• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

ElRenoRaven

Demoncarnotaur said:
I will say this, while CEA looks simply amazing, some of its cutscenes look..awkward. Its the stiff animation mixed with the bright lighting, it just looks off at times. On the other hand, Sgt Johnson and the marines looked great in the cutscene, just the beginning with Keyes was so-so.

Yup. Other then the lip syncing, shotgun graphic glitch and the rigidness of the animation the game looks great. I don't blame the animation on 343 either since they're limited by the original engine. You can only do so much with an engine that is 10 years old. Hell for Saber to pull of what they have, it's downright amazing. I give them huge huge props for that too.

blamite

Karl2177 said:
I can't wait to see the opening cinematic of The Maw with new graphics and remastered audio.
That's definitely the skybox I'm most looking forward to seeing. That and the shot of (10 year old spoilers lolz)
the Halo exploding and smashing into itself
are going to be so awesome to see remastered.

blamite said:
That's definitely the skybox I'm most looking forward to seeing. That and the shot of (10 year old spoilers lolz)
the Halo exploding and smashing into itself
are going to be so awesome to see remastered.

why is your avatar pony related D:

Karl2177 said:
I can't wait to see the opening cinematic of The Maw with new graphics and remastered audio.
This thing is falling apart!
It'll hold
We're not gonna make it!
We'll make it
Pull up! Pull up!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
As excited for CEA as I am, I really can't wait to get CEA "over" and done with. We can only celebrate Halo's birthday for so long and when the music dies down and we clear up the deflated balloons, damaged furniture and pools of sick we can start getting ready for next party.

If it wasn't for Glasslands and Primordium to keep me quiet, I'd probably burst.

Slightly Live said:
As excited for CEA as I am, I really can't wait to get CEA "over" and done with. We can only celebrate Halo's birthday for so long and when the music dies down and we clear up the deflated balloons, damaged furniture and pools of sick we can start getting ready for next party.

If it wasn't for Glasslands and Primordium to keep me quiet, I'd probably burst.
Yup.

And thankfully Keyes still has his pipe. Though, for anyone who saw the cutscene, did the purple on the underside of the ring rub anyone else the wrong way? Everything else seemed cool.

feel

Probably less than 2 months away from the proper Halo 4 reveal and start of the prerelease hype period! Get excite!!

edit- Battle Rifle in the reveal video please.

Also, Im still pissed we didn't get new marines based off of the CE models. The Reach ones are nice, just well, they aren't CE marines. Ah well, that was probably a time constraint thing. Still, I wonder if that means only old 3d models were used? If so, I hope the flood got new textures at the very least.

Slightly Live said:

Agreed. I have super high hopes for those books. Only thing is I cant afford Glasslands nor
the JP Blu Ray
any time soon as all my money went to vet bills. Sad face.
=(

blamite

Dax01 said:
Yup.

And thankfully Keyes still has his pipe. Though, for anyone who saw the cutscene, did the purple on the underside of the ring rub anyone else the wrong way? Everything else seemed cool.
Wait, where is it? Is he just holding it behind his back now? That's better than it being gone i guess.

And yeah, the new lights on the ring bother me a bit. Actually they look more out of place from a distance then they do up close. Like a giant "Hey giant galactic weapon over here!" alert light.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
Wait, where is it? Is he just holding it behind his back now? That's better than it being gone i guess.

And yeah, the new lights on the ring bother me a bit. Actually they look more out of place from a distance then they do up close. Like a giant "Hey giant galactic weapon over here!" alert light.

I think I know where it is. It's not pretty though. We now know why he still walks like he has a stick up his ass.

MrBig

The more important question is whether or not Keye's mouth still thinks its holding onto that pipe after he takes it out.
Hopefully they didn't "fix" that wonderfully awesome bug

The camerawork for the first cutscene is different from the original. One thing I miss: The camera tracks in and Keyes closes his eyes and takes a deep breath as Cortana tells him how many Covenant ships they have to deal with.

I didn't realize how much that added to the scene until it was gone. Why did 343 change the camerawork and some of the actions that added drama?

Edit: Keyes doesn't really play with his pipe in the first cutscene. It's in the next one that it's more prominent.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
Probably less than 2 months away from the proper Halo 4 reveal and start of the prerelease hype period! Get excite!!
What makes you think that? I'd be pretty surprised if that turns out to be the case. I'm expecting next March or so, with a full blown reveal at E3.

PsychoRaven said:
I think I know where it is. It's not pretty though. We now know why he still walks like he has a stick up his ass.
PdTDV.gif

Was it them? I wasn't sure because 343 is in charge of all the story elements of Halo I would have thought they would be in charge of the cutscenes.

Whoever did it, there was no reason to change it.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Was it them? I wasn't sure because 343 is in charge of all the story elements of Halo I would have thought they would be in charge of the cutscenes.

Either way whoever did it kind should have kept it the same in that regard. While not a huge thing it irks me. Just like the change to the way John looks around in 343 GS when he is about to open the door.

Letters said:

edit- Battle Rifle in the reveal video please.

Im hoping for something at the Spike VGA's. Gameplay reveal trailer. 30secs-1min segment of them playing a random point during the campaign, show 2-3 weapons and a new enemy.

Something like Et Tu, Brute?

blamite

Dax01 said:

Another little difference that bothers me for some reason is the fact that the game now opens on the image of the POA rather than the Halo. It was cool to start the game looking at the huge mysterious artifact the game was named for, but I guess 343/Sabre was going for more of a build-up to the big reveal. It's not a huge deal, but it seems like a strange thing to change since it does change the impact of the scene a little bit.

Do we know what pressing the back button will do for cutscenes? Will be get the original camerawork and animations back, or the new versions of the scenes with classic graphics?

feel

omg.kittens said:
What makes you think that? I'd be pretty surprised if that turns out to be the case. I'm expecting next March or so, with a full blown reveal at E3.
Expecting a VGAs (December) reveal like Reach's.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
Another little difference that bothers me for some reason is the fact that the game now opens on the image of the POA rather than the Halo. It was cool to start the game looking at the huge mysterious artifact the game was named for, but I guess 343/Sabre was going for more of a build-up to the big reveal. It's not a huge deal, but it seems like a strange thing to change since it does change the impact of the scene a little bit.

Do we know what pressing the back button will do for cutscenes? Will be get the original camerawork and animations back, or the new versions of the scenes with classic graphics?

Nothing. You're locked into the graphics mode you had when the cutscene starts.

Letters said:

Ugh. As much as I love Halo I'd rather not. I remember sitting through that the past years for Halo stuff. Such an awful awful thing to watch.

Karl2177 said:

I can't wait for the cinematic at the end of the first mission.

The pod flying under the Autumn under siege is going to look badass...at 12 frames per second. trollface.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
Oh rad, I didn't know about that. All aboard the hype trainnnnnnnnn

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
The camerawork for the first cutscene is different from the original. One thing I miss: The camera tracks in and Keyes closes his eyes and takes a deep breath as Cortana tells him how many Covenant ships they have to deal with.

I didn't realize how much that added to the scene until it was gone. Why did 343 change the camerawork and some of the actions that added drama?

Edit: Keyes doesn't really play with his pipe in the first cutscene. It's in the next one that it's more prominent.

update_carpool.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That Franklez pic is fuckin' gold. Dani couldn't have shit better gold than that.

blamite said:

To be honest, I think that change was made to have the start of Anniversary continue exactly where Reach left off.

blamite

Syracuse022 said:
To be honest, I think that change was made to have the start of Anniversary continue exactly where Reach left off.
Yeah, and it works well as a continuation of the final scene of Reach, but I kind of wish that for this game we could just ignore Reach and focus on recreating Halo CE as it was.

This is just a super small nitpick of mine, and just a little thing that in the end doesn't matter that much. Just thought it was worth pointing out. :)

Top Bottom