• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I like about Destiny's PvP maps is how many moving elements there are. The spinning arms in the center of Anomaly, the rotating doors on that Mercury map, the opening doors on Firebase Delphi (though they move pretty damn slow). I'd like to see stuff like that thrown into Halo maps every so often.

I'm good with Lockout being remade (MLG CTF 5 awwww yeeee), but I'm not feeling the color scheme either. Everything blends into itself and the base colors don't seem particularly prominent which is a problem given the symmetry.

Hit markers and grenade indicators continue to make me sad, as does the addition of mancannons to Coag. If we could just go back to pretending they don't exist and return to using teleporters, that would be great.

Yup. I hear ya completely...especially on grenade indicators and hit markers. Seriously...why are they doing this? Why.

WHY?!

Who was playing Lockout and was like "man, this needs stalactites"

Qd0a4QH.gif

Who was playing Lockout and was like "man, this needs stalactites"
Maybe in retrospect, it'll turn out that hey, they really do make the map better. Too soon to call it, ATM.
One thing I like about Destiny's PvP maps is how many moving elements there are. The spinning arms in the center of Anomaly, the rotating doors on that Mercury map, the opening doors on Firebase Delphi (though they move pretty damn slow). I'd like to see stuff like that thrown into Halo maps every so often.
While I like the moving arms on Anomaly and (to a lesser extent) the rotating doors on Mercury, any sort of auto-opening door is just... no.

Playing Lockout with and against competent people can actually be pretty dull IMO

Yeah, especially when you're with Matt and Mark and they're doing all these crazy callouts doing jumps from one end of the map to the other each getting 15 or 20 kills and I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off and end up going 2-0, only seeing like five people total.

That's a normal experience, right?

Adding anything must be so hard for a developer. It's always a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

However, adding 3 large stalactites that respawn rather quickly seems like a derpy childhood day dream inspiration. People will spawn and they will get hit by it. Not to mention there are hitmarkers for them as well as grenade hitmarkers.

Does anyone think it's a truly great idea for competitive play? Anyone?

Trey

lol

Remember the meltdown about the mech being built in the middle of one of Halo 4's maps? "It's not practical - it's distracting."

Tawpgun

Really no idea why people are freaking out about the changes to the anniversary maps.

You all realize the OG versions of the maps are all on the disc right?

I'd rather get maps with new gameplay dynamics to add something new to the package. Not just a prettied up version of what I played a few years ago.

And I'm a big Halo purist. These maps just add something new. Otherwise they'd be redundant to the OG map thats on the disc.

also im holding out that there is a secret entrance in the coag caves that leads to the entire map of waterworks.

How do you add stalactite functionality into lockout but not use that to put on waterworks maaaaan

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Adding anything must be so hard for a developer. It's always a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

However, adding 3 large stalactites that respawn rather quickly seems like a derpy childhood day dream inspiration. People will spawn and they will get hit by it. Not to mention there are hitmarkers for them as well as grenade hitmarkers.

Why would competitive players who DON'T like the stalactites choose to play with them on, when they could simply select "Lockout Anniversary" with indestructible center glass and no stalactites? (in matchmaking and especially in customs" Or is this a case of "they shouldn't enjoy things I don't enjoy?"

Why would competitive players who DON'T like the stalactites choose to play with them on, when they could simply select "Lockout Anniversary" with indestructible center glass and no stalactites? (in matchmaking and especially in customs" Or is this a case of "they shouldn't enjoy things I don't enjoy?"

Does the destructible center glass plate on Lockout Anniversary have a health value equivalent to a Mantis? Just curious.

Trey

You guys did it right. Keep original options for the purists, iterate for those that want something fresh.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Remember the meltdown about the mech being built in the middle of one of Halo 4's maps? "It's not practical - it's distracting."
I sorta sympathized with that at the time, but it ended up being totally overblown (SHOCKING).

Just watched the video, that middle room could a big change to the flow of the map, woah.

Can't wait to play some 2v2 / 3v3 on it.
*long sigh*

November needs to hurry.

Our beloved Stinkles said that grenade induced screen shake has been drastically toned down due to player feedback.

Did they ignore the mob of requests to remove hitmarkers...specifically grenade hitmarkers and indicators? 343 keeps acting like they are being transparent about what they add to the gameplay, assuring us it's for the best.

However no matter where you post...twitter, HaloWaypoint (they seem to avoid their official community site I might add...), NeoGaf...these concerns never seem addressed. Perhaps I'm over reacting, but it's rather tiring.

My main thing is...why only do six of em. Like, either go all the way with this new Halo 2 thing or just ship the maps as they are. Don't do this half-ass thing where you end up with 2 big maps for your H2A BTB hopper.

Every time somebody ask about MCC, you're gonna have to explain "oh no, they didn't remake all the maps, just six of them because reasons. No, the original maps are there, too. No, I don't think they're gonna be in the same playlists together, that would be dumb. Yeaaaah IDK, they just kinda added shit to add shit, waterfalls because fuck sightlines, ya know? Whatever"

Fracas

#fuckonami

So there is a way to disable the new stuff while still being able to play the remade maps?

I didn't know.

What? You're kidding, right? RiGHT?!

Honestly what I think is this game was helped and inspired by fellow pros who demoed how well the new maps play with the all the dynamics and yet nothing seemed broken about it.

*bows my head and sits down*

I got shot down.

Thanks for the reply man. Didn't know it was even an option in matchmaking. I guess a lot of our shared grief over new features are due to us not knowing what's available matchmaking or not...so I'll pipe down about it.

Constant negativity from us is probably very tiring, but I assure you...this is the only game I'm gleefully looking forward to.

Omni

When you guys talk of removing hitmarkers, you're specifically talking the grenade ones right?

I don't see the problem with normal ones. Unless I'm missing something?

Stinkles

So there is a way to disable the new stuff while still being able to play the remade maps?

I didn't know.

They all have a "classic" mode that's typically called "ORIGINAL MAP NAME + ANNIVERSARY"

So your UI flow would go:

Select MP/Select Custom Game/Select Halo 2/Select H2 Anniversary/Select Lockdown/Select "Lockout Anniversary"

*bows my head and sits down*

I got shot down.

Thanks for the reply man. Didn't know it was even an option in matchmaking. I guess a lot of our shared grief over new features are due to us not knowing what's available matchmaking or not...so I'll pipe down about it.

Constant negativity from us is probably very tiring, but I assure you...this is the only game I'm gleefully looking forward to.

There's just a MASSIVE footprint of content, so "we" know we've mentioned most of this, but in literally hundreds of interviews spread across months. Not surprising stuff is "missing"

So, I may get flak for this, but I haven't really been a fan of any of the remastered maps. The art style is kinda funny, the the color pallet has been super limited and fairly dull.

I mean, compare this:

To it's art

It, just lacks the contrast, and the vibrancy of the red hues. I dunno, it just feels like everything has last generations 'next gen filter' applied.. almost like earlier unreal engine games. I can live with it I suppose, but I really hope Halo 5 has more inspired in-game art.

Stalactites on Lockout are so much fun.

I disagree from my experience with them.

----------

I think interactive elements that change routes or sightlines can be interesting additions to maps, ones that directly damage and kill players on the other hand I'm not a fan of.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Our beloved Stinkles said that grenade induced screen shake has been drastically toned down due to player feedback.

Did they ignore the mob of requests to remove hitmarkers...specifically grenade hitmarkers and indicators? 343 keeps acting like they are being transparent about what they add to the gameplay, assuring us it's for the best.

However no matter where you post...twitter, HaloWaypoint (they seem to avoid their official community site I might add...), NeoGaf...these concerns never seem addressed. Perhaps I'm over reacting, but it's rather tiring.
If you took that tone with me on social media I'd go Hideki Kamiya on you. You think it's tiring, but imagine being a developer and having fans bugging you about thousands of minute details over multiple social media outlets every single day. And really, use your imagination and reasoning skills a little bit and you can come up with the likely responses yourself. What do grenade indicators and hit markers do? What are they for?

Watching the Warlord walkthrough and I love how angular and not-quite-Halo-4-runner aesthetic the Sentinel Beam is. The overheat meter on the actual gun / power coil is great, too.

I'm not sure how it's rigged into the system because of the way that hybrid engine works, but it has a "health value" of three plasma grenades and an SMG clip.

That sounds about right. It just stuck out to me because the Mantis goes down in roughly 3 plasmas and a clip from your utility automatic of choice - or in an even 3 plasmas, with the right loadouts. It seems like a decent unit of measurement for destructible buildings, health-wise.

If you took that tone on social media with me I'd go Hideki Kamiya on you. You think it's tiring, but imagine being a developer and having fans bugging you about thousands of minute details over multiple social media outlets every single day. And really, use your imagination and reasoning skills a little bit and you can come up with the likely responses yourself. What do grenade indicators and hit markers do? What are they for?

Yeah I can totally empathize with that. I just think it's odd that I have to go to NeoGaf to get developer interaction (not that we are entitled to it). There was a large poll about hitmarkers/indicators in their official forum and it seems to be swept under the rug.

Like Frank just said...and it's totally reasonable...there is so much content and so many questions and interviews and informational tidbits floating around it's hard to address all concerns. Bring back weekly updates like the good ol' days maybe? ;)

Btw, it's not the question of what they do and what they are for...it's why it's being added in the first place. We understand fully the implications it can have on gameplay and that's why so many people are griping about it.

I'm sure Stinkles will say something to make me feel like a fool about it eventually. I imagine that they might be a removable feature...who knows. I need to be more patient.

Stinkles

Watching the Warlord walkthrough and I love how angular and not-quite-Halo-4-runner aesthetic the Sentinel Beam is. The overheat meter on the actual gun / power coil is great, too.

That sounds about right. It just stuck out to me because the Mantis goes down in roughly 3 plasmas and a clip from your utility automatic of choice - or in an even 3 plasmas, with the right loadouts. It seems like a decent unit of measurement for destructible buildings, health-wise.

26 melees!

Tawpgun

26 melees!

Probably not finalized yet but will you guys be talking about the structure of the playlists and playlist management for the game before it comes out?

That's literally my one and only worry about MCC. All those modes across all those maps across 4/5 different engines... Seems like a nightmare to choose what players get access to in matchmaking. Especially if they get a map/engine/gametype combination they don't like.

It's pretty telling from a tech standpoint that the UNSC's top-of-the-line, energy-shielded military walker has durability comparable to a window by Forerunner standards.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bloodline presentation on next Friday, so said Ryan from IGN in the Gaming side thread.

man another month to wait

OH and
Coming up this week just to manage everyone's expectations:

Tomorrow: Full game preview after we poked around the whole damn thing
Wednesday: Halo Channel video walkthrough
Thursday: Revealing the Day 1 multiplayer hopper playlists
Friday: Revealing all 4000 Achievement points

Way, way more all month long. W00t!

Niiiiiice

matthieuC

Yup. I hear ya completely...especially on grenade indicators and hit markers. Seriously...why are they doing this? Why.

WHY?!

Okay, we get it.

But are grenade indicators really that detrimental to competitive gameplay? I feel like that is such a small thing to complain about.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodline presentation on next Friday, so said Ryan from IGN in the Gaming side thread.

man another month to wait

OH and

Niiiiiice
Fuck yeah, I'm excited as hell now. Playlist info will be especially awesome.

I can take or leave grenade indicators in an environment with such middle-of-the-road grenades that they're easy to keep tabs on - Halo 2's frags and plasmas only, that is - but I'm not seeing the logic behind removing hitmarkers.

Top Bottom