• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
Because if people can't fill up their XP bars what will they do?!?!?
If only there was an arsenal of abilities they had unlocked that they could experiment with!

Really though I get that some people like the whole progression thing but what I don't get is the idea that a low level cap is detrimental in a game. Sure it's feels cool to level up and get new abilities but I also like being able to have them and then just play the way I want to.

Bungie has said how they want it to be more about building your character anyway so a high level cap wouldn't help that. If it is just about wanting to keep leveling then there's still 3 subclasses per class. If you need to level up the same way to unlock abilities for each one that's 60 levels per character.

Madness

Just something I've been thinking about, is the reason people hate Halo:Reach or Halo 4 and don't play it because they know what the series was like and don't like what it became or what? Because I'm hearing and seeing that people who hated the uneven starts, bloom, armor abilities, and all kinds of stuff in the newer Halo games, for some reason have no problem playing it in TitanFall or Destiny.

Even anecdotally, I have a lot of former Halo 2, Halo 3 friends who left Halo 4 within the month, and they're saying they actually enjoy Destiny, and yet they hated all of it in Halo.

I mean even with all the junk, I still enjoyed playing Halo 3, Reach and 4 over almost all other shooters.

Karl2177

Just something I've been thinking about, is the reason people hate Halo:Reach or Halo 4 and don't play it because they know what the series was like and don't like what it became or what? Because I'm hearing and seeing that people who hated the uneven starts, bloom, armor abilities, and all kinds of stuff in the newer Halo games, for some reason have no problem playing it in TitanFall or Destiny.

Even anecdotally, I have a lot of former Halo 2, Halo 3 friends who left Halo 4 within the month, and they're saying they actually enjoy Destiny, and yet they hated all of it in Halo.

I mean even with all the junk, I still enjoyed playing Halo 3, Reach and 4 over almost all other shooters.

Yes. I don't mind those things in Call of Duty either for that matter.

Sounds about right. I've always said that you could only fairly call Reach and 4 "bad" in relation to the Halo games; it's purely a question of context, so changing the title seems to be all that's required.

That said, IMHO, there's a lot of hype behind Destiny, and that's probably part of it as well.

-Ryn

Banned

If I wanted every game to play the same I'd play modern military shooters
:p

Don't change a game because it works for other games. Change a game because it benefits the way the game plays. I don't think Halo 4 is a bad game. It just isn't a great Halo game. I think Halo 4 has a good core and it really does have some cool ideas that I hope return but it ultimately was let down by lack of features and too many changes with no alternatives.

I think it could be cool for Halo to take a page from Titanfalls movement systems or Destiny's... um... well Destiny isn't a good comparison for Halo in terms of gameplay. The enemies and locations are cool though. So there's that...

FyreWulff

I don't mind most of Call of Duty's stuff within CoD since CoD's multi was designed around it, and I put in the CoD disc to play CoD.

What irritates people is when you put in another game, yet the developers insist/assume you want to continue playing CoD. What's the point if you're not going to offer a unique experience anymore?

Welfare

If I put in Halo, I expect to play a Halo game, when I put in Call of Duty, I expect Call of Duty. I don't like it when I put in Halo and play CoD.

For the last sentence, I agree, Reach and 4 were more enjoyable than most, but still, I want to play Halo.

Nirvana

If I put in Halo, I expect to play a Halo game, when I put in Call of Duty, I expect Call of Duty. I don't like it when I put in Halo and play CoD.

For the last sentence, I agree, Reach and 4 were more enjoyable than most, but still, I want to play Halo.

I think this is basically it. Since COD does COD better than Halo does COD, why would I not just play COD...if that's what I wanted...ya know?

I'd rather play Halo, because Halo used to do Halo better than COD does COD.

Luckily now, COD doesn't do COD very well, so maybe we can get Halo that does Halo well again, because people don't want COD anymore.

Get it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys Destiny PvP, but man, it's not even close to being as good as Halo. I really can't wait for the Master Chief Collection. I need my fix, but I'm not gonna buy a 360 again.

belushy

Banned
Double jumps? Sure. Wall jumps? Ehhh maybe?

What exactly would be different about wall jumps compared to double jumps, lol

I'm not talking about Titanfall-esque wall running if that is what you're assuming.

edit: Oh and no stringing wall jumps together or anything like that. Just a slight wall jump to get a vantage point or to dodge some shots.

JDHarbs

Cross-posting from the Custom Cover Art Thread

14775876083_a45dfa8854_z.jpg

Testing out the Xbox One template posted on the previous page. Cover was done in the same style as the Halo novels to make my Halo collection look better on my shelf. I plan on doing the rest of the series in a similar fashion.

Hi-Res Download

Woorloog

Banned
Wouldn't moving like not dragging an anchor around be better than double jumping?

Yes, it would be. Better strafing, considerably faster base movement speed are something Halo needs (no need for sprint, though in campaign having unlimited sprint on top of fast base movement would be great). Halo 4's movement and jumping feels good in general, just a bit sluggish still. Fortunately it isn't Reach sluggish...

In any case, i really hope 343i keeps the immersion of being encased in a suit of armor in Halo 5. The sounds, the helmet HUD... (in campaign, and i really want that HUD in MP too, clarity be damned, just make it an option. Oh and color options too, not tied to visor color).

willow ve

Destiny seems like a half attempt at a Borderlands game. Borderlands is addicting (to some people) because there's endless progressions bars, endless loot, almost endless ways you can reconfigure your skill tree for each character, there are 5-6 different characters to play, and the world is open.

Destiny seems to be missing out on a few of these hooks. At least in the beta. There wasn't endless loot - there really needs to be chests of loot to discover, open, and compare. On that note it's not possible to compare anything. Maybe it's the beta, but it would be great to compare weapons on the fly instead of being forced into a start menu (which doesn't pause the game). Also felt like any time I got a new weapon I had to travel back to the tower to get a guy there to unlock the weapon, so I could compare it, possibly equip it, and then travel back to a mission.

The world wasn't really open - to travel from point to point in Old Russia it felt like you were forced to jump to orbit and wait for a new section to load (maybe there's a way to walk throughout all of Old Russia - but it didn't seem possible).

One question - on X1 or PS4 can you see the damage your fire team is causing? As in; can you see their hit / damage markers on enemy characters? It would be very helpful in certain fights (fallen walker, etc.) if you could see which leg your teammates were firing at. That thing is a grind in the ass to take down if you don't all focus fire on one leg.

And I know people are defending the level 20 cap. But when I first heard that I really thought it was a joke. LIke a temporary rank cap in Reach. My brain cannot fathom a game like Destiny (Borderlands) that doesn't let you level for longer than rank 20. Granted the scaling of ranks might be really exponential (it might take 200+ hours of gameplay to hit 20 - who knows), but based on the the Beta it only took around 3 hours to hit level 8. What are you going to do when you hit max 20 and have completed the campaign side of the game? Hope for DLC?

Madness

November and the Master Chief Collections cannot get here soon enough. I'll literally put over 100+ hours into the multi-player within the month.

JonCha

I'd like to know when we're gonna see Halo 3 footage rather than just H2A. It's the only game we haven't seen at this point with any updates (Halo 4 discounted because it's relatively speaking so new).

Mistel

Banned
Yes, it would be. Better strafing, considerably faster base movement speed are something Halo needs (no need for sprint, though in campaign having unlimited sprint on top of fast base movement would be great). Halo 4's movement and jumping feels good in general, just a bit sluggish still. Fortunately it isn't Reach sluggish...
Reach movement is something I hope isn't experience again in future installments. With more movement it would make it a more enjoyable especially if you could actually strafe that would be nice.

Woorloog

Banned
Reach movement is something I hope isn't experience again in future installments. With more movement it would make it a more enjoyable especially if you could actually strafe that would be nice.

Movement speed being equal regardless of direction you're moving, that would be great, with no inertia (or extremely minor one at most). Or would that be confusing?

Animation shouldn't be a real problem, i'd imagine: if one strafes at full speed, the Spartan would simply point the gun and look at the aiming direction but torso and legs would be, uh, pointing at where they are going. If moving slowly, normal strafe animation. If moving backwards, the Spartan should twist around to point their gun behind (play Red Faction Guerrilla to see what i mean, third-person view is good for showing this). Though care needs to be taken to keep hitboxes and silhouette reasonable when running to sides and backwards.
Halo 4/5 Spartans certainly look agile enough to do this.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how fast you could strafe/move backwards in old arena shooters like UT and Quake?

Woorloog

Banned
In all the Quakes and UTs you move at the same speed in every direction; very fast.

So, why not in Halo?
Don't see anything wrong with this. This was great in Red Faction Guerrilla really (it also had sprint to any direction, made traveling on foot really good).

EDIT i have to note that i always like the slowish pace of Halo 3. I didn't like the way movement felt really, but the pacing was good. Halo 4 movement feels good in general, if slow, but the overall pace of the game is too fast. But game pacing and movement speed are not really linked together, right?

daedalius

So, why not in Halo?
Don't see anything wrong with this. This was great in Red Faction Guerrilla really (it also had sprint to any direction, made traveling on foot really good).

EDIT i have to note that i always like the slowish pace of Halo 3. I didn't like the way movement felt really, but the pacing was good. Halo 4 movement feels good in general, if slow, but the overall pace of the game is too fast. But game pacing and movement speed are not really linked together, right?

To be honest, I thought you already did in pretty much all of the Halos. If you don't then it must not be much of a difference.

Well something makes strafing pretty shit in most Halos, is the the damn inertia?
Also pretty sure backwards movement isn't equal to forward movement. Of course it could be just that it feels like it isn't as fast... Gotta test this the next time i'm playing with my friend.

Its definitely the inertia. In quake and UT I don't think you have much at all!

Woorloog

Banned
Well something makes strafing pretty shit in most Halos, is the the damn inertia?
Also pretty sure backwards movement isn't equal to forward movement. Of course it could be just that it feels like it isn't as fast... Gotta test this the next time i'm playing with my friend.

Yup, inertia plays a important role here but since you cant acelerate going backwards I usually use it as a back pedal.

jem0208

So, why not in Halo?

I don't think the game speed should be anywhere near close to Quake levels. Unless you're referring to moving at the same speed in all directions, then I kinda agree.

Although I've always thought backpedaling should be slightly slower. Pissed me off when I would chase someone with a sword and they'd just backpedal away. Although I suppose that's just me being shit with the sword :p

I don't know about you guys but, past the really bad resolution and framerate, Halo 3 really is a gorgeous game. It's just so clean and polished looking. I see a lot of people on GAF say the opposite though.

Top Bottom