• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

Ken said:
If you have Reach installed on your 360, you get access to all the shipped Reach maps, CE:A maps, and any DLC maps you have downloaded on that hard drive, by just having the CE:A disc in the disc tray.

No idea if it's on-disc or downloadable.

343 guys, i'd LOVE a confirmation of this - it would be a pretty neat technical trick, and one that i don't think i've seen on the platform yet.

also, this is a ridiculously nitpicky detail question, but i'd assume that as far as xbox live is concerned, the multiplayer is a different "executable" and your online status will show Online in Halo Reach if you're in the MP executable? And the same would go for achievements?

My guess is that all 1k points of Halo Anniversary achievements will be single-player, and the map pack MP achievements will be separate (so, possibly 1200 out of the box?)

wwm0nkey said:
I thought that was already confirmed and that it came with a code to get double XP

Wait...so I get a delicious cherry-citrus beverage AND double XP?

YqJiV.jpg

Persona7

Banned
-Yeti said:
I think they just need to make it permanent. I <3 Game Fuel so much.
Yeah, it is the only mountain dew I could drink. It goes down smooth and tastes delicious.

Code red is alright but it leaves a weird after taste.

Just read the Mountain Dew press release for Call of Duty, Fuck yeah!

Persona7 said:
Yeah, it is the only mountain dew I could drink. It goes down smooth and tastes delicious.

Code red is alright but it leaves a weird after taste.

Just red the Mountain Dew press release for Call of Duty, Fuck yeah!
Yeah same. Most Mtn Dew drinks make me feel like my teeth are gonna rot away, but for some reason Game Fuel isn't that way.

Tunavi

Banned
Friday was awesome. Saturday and Sunday were not.

I'm surprised Headlong got leaked on Friday and then wasn't even revealed on Sunday at the multiplayer panel. I'm very very glad that we know though, the anticipation of guessing would have KILLED me

feel

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks to everyone for posting in the OT and allowing me to make it! Good weekend.
Thank YOU for your work.

halofest was a lot fun, but a bit disappointing in some aspects, like for example not many details revealed on Halo Anniversary's multiplayer other than what will be shared by post-TU Reach, me not being able to watch most of the panels live because of ign's crappy stream (I know this wasn't a problem for everyone else, specially those on good north american conections who didn't allow for any problems to be noticed) and the majority of the Halogaffers at the event not bothering to post pics and stories during the event to make the rest of us feel a bit like we were there.

DJ88

McNei1y said:
I've been a player for the 10 years of Halo and I haven't really been this interested in the story since the first game. The first game was so mysterious that I would think so much about it (this isn't a natural cave formation). The landing on a random space object, the mystery of it being there, why its completely empty, etc etc. After playing Halo 2, I lost interest until Halo 3's terminals and the visit on the Ark. After re-exploring my interests, I think I will give Cryptum a read. I've only read the first three books (and read summaries of the ones after) so its been awhile since I've explored a Halo novel but the whole Forerunner story catches my eye.

Is Cryptum worth the read or should I just look into a skimmed down plot line somewhere?
I agree with everything in this post. I'll never forget the first time I saw Halo on a friends xbox. I would stare in awe at the Halo ring rising from the horizon and over my head. I would wonder about the Forerunner structures that shot beams of light into the air. I always felt this great curiosity about the mysterious alien world I was on. It's very difficult for me to describe, all I know is that the following Halo's struggled to make me feel like that again save for the Ark in Halo 3.

The Forerunner worlds and structures have always been my favorite thing from the Halo games and novels, so a game set in a living breathing Forerunner world is like a dream come true in a Halo game for me. I'm positive it will bring back all the emotions of mystery and awe that I felt from the first game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Anniversary Team Slayer - Halo: CE MP in Reach
Zero Bloom Slayer - Halo 2 MP in Reach

I cannot wait for this TU to come out so I can go back to playing correct Reach again.

wwm0nkey

Domino Theory said:

I cannot wait for this TU to come out so I can go back to playing correct Reach again.
All I will be playing :D

Vire

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks to everyone for posting in the OT and allowing me to make it! Good weekend.
Yeah, it was plenty fun. I think the Halo 4 concept art trailer and Prisoner/Headlong were definitely the highlights. Overall, I'm pleased with the direction 343 is taking the series aside from a few qualms. I just wish a bit more was revealed, but hey that's the inner Halo fan in me talking.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa SHIT, thats a lot of information to go through in the OP. Thanks 343!

Homeboyd

Letters said:
Thank YOU for your work.
Yes thanks to DC and Dani for keeping us updated throughout the weekend. I missed a lot being away from computers all weekend but felt like I didn't actually miss a thing because of you two. Props to you both.

fin

Yeah I was disappointed in Halofest. The VIP party was kinda lame, what kind of party ends at 11?

Lack of playable campaign from Halo Anniversary was a let down. I'd also like them to stop with Producers, Executives and Managers brag about how awesome their game is. They all say the same thing. For every game they make. It just all seems really contrived and scripted.

The Halo 4 panel was the highlight for me. Got to hear from the audio, art and design directors. Really liked the video of them capturing some audio samples! Talk about safety hazards. But they had lots of cool swag, pretty pricey though. All the spartan statues and the warthog. Lots of memorabilia such as prototype Xbox controllers.

Domino Theory said:

HOSHIT.

HYPE HYPE HYPE. I want this TU NAO! I believe you Domino Theory!

I've been out enjoying the sun all day, so I'm just now getting caught up on the changes the Reach TU is bringing

So the removal of bloom is optional, but everything else is across the board in this TU? Is that right? Still not sure how Reach is going to work without bloom, so it would be good to keep it in there for some playlists as a fall-back.

Also, did they give any details about what we can expect as far as playlists or match types in existing playlists using no-bloom?

Pistol is being upgraded? Cool. Power, range, reload, ammo cap? Details pwease.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
-Yeti said:
I think that will be my main home as well. I really cannot wait to play some 1-Bomb on Headlong!
Oh damn, the gravity and awesomeness of that just hit me.

Headlong + Assault. It's been way too long.

Watching the panel now, and I like what they said about the bloom configuration being like a slider. Makes me think:

a) they are going to try and keep bloom in the game to some degree for the sake of balance

b) they can really fine tune this sucker to make all the weapons play nice together

Can't wait!

Probably going to end up spending most of my time in the standard Reach modes (with bloom, and all the weapons, etc), but the other modes should provide a fun alternative every so often.

EDIT: But fuck yes, we better be able to play all the remakes in all the different game modes, not just 'anniversary mode' for CE maps and 'Zero Bloom' for Halo 2. I want to play all of them with all sorts of playlist options.

wwm0nkey

omg.kittens said:
Oh damn, the gravity and awesomeness of that just hit me.

Headlong + Assault. It's been way too long.
I dont think I will ever vote for non objective on Headlong.

Flag and Assault only! lol

wwm0nkey said:
I dont think I will ever vote for non objective on Headlong.

Flag and Assault only! lol

Unfortunately, you are a smart person, and as such are vastly outnumbered by masses of idiots who only want to shoot people in the face without things like 'teamwork' and 'objectives' getting in the way.

wwm0nkey

The Antitype said:
Unfortunately, you are a smart person, and as such are vastly outnumbered by masses of idiots who only want to shoot people in the face without things like 'teamwork' and 'objectives' getting in the way.
Hopefully people just remember to epic struggle matches on that map and go for objectives.

Loved how 1 sided objective matches could become a huge tug of war match that could go on forever lol

aasoncott

fin said:
Really liked the video of them capturing some audio samples! Talk about safety hazards.

Yeah, I thought the video was hilarious.

I had a really, really great time -- it was my first PAX, and it's very likely I'll be attending again.

I took a huge panorama of the VIP party at HaloFest if anyone's interested (the JPEG linked is 1mb).

I wonder if the current level of bloom on weapons will be the default highest-setting for bloom, or perhaps it'll be the mid-point. It'll be hilarious to make bloom even more prominent on weapons like the DMR and Needle Rifle.

Summary Man said:
I wonder if the current level of bloom on weapons will be the default highest-setting for bloom, or perhaps it'll be the mid-point. It'll be hilarious to make bloom even more prominent on weapons like the DMR and Needle Rifle.

Personally I think the precision weapons should bloom out farther but retract much faster. Should make it more consistent.

Summary Man said:

I'm interested to know if their bloom configuration allows them to adjust the amount of bloom AND the timing, or just the amount.

The problem I have with bloom isn't just the amount, it's how its doled out. If the DMR bloom actually went much WIDER after each shot, but shrank back to normal much more quickly, they it would force players to time their shots and spammers would have no chance.

Simply shrinking the amount of bloom, but keeping the rate of shrink the same as it is won't help as much, because spammers have an even better chance of nailing you without aiming.

Edit: Beaten.

The Antitype said:
The problem I have with bloom isn't just the amount, it's how its doled out. If the DMR bloom actually went much WIDER after each shot, but shrank back to normal much more quickly, they it would force players to time their shots and spammers would have no chance.

lem7o.jpg

Mass Effect? I think you meant Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime: Super Armor hero with amazing skills, a in helmet HUD, alone on ancient alien planets, with ancient mystery and secrets to discover.

I swear 343 hired someone from Retro studios as well.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
All I will be playing :D
"Zero Bloom Slayer - Halo 2 MP in Reach"
with people walking as if underwater, jetpacking easily into everywhere, sprinting away from danger and surviving direct rockets (unless he played something that was truly classic unlike the vids we saw with bloomless dmr)

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
with people walking as if underwater, jetpacking easily into everywhere, sprinting away from danger and surviving direct rockets
Well with Headlong I am sure we will see a Halo 2 type of play style too without the AA's

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
with people walking as if underwater, jetpacking easily into everywhere, sprinting away from danger and surviving direct rockets (unless he played something that was truly classic unlike the vids we saw with bloomless dmr)

"Sprinting away from danger" - Right now you can. ;)

As for the other comments, considering the melee change we all discovered by playing and not reading, I"m sure there's more to the TU than what we know whether they've been implemened yet or are still being worked on.

It wouldn't be classic without a fast default walk speed and high jump height.

Gui_PT

Someone in one of the Halo CEA panel talked about uploading that minute and a half audio clip with some remastered music from the game on the interwebs.

Does anyone know if they actually uploaded it?

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
Someone in one of the Halo CEA panel talked about uploading that minute and a half audio clip with some remastered music from the game on the interwebs.

They haven't yet. I figure we'll get that within a week or two. They have a lot of things to upload.

DeMeester

Blueblur1 said:
They haven't uploaded the multiplayer panel yet, huh? :/

I was wondering the same thing. I tried to watch it live yesterday, but I couldn't get the video to start. Did something go wrong with the live videofeed?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Gui_PT said:

I'm looking into it. There are some issues we have to cross before we post something like that, but we'll do our best to make sure you get a taste of the soundtrack before launch.

Karl2177

The Antitype said:
That's the thing though. I don't trust my random teammates, so I just want to slay. Everyone should know how to slay. Not everyone knows the best route for a flag given certain situations. So unless I'm going in as a party, I don't want to worry about losing, because my teammate took the flag into their respawn area.

Tawpgun

Router said:
So what's the significance of the next trilogy being called "The Reclaimer Trilogy"?
I'm guessing one of the Main plot themes will be Humanities place in the Galaxy. We're the inheritors of forerunner technology. Will we take up their mantle? How will we use this technology? What new dangers do we have to defend ourselves from.

Also, to anyone interested, the best place for this sort of discussion is the Halo Reach thread on the Community side. Don't think about it as the Reach thread. Think about it as HaloGAF general.

Striker

Letters said:
Anything with equipment or AA's aren't Halo 2, or Halo CE, mutliplayer. Eliminate that junk and it's a decent start.

Love seeing Max Hoberman in the video. I hope he gets a lot of action for Halo 4's MP.

Wait, Max wanted Terminal. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Striker said:
Anything with equipment or AA's aren't Halo 2, or Halo CE, mutliplayer. Eliminate that junk and it's a decent start.

Love seeing Max Hoberman in the video. I hope he gets a lot of action for Halo 4's MP.

Wait, Max wanted Terminal. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And Shishka was pushing for Turf. (new map pack post CEA with Turf and Terminal please)

Based on what we have seen, what would be my dream MM set up would be that the "no bloom" gametypes (no bloom on DMR, Pistol, NR and nerfed AA's) would become the default Reach and then the "Anniversary" gametypes (3sk pistol, no AA's, 120 movement) would become a set of classic hoppers.

Of course it is very unlikely that they would actually replace the default Reach hoppers sadly.

cory021

Neo Member
Steelyuhas said:
Of course it is very unlikely that they would actually replace the default Reach hoppers sadly.
Because apparently there are people who would enjoy those playlists over the updated playlists :/

There was a question for the Multiplayer panel about further Elite customization, and the response was along the lines of "there will be no further armory customization". Makes me wonder if this was just in reference to Elites, or if it also means that the new Spartan helmet that was floating around a while back is part of that answer in terms of what to expect in the TU.

Anyone in the know care to shed some extra light on that?

Anyone?

Top Bottom