• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

I'm pleased with how quickly halo 5 has snuck up on me - 0 more sleeps as I assume it will be unlocked midnight gmt?

This may be the first halo game I haven't been anxiously waiting for and that's kind of nice - looking forward to digging into it for an hour or so tonight

Unfortunately, I won't be playing Halo on release night. This thread is probably going to be the I-don't-have-a-copy-of-Halo-5 thread for the next week or so I imagine. It's already pretty quiet in here.

Genuinely upsetting that even the Campaigns still aren't bug free. Probably well known by now, but the lighting in the last cutscene on "Reclaimer" is completely off...except for the character models.

JXH4Ecr.jpg

Montresor

I'm still not done all the Halo games so I can't start/buy Halo 5 yet.

Last night I got to the very end of ODST though. So just one more ODST mission and then only Reach and Halo 4 left.

Montresor

Just finished ODST and listened to every audio log - what a great departure this game was from Halo 1, 2, and 3. And I like how the audio logs gave us an examination of what humans will behave like during any apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic scenario. Very cool.

Thankfully every single audio log achievement popped for me. Sorry Akai!

Now to play Reach... on 360 blergh. Too bad this was never remastered for XB1. It's too late to wait for a remaster at this point. Will start Reach on 360 tonight. Hopefully I'm done Reach and Halo 4 by tomorrow. That will mean I can start Halo 5 on Thursday.

Karl2177

Thing still says I don't have the 6th audio log unlocked, and I bet it'll stay that way forever. Maybe we'll get lucky come NXOE time and all achievements will stop using that stupid queue system.

Genuinely upsetting that even the Campaigns still aren't bug free. Probably well known by now, but the lighting in the last cutscene on "Reclaimer" is completely off...except for the character models.
I haven't finished that mission yet because of bugs. Had similar problems with Halo 4 when it came out. Either certain script cues wouldn't fire off leaving the mission in a limbo state, or else the world would disappear and it'd be me and a skybox while all the audio kept going. Worst Halo campaign mission ever.

I haven't finished that mission yet because of bugs. Had similar problems with Halo 4 when it came out. Either certain script cues wouldn't fire off leaving the mission in a limbo state, or else the world would disappear and it'd be me and a skybox while all the audio kept going. Worst Halo campaign mission ever.
That sucks. Fortunately, I've never had any actual issues playing the level, whether it was on 360 or on MCC.

Khort

Being not interested by competitive multi-player but extremely by co-op, I am on the fence to buy an Xbox one with this game (already got a ps4).
Reading the most recent posts I am still unsure if this game was enough patched to be enjoyable in co-op with friends. Could also get halo5 but there is less content and probably as much bugs :)

Edit:I should have mentioned I already played all of them on Xbox or xbox360 but don't mind replaying them!

Fuchsdh

You mostly just need to make sure you don't leave the loop where the Lich is until you get the right loading zones. It's actually a bit easier to deliberately break it (you jump up onto the ledges, trigger the Lich to spawn, then immediately jump in and destroy it; the Elephant will sort of get stuck where it is and not want to proceed but you can jump across everything yourself and it's still faster than the normal scripted set.)

Fuchsdh

Has anyone here found a good trick to getting the Halo 3 Flipyap achievement in MCC?

I didn't get it for the longest time, and it popped randomly. Since it's based on random dialogue I dunno if there's really any good option for triggering it aside from always playing with the IWHBYD skull active.

TrueAchievements.com has a few guides for the achievement you can try, they seemed to help people who were stuck.

Montresor

I didn't get it for the longest time, and it popped randomly. Since it's based on random dialogue I dunno if there's really any good option for triggering it aside from always playing with the IWHBYD skull active.

TrueAchievements.com has a few guides for the achievement you can try, they seemed to help people who were stuck.

I tried almost all of those previously with no luck. But christ, I just got it to pop using this method:

Go to Career > Achievements > Halo 3 > and choose Flipyap to be taken to a menu with settings configured for this achievement. The menu showed Difficulty = Normal and only the IWHBYD skull active. I played through the level normally going for five other unrelated achievements (Blind skull, Iron skull, and the three Missing Link achievements) and it just popped randomly in the middle of the level. There was a battle with 10 or so grunts but I didn't hear any special dialogue. Oh well - got the achievement!

What's weird is I tried this for an hour on Sierra 117 with no luck. I heard the long "I went to Nipple Academy with him" speech twice, and then once I heard the short "You killed Yapyap" dialogue and no achievement.

A user named "TBP Maestro" used that method and posted it in one of those achievement guides... so thank you TBP Maestro for that tip. And thanks Fuchsdh.

Finished Halo 4 last night, finally gone through the entire MCC on Heroic, even though I've owned it since the day it released, and I'm finally ready to start Halo 5. Upon revisiting Halo 4's campaign and the story, I thought that Halo 4 + Terminals was actually pretty good. In fact, the Terminals are so essential to understanding the Didact's motivations, hiding them away was a huge misstep. Without the Terminals the game's story deserves all the criticism it got, and the usage of Terminals at all to tell essential information is worthy of criticism too. I hope Halo 5 doesn't fall into the same trappings.

Montresor

Reach finally finished. What an incredible game. What a wonderful ending and segueway into
Halo CE

Halo CE: 4/5
Halo 2: 5/5
Halo 3: 4.5/5
Halo ODST: 4.5/5
Halo Reach: 4.5/5

I'm surprised at how consistently incredible this entire series has been so far. I only give Halo CE that lower score because some of the level design is repetitive in levels like The Library and Two Betrayals. Now onto Halo 4.... I'm very excited about the graphics and cautiously hoping the criticism against the game's level design is overblown...

Reach finally finished. What an incredible game. What a wonderful ending and segueway into
Halo CE

Halo CE: 4/5
Halo 2: 5/5
Halo 3: 4.5/5
Halo ODST: 4.5/5
Halo Reach: 4.5/5

I'm surprised at how consistently incredible this entire series has been so far. I only give Halo CE that lower score because some of the level design is repetitive in levels like The Library and Two Betrayals. Now onto Halo 4.... I'm very excited about the graphics and cautiously hoping the criticism against the game's level design is overblown...
Do yourself a favor and locate the Terminals in Halo 4 as you play the game, they're a huge help in understanding the story.

http://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/halo-master-chief-collection/Halo_4_Terminal_Locations

Montresor

Do yourself a favor and locate the Terminals in Halo 4 as you play the game, they're a huge help in understanding the story.

http://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/halo-master-chief-collection/Halo_4_Terminal_Locations

I read your previous post and saw terminals were vital to understanding the story but I'm not convinced that it would be necessary to go through the inconvenience of using a terminal location guide in my first playthrough. I fully expect and believe you that I may be a little lost but I prefer to go through blind and then nab the terminals after a first playthrough - only because there's always a chance to spoil location/story/character stuff when looking at a collectible guide.

I already know some preliminary information about the Didact thanks to Halo 1,2, 3's story and terminals. The Didact is a Promethean who was in love with another Promethean called The Librarian. Both the Didact and The Librarian were the original architects/engineers/designers of the Halo array. To the Didact's dismay, thousands of years past they were forced to fire the Halo array to combat the Flood, and the Librarian was caught in that initial firing and died as a result.

The only thing I don't understand is the following:

1) In Halo 3 terminals, The Librarian and The Didact referred to The Mantle - I don't know what that is. Is it a doctrine, a series of rules, a code to live by?

2) In Halo 3 terminals, The Librarian and The Didact talk as if The Mantle and various orders were given to them by some higher-up - I don't know who that higher-up is - who could have a higher authority than The Didact and The Librarian?

3) Is it correct to say Forerunners = Prometheans? I know Forerunners must be the people that originally created the Halo array. And I know the Didact and The Librarian were responsible for the original Halo array. And the Didact and the Librarian were Prometheans. But I don't know if I can make the leap of logic towards saying all Forerunners are Prometheans.

Ocho

2) In Halo 3 terminals, The Librarian and The Didact talk as if The Mantle and various orders were given to them by some higher-up - I don't know who that higher-up is - who could have a higher authority than The Didact and The Librarian?

3) Is it correct to say Forerunners = Prometheans? I know Forerunners must be the people that originally created the Halo array. And I know the Didact and The Librarian were responsible for the original Halo array. And the Didact and the Librarian were Prometheans. But I don't know if I can make the leap of logic towards saying all Forerunners are Prometheans.

2) The Forefrunners and Humans were created by the alien gods known as the Precursors (they were literally gods). They created the Forerunners to hold the Mantle, aka be responsible for all livings things in the galaxy, and after they deemed them a failure, created the humans in turn to uphold the Mantle. The Forerunners didn't like that. Stuff happened. The Flood appeared.

3) Play Halo 4 (although I don't remember if it is only explained by the terminals).

Hey I finally got my xbox back and was wondering if there is a consensus on whether to to do digital or disc. I'm tired of seeing little spoilers in every single thread including this onen despite there being a spoiler thread, an OT thread, a lore thread, a a review thead, a performance thread, and more. So I just need to play through it real quick and get it over with.

I read your previous post and saw terminals were vital to understanding the story but I'm not convinced that it would be necessary to go through the inconvenience of using a terminal location guide in my first playthrough. I fully expect and believe you that I may be a little lost but I prefer to go through blind and then nab the terminals after a first playthrough - only because there's always a chance to spoil location/story/character stuff when looking at a collectible guide.

I already know some preliminary information about the Didact thanks to Halo 1,2, 3's story and terminals. The Didact is a Promethean who was in love with another Promethean called The Librarian. Both the Didact and The Librarian were the original architects/engineers/designers of the Halo array. To the Didact's dismay, thousands of years past they were forced to fire the Halo array to combat the Flood, and the Librarian was caught in that initial firing and died as a result.

The only thing I don't understand is the following:

1) In Halo 3 terminals, The Librarian and The Didact referred to The Mantle - I don't know what that is. Is it a doctrine, a series of rules, a code to live by?

The Mantle is short for the Mantle of Responsibility. It's basically that the most technologically advanced species is the responsibility to look after the welfare of the less advanced species.

2) The Forefrunners and Humans were created by the alien gods known as the Precursors (they were literally gods). They created the Forerunners to hold the Mantle, aka be responsible for all livings things in the galaxy, and after they deemed them a failure, created the humans in turn to uphold the Mantle. The Forerunners didn't like that. Stuff happened. The Flood appeared.

3) Play Halo 4 (although I don't remember if it is only explained by the terminals).

I really wouldn't quite say literally. In the sense that they were so technologically advanced they could create/shape the evolution of sentient life-forms they're god-like, but even then I would say there's a bit between that and literal deity.

Also, to expand a little, the Flood were actually created by/from the Precursors as well, as both a final judgement for the Forerunners (and humanity), and the perfect unification of all life and knowledge.

Montresor

I know this might seem a little nuts, but I drew up an Excel sheet and wrote down all the "doable" achievements I have left in Master Chief Collection. I left off anything to do with getting 100 or so medals in matchmade games, and left off any par score achievement with a TA ratio above 3.00 (I've tried them myself - way too hard), anything to do with LASO (except the beat 1 LASO mission achievement), and anything to do with Legendary 3-hour runs.

For me there are 238 "doable" achievements left, worth 2770 gamerscore.

I currently have 294 achievements earned, worth 2230 gamerscore.

That should give me 532 overall achievements and exactly 5,000 gamerscore - I'd be ecstatic with that. I really want to hit the 5,000 milestone with this game.

Montresor

Halo 4's story is making me feel really sad. Story spoiler:
Cortana =( It makes me very sad to see how she is deteriorating...
. I'm at the last mission of Halo 4 so I should be done later tonight.

Downloading the game while im at work tonight. thanks for the help in deciding to go ditigal. lol /sarcasm :3

Sorry bruv. It's too late to help but digital is really really convenient if you have multiple consoles at home. With one Xbox set as your home Xbox, you can play on multiple consoles and other family members can use your "home Xbox" for Halo.

Sorry bruv. It's too late to help but digital is really really convenient if you have multiple consoles at home. With one Xbox set as your home Xbox, you can play on multiple consoles and other family members can use your "home Xbox" for Halo.
Ha no problem. Here's something someone might be able to answer for me: what are you guys spending REQ points on? Is it better to go Gold or Silver?

Montresor

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Halo 4, especially if you decided to forgo tracking down the Terminals.

I ended up watching all of them during the campaign, except for Terminals 6 and 7 (the last two).

So you're right they're very important to understanding why the main villain is so angry at humans.

I liked the game. It was gorgeous - the level design and art style was consistently beautiful. The levels were fun and gun play was tight.

I thought the story was great. I loved how they approached Cortana's storyline and it was awesome that they finally showed
Didact and Librarian
after hinting about them so much in previous games' terminals.

I have to say that after having played Halo 4 I think the criticism regarding needing to know the expanded universe seems overblown. I've never watched a halo tv show or movie or read a halo book and I was fine. Terminals are definitely vital but they're included in the game. Granted, I was fine only because I've played the previous Halos and saw their terminals.

I do see how people can think low of the campaign overall though. Personally I loved it give it a 4/5. It doesn't have the game play or story highs of previous games but it looks beautiful and has an awesome Cortana story arc.

You finished Halo. Congratulations. I'm only at 25% :(
Ha i'm at 27%, but i haven't played the game in almost a year.

So far I've only played through the first level of Halo 5. I think the biggest take away for me is that I prefer UNSC weapons and not covenant or forerunner weapons. I never did the beta for H5 and so I'm noobing it up with the controls.

Finished the second level of Halo 5 today lol. I'm blowing through this game! Curiously, I didn't get any new REQ points. Do you only get those through multiplayer or what? Playing through a whole campaign level should net you something.

Fuchsdh

Finished the second level of Halo 5 today lol. I'm blowing through this game! Curiously, I didn't get any new REQ points. Do you only get those through multiplayer or what? Playing through a whole campaign level should net you something.

Only through multiplayer, yeah. I agree, you should get something, though.

Only through multiplayer, yeah. I agree, you should get something, though.
Yeah that's a really strange decision by 343. Some people prefer campaign. Some people prefer multiplayer. Why not both gif

EDIT: I get that the rewards are almost solely for multiplayer, but still.

Chitown B

I do see how people can think low of the campaign overall though. Personally I loved it give it a 4/5. It doesn't have the game play or story highs of previous games but it looks beautiful and has an awesome Cortana story arc.

I hate Prometheans. They're not fun to fight. It's a technical exercise, not a shootout like it is with Elites and Grunts. H4 does not look like Halo. All the orange is not Halo. Halo is blue/green/purple.

Montresor

Well my vacation is over (I'm back at work now - boo) and here's the damage report. All campaigns were done on normal and in MCC (except for Reach). FYI my work vacation officially started Friday Oct 20th.

Oct 11th: Finished Halo CE
Oct 20th: Finished Halo 2
Oct 25th: Finished Halo 3
Oct 27th: Finished Halo ODST
Oct 29th: Finished Halo Reach (on 360)
Oct 31st: Finished Halo 4

So I did not end up starting Halo 5 or Spartan Ops. I'm going to watch the Spartan Ops cutscenes online on Halo channel, then tackle Halo 5.

Either way that was an incredible ride. This has been my first exposure to Halo and I'm very very impressed with the game play, characters, and story. Man it feels AMAZING to be able to spout off terms like Reclaimer, The Ark, Monitor, etc... and know exactly what they all mean. Those terms were like a big mystery to me prior to seriously playing Halo but now I'm all in on Halo lore.

They didn't change anything gameplay wise about H2A, so the Brutes are the same as they were originally. Unless you have a headshot capable weapon, they can soak up quite a bit of damage. A few shots to the head with a Carbine or Beam Rifle does the easily does the trick though. You have to knock their skullcap off then finish them off.

Ah okay. Just felt like I was struggling more in H2:A with 2-3 Brutes compared to multiple Brutes at once in H3 with the same difficulty. Maybe I had more room to move around in H3? *shrug*

I've heard mixed things regarding Halo: Uprising. All the important stuff you need to know can be gleaned from the Plot Synopsis on Halopedia if you don't feel like actually reading it.
http://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Uprising

Gotcha. I read through all of that and yeah that sounded underwhelming. I still wish we got MC's time in the Dreadnought as the first level in H3.

Also, Halo 3 takes place about 2 weeks after the end of Halo 2. Johnson, the Arbiter and Miranda all make it back to Earth aboard an Elite vessel before Chief and Forerunner Dreadnought does. This vid should help fill in the blanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjpAp4-E50.

Thanks for this! I was confused about why the Prophet was on Earth but the Terminal videos cleared that up.

Well this thread is happening lol. I've made it a little over halfway through the campaign in Halo 5. Still digesting everything and I'm not ready to form an opinion until I'm completely finished. One thing I feel is lacking is the music, but that might just be me. I have yet to touch matchmaking. I almost went into Warzone this morning, but refrained as I was tired. Which means I'm missing the REQ points and the feels. I still hate that the majority of the time I'm stuck using covenant/promethean weapons. The pistol, BR, and DMR are quite enjoyable to use, but spare ammo is rarely found on any of the levels. I'm playing through the campaign on heroic and maybe I'm just slow, but the game is going to take me longer than 6 hours lol. I'm torn between killing enemies and searching for hidden intel and other secrets. I suppose if you're playing on normal difficulty and all you did was race through the levels without killing much or doing any exploration, you could knock the game out in 5-6 hours, but that's not what I would call actually playing the game.

I just wanted to say that last night I had a wonderful experience playing MCC.

Was finding multiplayer matches constantly, no issue whatsoever.

I am still awful.

Halo 4 looks incredible.

I just wanted to say that last night I had a wonderful experience playing MCC.

Was finding multiplayer matches constantly, no issue whatsoever.

I am still awful.

Halo 4 looks incredible.
4 does have a nice look to it. I would have enjoyed the matchmaking more if it weren't for all of the weird armor abilities and ordnance drops. By the time 343 changed things I had already stopped playing though. The campaign I enjoyed, but I think the consensus on neogaf was it wasn't that great. Make sure you find all the terminals to help with the backstory. I put 4's campaign just behind Combat Evolved (my favorite). haters gonna hate lol.

4 does have a nice look to it. I would have enjoyed the matchmaking more if it weren't for all of the weird armor abilities and ordnance drops. By the time 343 changed things I had already stopped playing though. The campaign I enjoyed, but I think the consensus on neogaf was it wasn't that great. Make sure you find all the terminals to help with the backstory. I put 4's campaign just behind Combat Evolved (my favorite). haters gonna hate lol.

I've noticed that people who favored/started with CE seem to be a lot more likely to enjoy 4 than people who favored/started with Halo 2 or 3. Not sure what that implies, but it is interesting. They do have somewhat similar storytelling and a fairly similar structure in places, so it could be that.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Alright chaps, Xbox One MCC bundle is only £190 on Amazon. I've been playing a bit of Halo CE on PC recently and it's a lot more fun than I remember.

Worth picking up a Bone?

Does it come with a free month of LIVE too?

Top Bottom