• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

How about we get a BR/DMR hybrid? I know Rainbow Six Vegas had a function where you held down the X button and an instant tweak could be made to change the firing rate for a single weapon.

Or do it like Battlefied 3 where you hit down on the d-pad and the firing rate changes. That way you stick to one weapon model, but it can function in two different ways, on the fly, for people who enjoy using a DMR or a BR.
It would be interesting to have a toggle to fit specific roles and have both functions. Given the controversy that surrounds the individual weapons, I would not envy the development team that takes on that task.

now see I was gonna say "the range on the DMR sucks ass and dissuades 2/3rds of the Halo Triangle of Combat" but then giant copy pasta
Never said the DMR is the final solution, just that single-fire is much more preferred to burst. MUCH.

Skimmed Ghal's post because I'm playing, but I don't think it addresses this.

daedalius

now see I was gonna say "the range on the DMR sucks ass and dissuades 2/3rds of the Halo Triangle of Combat" but then giant copy pasta

Yea, Ghaleon summed up the way I feel pretty well. Some kind of spread is preferable in large maps so you don't get cross-mapped constantly; H3 BR with hitscan would be my preference, maybe slightly smaller spread.

I like the DMR because it looks cooler and sounds a hell of a lot better. The H3 BR sounds so lame.

Well, with their new sound director, they are going to redo all of the sounds anyway, and if CEA is any indication, they will be excellent.

It also looks better because the texture fidelity in Reach seems generally much better in Reach. I'm sure an updated BR would look similar to the detail that the DMR currently has.

H2 doesn't have aim acceleration (or very little). It makes aiming feel so smooth compared to H3 and Reach.

Yea, I want this back in H4. I feel like looking around and aiming is much easier (and not talking about the assist either).

Well really, the BR doesn't look too dissimilar from the DMR, and it looks pretty good in Reach.

Love the Reach FOV for sure, hard to go back to the others after playing it heh.

Is there anything different with H2's aiming? Feels snappier or something.

H2 doesn't have aim acceleration (or very little). It makes aiming feel so smooth compared to H3 and Reach.

Never said the DMR is the final solution, just that single-fire is much more preferred to burst. MUCH.

Bolded so so much.

I missed it too. Where did he say this? Was it at the end of that ladder goat video or something? I stopped the video once the guy killed the goat.

Oh, I have not idea where Viewtiful got that from. I was just hassling Devo for having a life and not posting recently.

Halo 3 BR with Reach netcode and hitscan please.

GhaleonEB

The burst fire is used in the BR to limit the effective combat range. I quoted all that to facetiously make a point, but the thesis running through it all is that the shorter effective range on the BR (and Halo 1 pistol) is a critical enabling factor for the rest of the combat sandbox, in both Multiplayer and Campaign contexts.

Assuming we land on some level of agreement on that topic, there's a splinter discussion to be had about the best way to limit that range. Personally, I think the Reach DMR, with a 2x zoom (instead of 3x), a locked and slightly moderated firing rate with no bloom would be a pretty great weapon.

If Halo 3 had hitscan that game would have been 10x better. Halo 4 with the Halo 2 BR.
beli343.png

Also am I the only one who thought Halo 3 Beta > Retail?

OMG VIP Valhalla. Just the mere mention of the name causes my hands to tremble in fear, like seeing a former child abuser walking the streets. He can hurt you anymore, but goddamn it still stings.

Remember when people figured out how to glitch into customs in the Beta? So much fun.

It played and looked better (well the armor did) also I miss actually having the carbine be good :(

(I really wish they would bring the Halo 3 beta back randomly, I still have it on my HDD lol)
Hacked 360s can boot into games of slayer but they have to go around the main menu and you can't get a second player to join. Basically it boots you directly into the map by yourself. Then again, I am sure there is some way to force it into a lobby. I know a guy who I am sure has figured that out.

FyreWulff

Frankie said Halo 4 won't have hitscan

I'm sad

Hitscan is an outdated relic from old idtech engines.

It played and looked better (well the armor did) also I miss actually having the carbine be good :(

(I really wish they would bring the Halo 3 beta back randomly, I still have it on my HDD lol)

You know there's no point to holding onto it right? You can freely redownload it from Xbox Live. If you wanted to be able to do anything like view your beta films, you'd have to mod your 360 and end up with it banned anyway. Almost minimal to no chance of it even being randomly turned on, it'd require spinning up stuff that can't be spun up anymore without tracking down all the Bungie employees that were in charge of running the beta.

You know there's no point to holding onto it right? You can freely redownload it from Xbox Live. If you wanted to be able to do anything like view your beta films, you'd have to mod your 360 and end up with it banned anyway..
He would have to have an old 360 that hadn't been online before or shortly after the NXE update.

Edit: All of this talk of modded Xbox and betas makes me wonder about the people who have the Halo 2 Beta. I'm sure that is not legal...

Blinding

Did anyone ever bother to do that to it, anyway? AFIAK only the Reach beta was modded to have a loader to get into the maps, I never remember that happening for the 3 one.

If you're talking about during the Reach beta, that's because of the custom games glitch with the Halo 3 Beta. However, I'm pretty sure a few people had modded the Halo 3 Beta after it was over in order to continue playing.

FyreWulff

If you're talking about during the Reach beta, that's because of the custom games glitch with the Halo 3 Beta. However, I'm pretty sure a few people had modded the Halo 3 Beta after it was over in order to continue playing.

Man, I still remember leaving the 360 on overnight so people could join me and get the Customs lobby for themselves. Good times, although it probably screwed with Bungie's telemetry :p

Look at this beauty. (I ain't talking about the room or gadget. I talking about the hoodie)

From the death of the Halo 3 thread, Cocop crushing your dreams of a 4 shot-palooza in Halo 4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17270236&postcount=106107

AND, still the best post in HaloGAF history:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17274753&postcount=106164

387920-20animated_gif20chuck_norris20dodgeball20thumbs_up.gif
Imo the best post is, where Ghal rejected Dax01. Can anyone find it?

GhaleonEB and Dax just need to have sex and get all that sexual tension out of the air. This "will they, won't they" game has been going on for years.

Tunavi

Banned
thanks. I could not find it in search. Cant believe this was only 17 pages

edits:Wow, Luke Smith made the OT, so strange to see him posting as a fan
lol, check your PMs meme back in 04

also, you could still bump this thread, it never got locked

Homeboyd

thanks. I could not find it in search. Cant believe this was only 17 pages

edits:Wow, Luke Smith made the OT, so strange to see him posting as a fan
lol, check your PMs meme back in 04

Luke lives in the Madden thread...

feel

So fascinating reading neogaf from around the Halo 2 launch, specially with seeing some familiar posters. I think I used the teamxbox forums to talk about Halo back then.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There is A Official Halo 2 Topic. You can think about on old memories of the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=639041&postcount=1395

Hoooooly crap. I don't think I've ever seen the Halo 2 OT. Why was it so short lived? Was GAF just small at the time, or were OTs not really in fashion, or...? There's some names in that thread that I totally forgot about. And some people who I didn't realize have been on GAF for so long. Man, it's moments like these when I realize how big a role GAF has played in my consumption and perception of gaming over the past six years.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Top Bottom