• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Omni

Looks alright. Can't get excited over that map though

It's been in like every Halo game since 2. Either in Forge or the H3 remake. Would have liked to see something different tbh

probably due to how the set up the images to wipe from old H2 to new.

edit: I would also be totally cool with Containment as the last big map. Never felt like I got to play that map enough.

Containment was one of Halo 2's most under appreciated maps. That being said I don't want it in H2A. I'm hoping for maximum variety in map design and visuals. I mean so far we have

Small:
Lockout; Forerunner (metal) with snow and mountainous skybox; asymmetrical
Sanctuary, Forerunner (stone) with green grass, lots of overgrowth and water along with a jungle-ish mountainous skybox; symmetrical

Medium small:
Ascension; Forerunner (metal) with lots of brown dirt, skybox has the map floating above the Halo giving a super unique view; asymmetrical

Medium large:
Zanzibar; Human power plant with some old stone work, ocean beach with lots of sand and palm trees; asymmetrical

Large
Coagulation; Brown dirt and rocks with green grass, we don't know much about the map visually other than it is keeping the same color pallet and that the bases may be UNSC now; symmetrical

I think having the other large map being another two base symmetrical map would be a mistake, not to mention that Containment crosses over with Lockout as a Forerunner snow map(assuming that they used the shiny Forerunner metal, other wise it would just cross over with the snow part of Lockout). I think it would be best for them to go with an asymmetrical map for the final large map and Terminal would be the best choice for that, both design wise and visual variety wise.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Terminal was also kind of poorly designed despite being a fan favorite

It was always begging to have it's little quirks fixed and refined

It's flow was unique especially for CTF... so hard to properly defend the flag due to so many potential attack vectors but also difficult to move the flag once it hits the open

Assault doesn't exist anymore.

They said all of Halo 2's gametypes would be in H2A.

EDIT: They even specified Assault
halo-rtx-2014-panel-screenshot-2014-07-05-10-45-30.png

Homeboyd

Lighting reminds me of solace which I wasn't a fan of. Kind of a washed out, brownish/orange/gold tint to everything. Probably looks better in game... there's just too many forerunner themed maps.

Lighting reminds me of solace which I wasn't a fan of. Kind of a washed out, brownish/gold tint to everything. Probably looks better in game... there's just too many forerunner themed maps.

Not to mention 343i's Forerunner style is kind of bad in my opinion. I don't like shiny metal with all the dark chamfers, indents, and lines. I preferred the old and textured gritty metal.

Hmm. Looking back at Halo 3's Forerunner architecture, it isn't too much different. There's something about it in 4 I dislike though...

Oh bomb my old friend how I've missed you, those stealth runs, those one hit beatdowns, that teamwork, the chance vehicle rush and the countdown exploding thing you do like no one else. Yep I'm too excited for this. Objective hype at maximum level!

Now if only there was a tourney with assault and radar on...

Rockyrock

Not to mention 343i's Forerunner style is kind of bad in my opinion. I don't like shiny metal with all the dark chamfers, indents, and lines. I preferred the old and textured gritty metal.

Hmm. Looking back at Halo 3's Forerunner architecture, it isn't too much different. There's something about it in 4 I dislike though...
agreed.

It just brings back memories of H4 *shutters*.

its whatever though, im not gonna complain about anything in H2A since we have classic untouched H2.

agreed.

It just brings back memories of H4 *shutters*.

its whatever though, im not gonna complain about anything in H2A since we have classic untouched H2.
That's just asinine. If you don't like something about the newer game, its your right as a consumer to complain about it. If no one spoke up then we wouldn't have balance patches and the like.

Rockyrock

That's just asinine. If you don't like something about the newer game, its your right as a consumer to complain about it. If no one spoke up then we wouldn't have balance patches and the like.
Its not really the look of the map that bothers me, just that this particular aesthetic has a negative effect on gameplay because all the crevices ruin grenade gameplay.

But, I wont be playing H2A maps so it personally doesn't effect me. MCC has more than enough content that im already satisfied with.

Tawpgun

Looks like Lockout has an interactive element to help face off against entrenched enemies.

I'm actually very curious how this will affect lockouts dynamic of Sniper Tower vs BR tower.

Wat.
Look absolutely nothing like

A pretty good direct example of how the Forerunner stuff is completely different between 3 and 4 is Valhalla

Photos of halo 3 Valhalla still gives me monster erections.

I always thought it was the worst looking Halo 3 map graphically. I always wondered why it wasn't on the same visual level as the rest of Halo 3's maps.
At least it was super fun.

Also hilariously enough I think Ragnarok is easily the worst looking Halo 4 map.

Sordid

I don't like the Halo 4 'look' and I'm pretty disappointed H2A looks so similar. I know on a techical level Halo 4 is the best looking Halo so far but I still think Halo 3 looks better overall.

Despite the higher res/extra details everything looks so soft and bland compared to Halo 3.

I hate the Halo 4 'look' and I'm pretty disappointed H2A looks so similar. I know on a techical level Halo 4 is the best looking Halo so far but I still think Halo 3 looks better.

Despite the higher res/extra details everything looks so soft and bland compared to Halo 3.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Halo 4 Forerunner stuff, but I think H2A's slight alteration looks a good bit better. The Forerunner geometry is a lot more simple, in a good way. I just wish they would tone the reflectiveness down, scuff it up and add a few more colors like gold.

antigoon

Agreed, again, about the Halo 4 forerunner art style. Don't like it at all. Much prefer the weathered stone look.

Those Lockout screens look so sick. Probably in my top 3 Halo maps of all time - I'm glad we're getting a proper remake this time. Blackout was...not fun.

Karl2177

I'm halogaf's top-tier lore whore, but I have to imagine Halo 4's finale was pretty easily interpreted as "never found a body," bare minimum. In most CoD campaigns you usually knife / nuke / whatever the resident bad guy so I'm sure it raised a few eyebrows - that, and the Didact's ending narration.

"Any man who must say 'I am the king' is no true king."

dwells

Still looks blurry, hope that's Gamespot's fault.

I don't think it's Gamespot's fault - notice that the 343i watermark is crisp.

I've seen this same softness in the gameplay videos and the other screenshots, although admittedly these screenshots it's a good deal more noticeable. It would seem that they're using an overly-aggressive post-process anti-aliasing solution and it's blurring the whole image.

I'm guessing it's the same AA as Halo 4, so most likely FXAA. Halo 4's FXAA, however, was less aggressive and allowed some jaggies here and there. I'm hoping they just don't have it configured properly in this build and release will look sharper. It's too bad they didn't go with SMAA. Infamous, for example, shows just how incredible a proper SMAA T2x implementation can look - game looks damn near supersampled.

Of course, all this is assuming the multiplayer is actually running at 1080p natively. I tried to check in the past, but the softness in the images has been too much to get an accurate pixel count.

Booties

Banned
I always thought it was the worst looking Halo 3 map graphically. I always wondered why it wasn't on the same visual level as the rest of Halo 3's maps.
At least it was super fun.

Also hilariously enough I think Ragnarok is easily the worst looking Halo 4 map.

I meant from a gameplay perspective. I dont' care what the maps look like as long as it's not filled with shiny surfaces, sun flares, and choppy/unlevel floors

Wat.

Look absolutely nothing like

A pretty good direct example of how the Forerunner stuff is completely different between 3 and 4 is Valhalla

Halo 3's forerunners looks more organic to the enviroment and you feel you are in an ancient place unlike Halo 4 that looks like the structures are new to the enviroment by looking at its pristine condition.

I don't think it's Gamespot's fault - notice that the 343i watermark is crisp.

I've seen this same softness in the gameplay videos and the other screenshots, although admittedly these screenshots it's a good deal more noticeable. It would seem that they're using an overly-aggressive post-process anti-aliasing solution and it's blurring the whole image.

I'm guessing it's the same AA as Halo 4, so most likely FXAA. Halo 4's FXAA, however, was less aggressive and allowed some jaggies here and there. I'm hoping they just don't have it configured properly in this build and release will look sharper. It's too bad they didn't go with SMAA. Infamous, for example, shows just how incredible a proper SMAA T2x implementation can look - game looks damn near supersampled.

Of course, all this is assuming the multiplayer is actually running at 1080p natively. I tried to check in the past, but the softness in the images has been too much to get an accurate pixel count.
The screenshots and videos released at Gamescom look WAY cleaner than these Lockout shots.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lockout looks good. ExWife montage was hilarious. 343 Forerunner architecture could use some retinkering.

/2cents

Top Bottom