would really like to finally see what it looks like in-game, I'm hoping it's just awkward promo art.

Been said to death during Halofest that version is not final. the posture with the head down makes for MC giving his nasty look pose. Big visor is reminiscent to me of an astronaut helmet with very large visor. As for the assemblage, Iguess marriying new ideas while staying true is a difficult task.

Flipyap

Me like the redesign. Makes for a fitter, more jason-bourny MC. Smaller viso makes him look mean and less of an astronaut. I do sense Halo 4 moving the franchise towards a more dramatic (read tragic) story.
The new design looks really inconsistent - some parts of it look much sleeker, simplified, while other parts are cluttered and much more mechanical.
To me, the missing bits of its outer shell make it look more weak, rather than fit. They also do some really weird things with perceived proportions.
I would really like to finally see what it looks like in-game, I'm hoping it's just awkward promo art.

wwm0nkey

pretty much a given during the course of the Trilogy and I wonder if they will let us play as another character too

You know what would be awesome to do on next gen systems? Use Tessellation to have armor appearance and abilities change on the fly while you see the changes take place :p

(Requires Forerunner nanobots lol)

Yeah that's a good point. It does look awkward.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

only Halo news today sofar. sorry to derail though.

Halo, the Twinkler trilogy.

lol I don't care about derailing the thread. I do it all the time. I meant that Armor changes is such a non issue in the grand scheme of things

monome

You know what would be awesome to do on next gen systems? Use Tessellation to have armor appearance and abilities change on the fly while you see the changes take place :p

(Requires Forerunner nanobots lol)

Drools...If Androids dream of electric sheeps and get on with it, why do I feel so shameful for dreaming of Forunner Spartans?

You played Vanquish? If not go to youtube to see the weapons-change animations

lol I don't care about derailing the thread. I do it all the time. I meant that Armor changes is such a non issue in the grand scheme of things

Yeah I don't give a fuck about those magazine covers but I'm with monkey in getting hot to see radical armor change over the course of the games. the Chief is gonna get status as the games get out and their Universe get expanded, so I believe we will see change on him reflecting his importance towards other characters (just as being a Spartan made him special in the original games).

Flipyap

From what I've heard, the "WHY" was originally just "artistic license." I'm not exactly convinced that they had a technobabble reason for it until much later in development. If you look closer, the MJOLNIR even has the same battle damage as it did in Halo 3. Hey, nanomachines, you missed a spot.

But seriously, the promo art for the new armor looks like ass. The helmet is too boxy and reminicent of the Grunt gas mask, the floaty bits of abdominal armor that don't seem to connect to anything, the new shoulder pieces...bleh.

monome

From what I've heard, the "WHY" was originally just "artistic license." I'm not exactly convinced that they had a technobabble reason for it until much later in development. If you look closer, the MJOLNIR even has the same battle damage as it did in Halo 3. Hey, nanomachines, you missed a spot.

Not saing he's been transformed already, and the damage gives it up, the action takes place without him having had any external (or at least UNSC) contact before Halo 4 starts.

Another year of this old ass console. Dear lord have mercy.

Heard next xbox is mid-late 2013

Flipyap

But seriously, the promo art for the new armor looks like ass. The helmet is too boxy and reminicent of the Grunt gas mask, the floaty bits of abdominal armor that don't seem to connect to anything, the new shoulder pieces...bleh.

The pouty part of the helmet is what bothers me the most. The detail makes it look like it has breathing holes, just adding to the impression of it not being very protective.
Also agreed about the weird abdominal bits, they remind me of Evangelions' segmented midsections.

ElRenoRaven

You and me both. It's so hard though when seeing both side to side. It really doesn't help when we got that lame ass nanotech bullshit in glasslands. I really just fear that that was done so that they could use it as a cop out. I hope I'm wrong.

daedalius

I think I need a better picture of both sets of Mjolnir before I could really make the call on which I totally prefer; it might just be the angle of the helmet that is throwing you guys, it didn't really look like that in the trailer. As for the segmented abdominal plates, well, that would promote better movement ;)

Does anyone have any idea why I sometimes get disconnected from games, get a win for it, and don't actually get disconnected from XBL? I get huge lag, screen goes dark like it is changing hosts, then when it finally comes back, it shows me as the only person left in the game, and I win. I can then hop right back into matchmaking, I can even open the guide and look at stuff while in the process of being disconnected!

I haven't read any of the novels apart from Fall of Reach, so I don't know if this is alluded to in the newer books, but the new art style makes me wonder if Chief's visit to this new planet/Unicron-thingy is going to bring about further, more radical changes to his armor. Maybe he'll finally get that Combat Skin that 343 mentioned in the first game.

Some sweet forerunner upgrades would be pretty Metroid-y, and awesome.

The pouty part of the helmet is what bothers me the most. The detail makes it look like it has breathing holes, just adding to the impression of it not being very protective.
Also agreed about the weird abdominal bits, they remind me of Evangelions' segmented midsections.
I haven't read any of the novels apart from Fall of Reach, so I don't know if this is alluded to in the newer books, but the new art style makes me wonder if Chief's visit to this new planet/Unicron-thingy is going to bring about further, more radical changes to his armor. Maybe he'll finally get that Combat Skin that 343 mentioned in the first game.

Flipyap

The concept sounds fun, but he'd have to lose any radical visual upgrades and go back to his regular, highly marketable self in the next game.

Okay, in honor of the 343'd day of the year, I'm going to give out some codes.

I have two (count 'em, two) MC avatar armor, male and female. First come first serve I guess?

I think I am willing to part with my download code for the Anniversary maps at the cost of me having to switch discs (the horror!). I want to be more careful with this. I'm unsure how to proceed with this one.

Without spoiling the novels, there is a ... logical reason he has "new" armour. The level 12 combat skin mentioned by 343 is basically just a rating given to armour based on its protectiveness. Its to be assumed that forerunner armour is along the lines of level 12 (see below image) and not that some kind of MJOLNIR level 12 exists. The worst thing 343i could do is to give chief a entirely new look. Certain aspects must stay the same for him to still be recognizable, the gold square visor green helmet is how people know its chief its his "face"

I really wouldnt read to much into what 343 said.

Click to make bigger

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Okay, in honor of the 343'd day of the year, I'm going to give out some codes.

I have two (count 'em, two) MC avatar armor, male and female. First come first serve I guess?

I think I am willing to part with my download code for the Anniversary maps at the cost of me having to switch discs (the horror!). I want to be more careful with this. I'm unsure how to proceed with this one.

The concept sounds fun, but he'd have to lose any radical visual upgrades and go back to his regular, highly marketable self in the next game.
Right. Seems like a stretch to go so radical because of the future marketing, so I guess we're stuck with bizarre tweaks that do nothing to repair that damaged chest. :lol

Without spoiling the novels, there is a ... logical reason he has "new" armour. The level 12 combat skin mentioned by 343 is basically just a rating given to armour based on its protectiveness. Its to be assumed that forerunner armour is along the lines of level 12 (see below image) and not that some kind of MJOLNIR level 12 exists. The worst thing 343i could do is to give chief a entirely new look. Certain aspects must stay the same for him to still be recognizable, the gold square visor green helmet is how people know its chief its his "face"

I really wouldnt read to much into what 343 said.

Click to make bigger

I'm going to join the chorus of folks saying that the Banshee needs to be taken out of every variant of Headlong/Breakneck (or whatever it's called) ASAP.

Also, just finished a game of 1 Flag on Breakneck, and I dunno if it was the map layout or Reach's clumsy UI, but I was having a hard time keeping track of the flag.

FyreWulff

I'm going to join the chorus of folks saying that the Banshee needs to be taken out of every variant of Headlong/Breakneck (or whatever it's called) ASAP.

Also, just finished a game of 1 Flag on Breakneck, and I dunno if it was the map layout or Reach's clumsy UI, but I was having a hard time keeping track of the flag.

There's like 5 paths to take the flag back on Headlong. Probably the map.

daedalius

Made the mistake of going into the new PC vs console debate thread on gaming side; people posted some pretty sweet setups of their home in there.

Like some guy who had his bed right next to his TV, flanked by speakers. That just made me saw 'wow'.

I think Reach looks pretty good, and while I think BF3 on my PC looks 'better', its not like its blowing me away with how super-amazing it looks either. I guess I'm more excited for the next-gen for 60fps and more expansive environments rather than simply just higher resolution.

Comparison of Chiefs. (Click to make ALOT bigger)

I kinda like the new armor, would be better if we had a few more shots from different angles though. The angry face-down look for the helmet isn't really doing it for me though; would have preferred a more straight on shot, or looking up like the H3 one.

Nice comparison, Stalker. I really like how the CEA armor turned out.

Also makes me think the Halo 4 chestpiece vaguely resembles the CE chest.

I still think the Halo 3 version is the best. I can understand the need for a new design - new studio, new trilogy. I think my biggest problem is just the helmet. I'd much prefer a Halo 3 helmet on that new chest/body. The mouth and jaw area of the H4 design just seems off.

Top Bottom