• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Here's my quick and sloppy fix. Before/after.

halo-master-chief-collection-coagulation.jpg

jJDYdbD.jpg

Makes a huge difference IMO.

Woorloog

Banned
That damn "haze" seems rather common nowadays.
Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skyrim certainly have something like it. Battlefield 3 looks like it has something like it. Pretty sure i've seen it elsewhere too.

Madness

These are just a few maps. I didn't add Wreckage, Adrift, Solace, Outcast etc. There is this tint type filter or lighting that just washes over the map in a singular color and there is very little to no other color in a sense.

Welfare

quick and bad photo edit. edit on the left, original on right

if the juicy filter is still in there, might be able to get a result close to that

edit: original on left in this one

dOyoqy9.jpg

God damn those look much better.

Juicy filter on by default on all my forge maps.

Tawpgun

I think I'm just gonna avoid ever playing H2A maps with their change for the sake of change oddities and H4 engine quirks and lack of blue skies

So you guys would rather have, in addition to halo 2 warlock, lockout, Zanzibar, etc.... An anniversary version of those that's exactly the same but looks prettier?

Zzzzzzzz

Just treat them as brand new maps. The originals are still there brehs

Fracas

#fuckonami
So you guys would rather have, in addition to halo 2 warlock, lockout, Zanzibar, etc.... An anniversary version of those that's exactly the same but looks prettier?

Zzzzzzzz

I like those maps for a reason!

Like I'm totally cool with new stuff, just put it in a different map. I'd much rather play a prettier Lockout in the way it was designed than prettier Lockout with a stalactite.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Like I'm totally cool with new stuff, just put it in a different map. I'd much rather play a prettier Lockout in the way it was designed than prettier Lockout with a stalactite.
Thankfully you'll have that option. Whether or not that version will be in matchmaking remains to be seen (on Thursday?).

Uh, there are "Classic" versions of all the H2A maps if I'm not mistaken. I think the gameplay differences with H2A are going to be much more dramatic than the differences in map layout anyway.

I played Lockout and thought that the maybe needed ways for players to more effectively dislodge people from BR and sniper tower.
they could learn to strategize.

Zzzzzzzz

tawp, that argument is weak, just because the originals are there; people should just accept whatever changes the MP team decides to make?

Tawpgun

But that's be so redundaaaaannt

I'd rather have new maps too, but in the spirit of h2a some old maps reimagined with new twists is awesome. The old ones are still there if you wanna play, so I don't see the point of complaining about additions in the new ones. Keeps it fresh. Could even play better for some of them. Kinda like how mlg versions of maps played better.

And @ragnarok... Umm yes? Don't see how h2a additions are supposed to impede anyone's fun in wanting to play halo 2 gameplay on the maps they remember in 60 fps. If you want them to just look prettier than I gotta say that's just superficial.

Madness

Is it just me or are the grenades stronger with their shake increased compared to the Zanzibar gameplay? During the Zanzibar footage, it seemed as if the shake was all but eliminated, even with nades at your feet. During this Warlock footage, while definitely nowhere near how it was during the Sanctuary or Lockout reveals, it's a bit more pronounced again with a slight shake? Or am I mistaken?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or are the grenades stronger with their shake increased compared to the Zanzibar gameplay? During the Zanzibar footage, it seemed as if the shake was all but eliminated, even with nades at your feet. During this Warlock footage, while definitely nowhere near how it was during the Sanctuary or Lockout reveals, it's a bit more pronounced again with a slight shake? Or am I mistaken?
What Zanzibar gameplay are you talking about? I think I missed that.

I wonder if the mostly monotone looking maps is a limitation of the engine, or an artistic choice. While I almost think it's an artistic choice, the concept art vs final makes me question that.. the concepts have such a larger range, as well as more variety in decals, such as the graffiti on Zanzibar/Stone Town.

-Ryn

Banned
Bloodline looks more like a scab.
The actual design is pretty cool though. The weird Eye of Sauron thing is weird though and the mans cannons are... ehhhhhhh.

Here's my quick and sloppy fix. Before/after.

halo-master-chief-collection-coagulation.jpg

jJDYdbD.jpg

Makes a huge difference IMO.
Glorious... just utterly beautiful...
#Hiredemon

sdzsmd.png

grvzxm.gif

Yeah, sky needs to be blue in my opinion.
Nice edit. It definitely needs som blue in there.
I despise being drowned in this muddy "gritty" aesthetic. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COLOR?

Fuck all of you with your color hate.

New maps are erection worthy.
Love most of them. This is just terribly lame though compared to the concept art bro.

Not every map needs to be sunny, bright, and happy. The lighting should reflect the mood of the map. I'm willing to hold off judgment of Bloodline until I see more. The rest look spectacular.

BTW, new medal found the gameplay: "I see you" for killing an invisible enemy.
In case you didn't notice, most of the maps AREN'T. Which is why it'd have been nice for this one to not have a gritty shit filter.

So I was confused by the cover on the red cliff that made me think it was the caves and they flipped the bases, but it looks like the just added an arch and some cover over red cliff.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
When has something ever looked exactly like concept art?

I mean, it'd be nice if you could just take a piece of concept art and magically make it turn into a full fledged 3D world, but the real world doesn't work like that.

I think the new maps are just god damn awesome. Players will stand out great since they will contrast against the backgrounds.

Bloodline is pretty ugly, it completely ruins the aesthetic of the original map. I was hoping we'd get a remake with the right color pallet after Hemorrhage, but instead they made an uglier map :/

Also the final map being Warlock is super disappointing, that map can be remade perfectly in Forge and this means every single map in H2A is a remake of something that was already remade or was a remake its self, no love given to any Halo 2 only maps. Also that means we have 4 small maps and Forge for small scale games and only Coag and Zanzibar for big games, that's pretty bad balance if you ask me and it isn't going to get any better because of the lack of DLC.

Omni

When has something ever looked exactly like concept art?

I mean, it'd be nice if you could just take a piece of concept art and magically make it turn into a full fledged 3D world, but the real world doesn't work like that.
Yeah, because it isn't possible to take the colour scheme from concept art and apply it to a 3D space.

The aesthetics of Bloodline are so ugly and depressing I don't even want to play it, hell I don't even want an RvB video on the map anymore, it doesn't even look like Coag.

Fuchsdh

You people are all going overboard on the color adjustments. You don't need to touch saturation levels. All you need to do is a white balance adjustment to shift everything to remove the color cast.
On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

As for color casts, at least 343 changes it up. Halo Reach is tinged a sickly blue-green for essentially every campaign mission.

Blueblur1

Just gotta say, for the second time today because I feel that its warranted, that Bloodline looks like ass. Who is the art lead that's letting those poor artists churn that stuff out. 343/CA could do better.

Omni

^^

That's nice. Needs more grass on the ground texture, IMO, but even the colour shift is better than what it is now

FyreWulff

You people are all going overboard on the color adjustments. You don't need to touch saturation levels. All you need to do is a white balance adjustment to shift everything to remove the color cast.
On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

As for color casts, at least 343 changes it up. Halo Reach is tinged a sickly blue-green for essentially every campaign mission.

i have no idea what i'm doing, i just load up paint.net and click buttons a lot

On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

This looks a lot better, but is still really ugly. The map needs the original color pallet, it needs grass.

HTupolev

I agree that most of the color adjustments that have been posted look sort of garish...

Your image corrects much of the hazy vibe, but I disagree about saturation. It's still screaming for stronger chroma. (And cleaner geometry, but that's another issue.)

Whatever Reach does, it doesn't have the same sort of annoying haziness as Halo 4.

(Even though it does have quite a bit of fog.)

On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

Dude. Do the same thing to Lockdown (Lockout remake). The difference is astounding on that one too.

Check this GIF out:
ad8D9SA.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ad8D9SA.gif

TotalBiscuit has pointed out this trend in gaming as well. A lot of new games are always being saturated with strange filters and overall blurriness. That's why a lot of people use SweetFX on their computer games.

Top Bottom