• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Post what happened, with spoiler tags.
6 Composers

Another Halo came through slipspace that Didact wants to repair and eradicate all of humanity within the galaxy for good this time.

Monitor is PISSED that Didact betrayed their agreement and assists the Spartans back to the portal and fights off the prometheans as they go back.

Didact has the index and tries to get rid of Blue team and chief. Chief ninjas Didact with his knife to the Didacts right eye.

wwm0nkey

6 Composers

Another Halo came through slipspace that Didact wants to repair and eradicate all of humanity within the galaxy for good this time.

Monitor is PISSED that Didact betrayed their agreement and assists the Spartans back to the portal and fights off the prometheans as they go back.

Didact has the index and tries to get rid of Blue team and chief. Chief ninjas Didact with his knife to the Didacts right eye.
This shit had better be made into a CGI short!

nillapuddin

This shit had better be made into a CGI short!

seriously, I would die, damn it was awesome

I wish the panels were laid it in a way I could cap w/o getting crazy, but its just too awesome to not see the whole thing start to finish

Im sure as more eyes get on impressions and conversations will continue un-tagged in the Lore Thread

wwm0nkey

I know Frankie & Co always repeat that the comics aren't needed to understand Halo 5, but I'm starting to worry.
I'm sure they have to know how stupid it would be to not release this in CGI or other format. The art is terrible in this but the story is important and not a lot of people read comics, especially those with terrible art.

Booties

Banned
I really need to avoid the spoilers so I can be the blank control group that hasn't read any lore between halo 4 and 5 so I can gauge if 343 improved their ability to tell a story within the actual confines of its media.

No more of this required reading bull.

aj1467

6 Composers

also confirmed that black team was killed by the Didact.

The crack in john's visor seems to be from the Didact starting to crush his helmet as he holds chief in the air by his head after the knife in eye incident.

The ring that got brought in seems to be installation 03. (The composers forge isn't on the ring. It's seems to be at a separate location).

Current theory is that the halo ring can be used to amplify the composers effect. We also know from the forerunner trilogy that the rings can be fine tuned to only target a small area in a certain direction instead of their usual omnidirectional pattern.

wwm0nkey

I really need to avoid the spoilers so I can be the blank control group that hasn't read any lore between halo 4 and 5 so I can gauge if 343 improved their ability to tell a story within the actual confines of its media.

No more of this required reading bull.
You should do that and if they fail then as a consumer you are proof this required reading stuff is stupid, which even for someone who does read the stuff still thinks Halo 4 failed with that big time.

Booties

Banned
You should do that and if they fail then as a consumer you are proof this required reading stuff is stupid, which even for someone who does read the stuff still thinks Halo 4 failed with that big time.

I will. I'm not going to be a great representative of the consumer though because I read synopsese of a lot of the books. I did a little research for halo 4 too. We'll see how it pans out though, and hope that Halo 5 is a standalone story.

At this point if they're trying to let Halo 5 stand on its own, then I'm starting to think this Didact is not even going to be part of it. Not sure how something like this is going to be wrapped up in one issue. Really don't want the character turning into Team Rocket and blasting off again. Something else is going on that we aren't privy to just yet.

TheOddOne

I’ll echo the statements as others, the latest issue was great; devoid of any filler and packed with fun surprises. Art is improved, but there are still some really, really ugly bits here and there.

For booties:

jteGNu1JolB8J.png

Please understand.

Omni

6 Composers

Dammit. Are they serious? /grumbles.

I know they're cheap... But putting all this information in shitty comics is just silly. It's pretty much a given that I'll need to buy these to understand Halo 5, right? No way they're wrapping everything up in-game.

Project

As long as camo and overshield can go back to spawning like power weapons, I will be very happy. No more of this armor ability camo garbagio.

gAg CruSh3r

Reposting just in case no one saw it last night, but we did it! We prevented it from becoming vaporware much like other fabled Halo podcasts! (I'm looking at you ManCannon). We upped the audio quality and the number of dumb halo in-jokes in this one, we're pretty proud of it, and hope you guys will take time to listen and leave feedback!

(The Banner is clickable, it goes to Episode 2!)

Wahrer, zoojoo, Mix and Ghazi are back with episode two of Reclaimer Radio! The first half covers Ian and Austin's RTX meetup, while after the intermission we all have a roundtable covering the new Halo: The Master Chief Collection information, the Halo 5: Guardians beta information, and finally Halo 5 and Halo Nightfall speculation.

Link to Ian's RTX writeup

Reposting if someone did not get the chance to see this yesterday.

The audio is 10 time better then the first episode and I had a lot of good laughs during the podcast. This is a great refresher of what has happen in these last few months. Great job guys! Keep up the work.

Also, if you need someone for a segment about forge or customs I am more willing to help out :). You can also get some of the top forgers here on HaloGAF to put there input as well.

gAg CruSh3r

Here's the real question, Mr One... The hell you doing watching the fault of our stars?!

Because he can!?

I know you cried everytim

I will admit I did cry.

Mostly my sis and niece wanted to see it, and I had nothing to do for a while so I stuck around and watched too. My quota for being a decent brother this month needed to be filled anyway.

Your a great brother. I watched it with my wife.

I want to see that movie actually. Shailene Woodly is the wind beneath my wings.

Oh Tashi :)... It's a great movie by the way.

Booties

Banned
Because he can!?

I will admit I did cry.

Your a great brother. I watched it with my wife.

Oh Tashi :)... It's a great movie by the way.

I had to google this to know what you guys were talking about. My gf is a 7th+ grade english teacher and I think I've seen the book lying around in the house. After reading the first 2 paragraphs of the synopsis I don't think I'll be reading/watching this sad ass book/movie.

Tawpgun

I'm not an especially huge fan of the current-era Mk. VI, but it's not horrible either.

The helmet looks cool, and the actual armor pieces themselves look pretty decent. What I don't like though is how prominent the body-glove is. It just stands out too much, and makes the actual armor look like they just pasted it over the body-glove.

This is especially prevalent when doing the armor customization in Halo 4.

2343710-f6p8e.png

If you recall, in early Halo 4 development the body glove was just straight black. It made the Halo 4 spartan armor look super weird and puny. Like a MJOLNIR space bra. So what did they do?

They literally painted parts of the body glove the armor color so it looks at first glance to be armor. Standard issue kevlar protects more than what Halo 4 spartan chest pieces get.

I get they're trying to be practical or some shit but how practical is that?

If you recall, in early Halo 4 development the body glove was just straight black. It made the Halo 4 spartan armor look super weird and puny. Like a MJOLNIR space bra. So what did they do?

They literally painted parts of the body glove the armor color so it looks at first glance to be armor. Standard issue kevlar protects more than what Halo 4 spartan chest pieces get.

I get they're trying to be practical or some shit but how practical is that?

In all fairness, the body glove is significantly tougher than modern Kevlar, IIRC. Between that and the shields, it makes sense to maximize flexibility. Can't say I'm fond of how it looks, (much prefer the full-black bodyglove) but it works from a practicality standpoint.

aj1467

In all fairness, the body glove is significantly tougher than modern Kevlar, IIRC. Between that and the shields, it makes sense to maximize flexibility. Can't say I'm fond of how it looks, (much prefer the full-black bodyglove) but it works from a practicality standpoint.
I think it's supposed to be made from titanium, like the armour plating.

wwm0nkey

Another way to tell this story is by having flash backs to these events in the game to explain to the player why
John's visor is cracked
and why
the Didact is missing an eye

These events NEED to make it into either a CGI format or in-game flash backs / forced Terminals that are not hidden away somewhere online on a stupid to navigate site.

Another way to tell this story is by having flash backs to these events in the game to explain to the player why
John's visor is cracked
and why
the Didact is missing an eye

These events NEED to make it into either a CGI format or in-game flash backs / forced Terminals that are not hidden away somewhere online on a stupid to navigate site.

I kind of doubt that the events of the comic are going to matter, honestly. Blue Team is probably going to kill the Didact in the next, issue, so that's going to be neatly wrapped up. They may just never bother to explain why Chief's visor is cracked; I doubt it'll be plot-relevant. I could see this being wholly self-contained.

So thats how chief got
his helmet cracked
for Halo 5?.

Also the new phoenix people werent used to be knights in this battle but saved to future use where they wered storage anyway
?.

What the fuck is going on in the Halo Universe? Why is stuff of this importance happening in comics? I used to care so much about all of this.
I just lost track.

What the fuck is going on in the Halo Universe? Why is stuff of this importance happening in comics? I used to care so much about all of this.
I just lost track.

People keep saying that, but I don't think it's going to be that important in the long run. Maybe Blue Team dies; that would suck for those of us who follow the EU, but nobody else would notice. The Didact, for all his personal power and lengthy history, is assumed dead by the general population. Killing him off in the comics wouldn't matter either. This entire thing could end up being totally self contained.

Mistel

Banned
People keep saying that, but I don't think it's going to be that important in the long run. Maybe Blue Team dies; that would suck for those of us who follow the EU, but nobody else would notice. The Didact, for all his personal power and lengthy history, is assumed dead by the general population. Killing him off in the comics wouldn't matter either. This entire thing could end up being totally self contained.
Wouldn't that defeat the point of setting him up as the villain in 4 if you kill him off in a comic and not mention it except in passing?

Wouldn't that defeat the point of setting him up as the villain in 4 if you kill him off in a comic and not mention it except in passing?

I'd argue that 4 doesn't necessarily set him up as any sort of long-term villain. From a games-only perspective, the Didact could just as easily have died when he fell into the Slipspace portal.
Chief personally knifing him a few days later wouldn't really change the outcome of him never showing up again.

If 4 did set up any new long-term threats, it'd be the possibility of a Forerunner resurgence in general, rather than something limited to the Didact.

Technically we killed him in halo 4. So there is that. I mean to those that don't read expanded universe stuff he IS dead.

This.

I kind of doubt that the events of the comic are going to matter, honestly. Blue Team is probably going to kill the Didact in the next, issue, so that's going to be neatly wrapped up. They may just never bother to explain why Chief's visor is cracked; I doubt it'll be plot-relevant. I could see this being wholly self-contained.
Is this supposed to be the same Didact from Halo 4? I understand that there are/were at least 2 in the lore...

edit: I guess it is. I just need to give up on the lore outside of the game. The only reason I bother at all it to keep up discussion in this thread.

Is this supposed to be the same Didact from Halo 4? I understand that there are/were at least 2 in the lore...

Same dude, yeah. According to the Forerunner trilogy, after setting off the Halo Array, the Iso-Didact and the rest of the surviving Forerunners sent themselves into exile, though I'm not 100% sure where.

Besides, only the original Didact had the whole Composer obsession.

Mistel

Banned
Technically we killed him in halo 4. So there is that. I mean to those that don't read expanded universe stuff he IS dead.
Technically he wasn't killed even in 4 itself he fell into the portal after being blown off the bridge with a QTE pulse grenade.
If 4 did set up any new long-term threats, it'd be the possibility of a Forerunner resurgence in general, rather than something limited to the Didact.
Other than possibly the librarian who else is left who is a forerunner?

Technically he wasn't killed even in 4 itself he fell into the portal after being blown off the bridge with a QTE pulse grenade.

Other than possibly the librarian who else is left who is a forerunner?

There's a few. The Iso-Didact, Chants-to-Green, and anyone else who was on the Ark when the Array was set off. Their armor can apparently keep them alive indefinitely, so they're presumably still out there somewhere.

Top Bottom