• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Cow

Dude. Do the same thing to Lockdown (Lockout remake). The difference is astounding on that one too.

Check this GIF out:
http://i.imgur.com/ad8D9SA.gif

TotalBiscuit has pointed out this trend in gaming as well. A lot of new games are always being saturated with strange filters and overall blurriness. That's why a lot of people use SweetFX on their computer games.

Lockout just looks so much better blue... why is this happening.

You people are all going overboard on the color adjustments. You don't need to touch saturation levels. All you need to do is a white balance adjustment to shift everything to remove the color cast.
On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

As for color casts, at least 343 changes it up. Halo Reach is tinged a sickly blue-green for essentially every campaign mission.

I dunno, I think it needs a wider range of color still. Anyways, I didn't mess with the saturation much at all, but rather went in and identified certain color hues and shifted them.

Sephzilla

Part of me is really glad to see the seemingly universal dislike for Bloodline (and almost the same level of dislike for new Lockout). I'd really like to see these maps get a last second lighting and color change.

Edit - i'm wondering if the topic of H2A's map colors/lighting and the assembly of gifs/images in this thread is worth its own thread ?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wish that Warlord game was from my perspective. I'm pretty sure I dropped close to 60 kills that match.
kreygasm.png

lol that gif was created the day lockout was revealed, they're not changing it.

Funny thing is, I haven't seen a single person who has said "I much prefer the original look" when faced with those color correcting GIF's.

(now someone is going to just try to prove me wrong, but w/e)

Madness

You people are all going overboard on the color adjustments. You don't need to touch saturation levels. All you need to do is a white balance adjustment to shift everything to remove the color cast.
On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

As for color casts, at least 343 changes it up. Halo Reach is tinged a sickly blue-green for essentially every campaign mission.

Wow, that looks so much better. Why do they even add this to the maps? I see it in a lot of games now.

I wish that Warlord game was from my perspective. I'm pretty sure I dropped close to 60 kills that match.
kreygasm.png

How do you stack up against guys like Bravo, Quinn, Neighbor, Ghost in the office?

On8qqP9.jpg

WMnO4Wp.png

Holy shit. Fix it 343. Than ship it.

Blueblur1

kreygasm.png

You might not be able to answer this but was that from an older build?

All of the models look rough. And the BR reload sound effects don't seem to line-up with the visuals. Also, hoping the first person models get touched up. Everything from the Spartan hands to the BR aren't on par with Halo 4 visuals.

RowdyReverb

Just to play devil's advocate here- maybe they wanted the remakes to have a different look and feel than the originals since the originals are on the same disc. The hardcore fans who want the updated maps to change less are going to buy the game anyway to play the classics online, and they are hard to appease anyway. Why not try and do something new and fresh then instead to sell people on the game who aren't sure they want to buy a collection of games they've already played?

That said, I do wish the updated maps had a bit more variety in palate. While the dark, drab palates will improve player visibility, I feel that it stifles the great variability in the maps' settings.

Funny thing is, I haven't seen a single person who has said "I much prefer the original look" when faced with those color correcting GIF's.

(now someone is going to just try to prove me wrong, but w/e)

I prefer the original look in some of those color correcting gifs. Like, there were a few that skewed Lockout really hard to blue. Way, way too blue.

Fuchsdh

I prefer the original look in some of those color correcting gifs. Like, there were a few that skewed Lockout really hard to blue. Way, way too blue.

I think that's why I prefer Lockout the way it is--it's so easy to just say "this is a cold level, right, crank the blue!" when in reality that's not any better, it's just fitting into what Hollywood movies tell us is what "cold looks like".

We just need to take 343's art, Saber's art from CEA, and average them out to a happy vibrance without being eyeball melting.

I just wish they stayed closer to the concepts of the maps:

While I realize games change from concept to the final build, the art has a way wider range of colors and distinct visual traits. The art looks 'next gen', the game looks like a slightly beefed up 'last gen' engine.

Well, concept art never usually looks like the final product. The art for the remastered maps though is really nice. The Coag one especially. Feels more like a western panorama.

I think that's why I prefer Lockout the way it is--it's so easy to just say "this is a cold level, right, crank the blue!" when in reality that's not any better, it's just fitting into what Hollywood movies tell us is what "cold looks like".

I dunno, I would say blue is a pretty common color in arctic environments.

0XywOOB.jpg

It' pretty common to see a range of blue and white, even when sunsets are present.

I made a few adjustments of my own to Shrine. I tried to keep the gist of the original look but get rid of some of that hazy/blurriness. I'm not great, but hope you can tell what I'm getting at. Mind the compression artifacts.

Quick Adjustment:
0TBufO5.gif

Now that we know the 6 remakes...relic, burial mounds, terminal, turf, colossus, containment, elongation, headlong, waterworks, district and uplift you'll be missed from H2A. Rest in OG Xbox pieces.

To be honest I would have preferred any one of the above over the last map reveal. Excited for Zani & coag remakes though.

Here's an idea: in similar vein to emblem contests in past titles, let players submit graffiti decals for a given window of time. Once all the results are in, get rid of all the dicks and then use the fanmade content to plaster graffiti all over an urban UNSC map.

Or maybe just a wall or two.

Cow

Now that we know the 6 remakes...relic, burial mounds, terminal, turf, colossus, containment, elongation, headlong, waterworks, district and uplift you'll be missed from H2A. Rest in OG Xbox pieces.

To be honest I would have preferred any one of the above over the last map reveal. Excited for Zani & coag remakes though.

Whilst I like them all and actually wanted Warlock, I feel like the map choices weren't great. They needed to go one way or the other. Either all skewed towards BTB or all towards 4v4. Didn't make much sense to have 4 small maps and 2 large. At the moment theres not much point in the two larger maps at all. If they wanted to focus on 4v4 for H2A maps then:

Lockout
Sanctuary
Midship
Warlock
Beaver Creek
Ivory Tower

BTB:

Coagulation
Zanzibar
Waterworks
Headlong
Containment
Terminal

Instead we're stuck almost half way. Admittedly its looking a lot better for the 4v4 crowd, surely theres going to be more remakes on the way.

Whilst I like them all and actually wanted Warlock, I feel like the map choices weren't great. They needed to go one way or the other. Either all skewed towards BTB or all towards 4 Didn't make much sense to have 4 small maps and 2 large. At the moment theres not much point in the two larger maps at all. If they wanted to focus on 4v4 for H2A maps then:

Lockout
Sanctuary
Midship
Warlock
Beaver Creek
Ivory Tower

BTB:

Coagulation
Zanzibar
Waterworks
Headlong
Containment
Terminal

Instead we're stuck almost half way. Admittedly its looking a lot better for the 4v4 crowd, surely theres going to be more remakes on the way.

Bonnie Ross said they aren't throwing out the idea of DLC. They have a butt load of content to boot, so 6 remade maps on a separate engine that are tweaked with care and love is pretty generous on top of 4 games and their original multiplayers, Halo Nightfall, and the Halo 5 beta.

Holy crap the MCC is a real thing.

FyreWulff

Someday we'll be able to Forge and make use of the train in custom maps on Terminal.

Someday.

Can't believe that map has almost been remade twice now and somehow keeps getting cut.

HTupolev

That's a really dumb thing to complain about.
I just don't understand why they bother with the feature if it's not convenient to use.

If you're going to take the time to implement map callouts, and dedicate screen space to it, shouldn't you also make it useful?

It's not a huge deal by any stretch (and I'm a bad casual who won't use this stuff well anyway), it just seems dumb.

Obviously it's far from the end of the world. However, built in map callouts are a cool feature, but without them being things that are easy to memorize and easy to say quickly, it's pretty useless.

Clear example: the color code callouts on warlord call the red section "crimson" and the blue section is called "azure". Green and Yellow have similar shade of their color names. No one is going to call out "crimson" or "azure" in-game over "red" and "blue".

Cow

Overgrown Temple is five syllables, the pro scene is going to collapse!

It's obviously not that big of a deal, he's just being critical. I think it's a good sign that we're criticising quite trivial things such as map colour, callouts and medals rather than actual properties of the gameplay.

Madness

Overgrown Temple is five syllables, the pro scene is going to collapse!

Do you just pop into the thread to invalidate others' complaints because you don't agree with them or what? The guy said it's not a really good calling because it's five syllables and goes against the reason it's there but you just come in and say, "so?", "that's a dumb thing to complain about", except his point is still valid.

Tawpgun

They should let call outs come naturally and put them in the game after or modify them. I bet they used wierd call outs for lockout when those are pretty well established

Do you just pop into the thread to invalidate others' complaints because you don't agree with them or what? The guy said it's not a really good calling because it's five syllables and goes against the reason it's there but you just come in and say, "so?", "that's a dumb thing to complain about", except his point is still valid.

+1

They should let call outs come naturally and put them in the game after or modify them. I bet they used wierd call outs for lockout when those are pretty well established

Elbow is now "Overarching Corrugation Alcove."

Bottom Shotty is "Pivotal Cryonic Phalanx."

etc.

I don't understand why something being five syllables invalidates it from being a good callout.

FyreWulff

1 shot on Coordinates and Duvets

I don't understand why something being five syllables invalidates it from being a good callout.

Callouts tend to be short so you can communicate them quickly and give information fast enough for people to react to it.

A callout longer than X weapon's kill time is not going be used, for example.

Top Bottom