• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tawpgun

Frankie and David, please pass on sincerest thanks to the Reach MM team for returning a DLC-required list to matchmaking, and sincerest displeasure for spreading the feedback-diminishing damage bleed setting to more lists.

This, but change the bolded to pleasure.

Yea I dunno why they gotta fuck with the old vanilla playlists. New TU shit already has a crapload of playlists.

Such a fucking mess. Gimme that shit you don't know what you're doing.

FyreWulff

Yeah, so much for this:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1094802

Disappointed that they added the TU to Big Team Battle, especially since they STILL insist on including bleedthrough (please come clean on if bleedthrough can actually be separated out). I guess at least the CCs were able to get Infection updated. Hmm.

Edit: especially since there's already Anniversary Big Team for TU Settings Big Team. At least with the redundant BTB lists we had choice between TU and non-TU. Now that's gone.

What about whipping out a 1-hit-kill weapon at the last second and killing your opponent before the packets even get to him? That's cheap, not skillful.

Blame the internet and the tech at the time, not a game design issue, and certainly shouldn't be an issue with today's standards.

The reason for the majority of my bitching in the H3 thread. Individual skill between noob and pro was much smaller than in H2.

Let us dictate how fast we can do shit. If we can reload and then pick the split second you can YY and tap those quick and start shooting again, let us! The kids who are too slow can get left in the dust.

Yep.

Yea I dunno why they gotta fuck with the old vanilla playlists. New TU shit already has a crapload of playlists.

Such a fucking mess. Gimme that shit you don't know what you're doing.

The offices of 343:
yLiDp.jpg

I kid, but the photo is hilarious and I wanted to use it.

Tunavi

Banned
Evade is staying in Reach forever so that when Halo 4 comes around we will have a reason to buy Halo 4. It's a strategic business move.

Played through The Storm again tonight.
wQoO8.jpg

I9bsz.jpg

Dat scale.

It's probably too late to entirely change course, but I really hoped 343 looked to Halo 3 for the encounters.

kylej

Banned
The reason for the majority of my bitching in the H3 thread. Individual skill between noob and pro was much smaller than in H2.

Let us dictate how fast we can do shit. If we can reload and then pick the split second you can YY and tap those quick and start shooting again, let us! The kids who are too slow can get left in the dust.

Do not want fighting game combos in my Halo, thanks.

Do not want fighting game combos in my Halo, thanks.

You're now aware you actually press buttons on the controller ALREADY when playing Halo.

A combo is just an order of the buttons being pressed.

Thats the difference between good players and bad players, they press the right buttons at the right times. It makes the guys in the game do stuff.

kylej

Banned
You're now aware you actually press buttons on the controller ALREADY when playing Halo.

A combo is just an order of the buttons being pressed.

Thats the difference between good players and bad players, they press the right buttons at the right times. It makes the guys in the game do stuff.

That sounds scary. Don't want to scare away the casuals. H4 should follow in Reach's footsteps; casual gamers seem to flock to its AR sandbox friendly FFA bonanza style. Why, just the other week I saw Reach leap from 8th to 7th in XBL activity. Now we're cookin' with gas.

CyReN

Can I get a opinion from people who played Halo 1/Halo 2 from the beginning.

Has the lack of Master Chief story/character in the last 2 Halo games hurt your like for the video games series? I remember getting Halo 1-3 and being like a small child in excitement. I remember coming home from a day at high school and seeing that amazing Halo 3 trailer and running around my room like a hyper bunny in heat in excitement. Halo was MY GAME from 2002-2009, if I was playing video games 95% it was something Halo. Now I just can't tell if I'm getting older or the series has been a disappointment. ODST came out and I was excited for but like many I just felt it would have been better as a dlc. Had a great soundtrack, short story, and Midship (finally). Now onto Halo Reach, I was just excited in the fact that Halo had a future after the end of the trilogy. Saw the Forge World trailer and it seemed like a godsend at the time, thought wow this game skill gap is going to be insane with the bloom. CoD is going down! It had some good, but a lot of bad. I'm grateful for what 343 has done to salvage Reach. Now onto Halo 4, when I saw the Halo 4 trailer (honestly was surprised at the time) and that fuzzy Halo feeling came back that was missing since 07'. I just hope it brings me back, CoD is lame, Gears is decent. I just want my Halo back...and no it isn't nostalgia.

Basically I'm asking/saying have I just gotten older or has the series been on the wrong path since Halo 3 launch, and now it's finally going where everybody wants it too.

-Deep thoughts from driving around today.

PS: Yes I left out CE:A, it's a great game but it's a remake. I'm just counting the games in the series by 343/Bungie.

senador

Banned
Frankie and David, please pass on sincerest thanks to the Reach MM team for returning a DLC-required list to matchmaking, and sincerest displeasure for spreading the feedback-diminishing damage bleed setting to more lists.

Agreed. I dislike what bleedthrough does to Reach's awesome feedback system.

I'm getting the itch to play this game again but the playlists seem like such a confusing mess. Bleh.

Tunavi

Banned
There is no character in Reach that the player can actually connect with. Halo 2's trailers make you think, "I can't wait to play through that guy's view." That's one think Reach was missing.

For those not on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/bsangel/status/154741406236291073

Premium Slayer is vanilla settings

EDIT: Fuck it

*upset about vanilla settings*

typical.

its a blocked site.

Aye, didn't think about that.

Or ever read the list of blocked sites haha

Has the lack of Master Chief story/character in the last 2 Halo games hurt your like for the video games series? I remember getting Halo 1-3 and being like a small child in excitement. I remember coming home from a day at high school and seeing that amazing Halo 3 trailer and running around my room like a hyper bunny in heat in excitement. Halo was MY GAME from 2002-2009, if I was playing video games 95% it was something Halo. Now I just can't tell if I'm getting older or the series has been a disappointment. ODST came out and I was excited for but like many I just felt it would have been better as a dlc. Had a great soundtrack, short story, and Midship (finally). Now onto Halo Reach, I was just excited in the fact that Halo had a future after the end of the trilogy. Saw the Forge World trailer and it seemed like a godsend at the time, thought wow this game skill gap is going to be insane with the bloom. CoD is going down! It had some good, but a lot of bad. I'm grateful for what 343 has done to salvage Reach. Now onto Halo 4, when I saw the Halo 4 trailer (honestly was surprised at the time) and that fuzzy Halo feeling came back that was missing since 07'. I just hope it brings me back, CoD is lame, Gears is decent. I just want my Halo back...and no it isn't nostalgia.

Basically I'm asking/saying have I just gotten older or has the series been on the wrong path since Halo 3 launch, and now it's finally going where everybody wants it too.

PS: Yes I left out CE:A, it's a great game but it's a remake. I'm just counting the games in the series by 343/Bungie.

No, I don't think so. I saw games like Reach as an opportunity for more interesting characters and their stories than Master Chief to be told. Arbiter is a much better character than Chief anyways.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I don't think you're alone. Master Chief is Halo. It's his story, his journey and as a player you get the best seat in the house with him.

Halo 4 needs to shove the fact that Master Chief is back down the public's throat. No more Rookie's, or weaker, lesser Spartans, no more side stories. It's the Chief. The entire Galaxy is in peril and you are the only badass that can save it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the side games. I love Wars, ODST and Reach for what they are, what they do and what they bring to the franchise. There's always going to be room for more games like them in future.

Not now. Not this year. This year should be about the Chief and reminding everyone why the Chief is so damm awesome. We want to travel across the galaxy and visit strange new alien worlds, not dreary farmlands occupied by frightened ostriches. Not generic, copy and paste city back alleys. Alien stuff. Spaceships. New worlds. New sights. New threats. And the same old, familiar badass. Kicking ass and taking names.

343 have yet to properly reveal Halo 4. They can only ever do it once and I really hope they properly frame expectations. Microsoft's marketing engine is truly beastly when it gets going and I hope they aim higher than they did with Halo 3. Halo 4 should feel like a damm event not just a release and hype should be lining the edges of every piece of media, and engorging every interview or preview.

If the BBC isn't reporting the Chief is back, then I think they will have failed. If middle class mothers aren't fretting about getting little Timmy Halo 4 they have failed. If little Timmy doesn't want to dress up Master Chief next Halloween, they have failed. If Americans aren't drinking Halo 4 sponsored beverages, adorned with the Chief, and eating Halo 4 sponsored snacks, also adorned with the Chief, they have failed.

FyreWulff

But if 343 gave the new playlists the TU settings, you'd just complain about that...

Actually, I wouldn't. The claim was default Reach would remain default, which doesn't include new playlists. For new playlists, my complaint is the insistence on including bleedthrough in the settings.

But including TU settings in new lists is fair since those lists didn't exist before. Adding TU settings to almost more than 50% of the default lists after claiming default Reach will remain default annoys me and other people.

At this point they might as well finish it off and take the losses of people leaving the game over the changes, just like Bungie had to do when they updated Halo 2 and Halo 3. This wishy washy trying to be inoffensive style of matchmaking management is more annoying than if they'd just do that.

It's multiplied by the fact that we can already play BTB settings with TU in Anniversary BTB. If we're going to be stuck with two BTB lists, why not at least keep them separated in terms of TU settings? This update made them even more redundant to each other. Might as well delete Anniversary BTB and make BTB DLC required at this point, you'd at least merge the DLC and non DLC populations together.

What would have made more sense would have been to keep Squad Slayer at vanilla and make Squad DLC Slayer TU settings. But it's like they make decisions by throwing darts at a board.

Has the lack of Master Chief story/character in the last 2 Halo games hurt your like for the video games series?
Kind of, yeah. When ODST hit, it was a refreshing change of pace to have a different protagonist, see things from a different perspective, and I still love that game. By the time Reach strolled around and did it again I started getting my Master Chief withdrawal.

It actually took those games to make me realize that I like playing as Master Chief specifically, even though he's a super shallow dumb character within the narrative of the games, I like the fact that everyone looks up to you as a character and he's there to give those stupid quips like "Sir, finishing this fight." So no, I don't want to be insignificant member of a group that is going to be forgotten. I wanna be Master Chief again.

feel

I don't think you're alone. Master Chief is Halo. It's his story, his journey and as a player you get the best seat in the house with him.

Halo 4 needs to shove the fact that Master Chief is back down the public's throat. No more Rookie's, or weaker, lesser Spartans, no more side stories. It's the Chief. The entire Galaxy is in peril and you are the only badass that can save it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the side games. I love Wars, ODST and Reach for what they are, what they do and what they bring to the franchise. There's always going to be room for more games like them in future.

Not now. Not this year. This year should be about the Chief and reminding everyone why the Chief is so damm awesome. We want to travel across the galaxy and visit strange new alien worlds, not dreary farmlands occupied by frightened ostriches. Not generic, copy and paste city back alleys. Alien stuff. Spaceships. New worlds. New sights. New threats. And the same old, familiar badass. Kicking ass and taking names.

343 have yet to properly reveal Halo 4. They can only ever do it once and I really hope they properly frame expectations. Microsoft's marketing engine is truly beastly when it gets going and I hope they aim higher than they did with Halo 3. Halo 4 should feel like a damm event not just a release and hype should be lining the edges of every piece of media, and engorging every interview or preview.

If the BBC isn't reporting the Chief is back, then I think they will have failed. If middle class mothers aren't fretting about getting little Timmy Halo 4 they have failed. If little Timmy doesn't want to dress up Master Chief next Halloween, they have failed. If Americans aren't drinking Halo 4 sponsored beverages, adorned with the Chief, and eating Halo 4 sponsored snacks, also adorned with the Chief, they have failed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLci5DoZqHU

GhaleonEB

*opens the update*

*CTRL+F firefight*

*sadly reads update*

Still at work at 9:00. New year not off to a good start. Was hoping 343 would cheer me up. Alas.

How long until Primordium hits paperback?

senador

Banned
*opens the update*

*CTRL+F firefight*

*sadly reads update*

Still at work at 9:00. New year not off to a good start. Was hoping 343 would cheer me up. Alas.

I asked this a while back and I believe Ellis said it'd have a similar run to Cryptum, so about a year.

Hey You

Glad Infection is getting a much needed update. I assume that the default,base maps will be removed in favor of the updated ones?

And its disappointing that most dislike Objective, don't care if Squad DLC stays or goes. Probably won't be playing it.

Edit: Does this mean eventually Reach's settings (The way Reach was meant to be played and the reason we payed for the game) will be flushed out and only available in Campaign & FF?

*opens the update*

*CTRL+F firefight*

*sadly reads update*

As someone that prefers to read paperback books, reading the hardcover of A Dance with Dragons (which has to weigh about 20 pounds) and nearly dropping it on my face a couple of times in bed has I dozed off, it was the final straw for getting a Kindle. You don't have to wait a year for paperback and they cost less. Plus I can read them on the Kindle, my computer, and my phone.

Not saying you should get one, just made me think of that when I read your post.

Ramirez

I kind of feel bad for the people who actually want vanilla Reach. The TU stuff should have just been kept to a separate playlist and the anniversary stuff.

Bleed through bug aside, I really don't understand how anyone can play 100% bloom after playing the reduced/ZB versions, but ok.

daedalius

I kind of feel bad for the people who actually want vanilla Reach. The TU stuff should have just been kept to a separate playlist and the anniversary stuff.

Bleed through bug aside, I really don't understand how anyone can play 100% bloom after playing the reduced/ZB versions, but ok.

I find it quite difficult to understand.

Are you on Kellar's Void in SWTOR? I think my friends picked a fail server.

Kuroyume

Banned
As someone that prefers to read paperback books, reading the hardcover of A Dance with Dragons (which has to weigh about 20 pounds) and nearly dropping it on my face a couple of times in bed has I dozed off, it was the final straw for getting a Kindle. You don't have to wait a year for paperback and they cost less. Plus I can read them on the Kindle, my computer, and my phone.

Not saying you should get one, just made me think of that when I read your post.

Did you get a kindle fire or one of the other versions?

Same here. I understand that people don't like the bleed through, as Reach's feedback system is very good, and was designed around no bleed through, but 85% bloom is light years better than 100%, so it's worth it.

Did you get a kindle fire or one of the other versions?

Haven't pulled the trigger on the actual purchase yet (think I'll buy it next week), but I'm just going to get the Kindle Touch.

Top Bottom