• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wwm0nkey said:
So yeah Battlefield 3 is much much improved over the beta.
Get that OT shit outta this OT.

I just pre-ordered Skyward Sword hype hype hype

FyreWulff

blamite said:
Yeah, and it works well as a continuation of the final scene of Reach, but I kind of wish that for this game we could just ignore Reach and focus on recreating Halo CE as it was.

This is just a super small nitpick of mine, and just a little thing that in the end doesn't matter that much. Just thought it was worth pointing out. :)

It should be noted that a modern Keyes is always going to not match up with the Halo 1 version for multiple reasons, some of which is the fact that Halo 1 engine bipeds did not support being bumpmapped, only level geometry. They had to exaggerate his features (eyebrows and forehead) on the 2D texture on his model to compensate for it, because it would have been too much poly cost to actually model them.

In Halo 2 bipeds finally supported being bumpmapped, hence around the time Bungie was talking about how the main Chief model was more detailed yet used dramatically less polygon count than the Halo 1 model, because every 3D detail on Halo 1 chief is actually modeled.

Then you add in completely different lighting systems, Halo 1 made light colors really light and poppy while modern engines aim for more accuracy and range, so if the scene isn't bright, his hair is going to come across darker and 'younger' than the Halo 1 version.

PDtJa.png

You can more closely see the model lineage around the mouth. I'd chalk up the Anniversary version to artistic interpretation.

I didn't catch the glimpse of his CE:A badge, but I assume this means Keyes is going to have 3 different logos on his badge now (Marathon in H1, Seventh Column in Reach, and ?? in CEA)

FyreWulff said:
It should be noted that a modern Keyes is always going to not match up with the Halo 1 version for multiple reasons, some of which is the fact that Halo 1 engine bipeds did not support being bumpmapped, only level geometry. They had to exaggerate his features (eyebrows and forehead) on the 2D texture on his model to compensate for it, because it would have been too much poly cost to actually model them.

In Halo 2 bipeds finally supported being bumpmapped, hence around the time Bungie was talking about how the main Chief model was more detailed yet used dramatically less polygon count than the Halo 1 model, because every 3D detail on Halo 1 chief is actually modeled.

PDtJa.png

You can more closely see the model lineage around the mouth.

I understand that engine limitations are going to affect what the character looks like, but he also looks like a completely different person.

Ana analogy would be the models for the Bonds/Oddjob in Goldeneye. Even though their faces were just a low-res texture, it was still recognizable as that person, whereas if you just showed me those three models, without any prior knowledge, I'd think they were different people. They all have different hairlines, for one.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
I didn't catch the glimpse of his CE:A badge, but I assume this means Keyes is going to have 3 different logos on his badge now (Marathon in H1, Seventh Column in Reach, and ?? in CEA)

SP9U9.jpg

FyreWulff

He does look different in Anniversary, but at this point I can't tell if it's the different angles or if the difference comes from the Reach model having to be re-rigged for a simpler animation setup, or change for the sake of change so that people don't go "Hey you just re-used the Reach model".

His eyebrow ridge is definitely less prominent in CE:A

PsychoRaven said:

Non Infringing Vaguely Seventh Column Reference™

edit: Actually, in fact that's the Seventh Column with the center deleted :lol

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
He does look different in Anniversary, but at this point I can't tell if it's the different angles or if the difference comes from the Reach model having to be re-rigged for a simpler animation setup, or change for the sake of change so that people don't go "Hey you just re-used the Reach model".

His eyebrow ridge is definitely less prominent in CE:A

Non Infringing Vaguely Seventh Column Reference™

edit: Actually, in fact that's the Seventh Column with the center deleted :lol

To me it just kind of sucks the nameplate is blank. It was the same way in Reach.

FyreWulff said:

What? No.

FyreWulff said:

But they've already done that. A lot.

FyreWulff

Ajemsuhgao said:
What? No.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46656

http://palyvoice.com/node/15389

There are less polygons making up the new Master Chief in Halo 2, but thanks to bump-mapping, he looks the same if not better than he did in the first game. The overall result from bump-mapping is a better, smoother looking game that does not require much effort from the designers or the Xbox console

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/395/Halo-2/p2/

Yes, you read well and I’m not crazy. HALO 2 has models with less polygons than the original. And yes, that’s a good thing.

http://www.pvcmuseum.com/xbox/hey-guys-im-new-just-wanted-to-ask-few-questions.htm

Halo - 5,000 polygons masterchief
Halo 2 - 4,000 polygons masterchief

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=910371&postRepeater1-p=1#910471

It's one of those things that Bungie talked about all the time but I don't have a central Bungie source to link you, sorry.

Sooo the AR looks right in first person but every third person shot I've seen looks like it's using the MA5C model from Halo 3. Not a huge deal, but just sayin.

blamite

Barrow Roll said:
Sooo the AR looks right in first person but every third person shot I've seen looks like it's using the MA5C model from Halo 3. Not a huge deal, but just sayin.
Actually, for something that's as important and obvious as the gun you use all the time, I've never noticed a difference in the AR. maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough. I'll probably be happier if I keep it that way. :lol

Much prefer the Keyes in Reach to the one in CEA, but it's not a big deal to me. The facial animations looking like shit is more disappointing to me.

blamite said:
Actually, for something that's as important and obvious as the gun you use all the time, I've never noticed a difference in the AR. maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough. I'll probably be happier if I keep it that way. :lol
830px-Assault_Rifle_Comparisons.jpg

MA5B (Halo 1) is shorter and bulker.

MA5C (Halo 3, ODST) is longer and slimmer.

After quickly comparing some renders to the footage it definitely looks like they're using the Halo 3 model, without the green lights on the side. At least in third person shots anyways.

FyreWulff

*shrugs* Just working off the info Bungie fed us. That's gameplay model versus gameplay model and not the cutscene model, right?

FyreWulff

Ajemsuhgao said:

Now you have to take a time machine and go back and post that to all those threads.

Rickenslacker said:
Oh my god, of all the great things the XBLA version did, I hate that they turned Joanna into Devon Aoki. I loved the original design for her.

It's weird because they were fairly close to everyone else, especially Carrington, then they got to Joanna and went right off a cliff. She looks pretty, but she's not Joanna Dark to me. New Keyes is the same for other people. Art direction > MOAR POLIEZ.

Dax01 said:
The camerawork for the first cutscene is different from the original. One thing I miss: The camera tracks in and Keyes closes his eyes and takes a deep breath as Cortana tells him how many Covenant ships they have to deal with.

I didn't realize how much that added to the scene until it was gone.
Agreed re: that moments importance.
We don't get huge amounts of clear character/world setup, that's one of the early moments, highlighting a certain level of direness.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Is this (the) real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see,
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I'm easy come, easy go,
Little high, little low,
Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to
me, to me

PsychoRaven said:
Ugh. As much as I love Halo I'd rather not. I remember sitting through that the past years for Halo stuff. Such an awful awful thing to watch.
Microsoft doesn't care if it is an "awful awful thing to watch". Spike VGA's are one of the events in the USA. Million of people are watching it yearly.

minasodaboy said:
glasslands has...landed...via kindle!
So jealous. So jealous.

-----
Now I finished Levi's A Fistful of Arrows. I hope you are going to read it too. :) Check it out.

Magni

Hypertrooper said:
Howdy sir. Long time no read. Still regret that we haven't met at GamesCom '10. Next year definitely I promise! I hope you stick with us :)

I was off the continent this year, and should be again next year
interning for a game studio if all goes according to keikaku :D
, so I don't know when my next Gamescom experience will be :(

Tha Robbertster said:
The final of a fist full of arrows is up!

Levi did a really, really great job on this, I hope 343 will adopt this as canon and that they will look at him to make some more stuff for them in the future.
Levi is a really amazing guy. It was a pleasure for me to meet him at PAX this year. He definitely has a lot of fans in the industry.

Otherwise I beat you.

Tha Robbertster said:
Ah shit, didn't see the edit :p
No excuse. You posted your post at 01:46pm. I edited my post the last time at 12:24 PM. So you didn't read my post.

------

Did anyone read the GamesRadar preview of Halo: Anniversary? This part of the preview is very interesting:
Original developer Bungie never planned for you to see these things at such high detail and close proximity, but the current Halo caretakers at 343 Industries have added so much extra detail – big and small – that they seem to welcome fans’ scrutiny. A random and uninteresting computer terminal, for example, may now include a complex schematic for John-117’s SPARTAN armor… or for Linda-058’s, a name only recognizable to hardcore fans.
http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-anniversary-preview-why-word-remastered-doesnt-do-it-justice/

Tawpgun

Fistful of Arrows. Hory Shet.

What a fantastic work... I REALLY hope it gets canonized. Is it still compatible with Fall of Reach/First Strike? I don't recall there ever being a story as to how Halsey got to Castle.

If I was in charge of 343 I'd hire Levi at LEAST part time to crank out comics that give us short little stories from around the Haloverse.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
I REALLY hope it gets canonized

I hope not. The distinction between fan fiction and official work should be pretty clear cut - official work is commissioned, fan work isn't. That's not to say Levi isn't talented or anything, I think he'd have no problems finding work, heck I wouldn't mind seeing official Halo art done by the guy.

Just a big heck no to including fan content into canon.

+1 to hoping A Fistful of Arrows will be canonized and subsequently published hardcover by 343i. At the very least, one would hope they already have the papers drawn up to make him the next in a proud line of community pick-ups (Shishka, Voc, Cocop, etc.) - he absolutely deserves it.

Tawpgun

Slightly Live said:
I hope not. The distinction between fan fiction and official work should be pretty clear cut - official work is commissioned, fan work isn't. That's not to say Levi isn't talented or anything, I think he'd have no problems finding work, heck I wouldn't mind seeing official Halo art done by the guy.

Just a big heck no to including fan content into canon.
It wouldn't be a common thing.

If it gets enough support, is well made, and doesn't conflict with anything, why not? Levi would be the first and probably the only one unless someone can top him with something.

TheOddOne

daedalius said:
Apparently I need to make some halo art so I can get hits from you guys too.
I heard that pregnant fanart is really all the rage these days.

Please don't post MasterChiefpregnant.jpg, please?

Top Bottom