• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Fotos

Anyone playing Halo? I'm getting pretty bored with the Destiny Beta.

My GT is NFotos

Also, during the Destiny beta I randomly got matched with both Suddoth 2 and SK separately. Odd because over the 8 years of online Halo I have never been matched with any pros.

Omni

Anyone playing Halo? I'm getting pretty bored with the Destiny Beta.

My GT is NFotos
Aren't they doing that thing in the Beta soon? I'm mostly done with the beta but I want the namrplate thingy they're giving out haha

I've been thinking about this and does anyone else find it strange how 343i try and make things as faithful as possible to the original games in both CEA and H2A, but when it comes to their own game they go ahead and drastically redesign well... everything? I mean it's obvious that they're aware of what they're doing. I guess CEA has a pass because it was released before H4, but from what we've seen it looks like H2A is kinda using a mashup of assets - not just the redesigned stuff like one might expect

Like Chief's armour. Or the Covenant. Or the UNSC aesthetic in general (THANK GOD they aren't using Halo 4 marines. I want to kiss whoever made that decision)

If they realise that people prefer designs that fit in with the original trilogy, why would they overhaul everything for no reason?

/ramblings

Aren't they doing that thing in the Beta soon? I'm mostly done with the beta but I want the namrplate thingy they're giving out haha

I've been thinking about this and does anyone else find it strange how 343i try and make things as faithful as possible to the original games in both CEA and H2A, but when it comes to their own game they go ahead and drastically redesign well... everything? I mean it's obvious that they're aware of what they're doing. I guess CEA has a pass because it was released before H4, but from what we've seen it looks like H2A is kinda using a mashup of assets - not just the redesigned stuff like one might expect

Like Chief's armour. Or the Covenant. Or the UNSC aesthetic in general (THANK GOD they aren't using Halo 4 marines. I want to kiss whoever made that decision)

If they realise that people prefer designs that fit in with the original trilogy, why would they overhaul everything for no reason?

/ramblings

Because making a remake is different than making a sequel? I mean, setting aside the generalizations (I quite like the Chief's armor in 4, ditto the Covenant), one of them is by definition trying to be as close to the original as possible, whereas the other is a more creative effort. Why shouldn't they be allowed to try new things?

Woorloog

Banned
Some redesigns in Halo 4 can be explained with the UNSC aesthetics having changed post-war. Also out of universe explanation, stuff looks more futuristic, more high-tech, ie, as is fitting for a post-war sequel.

IMO Halo 2 stuff so far has looked like their original incarnations mostly.

Omni

Because making a remake is different than making a sequel? I mean, setting aside the generalizations (I quite like the Chief's armor in 4, ditto the Covenant), one of them is by definition trying to be as close to the original as possible, whereas the other is a more creative effort. Why shouldn't they be allowed to try new things?
Of course they can try new things. One of the things that I most looked forward to in between Bungie's Halo titles was that with every game things would be redesigned. Improved. But it all would still fit on the general aesthetic that had been built up over the years

Halo 4 kinda throws that out. I have no problem with Chief's armour (should have been explained better but whatever), but in general they took everything and made it drastically different for no reason. And then with these Anniversary games it seems like they don't even bother to use their redesigned assets half the time anyway. So what's the point?

Woorloog

Banned
Most Halo 4 redesigns are newer, post-war stuff.
The ships are all new. The equipment is new. The Covies are different sub-species/races, with post-war equipment, perhaps some it is new, perhaps some of it is very old.
The comics show old and new designs apparently, sometimes even in the same panels.

Arguably there are rather drastic differences at times... which make less sense.

EDIT some like the Chief's armor need better explanations. And the Dawn being changed can't be really explained unless the ship is retconned to be a Striden-class ship, which would require making some changes to Halo 3... The Dawn being changed is the only change i really, really didn't like in Halo 4 BTW.

/ramblings
change for the sake of change. with really shitty reasoning: Sub-species.

it all comes down to wanting to distance "their Halo" from Bungie's Halo.

Of course they can try new things. One of the things that I most looked forward to in between Bungie's Halo titles was that with every game things would be redesigned. Improved. But it all would still fit on the general aesthetic that had been built up over the years

Halo 4 kinda throws that out. I have no problem with Chief's armour (should have been explained better but whatever), but in general they took everything and made it drastically different for no reason. And then with these Anniversary games it seems like they don't even bother to use their redesigned assets half the time anyway. So what's the point?

They wanted to do something new, and the 4 year time skip in-universe justified it (Chief's armor, admittedly, should have just been an outright retcon). I guess I don't see any compelling reason to keep it the same. As long as the end product looks good (and admittedly, that wasn't always the case with 4), what's the harm?

Mistel

Banned
The Covies are different sub-species/races, with post-war equipment, perhaps some it is new, perhaps some of it is very old.
The comics show old and new designs apparently, sometimes even in the same panels.
The storm are the only faction that I can think of having any sort of logical reasoning for the large amount of variance between their equipment. Although that said I don't like any of the new Elite armor much it's ugly and a pointless change really..

Woorloog

Banned
The storm are the only faction that I can think of having any sort of logical reasoning for the large amount of variance between their equipment. Although that said I don't like any of the new Elite armor much it's ugly and a pointless change really..

The UNSC having a lot of variance is very easily justified really. Just consider modern armies. The best troops have the best equipment, everyone else has second or third-class stuff. Maintaining large amount of high-tech equipment is not easy nor cheap.
The UNSC we see in Halo 4 is naturally the top of the line stuff, the best UNSC-2557 has to offer. If we were shown other places, we'd probably see a lot of older stuff.
Hell, the UNSC Army on Reach still used stuff that was phased out by the Marines, like DMRs (replaced by the more modern and better and versatile BR-55).

Mistel

Banned
If we were shown other places, we'd probably see a lot of older stuff. Hell, the UNSC Army on Reach still used stuff that was phased out by the Marines, like DMRs (replaced by the more modern and better and versatile BR-55).
We probably would see a lot of equipment variance if we to other places. Probably following similar reasoning to the UNSC Army keeping the DMR due to reliability and efficiency even though it had been supplanted by BR's in other branches.

Still not sure why it popped back up 4 though.

Yeah you can look at the highlights...here...

It's still not up on Youtube though. Should be up today or tomorrow.
Thanks. I guess I was hoping for some bigger announcement or reveal. Zanzibar and the CG trailers were it, apparently. Not bad, but not what I was expecting either. I think they are missing a golden opportunity not selling a special console edition bundled with the game.

Fotos

Thanks. I guess I was hoping for some bigger announcement or reveal. Zanzibar and the CG trailers were it, apparently. Not bad, but not what I was expecting either. I think they are missing a golden opportunity not selling a special console edition bundled with the game.

Yeah I was hoping to see some gameplay for 3 or 4 or at least some gameplay of the new Coag.

Would like to see some more gameplay though.
And is that GameStop event legitimate?
I couldn't find any real intel that shows they have it scheduled next month to show for Halo.

belushy

Banned

#soon

Would like to see some more gameplay though.
And is that GameStop event legitimate?
I couldn't find any real intel that shows they have it scheduled next month to show for Halo.

Trust us, Soon, etc. etc.

Madness

I wonder if what they're going tech/graphics wise in H2A will be carried over to Halo 5 or will that look completely different? Can't wait to see how the Playlist looks and feels.

Woorloog

Banned
Welp that moon mission was slightly disappointing.

Sums up my entire experience with Destiny pretty much...

I explored pretty much everything i could. Pretty place, but rather uninteresting. Too small too.

I would like to visit some airless place in Halos though, Moon or Mars or some such.

jem0208

I explored pretty much everything i could. Pretty place, but rather uninteresting. Too small too.

I would like to visit some airless place in Halos though, Moon or Mars or some such.

Yup.

I didn't bother exploring much but I felt it had a nice atmosphere. However that was promptly ruined by some random guy speeding past on a pike and killing the guys I was fighting. I really liked the seamless matchmaking feature on Earth but it just felt out of place on the Moon.

Woorloog

Banned
Yup.

I didn't bother exploring much but I felt it had a nice atmosphere. However that was promptly ruined by some random guy speeding past on a pike and killing the guys I was fighting. I really liked the seamless matchmaking feature on Earth but it just felt out of place on the Moon.

I found a Pike and killed everything with it...
I miss Warthogs so much...

Omni

So... the destiny moon mission was pretty cool, but a bit anti climactic. I want more!
Have you explored the Hellmouth yet? I'm still going. Very cool. I want to get in a doorway but there are two level 12 hollowed knights guarding it ahhh.

Beta has changed my opinion on the game greatly. Definitely picking up the full game

Woorloog

Banned
Have you explored the Hellmouth yet? I'm still going. Very cool. I want to get in a doorway but there are two level 12 hollowed knights guarding it ahhh.

Those two guys didn't offer any challenge. Shoot, run back. Go there and shoot again, retreat. Rinse and repeat. EDIT i had lost my Pike by the time i met them. With Pike they'd be even more of a pushover. BTW, the door behind them is sealed.
The place isn't very interesting. Looks cool but... eh, it lacks interesting elements. Something that makes you look at it and wonder.

Fuchsdh

So can someone from HaloGAF who knows about the lore explain what Frank was talking about regarding the Halo ring trying to go into slipspace and failing? I assume after it was partially destroyed it just kind of ... laid there. Frank seemed to suggest there is some kind of recovery mechanism, though there seems to be a lack of oxygen and weird issues with gravity?

Pike felt sort of like the Chopper in ODST FF. Just a wrecking machine.

Beta has changed my opinion on the game greatly. Definitely picking up the full game

That interconnected undergroud map is amazing.

But still the game will die fast since the level cap is 20 and you can farm pretty easy in solo and level up really fast.

Nowise10

But still the game will die fast since the level cap is 20 and you can farm pretty easy in solo and level up really fast.

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why level 20 being the max will mean the game will "die" fast.

daedalius

I take it back, I'd take Infinity settings over Destiny PVP.

Spawning with 1hk snipers, shotguns, etc with plentiful ammo around the map; along with insta-kill supers, and some ARs that are basically death lasers that can score headshots. H2A can't get here fast enough.

Sage must have had his hands all over this one!

The pve on the other hand, with a nice 'bonus hip fire accuracy mod' is absolutely fantastic. Plays very similar to halo with the grenades, punches, and headshots. I love it. I explored all of the Moon map, and damn, that place was incredible. Hellmouth!

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why level 20 being the max will mean the game will "die" fast.

Unless you like grinding (I had enough with Borderlands 2) you would easily reach end game in less than a week. The Enemies are not something to be fear since you can go normal mode, farm them and go hard mode later to get got gear and them farm them in hard mode.
Missions are no hard either hope it will improve in the final game

FyreWulff

Leveling up fast is intentional in Destiny. It's centered around how you customize yourself after the level cap. Note how they don't character lock anything, you can take -all- of your stuff off one character, put it in storage, and put it on a new one. They want you to have no fear about making new characters

Also there's no doubt the level cap will keep going up for expansions and sequels.

Those two guys didn't offer any challenge. Shoot, run back. Go there and shoot again, retreat. Rinse and repeat. EDIT i had lost my Pike by the time i met them. With Pike they'd be even more of a pushover. BTW, the door behind them is sealed.
The place isn't very interesting. Looks cool but... eh, it lacks interesting elements. Something that makes you look at it and wonder.

I'd agree with you, but then there's that chain.

Karl2177

Leveling up fast is intentional in Destiny. It's centered around how you customize yourself after the level cap. Note how they don't character lock anything, you can take -all- of your stuff off one character, put it in storage, and put it on a new one. They want you to have no fear about making new characters

Also there's no doubt the level cap will keep going up for expansions and sequels.

Leveling has also been slightly accelerated in the Beta.

Also, when did you get your tag? It's new to me.

Top Bottom