• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

Arnie

wwm0nkey said:
We will find out about the armor in due time.

Whats more important now is grenade nerfs and movement speed, would like to hear if thats effected in the TU.
I approve of this post.

Want to know about 1-50 levels too.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. The VGAs are just awful awful awful to watch. I usually just DVR and fast forward till something good pops up. So usually just 5 minutes and done. lol
Thats pretty much what I do. Last year really pissed me off, Nick Swardson was a fucking ass. "Oh yeah all gamers smoke weed and tell kids we will cut their moms heads off". Really wish I could have told him to fuck off after he said that.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Thats pretty much what I do. Last year really pissed me off, Nick Swardson was a fucking ass. "Oh yeah all gamers smoke weed and tell kids we will cut their moms heads off". Really wish I could have told him to fuck off after he said that.

I would have helped you. It's like they try for the most offensive stereotype they can every year and make it just worse while throwing in more references to Mountain Dew and Pepsi.

What are the odds microsoft will use the halo 4 beta to jump start a new ip like they did for crackdown. I think the crytek game would be a good choice if you can play it with a controller.

wwm0nkey

dragonelite said:
What are the odds microsoft will use the halo 4 beta to jump start a new ip like they did for crackdown. I think the crytek game would be a good choice if you can play it with a controller.
I doubt the beta will be in a game like Halo 3 or Reach.

343i needs to prove themselves and the best way for that would be an open beta that you can just download off of Xbox Live.

Also it would be pretty sweet if we saw another Halo commercial at the Super Bowl like we did with Halo 3, I know that gained a lot of hype (and was super ungodly expensive)

wwm0nkey said:
Also it would be pretty sweet if we saw another Halo commercial at the Super Bowl like we did with Halo 3, I know that gained a lot of hype (and was super ungodly expensive)

Halo 4 will most likely have the largest marketing budget for an MS game yet.

And that's a good thing because the Halo 3 Believe campaign was flawless.

wwm0nkey

Phonomezer said:

Halo 4 Super Bowl ad and Game Fuel here we come :lol

Homeboyd

So, I know we've heard quite a bit over the past few days at Halo Fest but it seemed like a lot of potentially good questions were wasted on information that's been known for quite some time. And even still, there is some confusion about some of the news revealed as well as some questions we still have on our own. I certainly do not expect anyone from 343 to drop in and answer all of these questions, but maybe there's something they wanted to talk about but was never brought up in any of the Q&A's (or perhaps they weren't ready to reveal anything else at the time).

Anyways, I figured we could get a list going of our own questions and you guys can build on it as you see fit. Would help a bit rather than having to go through 50 pages of questions. (Also, I haven't had a chance to watch any of the panels today so I could've missed answers to some of these).

Halo CEA and Reach MP

- How will playlist management be handled? One individual working behind the scenes that takes feedback from forum threads? Open relationship with the community? Team?

- TU options are not configurable, so does that mean you guys will be releasing a lot of varieties of game types that we will just have to save on our HD's? (i.e. Bloom 0%, 10%, 50%, 80%) etc..?

- Have all (major) TU features been revealed? Any discussion on other bugs/exploits in the game that are being looked at? (i.e. banshee nerf)

- Any new game "modes" being looked at with TU or can we just expect more variations like we've seen in Action Sack as they are pulled from the community?

- Any chance on seeing some medals in CEA campaign while in updated mode?

- What's the deal with the new helmet spotted on Battle Canyon? Looks like a mini-spartan and definitely shows the new helmet. Possibility of new armor variants available in the TU? Unlockable via credits, challenges, achievements, etc..?

- Ellis mentioned Forge discussion might be something mentioned in the MP panel on Sunday when asked about it in regards to the CEA maps on Saturday. Anything new you can tell us regarding Forge on CEA maps (besides what we saw in the bulletin a couple weeks back?)

- Good timeline to expect more discussion of Hang em High and the 'other' map none of us know about yet?

- How will community content be handled in terms of getting maps into Matchmaking? Will Community Cartographers continue? Where would we operate? Seems most would be in favor of "Community-Only playlists" that feature community maps instead of taking over core playlists with tons of Forge maps. Thoughts?

- Will the BPR rating from Waypoint be shown in any way in an in-game stat sheet? (i.e. a new 'rank'?)

- Any thoughts on current Arena and how its performing versus previous ranked-style playlists?

Waypoint

- Custom Challenges: Will these be available as soon as the Waypoint site is updated? Will they be viewable in-game? Any further discussion on the 'types of rewards' for completing these?

- Private groups possible?

- Will the "Gamma" forums begin as soon as the site is updated (within the next week or so?) Are those who are invited considered to be the new 'moderators' of the site or will it expand beyond those people? How long will this phase last?

Halo 4

- VGA's? :)

- Can we expect a departure from things we've grown accustomed to in the first trilogy? (in terms of music, gameplay mechanics, 'feel' of the game, features.. etc..) or should we expect something similar, just improved?

- I know Frankie mentioned there was no beta being discussed as of yet for Halo 4 via CEA, but when the game reaches that stage, will it be internal since MS has the resources or available to the public. (I know, this is a stretch. A big one)

- Forge was mentioned to be included but 'improved'.. (Didn't see the panel, just read someone's notes). Looking for inspiration on how it could be improved? Forge in and of itself is just an editor... are more 'substantial' editing tools being looked at?

That's all I have for now since I'm running out the door. Feel free to copy/add questions as you see fit. Or answer ones that have already been answered.

jackdoe

Phonomezer said:

If anything, the Halo 3 Believe campaign was so good that it made the actual product a bit of a disappointment (campaign wise).

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 4 Super Bowl ad and Game Fuel here we come :lol
28cfypl.jpg

Farooq

Banned
Kinda disappointed that the clip size for the magnum could not be increased.

I mean if you look at the utility weapons that were included in every iteration of Halo mp.

Halo 1: 3 shot kill, 12 rounds. Potentially 4 kills per clip.

Halo 2: 4 shot kill, at 36 rounds (12 shots with 3 round bursts). Potentially 4 kills per magazine.

Halo 3: Same as Halo 2. 4 shot's to kill, 12 shots. Potentially 4 kills per magazine.

Halo Reach: New Pistol at 8 rounds, even at 3 shots to kill, you are only getting 2 kills with two bullets remaining.

Even with the DMR, they mentioned it was still 5 shots to kill. At a 15 round capacity for the magazine, that is 3 kills per magazine.

On the surface it may not seem like a big thing, and it probably isn't that big of a deal. But the small things matter. Having a small magazine size affects how many opponents you can target, how long you can sustain fire, and if you are able to finish off an opponent over a long distance. The magazine size influences a lot of how the game plays.

Having the pistol with 8 rounds is kind of akin to having a sniper with 3 bullets. Yea you can be effective with 3 bullets, but how many times has that last bullet come in handy?

Edit: Just to correct my silly (and embarrassing) mistake that was politely pointed out by Recarpo.

The potential kills you could get with the Halo 2 and Halo 3 BR is 3. Which in hindsight, makes the the pistol clip size much less of an issue. But I still hold on to the fact that it may still create situations that could lead to frustration.

Farooq said:

I mean if you look at the utility weapons that were included in every iteration of Halo mp.

Halo 2: 4 shot kill, at 36 rounds (12 shots with 3 round bursts). Potentially 4 kills per magazine.

Halo 3: Same as Halo 2. 4 shot's to kill, 12 shots. Potentially 4 kills per magazine.

Halo Reach: New Pistol at 8 rounds, even at 3 shots to kill, you are only getting 2 kills with two bullets remaining.

Even with the DMR, they mentioned it was still 5 shots to kill. At a 15 round capacity for the magazine, that is 3 kills per magazine.

On the surface it may not seem like a big thing, and it probably isn't that big of a deal. But the small things matter. Having a small magazine size affects how many opponents you can target, how long you can sustain fire, and if you are able to finish off an opponent over a long distance. The magazine size influences a lot of how the game plays.

Having the pistol with 8 rounds is kind of akin to having a sniper with 3 bullets. Yea you can be effective with 3 bullets, but how many times has that last bullet come in handy?

And all of that is assuming you don't miss or they don't eat a bullet/run away.

Farooq said:

2 kills per clip is fine, anything else and no other weapon would be used, your not making it a formidable sidearm your making it the go to gun for almost any situation.

Devolution said:
And all of that is assuming you don't miss or they don't eat a bullet/run away.

Yeah it's definitely not perfect, but the way I'm looking at it, that gun is going to be incredible compared to what we have in Reach now.

Farooq

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
2 kills per clip is fine, anything else and no other weapon would be used, your not making it a formidable sidearm your making it the go to gun for almost any situation.

Well, they did allude to the fact that if you are playing the classic playlist you probably are not going to be picking up weapons like the AR, which I believe to be true.

A small clip size may add to the frustration in gameplay. Running out of bullets, while facing multiple opponents can be frustrating. Running out of bullets and letting someone weak get away can be frustrating.

I mean, like I said in the grand scheme it is not a big deal. But it would be naive to think it will not influence how the game plays.

Tunavi

Banned
So if the Reach magnum will become a 3 headshot kill weapon, then how many body shots to take down shields? It wouldn't be 2, would it?

halo4finalgif.gif

Apologies for the subpar quality but I was kind of pressed for time and I was also not too pleased with the results of the resizing process. Looks like we get a brief glimpse of MC's leg/armor in the beginning and either a monitor or a forerunner creature/enemy inhabitant that hasn't been revealed yet.

359pxihprometheanbullet.jpg

or has it?

I'm also getting that Mass Effect vibe which is not necessarily a bad thing. Going to wait for some additional information before jumping to any conclusions.

Vire

I'm curious if Halo 4 will be run on Reach's engine or 343's own proprietary engine.

I really want to see the graphics this studio is capable of. Maybe handing it off to a fresh face can finally realize some visual differences.

I'm satisfied with Reach's look, but I know it could be pushed a bit further. If the game captures the scope and beauty of the concept art, it would certainly be a sight to be seen...

feel

Vire said:
I'm curious if Halo 4 will be run on Reach's engine or 343's own proprietary engine.
As far as I know, there's only one Halo engine and it has powered all the Halo shooters so far and will continue doing so in the future. Doesn't mean Halo 4 will look anything like the previous games, the engine keeps improving and so does the skill of the engineers, designers and artists.

Vire

I gotta say, after watching the concept art trailer a few times now, I've become more and more impressed.

My hopes for this series future has certainly be raised in the past few days. Hopefully they can deliver...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Farooq said:

only? really? the game has a reload button

clashfan

wwm0nkey said:

They better not use the VGA as the next big announcement. Halo 4 is too big for the crappy VGA. Halo 4 in the same show as the next Driver or Ridge Racer just brings it down.

wwm0nkey

clashfan said:
They better not use the VGA as the next big announcement. Halo 4 is too big for the crappy VGA. Halo 4 in the same show as the next Driver or Ridge Racer just brings it down.
What do you want them to do a super bowl trailer?

Recarpo

Farooq said:

Am I missing something or wasn't halo 2 and halo 3 potential 3 kills per magazine with the br? 4 shot kill = 12 bullets, 36/12 = 3 potential kills?

Farooq

Banned
op_ivy said:
only? really? the game has a reload button

Well in the context of my entire post, you would see that in comparison to the rest of the games in the series, the clip to kill ratio is smaller.

Not to mention for you to hit those two kills, that means at least 75% accuracy. If you have ever played a game on a console that recorded your accuracy (Shadowrun, Halo 2, Cod 4 etc..).

You would see that to maintain even a 50% accuracy means you are quite, quite good. Maintaining a 75% accuracy is just not feasible. That is just the reality of using a controller on a console fps.

A 50% accuracy with the clip size afforded in Reach would mean essentially one kill per clip. Which in the context of my post, may allow certain situations to arise that are extremely frustrating.

Recarpo said:
Am I missing something or wasn't halo 2 and halo 3 potential 3 kills per magazine with the br? 4 shot kill = 12 bullets, 36/12 = 3 potential kills?

Yea you are right. How embarrassing...

JMizzlin

Do we have any confirmation on how the map thing is going to work with CE:A?
Do we get Reach MP with CE:A, like ODST, or will the maps be on-disc/downloadable?

Toddler

I'm guessing there won't be any special editions since they're pimpin' that $40 price tag kinda hard.

I was hoping for some Anniversary swag :(

Ken

Toddler said:
I'm guessing there won't be any special editions since they're pimpin' that $40 price tag kinda hard.

I was hoping for some Anniversary swag :(

Let's you start saving money for the Halo 4 Mythic Edition.

Eye Drop said:
Do we have any confirmation on how the map thing is going to work with CE:A?
Do we get Reach MP with CE:A, like ODST, or will the maps be on-disc/downloadable?

IIRC you'll be able to play Reach MP off the CE:A disc, but only on the Anniversary maps.

If you have Reach installed on your 360, you get access to all the shipped Reach maps, CE:A maps, and any DLC maps you have downloaded on that hard drive, by just having the CE:A disc in the disc tray.

No idea if it's on-disc or downloadable.

Striker

Recarpo said:
That's assuming you had a good connection using the Halo 3 BR.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Farooq said:
Well in the context of my entire post, you would see that in comparison to the rest of the games in the series, the clip to kill ratio is smaller.

Not to mention for you to hit those two kills, that means at least 75% accuracy. If you have ever played a game on a console that recorded your accuracy (Shadowrun, Halo 2, Cod 4 etc..).

You would see that to maintain even a 50% accuracy means you are quite, quite good. Maintaining a 75% accuracy is just not feasible. That is just the reality of using a controller on a console fps.

A 50% accuracy with the clip size afforded in Reach would mean essentially one kill per clip. Which in the context of my post, may allow certain situations to arise that are extremely frustrating.

i appreciate the thought that went into your post, but my line of thinking was much simpler...

the pistol has a three shot kill. 3 fucking shots. an 8 shot clip is plenty. it will beast over a dmr with 15 shots, so why complain about 8 shots?

Top Bottom