• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GhaleonEB

Having met Ghaleon in person, that posts was probably about was awkward for me to read as it probably was for Ghaleon :lol

Wish we'd gotten the chance to talk longer, BTW. Hope we do some time. I could tell you were a nice person who was in excruciating pain and on some wicked pain killers, and then the group got moving and I never spotted you again. :(

FyreWulff

Wish we'd gotten the chance to talk longer, BTW. Hope we do some time. I could tell you were a nice person who was in excruciating pain and on some wicked pain killers, and then the group got moving and I never spotted you again. :(

Still have all those teeth in my mouth. Long story (that I've also twittered). Getting medical procedures done with a noticable amount of liability done in this country? Damn near screwed.

I was like that at PAX a lot. People would find me then I disappeared into the crowd again. I'll be sure to wear my HBO shirt all 3 days and a bigger nametag next year?

Trasher

Hoooooly crap. I don't think I've ever seen the Halo 2 OT. Why was it so short lived? Was GAF just small at the time, or were OTs not really in fashion, or...? There's some names in that thread that I totally forgot about. And some people who I didn't realize have been on GAF for so long. Man, it's moments like these when I realize how big a role GAF has played in my consumption and perception of gaming over the past six years.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I think GAF in general was just smaller back then. I definitely didn't use GAF back then as much as I do now. Nowadays, GAF is my homepage, and I probably spend 75% of my internet time on it haha.

Oh, the good ole days.

Sniper Pistol and BR (N Covy mirror weapons) should be hitscan or "practically" hitscan, I don't want to have to paint my enemies to death with the BR like you do in Halo 3. Gun is fucking terrible you just swing it all around the enemy to kill them its just awful. Game was shit.

Sniper Pistol and BR (N Covy mirror weapons) should be hitscan or "practically" hitscan, I don't want to have to paint my enemies to death with the BR like you do in Halo 3. Gun is fucking terrible you just swing it all around the enemy to kill them its just awful. Game was shit.

Halo 3 was awesome.

Isn't it the game that everybody who hates Reach points to as a better game?

I get so confused.

Kibbles

There is A Official Halo 2 Topic. You can think about on old memories of the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=639041&postcount=1395

Ah, good times
Luke comparing an issue in Halo with an issue in Madden, heh.

I'd like to see the initial craziness from GAF after the Halo 2 E3 2003 Trailer. How'd that go down? I've been trying to search for it.

I was surprised to see TimeDog in the Halo 2 thread, I always thought he was a newer member lol, I don't recall seeing him around at all from my days of lurking. Although he probably had a different avatar that may help me recognize.

Halo 3 was awesome.

Isn't it the game that everybody who hates Reach points to as a better game?

I get so confused.

Yea most people just aren't good enough to adapt to Reach. Why you think Me Tashi are the only ones who like Reach? Like Letters is the one so adament about H3 being good, Letters! What did he do, manage to hit 43 rank? H3 suckedm after H2 it was a total dissapointment (MP-wise).

No but seriously my opinion is Bungie wants a good weapon "balance" so casuals can play and do well only thing is no matter what you give us the good kids will always do better even if you stick us with crap. They seem so persistent on giving us weapons that just dont work. They don't DO what they are supposed to and "thats Halo". Think of CoD any weapon you pick up the bullets go fast as fuck, you dont see the bullets go through the air. Well, "thats Halo" watch a bunch of plasma fly through the air and dodge before it hits. Thats good and all but now they made our human weapons do the same. H1 and H2 had solid reliable basic weapon to fall back on always (Pistol and BR) H3 took that away, Reach took that away even though they made it hitscan they added BLOOM. What happen? Casuals still get shit on, but noone wants to play it competitively cause its so fucking random and unappealing.

What do they need to do? Give us Halo 2 like response for human weapons, but with balance the other weapons that didn't do shit in H2. Not weaken the weapons we love but buff the other weapons.

Also need to hire me for Playlist manager, because none of them play enough and know whats going on enough. Might be one of those human/god paradoxes where when you become God you no longer understand the troubles of being a Human and the imperfections Humans have is what makes being the God suck. I truly think I could do better though.

Also they really need to reduce the BTB maps and create some steller Arena sized maps and get some good MM going.

Halo isn't dead, its just wounded as fuck right now, after ODST and Reach people don't think too highly of it.

At the end of the day as far as each game goes, Reach is much better than H3. Improved Forgeability, User Interface (Friends List right there on right, fuck yea!), Graphics, Frame Rate. I don't even think you could argue that technically Reach is a better made game. People just don't want to adapt. Its annoying as fuck.

Also for anyone interested tomorrow all day I will be streaming Jurrasic Park: The Game. I would like anyone to join. Prizes may or may not be given out again.

Tunavi

Banned
Just played the first few levels of Halo 2. The battle over earth on the MAC cannon station, just incredible.

Makes Reach look like Farmville.

Farmville daily players shit on any Xbox console game by like 900%...

Last time I played Farmville daily players were at 25M I think CoD MW3 had 3M users on Launch day and probably isn't anywhere close to that since.

Trasher

Yea most people just aren't good enough to adapt to Reach. Why you think Me Tashi are the only ones who like Reach?

People just don't want to adapt. Its annoying as fuck.

You can't be serious...

Adapting isn't the problem at all. We all got good at the game, played the stale gametypes, suffered through game after game of people quitting, and had no fun after a while. The problem was that we weren't having any fun. Not that we didn't understand how to be good at the game. Hell, I think we posted some of the longest win streaks ever in a Halo game for us.

I can see why Tashi likes the game because he actually gets competitive games, and the MLG gametypes are pretty damn good. Do you play MLG consistently? Didn't think you did. I dunno how you'd have fun in that playlist by yourself either. And if you don't play MLG, then I have no idea how you can stand playing the game. I feel like at this point you are only playing the game still in hopes that 343 will hire you because you are trying to show how devoted you are to Halo...lol.

I don't mean "US" I mean the majority of players, all those casuals who have AR as their ToD and lose most of their games. They quit. They didn't GET GOOD.

We didn't have fun because Reach is boring competitively. They need to make "our" weapons good again, create solid competitive maps and bring back ranks for better MM. We stay and play casuals leave once the next Gears and CoD comes out. Yes Bungie/343 are a business and need to make cash but if we're playing all those cleansed kids will come back to prove themselves.

To clarify remember when the game was out a few months and they made the graph of who has hit General and who hasn't...think of the numnbers now of who hit lets say ...Half Moon. I bet its so fucking low. Soooo many people stopped Reach, they couldn't handle it. Its a hard fucking game if you aren't good.

Trasher

I don't mean "US" I mean the majority of players, all those casuals who have AR as their ToD and lose most of their games. They quit. They didn't GET GOOD.

We didn't have fun because Reach is boring competitively. They need to make "our" weapons good again, create solid competitive maps and bring back ranks for better MM. We stay and play casuals leave once the next Gears and CoD comes out. Yes Bungie/343 are a business and need to make cash but if we're playing all those cleansed kids will come back to prove themselves.

We've almost forgotten what a "competitive" Halo match is really like. =/

It's either play games with quitters, or get our butts pumped in MLG lol. There's no middle-ground at all.

I dunno, do you really think it's because it's too hard for your average gamer to be somewhat decent at Reach? Did bloom really make that much of a gap? Or was it something else too?

Definitely MM too. I feel alotta kids were happy going 50.50 down at Rank 20-40.

Alotta us here just expect to be at the top. Theres a good chunk of kids who were 20 at one point and were like "OK I'm 20, Lets see if I can improve and get myself to 30!" and it was a driving force.

Yes though. I feel the average gamer would go play CoD before exerting themselves to become good at Reach, especially with MM throwing them up against teams like Team Jesus and Gym Tan Dong.

Trasher

Definitely MM too. I feel alotta kids were happy going 50.50 down at Rank 20-40.

Alotta us here just expect to be at the top. Theres a good chunk of kids who were 20 at one point and were like "OK I'm 20, Lets see if I can improve and get myself to 30!" and it was a driving force.

Yes though. I feel the average gamer would go play CoD before exerting themselves to become good at Reach, especially with MM throwing them up against teams like Team Jesus and Gym Tan Dong.
Yeah. Agreed. It's a fine line when you are trying to make a game too competitive or too accessible. Maybe that's why you don't listen to MLG pros, Bungie! :p

Speaking of that subject...did Blizzard enlist any Starcraft pros to help them out with SC2's multiplayer? If they did, Blizzard must have gone about it the right way haha. And I imagine they probably did.

Meh, I play Reach both alone and with friends, and never in the MLG playlist (or Swat, or Snipers, or Infection... basically just TS, Squad Slayer, Team Objective, BTB, Invasion Premium Battle, and Anniversary stuff).

I'm competitive. And I have tons of fun.

Granted, I don't play tournament level, but I have a pretty good K/D and a positive W/L despite going solo almost as often as I do with a full team. But I still want to win, still invest in getting better, and enjoy the thrill of going gun-to-gun in a back-and-forth battle and coming out the victor.

I think some of the guys here speak for a very small percentage of the marketplace. As the skill level increases, the slightest levels of imbalance or imperfect tweaking are magnified. It's like taking a look at a super-model's skin. For most of us - it's silky smooth. Put it under that 'competitive' microscope, you see the pores and imperfections.

For 99% of the population, bloom does it's job perfectly. The problem is that a lot of the 99% has moved on to a more accessible, addictive game, or has just grown tired of the core Halo formula... or both.

Speaking of that subject...did Blizzard enlist any Starcraft pros to help them out with SC2's multiplayer? If they did, Blizzard must have gone about it the right way haha. And I imagine they probably did.

They also waited 10 years to release a sequel and changed almost nothing about the core of the multiplayer experience. At a macro level, the game is almost exactly the same, it's only when you get down to the micro level do the effects of the new units and tweaks come to bear on strategy.

So would you be happier if we had received Halo 2 this year, and you had to wait 10 years with no online Halo to play just to get it?

Magni

That Halo 2 OT makes me so nostalgic. I'm really bummed I missed out on most of Halo 2's XBL days. I had an Xbox with Halo 2 from launch, and a 360 with Live two years later, but I couldn't play Xbox 1 games on the 360 since I played via VGA at the time, and OG Xbox games didn't work. I could only play Halo 2 on break at my grandparents (we didn't have a TV), where they didn't have Internet.

My first game of Halo on XBL in March (IIRC?) '07 is a treasured memory.

Trasher

They also waited 10 years to release a sequel and changed almost nothing about the core of the multiplayer experience. At a macro level, the game is almost exactly the same, it's only when you get down to the micro level do the effects of the new units and tweaks come to bear on strategy.

So would you be happier if we had received Halo 2 this year, and you had to wait 10 years with no online Halo to play just to get it?

If the multiplayer was anywhere near the caliber of SC and SC2's multiplayer? Hell yes. Easy answer.

Starcraft 2 is a prime example of how to do a sequel to an already amazing game: Don't fuck with the core mechanics that made the original game so damn popular.

Certainly there has to be more than that to it.

That would be like hiring Walshy to balance the next Halo and noone else.

Doesn't make sense...Although maybe that dude knows what the fuck is up...

Oh I'm sure there's more to it than just one guy haha. But it does make you wonder what exactly goes on with all of that...

If the multiplayer was anywhere near the caliber of SC and SC2's multiplayer? Hell yes. Easy answer.

Starcraft 2 is a prime example of how to do a sequel to an already amazing game: Don't fuck with the core mechanics that made the original game so damn popular.

*shrugs*

Fair enough.

I, personally, and happy for all the time spent enjoying Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach. So I can't confidently say I would trade it for some hypothetical Halo sequel 10 years in the making that makes only marginal changes to the gameplay.

For me, the changes in the gameplay between SC and SC2 isn't enough to warrant the wait. In fact, the only reason SC2 is fun for me, is because I didn't play Starcraft 2 for the seven years before it's release. So it's the reborn 'newness' of it amidst a pretty dead genre (the gods that are Relic Entertainment, notwithstanding) that got me back in. Not the strict adherence to 10 year old gameplay.

But then, I am neither a SC tournament player nor am I South Korean.

Trasher

*shrugs*

Fair enough.

I, personally, and happy for all the time spent enjoying Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach. So I can't confidently say I would trade it for some hypothetical Halo sequel 10 years in the making that makes only marginal changes to the gameplay.

Of course it's been nice having all of these sequels and whatnot, but what if Bungie had eliminated everything between Halo 2 and Reach, and made one amazingly polished game? One where the multiplayer wouldn't just be the flavor of the month for the average gamer. I'd take that in a heartbeat haha.

But, we are comparing two completely different games so who could ever really say what would happen. And Starcraft was a game that had already had a gigantic pro scene and background that were well established. That probably makes it a bit easier.

Edit: Also, I generally hate doing stupid "what if" shit like this haha. But sometimes it's fun. :p

Trasher

original.0

I raise you:
clvrgirl.jpg

Mind = blown.

...although to be fair, foreshadowing that shit was gonna hit the fan in Jurassic Park is kind of like James Cameron foreshadowing that the boat was going to sink in Titanic. Kind of unnecessary. :p

Of course it's been nice having all of these sequels and whatnot, but what if Bungie had eliminated everything between Halo 2 and Reach, and made one amazingly polished game? One where the multiplayer wouldn't just be the flavor of the month for the average gamer. I'd take that in a heartbeat haha.

But, we are comparing two completely different games so who could ever really say what would happen. And Starcraft was a game that had already had a gigantic pro scene and background that were well established. That probably makes it a bit easier.

Edit: Also, I generally hate doing stupid "what if" shit like this haha. But sometimes it's fun. :p

The risk, of course, is that while Bungie was waiting, or toiling away on that Halo sequel, that the market would shift anyway. So you'd have a new Halo game released, and possibly have this amazing game that nobody wants to play because FPS at the time are so different, and they haven't had that constant drip of Halo content to keep them interested.

Also need to hire me for Playlist manager, because none of them play enough and know whats going on enough.

You know, GAF memes aside, this is actually a really good point.

Jeremiah did a great job of responding to specific issues in the Optimatch forum, but user feedback to playlist management is something that could be improved. There are specific problems in the playlists that go unreported simply because of the bystander effect.

I know Fyrewulff was recently trying to compile a list of issues to submit, but matchmaking would benefit from extending the spirit of developer's testing tools to the community, specifically to players that make a significant time investment in the various niches of matchmaking. I don't play Invasion a lot, but there are a select group of players that play it a whole lot, I would imagine, who are intimately familiar with its flaws, large and small. The same could be said for Living Dead, SWAT, and so on. Providing a user-facing in-game interface to provide feedback from these experienced, real-world testers could be a huge asset in quality assurance.

The burst fire is used in the BR to limit the effective combat range. I quoted all that to facetiously make a point, but the thesis running through it all is that the shorter effective range on the BR (and Halo 1 pistol) is a critical enabling factor for the rest of the combat sandbox, in both Multiplayer and Campaign contexts.

Assuming we land on some level of agreement on that topic, there's a splinter discussion to be had about the best way to limit that range. Personally, I think the Reach DMR, with a 2x zoom (instead of 3x), a locked and slightly moderated firing rate with no bloom would be a pretty great weapon.
Yes, the point I am making is quite specific. I have a problem with allowing the firing of headshot-capable projectiles in rapid succession. It allows players to essentially "paint" their opponents with headshots, and it reduces the effectiveness of player movement in a shootout, because strafing through burst fire takes more damage than dodging a shot, overall greatly reducing the precision required to win in shootouts. To me, the burst-fire BR is the AR of precision weapons. And you know what kind of treatment the AR gets around here.

:lol I was a 20 in Halo 3, I didn't like how you had to be locked into playing certain ranked playlists to rank up.

Halo 3 was BTB all the time for me, so many good memories on Avalanche, Sandtrap, Valhalla
and Standoff Heavy

Now it's Invasion and BTB/Anniversary BTB all the time.

P.S: Make BTB all DLC required! Tempest, Highlands, Breakneck, Breakpoint, High Noon and Ridgeline WOOT! you could even throw Condemned there.

Never said the DMR is the final solution, just that single-fire is much more preferred to burst. MUCH.

Skimmed Ghal's post because I'm playing, but I don't think it addresses this.

A 4 shot hitscan single shot weapon would be great in my opinion. I love the BR and all, but if they can give us the Pistol back in H4 I would be happy.

Why again is it miserable? Because it's not what you enjoy? Halo isn't about headshots, it's about map movement, using your radar, anticipating enemy moves and timing out grenades, melees and firing your weapon. Aiming is a massive part, but it's not the entire game. I completely understand that a lot of people enjoy the game mostly when they have a BR and are four-shotting people nonstop the entire match. But unfortunately for those people, Bungie and the majority of the game's fanbase don't feel that way.

Oh. :(

Yea most people just aren't good enough to adapt to Reach. Why you think Me Tashi are the only ones who like Reach? Like Letters is the one so adament about H3 being good, Letters! What did he do, manage to hit 43 rank? H3 suckedm after H2 it was a total dissapointment (MP-wise).

Not that it matters, but I hit a 50 in H3 and hate Reach. Its less about how skillfull the game is and more about how little fun the game is.

At the end of the day as far as each game goes, Reach is much better than H3. Improved Forgeability, User Interface (Friends List right there on right, fuck yea!), Graphics, Frame Rate. I don't even think you could argue that technically Reach is a better made game. People just don't want to adapt. Its annoying as fuck.

Technically Far Cry 2 is a fantastic game. Shame about the game design though. Technical brilliance does not equal good gameplay.

To clarify remember when the game was out a few months and they made the graph of who has hit General and who hasn't...think of the numnbers now of who hit lets say ...Half Moon. I bet its so fucking low. Soooo many people stopped Reach, they couldn't handle it. Its a hard fucking game if you aren't good.

Dude Halo Reach is a game, not a job. Even if you sucked at it you could get to Half Moon, the reason people stopped playing it was because they found other stuff to do. Not because the game was too hard for them. Halo 3 was too hard for the casuals and yet they stayed playing that. I would actually argue that Halo Reach is more forgiving to people who don't play very often.

monome

Why again is it miserable? Because it's not what you enjoy? Halo isn't about headshots, it's about map movement, using your radar, anticipating enemy moves and timing out grenades, melees and firing your weapon. Aiming is a massive part, but it's not the entire game. I completely understand that a lot of people enjoy the game mostly when they have a BR and are four-shotting people nonstop the entire match. But unfortunately for those people, Bungie and the majority of the game's fanbase don't feel that way.

Could not agree more. Although I understand why people spend time to develop skills, I still play to vent my real world frustration. I got burned on Counter Strike with its vicious and hyper skilled players, and the shield mechanic and choice of vulgar yet fun weapons in Halo made it a saving grace and helped me get back in the FPS MP game.

No

That Jurassic Park game had me hyped from a trailer a while back. They seemed to nail to sound effects really well... then I watched that youtube video you posted and realised it's like an interactive dvd, what a fucking waste.

Dino Crisis with Resident Evil 6 engine, start a petition.

At the end of the day as far as each game goes, Reach is much better than H3. Improved Forgeability, User Interface (Friends List right there on right, fuck yea!), Graphics, Frame Rate.

No

That Jurassic Park game had me hyped from a trailer a while back. They seemed to nail to sound effects really well... then I watched that youtube video you posted and realised it's like an interactive dvd, what a fucking waste.

Cocopjojo said:
wise words
Truth hurts, eh?

Sometimes I really don't get the ultra-competitive community, everybody exclaiming how "Halo is saved!" in the MLG forums just by adding ZBNS, it's not like MLG population is ginormous or something.

monome

Anybody get this?

It hurts...but I have no faith a Christmas special magazine...

Next OXM:

99fXO.png

Exclusive?

Humm, probably the few first drops. My MJOLNIR is ready.

Halo 4 cover story? So we will be seeing or hearing something this month then I assume.

nothing really substantial seeing how those two mags pretty much boast about nothing (doesn't say gameplay tidbits or new art) but i'll be reading Primordium ASAP as stuff gonna happen soon for sure

Top Bottom