• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Haha. I'm still planning on getting a kinectless bundle, but wanted to partake in the kinect goodness without spending an extra 150 dollars in october.

If it's any consolation, I got two years of LIVE cards when they were on sale for like $38 a year and I haven't even used them yet. Waiting until I actually get an XBO.

aj1467

The current story beats are really not that complicated.

I'm fairly sure that scene was in reference to someone with MC's qualities, not specifically MC. I think the Librarian, when she said "you" she was referring to the Spartans IIs in general. Or maybe she wasn't and MC is Shepard.

Agreed

And I'm pretty sure she meant Spartans in general too.

Besides John was never the best spartan 2. He was the luckiest and a jack of all trades kinda guy. Halsey always thought Fred held back to avoid attention and could have performed better (though he did consistently come in second place for almost everything lol) And kurt seemed to be a better leader. Kelly is the fastest, Linda is best sniper etc.

If it's any consolation, I got two years of LIVE cards when they were on sale for like $38 a year and I haven't even used them yet. Waiting until I actually get an XBO.
Some of us are wiser than others
daily-words-of-wisdom--wallpaper-clearly-true-words-of-wisdom-image.jpg

Yeah but at least those will be useful at some point.

Zing!
sick burn!! ;-)

Madness

Agreed

Besides John was never the best spartan 2. He was the luckiest and a jack of all trades kinda guy. Halsey always thought Fred held back to avoid attention and could have performed better (though he did consistently come in second place for almost everything lol) And kurt seemed to be a better leader. Kelly is the fastest, Linda is best sniper etc.

That sounds even crazier though, as if she could predict a sentient species with free will, would live long enough, not only to populate the planet, but create a genetic program where a bunch of kids are stolen and raised to become killing machines, outfitted with good armor, and that she's waiting for one of them etc. Just adds a pseudo-religious/spiritual type fate is pre-determined shtick to the story. It has to be John too, since the was the last thing standing in the way of certain annihilation by the Covenant and is the reason humanity even won/survived in the end.

Agreed

I dunno about Kurt being the better leader, but otherwise, yeah.

aj1467

That sounds even crazier though, as if she could predict a sentient species with free will, would live long enough, not only to populate the planet, but create a genetic program where a bunch of kids are stolen and raised to become killing machines, outfitted with good armor, and that she's waiting for one of them etc. Just adds a pseudo-religious/spiritual type fate is pre-determined shtick to the story. It has to be John too, since the was the last thing standing in the way of certain annihilation by the Covenant and is the reason humanity even won/survived in the end.
I don't mean in that much detail. But for there to be a general urge and desire by individuals with the Geas she created to create a super solider type program that augments humans to be stronger, faster and better than they normally are.
Super solider attempts weren't anything new.

The original Orion project was first tried in the 2300/2400s (can't remember the exact date) by the CMA. This failed and was later successfully redone by the UNSC in the late 2400s (aka spartan 1s. Like Johnson.)

Then the spartan 2 program was an evolution of that previous work but used the advances in tech to create powered battle armour which seem to be part of the "plan" too.

Kidnapping of children and the specific gene pool was likely due to the limitations Halsey found at the time. Both medical/technological and with the UNSCs gradually degrading state into full blown civil war, loyalty needed to be ensured.

Later advancements in tech and medicine now allows adults to be augmented with a higher success rate. Ultimately making children moot.

Edit: re:kurt... What was his thing? Wait... Was he the one with the sixth sense type thing?

I don't mean in that much detail. But for there to be a general urge and desire by individuals with the Geas she created to create a super solider type program that augments humans to be stronger, faster and better than they normally are.

The original Orion project was first tried in the 2300/2400s (can't remember the exact date) by the CMA. This failed and was later successfully redone by the UNSC in the late 2400s (aka spartan 1s. Like Johnson.)

Then the spartan 2 program was an evolution of that previous work but used the advances in tech to create powered battle armour which seem to be part of the "plan" too.

Kidnapping of children and the specific gene pool was likely due to the limitations Halsey found at the time. Both medical/technological and with the UNSCs gradually degrading state into full blown civil war, loyalty needed to be ensured.

Later advancements in tech and medicine now allows adults to be augmented with a higher success rate. Ultimately making children moot.

Edit: re:kurt... What was his thing? Wait... Was he the one with the sixth sense type thing?
Kurt had extraordinary perception.

Danger sense, yeah. He was an excellent leader as well, but not as good as John.

Mix

Reposting if someone did not get the chance to see this yesterday.

The audio is 10 time better then the first episode and I had a lot of good laughs during the podcast. This is a great refresher of what has happen in these last few months. Great job guys! Keep up the work.

Also, if you need someone for a segment about forge or customs I am more willing to help out :). You can also get some of the top forgers here on HaloGAF to put there input as well.

Thank you for enjoying it! I'm really happy about what we have going on and what improvements are going to be made as we progress!

Mix

HOLY SHIT

MASTER FUCKING CHIEF MAKES A JOKE ABOUT BEING PROMOTED IN ISSUE 8.
I Cannot even handle how funny I thought it was.

Mix

'Twas a nice moment. 20 pages an issue just isn't enough time to develop what's going down, though.

for sure. I really hope 343 pays some sort of homage to what is happening in the comics. It's all way too important. As it's been said before, take this story line and port it into a 30 minutes digital short by Blur

what's the joke?

Hood: You're home now. We could finally make an officer out of you. You'd have admiral without much argument from anybody.

Chief: No offense, sir, but "The Admiral" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Hood: Was that a joke, son? Didn't think you had it in you.

Edited for spoiler tags; it's not *really* spoiler-y, in the traditional sense, but some people might prefer to get it straight out of the comics, though I can't imagine why.

Omni

Anyone gonna be playing Halo 4 later?

My new interwebs was installed yesterday. Kinda curious to see if it's better when playing with Americans. Certainly seems faster but I think the main problem was latency so I'm interested to see

So you guys want 343 to create a filler cgi prologue for halo 5 that covers the events in escalation? Good luck. I hope to, but I don't believe they'll invest in that much, tbh.

They'll probably cover it in terminals OR not and just focus on it's own original story like they said.

So you guys want 343 to create a filler cgi prologue for halo 5 that covers the events in escalation? Good luck. I hope to, but I don't believe they'll invest in that much, tbh.

They'll probably cover it in terminals OR not and just focus on it's own original story like they said.

While I would like a CGI Escalation adaptation (because then I wouldn't have to deal with the art), I still don't think it's going to be important enough to merit it's inclusion in the terminals, or even a summary in 5. It's a cool story, don't get me wrong, I just have my doubts about how far-reaching its effects will be.

Booties

Banned
re: Argument about what the librarian meant by "you"

I think she met the entire species, but that is still pretty dumb. Humanity was still pretty stupid. They were losing a war to the covenant who weren't even using the weapons they found from the forerunners correctly. It's all just an extremely lucky circumstance that someone like Halsey was smart, cunning, and deceptive enough to advance the spartan program in such crazy ways. Then you have to have kids survive the whole process. Then a million other things have to happen and you get the Chief.

What I'm trying to say is that humanity was basically apes until right before the chief saved the world now we are some sort of master race. O.K. I liked the lucky space marine with a machine gun and a computer partner better. This savior crap is laaaaame.

Dub117

Heroic ODST is frustrating me more than my last year run of legendary Halo 2. I know that is probably dumb, but any pointers? I love shields, and I really use them to my advantage, which is also why I'm terrible at most FPS. I almost use them as their own weapon, in a way.

Heroic ODST is frustrating me more than my last year run of legendary Halo 2. I know that is probably dumb, but any pointers? I love shields, and I really use them to my advantage, which is also why I'm terrible at most FPS. I almost use them as their own weapon, in a way.

I found managing long range weapons/ammo and finding key points of the encounters where you can effectively pick off enemies and move along similar sight lines essential. Stick and move, repeat. Also look for bottlenecks where you can exit in a hurry but take enemies down through doorways etc.

Madness

I really hope it's all contained in game. There has to be some way to tell it. You can't advance the universe and story so much in a games dominated medium and expect people who only play the games to keep up. I always felt the terminals were nice Easter eggs with interesting back story and a way for fans to find them and add to the lore. Using them to explain the main game story is a no-no in my book. That was the biggest problem with H4. We're coming from the final shots of H3 which is Chief and Cortana saying wake me when you need me, and humans scratching 117 onto a rock because they were almost extinct, and yet we jump into a changed Chief, this whole Didact, promethean, Infinity, Storm Covenant, reclaimer story with no way to know wtf. The starting CGI was a shot of Halsey handcuffed and being interrogated. What did that have to do with anything in the campaign?

So whatever is happening in Escalation, and if it's something huge, I need to know about it in the games.

Madness

frankie2_800-18427f545eeb4642822d2b6da9849e36.jpg

Edit: It also has to be DOT approved and safe, plus I think once the paint and effects are done it'll look great. It is a helmet made for a 7' foot + Spartan after all.

Zooming in, I do think it looks a bit larger than it needs to be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hahaha send that thing back to the drawing board Frankie. That looks ridiculous

It's literally a hollow prototype and it is sitting directly on my bald skull with no interior padding. Real thing will be more proportional and even this one is almost the same proportions as my stock Bell full face helmet.

160 pounds, btw.

Mix

It's literally a hollow prototype and it is sitting directly on my bald skull with no interior padding. Real thing will be more proportional and even this one is almost the same proportions as my stock Bell full face helmet.

160 pounds, btw.

DAMN I WAS RIGHT, I SHOULDN'T HAVE EDITED IN THE 140 PART.

Speedy is a liar, he's back on september 21 of this year.

Top Bottom