• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

RoKKeR

I just need to know whether or not Blur is doing the Halo 5 cutscenes, because that shit needs to happen.

As far as the water hype... What if parts or Lockout were flooded or submerged in a bit of water? That's my dumb guess for a map I wouldn't normally associate with water.

They're Anniversarizing, like, every one of my least favorite maps. Don't get me wrong, I liked Coag, but it's so overdone at this point.

At least Halo 5 should have a new "two bases in a box canyon" map to appease us.

Combat Evolved: Blood Gulch
2: Blood Gulch 2: Banshee Boogaloo
3: Valhalla
4: Valhalla 2: Mantises and DMRs Pooping on Arizona Prairies: The Litetary Adaptation of the Most-Anticipated Game of 2012 According to Vgcchartz

Woorloog

Banned
I for one never liked Blood Gulch/Coag. Too open.
Ironically i played it the most in Reach, it was the only decent BTB map there (DLC maps? I don't recall playing them enough to form an opinion really).

EDIT Valhalla on the other hand is good... without 3x scopes.

JonCha

Forerunner tech puts a lot of emphasis on compartmentalization. For example, 343 Guilty Spark's knowledge of Forerunner information was heavily limited to only his Halo, so that if he were captured by the Flood, they couldn't find out how to get to the Ark and destroy it, otherwise reverse-engineer Promethean tech, etc.

Halo rings operate on a similar principle: it's divided into pizza-cutter sectors or "slices" every so often so that if a part of the ring got heavily damaged or overrun with Flood, for example, it could separate from the larger portion of the ring and the remaining uncontaminated portion could reassemble. To a degree, anyway.

However, the destruction of the Pillar of Autumn was a more anomalous case, given it critically damaged the entire ring. With Guilty Spark fleeing Alpha Halo, there wasn't a proper caretaker to oversee the systemic recovery of the salvageable parts of the ring, if any. Given the sheer size of the Halo Array, the rings can also enter Slipspace on their own accord, though the degree of which they can compared to, say, the Ark Portal or Forerunner Keyships is unknown. Presumably, what happened was that the portions of Alpha Halo that were still Slipspace-functional tried retreating to the Ark for repair, with varying degrees of success - one of those fragments either failed to fully reach the Ark or didn't make a jump at all, eventually crash-landing on an unspecified human world.

This unknown world that was just bombarded with pieces of Alpha Halo is where Halo: Nightfall takes place, and presumably this human world is big enough that its own gravity is keeping the Halo grounded, rather than search teams staying gravitationally aligned with the remaining ring portion of the Halo.

As far as I know, we have yet to learn that even a chunk of a ring has slipspace capabilities. A complete ring can use slipspace, that we know from Origins, but this bit is new. The oxygen and gravity is probably a result of being so close to this new planet.

I'm not that great at the lore however IIRC each segment of the ring has its own life support systems so each segment could potentially have its own slip space drives. Maybe the ring attempted to jump but only some of the segments managed to?

This could be completely false btw. I'm guessing it'll be explained to us in Nightfall anyway.

This is really cool, and all explanations were helpful - especially Starbucks'. So basically it sounds like they jumped onto the ring from their own world?

I wonder if there is any remaining life? Did the explosion destroy everything? I remember reading/hearing somewhere recently that some of the areas of Halo rings have been unexplored, so even though all life forms on one area were wiped other areas remained? Or did the activation of the Ark destroy all life on that ring (because we revisited the first ring in Halo, right?). I wonder if those parasites that were referenced in the trailer reference the Flood.

RoKKeR

They're Anniversarizing, like, every one of my least favorite maps. Don't get me wrong, I liked Coag, but it's so overdone at this point.

I agree with this. I know Coag is a legendary map but I've never really been able to get into it.

I personally want Midship in, if not only for how sweet all of the Covenant architecture is going to look in the H2A engine.

I agree with this. I know Coag is a legendary map but I've never really been able to get into it.

I personally want Midship in, if not only for how sweet all of the Covenant architecture is going to look in the H2A engine.

I have a strong feeling Midship's not making it in because of how averse 343 was to doing any Covenant interiors, Lich notwithstanding.

Unannounced map. Both Lockout and Coag are confirmed, are they not?

Oops, my brain didn't register the unannounced bit.

I know a lot of people want Terminal, so perhaps that map? I dunno. Obviously one of the maps will be Midship, and I don't see that having wet rocks. Another option is maybe Waterworks, but that seems like a map people would expect water on, haha.

Woorloog

Banned
I suspect one big map and one smaller. We have two of each currently. And the last two could easily be DLC maps.
And one map will have water even though we haven't associated the map with water before, apparently.

Nirvana

I really hope it's not Sanctuary. Every single map in H2AMP has already been remade in some fashion! At this rate we're going to get a lineup of:

Ascension
Lockout
Zanzibar
Coagulation
Midship
Sanctuary

When it'd really make more sense to focus on the maps that haven't been touched since 2, so something like:

Terminal
Waterworks
Containment / Relic
Foundation
Colossus / Burial Mounds
Turf

Completely agree. As much as I love a lot of the classic maps they have chosen, I feel like they have mostly been done to death. Lockout hasn't been done correctly at any point I don't feel, so I think despite Blackout and the Halo 4orge remake, I would be happy to see it return. Sanctuary, although it didn't look anything like it, still felt basically the same in the Reach remake, so I don't need to see it again.

Coag is the deadest, most beaten horse in Halo history, Ascension got a forge remake and apart from Tower of Power I never really like it as a slayer map anyway.

Last Resort was such an exact remake of Zanzibar (apart from a few minor differences, like ruining the main base) that I feel it almost isn't worth it - although it is one I'm looking forward to more than the others - and finally Midship was done as a pixel to pixel remake as Heretic, so why bother?

My list would likely be fairly similar to yours, with a few changes:

Lockout
Turf
Terminal
Waterworks/Warlock
Elongation/Relic
Desolation/Containment

Since Warlock, Elongation and Desolation are all Halo: CE remakes the other 3 maps would likely make the most sense. I feel like Lockout, Turf, Terminal and Waterworks were Halo 2 for me. Even Coag, as much as I loved it, just wasn't as much a part of my Halo 2 experience as those other maps were.

Midship was a fantastic map, and Heretic, with the Halo 3 sword being as crappy as it was never really felt the same, so I guess I'd be ok with it being in as well. In fact, the sword hasn't felt like a good weapon since Halo 2 to be honest...at least it's better than the Gravity Lagger.

Just looking through the Halo 2 maps makes me anxious to play it again. Tombstone was a great remake, and despite the Reach remake of Headlong I adored that map for Zombie Survival and Assault, so I would love to see that again. It's going to be amazing playing all of those maps again - and the PC ones I never got the chance to play!

This is really cool, and all explanations were helpful - especially Starbucks'. So basically it sounds like they jumped onto the ring from their own world?

I wonder if there is any remaining life? Did the explosion destroy everything? I remember reading/hearing somewhere recently that some of the areas of Halo rings have been unexplored, so even though all life forms on one area were wiped other areas remained? Or did the activation of the Ark destroy all life on that ring (because we revisited the first ring in Halo, right?). I wonder if those parasites that were referenced in the trailer reference the Flood.

From what I gathered from the trailer, if they want to get on the ring they'll have to "scale" it eather than just walking around the circumference. I think the farthest they got in the trailer were the ruins immediately surrounding the crash site of the ring fragment.

And yeah, given the compartmental nature of the Halo Array, it's entirely possible Flood research facilities remained intact - at least, they could have been before Chief blew if up.

You're getting your rings mixed up - there's two Installation 04s, or Alpha Halos: Installation 04A was the original that CE was set on and that got blown up. Installation 04B was nearing completion housed on the Ark during the endgame events of Halo 3. Back when the Forerunners were still in power, the Ark doubled as a Halo production facility, and there were originally 12 rings - due to galactic conflict, in particular with the Flood, only seven survived, but still possess the necessary firepower to annihilate everything in the Milky Way. It's possible that the full twelve-ring Array was designed to extend beyond the Milky Way and take out the extragalactic point of origin the Flood were still residing at near the end of the original war. Anyways, went off on a tangent there, Installation 04B and the Ark are in an unknown state of disrepair after Installation 04B fired prematurely.

Most speculation is definitely linking the "homicidium" in the Nightfall trailer to the Flood in some way, shape or form. Similar to Ridley Scott's Prometheus and the "Alienite" that they discovered on the derelict world that began Giegerfying the crew, there's a "Floodite" that dates back to Forerunner times with near-identical properties.

The Precursors, the forerunners to the Forerunners, also play a big part in Forerunner times and are to a degree the "original" Flood without the zombie properties. They were enigmatic, murky crudtacean monsters that looked like Flood Pure Forms on steroids mixed with the War of the Worlds Tripods. However, in an act of desperation-fueled ascendancy, they essentially vaporized themselves into a powder not unlike the "Floodite." It's worth noting that in all marked instances of the Halo Array firing, precautions made by the Forerunners (including dumping a solute into the atmospheres of all the planets that would be affected) caused the victims to be dissoluted into vapor.

Now, this is conjecture, but it's possible that the extreme conditions of heat and energy emitted by the Pillar of Autumn initiated an emergency reaction out of the Alpha Halo fragments and the ring got tricked into thinking an actual Halo firing was happening, causing it to emit said solute to avoid leaving bodies around for the Flood. As a result, the Flood running around on the ring during the Autumn's firing got reduced into powder once more, which manifests as a new "Floodite" and could result in even more bastardized Flood forms in the end.

Oops, my brain didn't register the unannounced bit.

I know a lot of people want Terminal, so perhaps that map? I dunno. Obviously one of the maps will be Midship, and I don't see that having wet rocks. Another option is maybe Waterworks, but that seems like a map people would expect water on, haha.

I think damp when I think Waterworks, but not necessarily water.

Miranda looks a bit too old for my liking, looks like a totally different person, and Johnson's eyes are a little too wide/big I think, he looks a bit like someone who suffers from down syndrome (no offense intended..). Hopefully they fix it up a bit.

This was a problem of mine in Halo 2 and 3. She originally looked like she was in her mid 20s, which to me is quite young to be at the rank and importance she is at through those games.

The new model looks a bit older and thus much more realistic for what she has accomplished. And she actually looks like somebody who has gone career Navy rather than a yuppie girl riding her father's accomplishments in the original Halo 2.

But then they made her father look way younger in Reach/CEA so who knows.

Mistel

Banned
Miranda looks a bit too old for my liking, looks like a totally different person. Hopefully they fix it up a bit.
She does look a lot older she was 27 in 3 so she can't be that much younger in 2 really. It might just be the whole work in progress thing. To me she looks like a slightly younger Halsey more than anything else.

willow ve

The start menu music for Destiny Beta is so good. I still cannot believe Marty was fired. Hopefully this will open his schedule up for cinematic work. Would be great to have his music backing a Sci Fi epic.

Rev3rb

Is the HaloGAF Destiny group jumping on for the special event thing around 2pm? I'd rather play with a group I know, than some randoms.

This was a problem of mine in Halo 2 and 3. She originally looked like she was in her mid 20s, which to me is quite young to be at the rank and importance she is at through those games.

The new model looks a bit older and thus much more realistic for what she has accomplished. And she actually looks like somebody who has gone career Navy rather than a yuppie girl riding her father's accomplishments in the original Halo 2.

But then they made her father look way younger in Reach/CEA so who knows.

I remember some of her lore refers her at the youngest of the military branch with high rank possibly by her father reputation.so whats why of her bold nature to prove she is worth it and not being in her father shadow.

CyReN

94b9a098156177f571191f42ed151651.png

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale

RoKKeR

Is that confirmed or just speculation?

From the Weekly Update:

Saturday, July 26th at 2:00 PM PDT.

You will need to be very brave (and perhaps a bit patient) to help us reach our goal. To help you stay focused on our objectives, we’ve given you one of your own. Everyone who makes an appearance will earn a nameplate to help you prove that you were there when the record for concurrent players was set before the launch of the game. It will help you to be a rare and unique snowflake when Destiny launches in September.

This is a flash mob. Set your destination. The Iron Banner will be live. The Director will still beckon with the lures we’ve littered all across Old Russia.

We’re even sending you on a new story mission. For this one, you’ll be glad you scrounged that jump drive from the wastes of the Cosmodrome. You don’t need us to tell you where you’re headed. We’ve marked it on the map since the moment when the Beta Build became a secret whispered about by only our friends and family. This new destination will be open to you for two hours.

Sounds like they want everybody on all at the same time, so Iron Banner and Moon will be open.

In hindsight, Bungie's hyping up of Forge World is pretty hilarious.

"See, originally we were planning on making sure Forge maps were visually distinct with a variety of canvases available at launch... but, thanks to Corinne Yu's secret sauce and specially-marked boxes of Arcane Energies(tm), we're cramming them all into an expansive clusterfuck with minimal readability and a vanilla-as-all-fuck of an aesthetic to make sure that the only real utility our map creator can provide is siphoning tears from Forgers of competitive maps and trickle the wealth down to that vocal minority of kids that just want to dick around playing Obstacle Course and Falcon Wars without even using the advanced Forge settings!"

As far as I know, we have yet to learn that even a chunk of a ring has slipspace capabilities. A complete ring can use slipspace, that we know from Origins, but this bit is new. The oxygen and gravity is probably a result of being so close to this new planet.
You didnt read the Forerunner trilogy did you?

Oh sweet :p
This'll be the 4th remake of it though right?
Blackout
(spiritual successor) Guardian
and two forge palette "remakes"...

I literally don't know what that is, but it isn't playable.
By that logic Frankles, it could be playable or a Gamestop exclusive something.

TheOddOne

In hindsight, Bungie's hyping up of Forge World is pretty hilarious.

"See, originally we were planning on making sure Forge maps were visually distinct with a variety of canvases available at launch... but, thanks to Corinne Yu's secret sauce and specially-marked boxes of Arcane Energies(tm), we're cramming them all into an expansive clusterfuck with minimal readability and a vanilla-as-all-fuck of an aesthetic to make sure that the only real utility our map creator can provide is siphoning tears from Forgers of competitive maps and trickle the wealth down to that vocal minority of kids that just want to dick around playing Obstacle Course and Falcon Wars without even using the advanced Forge settings!"
You dun goofed.

Top Bottom