• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

Gui_PT

lybertyboy said:
I'm looking into it. There are some issues we have to cross before we post something like that, but we'll do our best to make sure you get a taste of the soundtrack before launch.

That's awesome. Thank you.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
squidhands said:
There was a question for the Multiplayer panel about further Elite customization, and the response was along the lines of "there will be no further armory customization". Makes me wonder if this was just in reference to Elites, or if it also means that the new Spartan helmet that was floating around a while back is part of that answer in terms of what to expect in the TU.

Anyone in the know care to shed some extra light on that?

Anyone?

There will be no additions to Reach's Armoury in the TU or Halo CE Anniversary.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
And Shishka was pushing for Turf. (new map pack post CEA with Turf and Terminal please)

Based on what we have seen, what would be my dream MM set up would be that the "no bloom" gametypes (no bloom on DMR, Pistol, NR and nerfed AA's) would become the default Reach and then the "Anniversary" gametypes (3sk pistol, no AA's, 120 movement) would become a set of classic hoppers.

Of course it is very unlikely that they would actually replace the default Reach hoppers sadly.
Bloomless gameplay needs fast movement speed. Slow movement and hyper accuracy = erryones deeeeeeeaaad.

feel

Is it just me or there's more fog in this picture than in the vids? (can't check a vid properly right now)
1z6v2vq.jpg

edit- just checked, that little bit of fog shown in the screenshot above is there in the vids. Still crossing fingers they let a little bit more fog into the remade level.

edit2- the shininess of chief's armor in these screenshots reminds me of the screenshots in magazines around the original's release. :)

MrBig

Letters said:
Is it just me or there's more fog in this picture than in the vids? (can't check a vid properly right now)
edit- just checked, that little bit of fog shown in the screenshot above is there in the vids. Still crossing fingers they let a little bit more fog into the remade level.
Fog is still in it's just not as dense and so is way back in the tree line. Not a fan. I do like the new color pallet though.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I don't see how it can be a Precursor. *redacted*.
I bought Cryptum yesterday. Please don't drop any more random major spoilers into the thread. I am catching up on the threads now that I'm back from PAX and didn't expect to see a book I just bought get spoiled in them.

Watching/listening to the Halo Universe panel now. Holy shit, Stacker is hilarious. Loving his commentary on the Halo scriptwriting.

"We'll be back with more of 'Masters of the Obvious: Writers of Halo' in just a moment."

rofl

Not trying to double post this, but it fits into both threads equally...

Wow, weekend is over and my legs are still burning from walking/standing for basically the past three days straight. But I am happy to have done it again and look forward to PAX next year (or perhaps PAX East if something interesting is announced).

We arrived in Seattle early Thursday so we could pick up the badges from Will Call. We showed up around 2:30 and there was a decent sized line for the badges but it was moving along pretty good.
rFx1Kl.jpg

Badges in hand we were ready to head out for some much needed Chipotle
aJSujl.jpg

fv9YKl.jpg

eNNQEl.jpg

Afterwards we headed back to the house and pretty much had an early night so we could wake up early the next morning for the CEA panel.... I of course wore one of my best shirts Friday morning (sadly only got a few comments on it)
SvVKfl.jpg

On our way to the panel we stopped for breakfast at Jack in the Box and were blown away with the fancy Robo Waiter machine you guys have here in America.
1VKRvl.jpg

Arriving at the Sherator we were at first concerned that we were in the wrong area since there were only two other people waiting in line... I asked around and was told we were in the right spot, so good seats were in our future.
mAPENl.jpg

While waiting Laird showed up and had us sign his gift to 343i
K3zMfl.jpg

DjYVyl.jpg

Ellis almost ruined the surprise, but fortunately kept a tight lip
zWRnXl.jpg

While all this was going on I wandered outside to see the lineup for HaloFest. By this point I would say both of our lines were equal in length.
HaloFest Line
NEBDxl.jpg

Panel Line
BHxd4l.jpg

Shortly after we were let inside to get our seats. We managed to get front row centre, and I was able to get what has to be the best picture of Wu I have ever seen.
JML0Nl.jpg

Ellis looking pretty
eLUkll.jpg

Campaign Demo Time!
0UY1il.jpg

The panel was really great, it was informative and fun and seeing how GOOD CEA looks really makes me excited to play through the campaign again. Each time they would switch back and forth my jaw would drop. It is amazing how 'bad' Halo: CE really did look in comparison with games today.

Afterwards we hit the main floor and immediately went to play Skyrim. While waiting in line someone from G4 asked my friends girlfriend if she would be on TV with Adam and Morgan to ask a question about Skyrim... She accepted and we went over with her and watched them do it. It is amazing how scripted and fake the whole thing is.... The question she asked wasn't even her question, it was something the G4 guy told her to ask. The cued laughs and applauses were a bit much for me, but it was fun to see how it all works.
1Ee7sl.jpg

Afterwards we went over to play Skyrim... This game is ammmmazing, I know I am going to lose countless hours to this game when it comes out in November.
KYIjGl.jpg

With that done I wanted desperately to get my hands on the TU. We went over to HaloFest and sat down at the 4v4 Hopper and were given full control of what map/game type to choose, naturally we chose to play all of them.
hoPjjl.jpg

The TU plays really well, my favourite game type was Zero Bloom Slayer and I feel like with a little bit of tweaking the 3-Shot Pistol Kill gametype could be an absolute blast (GET RID OF THE BLOOM!). Of all of the maps I played I would say that I have no clear favorite (Speaking between Prisoner, Damnation, Beaver Creak). All of the maps play really well and I liked both variants of each map. I honestly cannot wait for CEA to come out just so I can get my hands on these maps and get a chance to play them at home.

After we played around on those 3 maps with all of the updated gametypes we wandered over to the Big Team Battle station to play Timber land (Ridgeline).
3knrxl.jpg

This map plays really well, albeit a little different than it did in Halo PC. The inclusion of the little structure for Rockets on either side of the map really changes the flow of gameplay. I wish they would get rid of the structures and put the OS back in the middle, I think that would benefit gameplay/map flow a lot. Also get rid of the barricades that stop vehicles from entering the bases :(

After playing all the new maps/game types we wandered around and check out a few things.

The Warthog is AMAZING... Honestly cannot explain how insanely detailed and well crafted this thing is. I would give anything to go for a ride in this or to be able to see it drive around.
LEA0Al.jpg

We did a lot of other things on Friday but nothing really of interest... That night though we were invited to the VIP party so we went to that.

Free drinks with invite, what's wrong with that?
w0oadl.jpg

The cake was amazing, honestly.
GyLO4l.jpg

kMxQpl.jpg

Special Halo Fest napkins!
npp5ml.jpg

Beer and Halo, who could ask for more?
V9DSOl.jpg

They had a couple giveaways/awards that night, include the Claude Errera award (Congrats Claude <3). He ended up winning a Modded Duke controller that was turned into a wireless 360 controller. It was #1 of 6 made. The second giveaway was for the best costume, which a LED covered MC won.
zzea2l.jpg

After the MC won the controller I walked up to him and asked him if I could buy the controller off him. I knew that I wanted one of these controllers more than anything else, and if it didn't mean that much to him I would rather try and have it. He agreed and a deal was made... Wireless duke controller #2 is now mine <3
hVx38l.jpg

VnDTUl.jpg

The day was light and the night even longer, I was exhausted and ready for bed. I knew we would have to wake up early for GAF breakfast, WOULDNT WANT TO LET ANYONE DOWN.

I woke up early the next morning and arrived at the place 20 minutes early to set up all the tables and chairs for our large group. However everyone except for Sean.P and Duncan bailed so just the three groups had breakfast together. It was honestly embarassing to have so many people bail on me, and really doesn't motivate me to try and set something like this up again next year. The salt in the wound was the fact that 90% of the GAF'ers that bailed on my breakfast on Saturday ended up going to the HBO breakfast on Sunday. Oh well, we all had a good time talking and eating food so it turned out ok.
jQQhKl.jpg

We arrived at the Expo early and had an hour to kill until the place opened up. We decided to hit up the Retro Console free play...
This thing is amazing... It has pretty much every console stuffed into it, including a projector to display the image of whatever game/console you're playing. It's insanity.
gKyj8l.jpg

wBMoil.jpg

DjGMQl.jpg

We played N64 for an hour (007 Multi Player!)
U2aKZl.jpg

VeCE7l.jpg

Afterwards we lined up for the Bioshock booth.... A hour+ later we realized the lineup was for NOTHING. you looked at some paintings and did a 5 question quiz for a shot at winning a t-shirt.... THE END. Stupid...

With the bad taste in my mouth I decided the only thing to get it out would be to visit the GOG booth... These grandmas baked cookies non-stop. All you had to do was stop by the booth and they would hand you a warm chocolate chip or white macadamia cookie... I made several stops to this booth throughout the weekend.
nwEw7l.jpg

We did a bunch of other things throughout the day, mainly played more TU Halo... And after the day was done we were wondering what to do. I happened to check Twitter and saw that Sega had bought out Gameswork for the night and there was free booze, free food, unlimited games all night. It was a no brainer, we walked across the street and got in.
Bracelet to get in
tdXYul.jpg

MASSIVE line
0jeZBl.jpg

Badge
ao6XJl.jpg

Food!
Y1efFl.jpg

Overview
UjH9Gl.jpg

d9vW7l.jpg

The night was a lot of fun, it could have been boring since there was nothing else for us to do but I am really happy we decided to go. One of the more enjoyable memories of the trip since it was such a spontaneous last minute decision.

Sunday morning we woke up early for the Halo 4 panel... We got into line and were close to the front of the line with Sean.P.
BZPkll.jpg

FLg8Zl.jpg

However after waiting in line Claude and co. walked by and I saw that we had a chance to go in early (HBO & GAF <3). We checked out the theatre and got a chance to sit inside and visit with all of the other community folks, it was a lot of fun.

Calm before the storm
5JqRRl.jpg

tMU0ol.jpg

The theatre is old and amazing looking, I love the style of the building
WKTnBl.jpg

glmwQl.jpg

zW9Gyl.jpg

ZwFXQl.jpg

While waiting I saw Alison and asked her if she could get my controller signed by everyone... She was more than happy to and came back with more signatures than I could have hoped for. Thank you very much Alison <3
e4V7Fl.jpg

Mister Cheif
TWUZBl.jpg

After we were told the panel would begin soon and we took our seats.
TbJd5l.jpg

RlRdyl.jpg

Before the panel actually began Corrinne Yu (Principal Engine Programmer for the Halo Franchise Team) sat down beside me and started making small talk... She talked to me about all of the games/projects she has worked on. The things she has done are amazing, and she was really nice to talk to. I love meeting people who are genuinely good people, it was nice.

Panel is about to begin
PN4W0l.jpg

Mid-way through the bring MC onto stage, pretty cool
8ZVlKl.jpg

After the panel was done I was certainly more excited for Halo 4 and admittedly a little sad that we didn't get any huge news out of the panel. But I still enjoyed it.

The rest of the day I wandered around checking out the things I had already seen...

Misc HaloFest pictures
el3sTl.jpg

Guess who's back that is (not intentional, I realized after that she was standing there... Pretty easy to miss her ;))
g1c6fl.jpg

MegaBloks
Kl56cl.jpg

Tourney
WrurJl.jpg

Misc Pictures

Resistance 3
3jGmZl.jpg

Grunty
hfmxcl.jpg

I have a little bit of swag to give away but honestly I didn't spend much time getting free stuff... The line-ups were stupidly massive for everything. :( Sorry GAF
QAXWIl.jpg

I will try and figure out the best way to give away the Mega Bloks & Codes... The magazines and the little tiny Mega Bloks seem almost not worth while to send in the mail... We will see though. Any ideas on how to raffle them off?

Well my writeup isn't full of juicy info but it was my weekend in a nutshell. I had a ton of fun and cannot wait to do it again next year.

Thank you so much 343 for putting on HaloFest and spending time working to make Reach better for the community. I honestly think if it wasn't for Halo I wouldn't go to PAX. My main draw each year is to see what new and exciting things are coming and to get to see all of you guys.

<3

Sibylus

Banned
Letters said:
1z6v2vq.jpg

edit2- the shininess of chief's armor in these screenshots reminds me of the screenshots in magazines around the original's release. :)
I'm with you. The fog effect may be cheap and ancient, but it's quite the effective mood tool. If nothing else, I hope they lay the fog on thick when you emerge from the structure, it looking like daylight around that time would be a really significant atmospheric departure.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
When I was watching the 3D presentation of 343GS, I was wondering why they changed the AR's aesthetics to be from the Halo3 AR while every other weapon's using Reach's aesthetics.

GhaleonEB said:
I bought Cryptum yesterday. Please don't drop any more random major spoilers into the thread. I am catching up on the threads now that I'm back from PAX and didn't expect to see a book I just bought get spoiled in them.
My apologies. It was only unmarked because, well, Vire started posting major spoilers without tagging them as well. My mistake for following his lead.

If you wanna be spoiler free, don't read the entirety of this thread. Just follow along with the current discussion.

Edit: And where's my picture story? :)

Vire

Nice pictures man, looks like it was a lot of fun. Wish I could have went....

Dax01 said:
My apologies. It was only unmarked because, well, Vire started posting major spoilers without tagging them as well. My mistake for following his lead.

If you wanna be spoiler free, don't read the entirety of this thread. Just follow along with the current discussion.

Edit: And where's my picture story? :)

Ohhh blame it on me aye. ;) Haha. I can go back and tag if you'd like. Didn't know Cryptum was still spoiler tag worthy since it came out a lil while ago.

Yeah Ghaleon, I made a few spoilerific posts about Cryptum too. I started spoilering them near the end, but still. My apologies if you happen to run across one.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I gotta say, meeting my life-long hero, C3PO (who was hanging out and resting in the Halo crew room), was one of best nerdlights of my life.

This guy was a deadringer for Anthony Daniels. It was amazing.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Devin, excellent write up. Shame that the breakfast went to shit, I had a great time at it last year.
The breakfast was too early. I wanted to go. But I couldn't find it. According to ncsuDuncan's blog entry the restaurant were between the 4th and 5th Avenue but there was just an American Bank. :/ After searching a good Wifi spot I found the name of the restaurant and asked a Police Officer. She showed me the way. After I was nearly there. Duncan spotted me and said the breakfast is over.:[

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Just one question. Anybody remembers the exact recipe for a Guilty Spark (the drink served at the VIP party)? I had a couple of them and they were awesome, but I forgot to take a picture of the recipe which was in the counter.

Devin Olsen said:

Pretty sure I played the Hopper with you, or your friend in the blue, my second game at least.

You (or your friend) and that one dude argued about switching teams or something.

He wanted to fight you I overheard him saying as I was headed out.

AHappyPanda said:
Pretty sure I played the Hopper with you, or your friend in the blue, my second game at least.

You (or your friend) and that one dude argued about switching teams or something.

He wanted to fight you I overheard him saying as I was headed out.
Hahaha yeah that was me. The guy wasn't able to grasp the simple concept that he had to switch teams. We were all on Blue and he had to switch to red, but refused.

lol cannot believe he was that mad.

chespace said:
I gotta say, meeting my life-long hero, C3PO (who was hanging out and resting in the Halo crew room), was one of best nerdlights of my life.

This guy was a deadringer for Anthony Daniels. It was amazing.
Damn. I didn't notice that you are on Gaf. I saw you a lot. Never find the courage to talk with you.
btw you have 3.43 posts per day. What a coincidence.

wwm0nkey

godhandiscen said:
Just one question. Anybody remembers the exact recipe for a Guilty Spark (the drink served at the VIP party)? I had a couple of them and they were awesome, but I forgot to take a picture of the recipe which was in the counter.
A guilty Spark themed drink? Someone post how to make it now!

wwm0nkey

Shadow Moses said:
So disappointed. I was expecting Halo 1 MP but with updated graphics not this Reach shit. Very very disappointed. I guess it's just SP for me, just like Reach. :(
Title Update is adding back in classic gameplay mechanics, so there is that.

Shadow Moses said:
So disappointed. I was expecting Halo 1 MP but with updated graphics not this Reach shit. Very very disappointed. I guess it's just SP for me, just like Reach. :(

Title update add "classic Halo CE multiplayer gameplay types". No need to freak out!

KageMaru

Sorry to bump this for thread for probably nothing, but I was wondering if we ever figured out what was described in this post:

Vinterbird said:
I think they will be shown ther,e but what they demoed to me was not that, but something new for C.E, which I found terribly exciting, especially for what it will mean for the future of the series and MS in general.

??

As a fan of default Reach, I'm happy with everything 343i showed and more importantly, said, at Halo Fest.

They acknowledge and appreciate the fact that many people actually enjoy what the AAs bring to the game, they know that some people like how bloom helps confine weapons to their roles in the sandbox.

They showed a lot of respect for the game they were changing, and seem to realize that the changes they're making can't be across-the-board out of the gates without first seeing how the existing Reach community (ALL of it, not just the vocal part that bothers to post on message boards) reacts.

I like bloom because I feel Reach is the first game in the Halo series where EVERY weapon is useable at worst, and ideal at best. Nothing I wouldn't pick up under any circumstances, and no fire-fight is decided ahead of time by what weapon you're using, only the skill and awareness of the participants in the battle.

That said, I think bloom could be tweaked to nerf DMR spammers. I like that the pistol is being upgraded a bit to make it a heftier starting weapon and more effective counter-point to the AR. All these changes sound good. I probably won't spend as much time in the Anniversary or Zero Bloom playlists as the Reach playlists, but the fact that everybody gets something they want is always a good conclusion.

MrBig

KageMaru said:
Sorry to bump this for thread for probably nothing, but I was wondering if we ever figured out what was described in this post:

??
I believe that was in response to kinect integration.

MrBig said:
I thought that poster said it wasn't about Kinect?

I figure he was talking about the 3D support (which was shown at PAX and was amazing).

I'm not going to run out and buy a 3DTV for Halo: CEA, but the next time I'm in the market for a TV Halo's support will probably push me towards the 3D option.

Tadale

I'm sure this has been brought up, but I haven't found a good place that lists everything from Halo Fest. Did they ever say anything about kinect integration?

KageMaru

MrBig said:

Correct, Vinterbird was responding to someone talking about Kinect, but as you can see in the post I quoted, he said what was demoed was not the Kinect integration.

ncsuDuncan said:
I thought that poster said it wasn't about Kinect?

I figure he was talking about the 3D support (which was shown at PAX and was amazing).

I'm not going to run out and buy a 3DTV for Halo: CEA, but the next time I'm in the market for a TV Halo's support will probably push me towards the 3D option.

Oh yeah, that could be it. For some reason I thought it was announced prior to Halo fest, but that might be Gears 3 I'm thinking about.

I have no interest in 3D, but was it really that good in Halo? How did it compare to 3D in other shooters like KZ3? One of the reasons I've never been a fan of 3D was due to the amount of cut backs necessary to make it work on today's consoles.

Tadale said:
I'm sure this has been brought up, but I haven't found a good place that lists everything from Halo Fest. Did they ever say anything about kinect integration?

http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/halofest-summary-hub/

Zeal

Banned
Even though the Halo 4 conference was good overall, it pretty much consisted of "We can't talk about that yet" responses and idiot 'fans' asking such questions as "SO WHAT'S HALO 4'S STORY ABOUT?????????????" and "HOW COME WE CAN'T MOD MORE IN HALO???"

Jesus Christ.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
wwm0nkey said:
A guilty Spark themed drink? Someone post how to make it now!
Seriouslky guys. Maybe it was something the bartender just came up with on the spot, but I want to try that mix over the weekend.

Top Bottom