• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Er, no. Maybe I did in a sloppy manner, but that was not the point I was trying to convey. Just because this beta is coming early doesn't mean they'll remove a mechanic or an aspect of the game you and other players don't like.

So? I don't think anybody really expects feedback to have guaranteed results.

Signs point to community feedback being important to 343i, however, so we're in a position to be optimistic about our comments having an effect.

{pls stop raining on the parade}

Fracas

#fuckonami
Er, no. Maybe I did in a sloppy manner, but that was not the point I was trying to convey. Just because this beta is coming early doesn't mean they'll remove a mechanic or an aspect of the game you and other players don't like.

For example: I like the bubble shield as an ability to be fought over in Halo 3. A lot of people didn't, but it wasn't removed, and probably wouldn't have been even if players got their hands on it in early December 2006.

Wait that's the entire point of a beta

HTupolev

I had the idea armor lock was designed to stop vehicles stuff charging your suit to destroy the vechicles but what became of it....it was just a bad use of the AA.
Even the anti-vehicle role was awful, it makes splatter gameplay really chaotic, especially when driving Covenant vehicles.

People sometimes defend it because it mitigates certain dumb situations. But while that's true, it really just says that there are issues with the vehicle design; counterbalancing the imbalance with AL doesn't suddenly make problematic vehicle play situations good.

(Actually, especially where the banshee is concerned, this is one of the areas where Reach's jetpack is a defensible as a gameplay mechanic. Keeps things interesting for both the pilot and whoever is on foot, jetpackers are highly vulnerable to utility weapons, and large maps can sometimes be designed so that the "breaking" of the map flow isn't particularly problematic for the overall gameplay.)

Madness

you mean besides marketing, right?

But almost 11 months before release is a double edged sword for marketing. What if the beta is shit and no one really likes it? You've just cemented nearly 11 months before launch that the game is bad, and created even more salty fans.

I mean all it took was a few weeks of Halo 4 infinity play at launch and hardly anyone played it by January. The point of it being this early is to blunt a lot of potential problems and to listen to feedback from a lot of salty fans no?

Ghazi

I'll never forget on launch day, franklinaut and I were playing infinity slayer and we just looked at each other with utter regret.
Should've played Dominion, remember when Polygon said it was the best thing to happen to XBL? You're missing out, brah.

Should've played Dominion, remember when Polygon said it was the best thing to happen to XBL? You're missing out, brah.

I've got mixed feelings about Dominion. I love the idea (building up your base as a reward for holding a point) but there's no denying it played like crap most of the time.

IHaveIce

Banned
Tomorrow is the MLG halo 3 tournament. I would be more excited if it were 4v4. 2v2 games can be boring to watch. Halo back on MLG is kinda cool.
despute people saying over and over again that 4v4 is the core of Halo I still think 2v2 is the real core, especially because of Halo CE

I love 4v4 and 2v2 though, BTB is just casual fun, nothing wrong with that though

You gotta start a social media campaign where people dump Mtn Dew on their heads to raise awarness for juices.
Best idea ever.

Was looking over some h3 stats on waypoint today and found out ive got nearly 68k campaign kills and 1200 campaign games lol. Before I started speedrunning that would have been like 1000 kills and 30 games.

Would be cool if they had better stat tracking for h3 though, its fairly limited at the moment.

Tomorrow is the MLG halo 3 tournament. I would be more excited if it were 4v4. 2v2 games can be boring to watch. Halo back on MLG is kinda cool.

I love Halo 3 but it doesn't do 2v2 well at all. The dubs playlist itself probably had the worst playlist-settings-to-gametype logic of any of the staple offerings, with the exception of the acid trip purgatory of Shiska's 1v1 fusion coil fetish spread.

But almost 11 months before release is a double edged sword for marketing. What if the beta is shit and no one really likes it? You've just cemented nearly 11 months before launch that the game is bad, and created even more salty fans.

I mean all it took was a few weeks of Halo 4 infinity play at launch and hardly anyone played it by January. The point of it being this early is to blunt a lot of potential problems and to listen to feedback from a lot of salty fans no?

Has a console beta ever been released so far from full retail release? If nothing else it speaks of great confidence in the product. I'm expecting something very special, particularly if they think they can prize me away from the MCC so soon after release.

For example: I like the bubble shield as an ability to be fought over in Halo 3. A lot of people didn't, but it wasn't removed, and probably wouldn't have been even if players got their hands on it in early December 2006.
You liked the BubS? Lmao.

TheOddOne

Halo 4’s post updates made somewhat radical changes to the gameplay—where they could, at least-—and some of it was based on player feedback. So it’s not too farfetched to think that Halo 5 beta will get the same treatment. I don’t think they will remove new introduced elements though, but they probably will try to accommodate players that just want a more stripped down version of the game.

Even the Halo 5 beta trailer is kind of indicative of player feedback, because they certainly say the aspects we associate Halo with such as “Equal starts”, “Map control”, “Small maps”, “Arena”, and so on.

m23

So still no answer if Halo will be at Fan Expo this weekend, I ended up buying my ticket anyway. Sunset and Forza will be there along with plenty of other stuff. Maybe I'll be surprised when I arrive.

Madness

I love Halo 3 but it doesn't do 2v2 well at all. The dubs playlist itself probably had the worst playlist-settings-to-gametype logic of any of the staple offerings, with the exception of the acid trip purgatory of Shiska's 1v1 fusion coil fetish spread.

Has a console beta ever been released so far from full retail release? If nothing else it speaks of great confidence in the product. I'm expecting something very special, particularly if they think they can prize me away from the MCC so soon after release.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. That they honestly believe they're creating a game that will bring back a lot of fans. Now sure they can't please everyone but they're doing this so early, solely to get feedback and to see what works and doesn't work. How players are playing, what weapons are being used, are the new spartan abilities allowing for cheap or unfair game play etc.

Off the top of my head, I think Gears 3 beta was quite a few months before launch, but that's only because they delayed the game to Sept 2011 and decided to release the beta during the original release date of April.

I'm more hopeful for Halo 5 solely because everyone who's played H2A has said it's a lot of fun and really brings them back to Halo 2 and Halo 3. Can only hope they use this momentum to bring the fans back.

m23

Off the top of my head, I think Gears 3 beta was quite a few months before launch, but that's only because they delayed the game to Sept 2011 and decided to release the beta during the original release date of April.

That was such an awesome and polished beta. Makes sense since the game was delayed though. Having the Halo 5 beta so early makes me hope that 343 is willing to make radical changes if needed based on community feedback. I think Spartan abilities are something they are interested in hearing feedback about.

Booties

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. That they honestly believe they're creating a game that will bring back a lot of fans. Now sure they can't please everyone but they're doing this so early, solely to get feedback and to see what works and doesn't work. How players are playing, what weapons are being used, are the new spartan abilities allowing for cheap or unfair game play etc.

I'm more hopeful for Halo 5 solely because everyone who's played H2A has said it's a lot of fun and really brings them back to Halo 2 and Halo 3. Can only hope they use this momentum to bring the fans back.

Opening the Beta soon after the MCC's release is a good idea. Need to strike while the iron is hot. Get people playing it to get more feedback, especially from the population that swore off halo and 343 after Blops 2 released.

Did someone dare challenge a dev in here? I don't think so buddies.
lmao

Halo 4’s post updates made somewhat radical changes to the gameplay—where they could, at least-—and some of it was based on player feedback. So it’s not too farfetched to think that Halo 5 beta will get the same treatment. I don’t think they will remove new introduced elements though, but they probably will try to accommodate players that just want a more stripped down version of the game.

Even the Halo 5 beta trailer is kind of indicative of player feedback, because they certainly say the aspects we associate Halo with such as “Equal starts”, “Map control”, “Small maps”, “Arena”, and so on.
that trailer was buzzwords. just buzzshot. they can say anything they want until they show loadouts/ "spartan abilities" just being AAs and other shit.

Fuchsdh

lmao

that trailer was buzzwords. just buzzshot. they can say anything they want until they show loadouts/ "spartan abilities" just being AAs and other shit.

Considering how much they talked about "equal starts" all evidence available points to Spartan abilities being new innate methods of movement akin to Titanfall as opposed to exclusionary mods.

dwells

Well, looks like the official Halo 2 Anniversary thread got shut down, so I'm migrating over here. Don't want to risk missing any H2 news. Guess I'll fill out the survey too:

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
I think I've been a member for six months or so and lurked for probably a year? Not sure.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
Early/mid twenties, US.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I bought an original Xbox shortly after my first hands-on experience with Halo. I've completed every Halo campaign and played every multiplayer. However, I lost my passion for the franchise sometime after Halo 3 was released.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
(i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)

Multiplayer.

What is your favorite playlist?
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Halo 2 Team Hardcore/MLG customs, as I enjoy competitive play. That said, I did have a major soft spot for BTB with my crew - it actually got immensely competitive and enjoyable once you hit the high 30 ranks for Halo 2 BTB. Also have a soft spot for Team Slayer if only because it was the primary rank and hugely heated and competitive.

AR or BR?
Halo 2 BR55. Accept no substitutions.

Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
50 in multiple playlists (Slayer, MLG, others). I regard Halo 3 ranks as kind of irrelevant seeing as I wasn't good at that game and still pulled 50s with ease. For Halo 2, I capped at a 40 in Team Slayer sometime after the 1.1 update and stopped playing TS on that account as it took me eight hours to get a match and there was far too much cheating to bother.

Favorite Halo 2 map?
Midship. Brilliant map for Team Slayer, classic flag, neutral bomb, and FFA.

Favorite all-time Halo map?
Probably Midship again.

Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
Did my fair share of time on Bungie.net back in the H1 and H2 days, as well as High Impact Halo wayyyyy back when.

Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Used to play a lot of Call of Duty, especially back in the CoD4 days, but kind of tired of the franchise now. I used to really consider myself a "gamer," but for the past couple years or so my gaming comes down to maybe a couple hours a week and often just casual games here and there.

The basic point I was trying to get across was that even if you and some other players don't like a certain mechanic, it doesn't mean it'll get removed because other players may like it. I didn't say – nor even remotely implied – that 343 would ignore players on everything. Expectations and all that.

I mean, just because 343 adds something doesn't mean you or a lot of other people won't like it based on Halo 4. I liked some of things 343 did with Halo 4, like no grenade spawns on the map small maps. Talking about 4v4 on Haven. It really made me feel strategic when using grenades.

Nebula

I liked some of things 343 did with Halo 4, like no grenade spawns on the map. It really made me feel strategic when using grenades.

I don't enjoy people spamming plasmas over and over until they kill off you and your vehicle. I'd rather see plasmas on map than have the ability to spawn with them. In smaller gametypes maybe it was less of an issue. I haven't played 4 v 4 in Halo 4 enough to know that though.

-snip-
Oh, and Halo and I share the same birthday.
heh awesome, welcome :]
The basic point I was trying to get across was that even if you and some other players don't like a certain mechanic, it doesn't mean it'll get removed because other players may like it. I didn't say – nor even remotely implied – that 343 would ignore players on everything. Expectations and all that.

I mean, just because 343 adds something doesn't mean you or a lot of other people won't like it based on Halo 4. I liked some of things 343 did with Halo 4, like no grenade spawns on the map small maps. Talking about 4v4 on Haven. It really made me feel strategic when using grenades.
So basically you're saying, "Don't expect X, because developer has a mind of their own."

Okay, I think everyone understands that, so why make that point? Are you saying that to hopefully cull some of the reactions over a year from now when some people notice 343 still has Bubble Shields in Halo 5 despite people hating it in the Beta? Because IMO, you'd be wasting your finger strength typing that.

So with that being said, what is it that people aren't understanding? Are you implying more than what's described above? People will complain regardless, devs will do what they believe is best, fans may or may not have some level of impact on Halo 5's development, all things I think most of the people who post in here understand.

Homeboyd

So basically you're saying, "Don't expect X, because developer has a mind of their own."

Okay, I think everyone understands that, so why make that point? Are you saying that to hopefully cull some of the reactions over a year from now when some people notice 343 still has Bubble Shields in Halo 5 despite people hating it in the Beta? Because IMO, you'd be wasting your finger strength typing that.

So with that being said, what is it that people aren't understanding? Are you implying more than what's described above? People will complain regardless, devs will do what they believe is best, fans may or may not have some level of impact on Halo 5's development, all things I think most of the people who post in here understand.
Yeah I don't follow either.

Fracas understands devs are going to do what they want... I think Fracas' point was, maybe they shouldn't do whatever they want considering the population decline in Halo 4. No one expects devs to listen to "HaloGAF" to determine what the successful formula for Halo 5 should be, because like Dax said, this isn't representative of what everybody everywhere wants... but that's obvious. 343 saw a combination of factors that obviously drove people away from H4 and fracas believes that a lot of people here and in other communities predicted those factors would lead to that outcome... so put more consideration into what THESE fans are saying.

It would appear they are doing that considering the more arena approach for H5, but no one expects them to appease even all Halo fans on this site alone, let alone all Halo fans everywhere who may see eye to eye with us here. Of course there will be things in H5 that we won't like even if they listened to 90% of the things we said.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's probably just the speedometer calibrated high. They are usually made to over-read because of the dangers of under-reading. In some regions, speedometers are required to never read low by even a little bit; since they're very imprecise instruments, this effectively legally requires them to err high.

Lol no, the Ruckus built-in speedo only GOES to 40. So I could in fact be doing almost 50 on hills. No way to know.

I just noticed that Madness' statement was a generalization and clarified it a bit; that's all. Jeez. :/

Omni

Assuming that the E3 trailer wasn't total nonsense, you should be safe from the second.
I have a feeling that they're gonna split up the game.

They seem to be emphasising the arena type gameplay a little too much, IMO. Makes me wonder what else they've got going on beyond that (perhaps a split like competitive and social in Halo 3? Latter of which will include stuff that no one really wants like AA)

Nebula

They seem to be emphasising the arena type gameplay a little too much, IMO. Makes me wonder what else they've got going on beyond that (perhaps a split like competitive and social in Halo 3? Latter of which will include stuff that no one really wants like AA)

I don't think they would be stupid enough to risk killing another game via population split like Reach.

I don't feel that a social/competitive split necessarily implies that stuff like AAs and loadouts would make a comeback, especially since (again) they've specifically said that they're gone.

The way I see it, even thought the larger objective modes are my jam, arena gameplay is the essence of Halo. If you don't nail the core gameplay of that, the rest of the game is never going to work. That's why the beta is arena only; not so they can deceive anybody or relegate stuff like BTB to second class citizen status.

Top Bottom