• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

Nah, those low payouts are from when Bungie ran the Challenges. The last time we had a Challenge like this (on my file, anyways, which is a couple months out of date) was in April, when it was 188 kills in one game for 1400 cR. Today is 177 for 1300. Similarly all the ones that jump out as having really small payouts are in line with what they used to be before 343 took over.

Just makes me appreciate how 343 juiced the payouts when they took over. Firefight Thursdays are a hoot these days.

Bungie was already planning to increase the payouts before the takeover. It was mentioned multiple times near and shortly after launch that the payouts would increase over time. 343 just happens to be following the original plan.

On the other hand, we have 343 telling people they've increased the cR cap.. from 120,000 to 137,343 (from all reports). That's a whole 3 more games! It'd be nice if they weren't afraid to go above 15,000cR for SJWs either.

06/30/11 - All Playlists - 30,000cR (lasted until July 7th)
06/24/11 - Double Team - 27,000cR
06/17/11 - Team Objective - 24,000cR
06/10/11 - Flagstravaganza - 21,000cR
06/03/11 - The Arena - 18,000cR

Bungie was already planning to increase the payouts before the takeover. It was mentioned multiple times near and shortly after launch that the payouts would increase over time.

On the other hand, we have 343 telling people they've increased the cR cap.. from 120,000 to 137,343 (from all reports). That's a whole 3 more games!

Haha really!?? Thats pretty poor. :p

I was expecting another challenge payout raise considering the caps gone up, but if the caps only gone up by such a small amount maybe not.

FyreWulff

Haha really!?? Thats pretty poor. :p

I was expecting another challenge payout raise considering the caps gone up, but if the caps only gone up by such a small amount maybe not.

I was expecting another doubling (60,000 -> 120,000 -> 240,000) but I guess not. The current limit means you still can't escape Warrant Officer in a single day of play.

GhaleonEB

Bungie was already planning to increase the payouts before the takeover. It was mentioned multiple times near and shortly after launch that the payouts would increase over time. 343 just happens to be following the original plan.

That was Bungie's plan, but they did not execute to it. The data speaks for itself. Payouts by week through the first couple weeks 343 had ownership:

cRPayouts.png

Payouts rose gradually in the first couple months after launch, and then stayed in a narrow range for the rest of their ownership of the Challenges. In fact, they actually dropped in average payout in the two months prior to 343 taking over. Bungie had plans to early on, and then abandoned those plans at some point after the initial early ramp up. Probably had to re-prioritize the resources needed to manage them.

Much credit (ha) to 343 for managing Challenge payouts more actively.

FyreWulff

That was Bungie's plan, but they did not execute to it. Payouts by week through the first couple weeks 343 had ownership:

cRPayouts.png

Payouts rose gradually in the first month and change after launch, and then stayed in a narrow range for the rest of their ownership of the Challenges. In fact, they actually dropped in average payout in the two months prior to 343 taking over. I don't believe for a moment that there was anyone at Bungie planning to increase them. They had plans to early on, and then abandoned those plans at some point.

- edit, not worth it -

Either way, raising the cR cap by 15,000 is a joke, and 15,000cR jackpots don't really entice me to play the playlists they're in any more. Should be 240,000cR cap and SJWs should be 25,000 minimum. Or even 34,300 since they seem to be enthralled by throwing references to their number everywhere.

GhaleonEB

You mean that their time was consumed by getting ready to hand it off to 343? It's even been quoted from MS employees that whatever Bungie had for a TU was simply left on the floor since 343 had planned theirs before they even got the game.

There was a reason why the Community playlists stopped in matchmaking when they did. It was because at that point they knew they had limited time with the game left and the focus was getting new maps into standard lists instead of the community list -> put popular ones into rest of matchmaking method.

Looks like Bungie had just about as much time to update challenge payouts as 343 has just now.

You're also forgetting that right before the handoff, Bungie increased the jackpots. When 343 took over, the jackpots have gone down. What I see on that chart is launch, then it goes upward a lot, then it goes upward a bit more, then about the time Bungie CC went into "get maps into permanent matchmaking instead of shoveling a bunch into community lists" mode, the payouts stopped receiving focus.

Either way, raising the cR cap by 15,000 is a joke, and 15,000cR jackpots don't really entice me to play the playlists they're in any more. Should be 240,000cR cap and SJWs should be 25,000 minimum.
I'm aware of all of this. Let me make it simpler:

1) Bungie had plans to raise payouts over time.

2) Bungie did not.

That is the point I was making. Nothing more, nothing less. That's it. I'm not "forgetting" jack squat, because that was the scope of the comment I made.

They DID do the jackpots (which I hated because I could never get them). And as I said in the post you quoted, they probably re-prioritized the resources needed to make the updates. Perhaps due to Destiny; perhaps because they learned of the transition plan and decided to leave it to 343. That's fine. My point was that they did not execute to the promise to raise them over time. It was a throwaway comment in the context of one lower paying Challenge today. It is not a controversial statement, as the data is clear on the subject.

This is a really weird conversation to have as a result, because it was like observing that the sky is blue and then getting into a back and forth about why it's blue. 0_o

kylej

Banned
Tony Hawk HD was the best thing at VGAs. Don't know why kids are creaming themselves over Uncharted 2 w/ Zombies.

Franklin you should've been there, could've saved the show. Shameful, 343, shameful.

FyreWulff

Tony Hawk HD was the best thing at VGAs. Don't know why kids are creaming themselves over Uncharted 2 w/ Zombies.

Franklin you should've been there, could've saved the show. Shameful, 343, shameful.

Next year's VGAs will all be L4D clones and remakes of 10+ year old games. Maybe a remake of a 10+ year old zombie game. RE2: HD: Resident Harder

TheOddOne

Smh.

343 should have shown something though, that atleast I agree with you.

I know people want to see Halo 4, but I'm not sure why everyone was so set on it having to be at the VGA's. Thing is a joke.

The Last of Us looks insane. How the hell is that in-game?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Because it's a Sony Playstation game on GAF bro.

I know people want to see Halo 4, but I'm not sure why everyone was so set on it having to be at the VGA's. Thing is a joke.

The timing felt right, along with the size of the VGAs.

Thanks though, to Frankie & David for being pretty upfront and keeping expectations in check.
Being transparent & honest with your fans, is one the best things a developer can do.

Naughty Dog Genius Engineers who have devoted the past 6 years of their work life to maximising a single piece of hardware.

The VGAs aren't a respectable place to show off Halo 4. The show is just a giant commercial with celebrities and music acts that have nothing to do with gaming.

I'm hoping the Halo 4 trailer will be at the Super Bowl Halftime Show Featuring Madonna, a classy event dedicated to football and devoid of any of the VGA's embarrassments.

Flipyap

Because it was most likely the last chance we'd see something this year.

That's easy: because it's not in-game. Just like with Uncharted 3's cutscenes, "in-engine" doesn't mean anything resembling what current generation consoles could run.

TheOddOne

The VGAs aren't a respectable place to show off Halo 4. The show is just a giant commercial with celebrities and music acts that have nothing to do with gaming.

I'm hoping the Halo 4 trailer will be at the Super Bowl Halftime Show Featuring Madonna, a classy event dedicated to football and devoid of any of the VGA's embarrassments.
Wat.

The timing felt right, along with the size of the VGAs.

Thanks though, to Frankie & David for being pretty upfront and keeping expectations in check.
Being transparent & honest with your fans, is one the best things a developer can do.

Naughty Dog Genius Engineers who have devoted the past 6 years of their work life to maximising a single piece of hardware.

I just noticed that you can click on spoilers and they'll reveal themselves, rather than you having to highlight.

Cool.

I don't know why challenge payouts aren't simply scaled by rank. You set a default value (e.g., 1,000 credits) for a given challenge, and that is multiplied according to the rank of whoever is challenging for it (1x at recruit, 1.1x, 1.5x, 2x, 5x, etc.). So simple.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I'm aware of all of this. Let me make it simpler:

1) Bungie had plans to raise payouts over time.

2) Bungie did not.

That is the point I was making. Nothing more, nothing less. That's it. I'm not "forgetting" jack squat, because that was the scope of the comment I made.

They DID do the jackpots (which I hated because I could never get them). And as I said in the post you quoted, they probably re-prioritized the resources needed to make the updates. Perhaps due to Destiny; perhaps because they learned of the transition plan and decided to leave it to 343. That's fine. My point was that they did not execute to the promise to raise them over time. It was a throwaway comment in the context of one lower paying Challenge today. It is not a controversial statement, as the data is clear on the subject.

This is a really weird conversation to have as a result, because it was like observing that the sky is blue and then getting into a back and forth about why it's blue. 0_o

In hindsight we had more wiggle room than anticipated, but we were being careful not to scale payouts to levels that would have tied 343's hands. We needed to leave them in a position where they had the flexibility to adjust payouts as they saw fit. Same reason we didn't gift purchasable armor or effects to players on Bungie Day.

:)

In hindsight we had more wiggle room than anticipated, but we were being careful not to scale payouts to levels that would have tied 343's hands. We needed to leave them in a position where they had the flexibility to adjust payouts as they saw fit. Same reason we didn't gift purchasable armor or effects to players on Bungie Day.

:)

Who's decision is it with regards to making previously "exclusive" (via pre-order or other means) armor available for all?

Thankfully i have all this stuff but plenty of people would love to get regular flames, elite officer, hell even sgt johnson for ODST.

Could 343 enable these or is it a microsoft choice

I don't know why challenge payouts aren't simply scaled by rank. You set a default value (e.g., 1,000 credits) for a given challenge, and that is multiplied according to the rank of whoever is challenging for it (1x at recruit, 1.1x, 1.5x, 2x, 5x, etc.). So simple.

I hate the fact that this exists at the moment. I would prefer to never see the "rich get richer" Cr system ever return in any game ever.

I just played got my ass kicked in and dominated some Halo Wars, that game deserves more credit than it gets tbh!

FyreWulff

I wouldn't mind everyone getting the Legendary flames after a while. But I'm not everyone that bought the Legendary edition, so... yeah.

It'd definitely be nice if all the preorder stuff opened up after a while, at least. At minimum, at least Bungie made it be hidden completely if you didn't have it, unlike Gears which constantly reminds you that you didn't play the beta or buy something.

There's probably a sooner chance that HBO is allowed to upload the Halo 3 Legendary edition content than Johnson and the Gamestop armor/Recon helmet opening up for everyone, though.

Ramirez

I find the notion that 343's game is some how "above" being on the VGA's laughable, c'mon son. Their ratings are probably really low as it is, but the people who want an Oscar's type show for videogames, and think it would be successful, are delusional.

I wouldn't mind everyone getting the Legendary flames after a while. But I'm not everyone that bought the Legendary edition, so... yeah.

You can still get one for like 5 bucks...they're available at most retail outlets. Better hurry though because this time they are SUPER rare!

I find the notion that 343's game is some how "above" being on the VGA's laughable, c'mon son. Their ratings are probably really low as it is, but the people who want an Oscar's type show for videogames, and think it would be successful, are delusional.

There's got to be a level between "completely worthless" and "Oscars" that could be successful.

Top Bottom