• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I think the new guys should be glad Devo doesn't come around here often.

rsvey.gif

-Ryn

Banned
Emphasis on "Treacherous" how nice.

I think that's pretty evident since Osman ordered her pet Palmer to ice halsey.
The Janus Key holds the locations of all the Forerunner caches right?
That'll no doubt play into Chief's final evolution (I refuse to believe that immunity to the tang ray is all he needed to be complete).

Halo 5 speculation
Not sure how they are going to get Cortana back but having a "shadow" of her would be really interesting. I'm hoping that Chief actually develops as a character though and doesn't require Cortana to fill in as his humanity. I've got nothing on how Chief and Halsey meeting will go though. This portrayal of her being a traitorous villain or whatever is just dumb but it's there.

Madness

I would be down with a new Cortana but one who has no idea who Chief is, and has a different personality.

I don't know what 343 plans to do. So far, haven't been impressed with any Halo story since Halo 3 ended, and Reach was a prequel. Don't really like how characters like Halsey have been treated or how others characters are being essentially forced onto us.

-Ryn

Banned
I would be down with a new Cortana but one who has no idea who Chief is, and has a different personality.

I don't know what 343 plans to do. So far, haven't been impressed with any Halo story since Halo 3 ended, and Reach was a prequel. Don't really like how characters like Halsey have been treated or how others characters are being essentially forced onto us.
In the same boat there.

I think that's the way to go with the next AI that Chief has. It would be incredibly surreal and they could do so much with it. If Cortana were to later come into the picture that would make it all the more interesting. How they end up handling this is probably what I'm most interested in right now. Blue team is cool and I'd love to see that but really I just want to see what happens with Chief and how he will decide to handle things.

Madness

Huh, that's a pretty interesting idea.

Yeah because the Cortana we've known no longer exists. Even if these AI are clones of Halsey, it would make sense they'd really be a new person per se with their own thoughts. Imagine a Cortana who didn't see something in Chief (Noble Six before him), one who has no real connection to him. I think they could also show it impact Chief's character, who expects his longtime companion and friend, and instead gets back a stranger who doesn't really care for his recklessness or relying on "luck". Just a thought.

In the same boat there.

I think that's the way to go with the next AI that Chief has. It would be incredibly surreal and they could do so much with it. If Cortana were to later come into the picture that would make it all the more interesting. How they end up handling this is probably what I'm most interested in right now. Blue team is cool and I'd love to see that but really I just want to see what happens with Chief and how he will decide to handle things.

Yeah, we'll know soon enough as it is. Who knows where the story heads, I wouldn't have predicted any of this when Halo 3 ended. I'd imagined it all differently in my head, and thought Chief would be awoken like a century later, possibly outside the galaxy altogether, and that like ODST and Reach the focus would be on different characters until the day they wanted to utilize him again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Some choice quotes from the GamesTM guardians preview. Might be considered a spoiler for Halo 5 story.

"This isn't a Chief story," reads their preview of next year's Xbox One exclusive, "At least not centrally. Both Nightfall and Guardians will revolve around newcomer Jameson Locke - a surly UNSC-drafted soldier brought in to hunt Master Chief down after he goes rogue, following the events of Halo 4."

Chief is pursuing the traitorous Dr. Halsey - the woman responsible for creating the Spartans and Cortana - in the hopes that she can restore Cortana to her former working perameters."

This is not correct. We did not tell them this. And Locke is neither surly, nor drafted from the UNSC.

And that is not how one spells. "parameters."

Fuchsdh

That is also not how one punctuates. For shame, Stinkles.

You know, the GamesTM isolating Locke from the rest of the box art just makes the image look like a ripoff of the recent Battlefield covers with blue and then that red graphic firelike thing.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah because the Cortana we've known no longer exists. Even if these AI are clones of Halsey, it would make sense they'd really be a new person per se with their own thoughts. Imagine a Cortana who didn't see something in Chief (Noble Six before him), one who has no real connection to him. I think they could also show it impact Chief's character, who expects his longtime companion and friend, and instead gets back a stranger who doesn't really care for his recklessness or relying on "luck". Just a thought.
That was a key point of why Cortana was so distressed. If they replaced her it may be the same model but it wouldn't be her. That's why I am interested in the idea of her coming back and seeing actually meeting this replacement. However I also would love to see the replacement itself as its own character and not just a plot device.

In the end though I expect we will instead get Guilty Spark as our companion. Not that it couldn't also be interesting to see but introducing a new character holds more appeal to me.
They could always do both though. Seeing the dynamic between the 3 of them would be really cool. That is probably getting my hopes too high though.

Yeah, we'll know soon enough as it is. Who knows where the story heads, I wouldn't have predicted any of this when Halo 3 ended. I'd imagined it all differently in my head, and thought Chief would be awoken like a century later, possibly outside the galaxy altogether, and that like ODST and Reach the focus would be on different characters until the day they wanted to utilize him again.
I certainly never expected them to take the Forerunners in the direction they did. Or at least the Didact. The Greg Bear books were pretty decent and I actually still need to finish the third. I figured Chief's fight wasn't over yet but I also thought that it would be more like 10 or 15 years down the line that he was revived and we would be introduced to a new cast of people with some of the originals (I count the other Spartan II's as originals despite not being in the games yet). I think one of the worst parts of Halo 4 was how they handled Chief coming back and the way he was treated. He is a legendary hero that saved humanity virtually by himself. Yet his first greeting was, "I thought you'd be taller" (though that was probably more to do with who said it as opposed to the phrase itself that bugged me).

Despite my issues with 4 however I am really looking forward to seeing what 343 has in store. I'm sure they can do it this time around... yeah...

This is not correct. We did not tell them this. And Locke is neither surly, nor drafted from the UNSC.

Nice save

greenleafcm

Neo Member

Phew...I was seriously about to blow a gasket (and not in a good way) if this was an actual plot summary for the next game. Thank you; it's nice that someone from the dev team is keeping in touch with us fans so that misinformation like this doesn't completely get out of control.

To be honest I'm getting really tired of these hackneyed magazines publishing nothing but speculation (at least in regards to 'Halo 5''s plot), and trying to pass it off as fact just to sell a few extra issues.

Mr. O'Connor - not sure if you can answer this, but soon in the future will we get an official plot summary from you guys at 343i, so we can finally put the nonsense these non-affiliated people say to rest?

Fuchsdh

That was a key point of why Cortana was so distressed. If they replaced her it may be the same model but it wouldn't be her. That's why I am interested in the idea of her coming back and seeing actually meeting this replacement. However I also would love to see the replacement itself as its own character and not just a plot device.

In the end though I expect we will instead get Guilty Spark as our companion. Not that it couldn't also be interesting to see but introducing a new character holds more appeal to me.
They could always do both though. Seeing the dynamic between the 3 of them would be really cool. That is probably getting my hopes too high though.

The "model" thing in Halo 4 never really made sense to me. I mean, it makes sense to Cortana, because she's coming at it from a place of vulnerability... but AIs are unique due to the circumstances of their creation. I have to imagine that even if you flash-cloned Halsey's brain again and designed it to the same parameters as Cortana, you'd end up with an AI that would be demonstrably different, and not even in the same "me but not me" way Cortana talks about. After all, even the appearance of AIs is up to them; unless Halsey is just a closet nudist who would say "another Cortana" wouldn't emphasize some other aspect to "imprint" on, for lack of a better word?

Madness

Sorry Frank, had read it from a secondary site/source, which apparently had read the article from the magazine. I wonder if something was lost in translation from the other site as opposed to the article. Does anyone own a copy of the actual magazine to verify any of this?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/confirmed...able-character-jameson-084934270.html#ZPo0JJd

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/halo-5-gua...racter-jameson-locke-details-revealed-1469365

Stinkles

The "model" thing in Halo 4 never really made sense to me. I mean, it makes sense to Cortana, because she's coming at it from a place of vulnerability... but AIs are unique due to the circumstances of their creation. I have to imagine that even if you flash-cloned Halsey's brain again and designed it to the same parameters as Cortana, you'd end up with an AI that would be demonstrably different, and not even in the same "me but not me" way Cortana talks about. After all, even the appearance of AIs is up to them; unless Halsey is just a closet nudist who would say "another Cortana" wouldn't emphasize some other aspect to "imprint" on, for lack of a better word?

I agree to a point, however you could replicate a lot of conditions - including the simulation of nature AND nurture while building an AI. Roy Batty's implanted memories come to mind. So butterfly effect definitely insists you'd get a different result, but it could be, in theory, compellingly similar.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
One thing to note about the MCC, this game, at least for me, is the definitive console first person shooter. Ever since Halo CE came out back in 2001, Halo defined itself as being the best FPS to play on consoles. The only game to ever take Halo 2 over in player population was Call of Duty 4. Gears of War got close I believe, but it still didn't have enough power to beat Halo.

Halo has always been in my mind what defines the best console FPS. GoldenEye was the beginning with N64, but HCE just blew the doors off and offered two-analog stick controls, it was freaking amazing. Not only that, but the fact that you could have multiple TV screens playing against one another was huge.

Halo 2 blew the doors off Xbox Live multiplayer gaming. You no longer had to goto someone's house and haul your Xbox to set up a LAN, instead, fire up XBL and you could play Halo 2 against anyone virtually any time of day.

Halo is still the only console FPS that provides that arena-style multiplayer deatchmatch game where it's about controlling a map, power weapons, powerups, and good aim. No other console FPS has been able to re-produce this. Your CODs, Gears, BFs, etc, all lack any kind of substance.

I don't see anyone in the COD/BF community firing up the original game 10 years from now...yet here we have a legitimate audience that cannot wait to play Halo CE on Xbox Live, not to mention Halo 2 as well.

That's huge in my opinion and it says something about what good game design means to gamers.

After MCC releases, there isn't really a point to play any other console FPS. No COD sequel, no Battlefield sequel, no new Gears of War, nothing will provide the entertainment and FPS quality that Halo does. I think this is why you are starting to see the other console shooter franchises incorporate arena-style (Halo-style more like it) game play mechanics...they're trying to attract that crowd to their game. Might work with some people, but for me, I can see through the bs.

Stinkles

Mr. O'Connor - not sure if you can answer this, but soon in the future will we get an official plot summary from you guys at 343i, so we can finally put the nonsense these non-affiliated people say to rest?

There will be a basic one eventually, but I will comment less and less on plot speculation as it gets closer, simply because eventually people would detect a pattern in the denials and fill in some blanks.

-Ryn

Banned
I am now envisioning a hologram lady person completely layered in clothes...

Yeah now that you mention it though there really isn't a model for her to be based on. Kinda spaced on that part lol
I guess the mistake kinda works story wise since Cortana was going nuts and therefore not thinking straight... I mean the point she had about being replaced still stands, even if she was wrong by a technicality.

I forget if Cortana had an identity crisis earlier in the series though. I feel like she did. She had all those memories from Halsey and realized that despite having them, she wasn't Halsey at all. Same thing would go for any new AI based off Halsey's brain. I'd love to see what a new AI would do, if not just create a form entirely of its own that isn't based on any of Halsey's characteristics. Yeah... that'd be cool. Now I'm getting all these ideas flying around in my head.

I'm sure this has been touched on in the series but do AI technically have "genders"? I think there was an AI that chose to have no human form but rather a hexagon or something.

I agree to a point, however you could replicate a lot of conditions - including the simulation of nature AND nurture while building an AI. Roy Batty's implanted memories come to mind. So butterfly effect definitely insists you'd get a different result, but it could be, in theory, compellingly similar.
Or that

Halo 5 speculation
...This portrayal of her being a traitorous villain or whatever is just dumb but it's there.

Isn't it the fact that Halsey is pretty much a "I do what I want" kind of genius? So, basically she isn't following direct orders and therefore "traitorous?" Chief was talking about finding Halsey and restoring Cortana toward the end of Cortana's rampancy in Halo 4..so it doesn't appear that Chief thinks poorly of her.

IDK...I hope that the bookend cinematics for the MCC and the beginning one of Halo 5 fills in enough gaps so that I don't have to go rummaging through the crap on the internet to get answers.

Oh thank God dude. I read that and wasn't too pleased.

I'm reserving all talk and speculation henceforth until something come straight from your mouths. Journalism in the game industry nowadays seems to be nothing but diarrhea...no offense to anyone.

DJ Gunner

I'm sure someone has already brought it up and I missed it- but with the "Guardians" qualifier, and the focus on Locke, doesn't it seem likely that Halo 5 "Prime" is still on the horizon?

greenleafcm

Neo Member
There will be a basic one eventually, but I will comment less and less on plot speculation as it gets closer, simply because eventually people would detect a pattern in the denials and fill in some blanks.
Ok. Thank you for answering me. And I understand why you can't be super forthright with confirmations and denials - but at least then when we do get a real plot summary, will it clearly come from 343i directly?

Madness

Two things I've wanted to know for a while, don't know if this is even answerable, is the armor of Halo CE to Reach for Master Chief still considered canon? Is all Mark VI retroactively the Halo design as we saw in the Halsey cutscene which showed previous events or is only Master Chief with this new Mark VI , also, is the end scene of Reach still considered canon? I'm talking about the 30 years later thing with Halsey voiceover.

10 years huh?

I remember the week before release, being in college at the start of a politics class.

This one kid (who is hindsight looked like a human version of the troll dolls) was arguing that he thought Halo 2 wasn't going to be big.

We were at that point all playing R6 black arrow (I think) on the OG box, the sniper in that game made the auto aim sniper in H2 look like a skill based weapon.

Anyway, here he is saying that after two weeks it'll fizzle out, sweet justice was handed out when we found out he was skipping classes to play, yep, Halo 2 online.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
10 years huh?

I remember the week before release, being in college at the start of a politics class.

This one kid (who is hindsight looked like a human version of the troll dolls) was arguing that he thought Halo 2 wasn't going to be big.

We were at that point all playing R6 black arrow (I think) on the OG box, the sniper in that game made the auto aim sniper in H2 look like a skill based weapon.

Anyway, here he is saying that after two weeks it'll fizzle out, sweet justice was handed out when we found out he was skipping classes to play, yep, Halo 2 online.

LOL!!!

I remember the raging on the Bnet forums and with friends in college about matchmaking...everyone hated it, but it was because we were so used to counter-strike having server lists...matchmaking was a godsend.

Frank, what's the chances of some form of clan-match matchmaking making a comeback? God that was glorious.

tootsi666

After MCC releases, there isn't really a point to play any other console FPS. No COD sequel, no Battlefield sequel, no new Gears of War, nothing will provide the entertainment and FPS quality that Halo does.
Of course there still is a reason. Halo is fundamentaly different than other console shooters and that's why Halo doesn't make them pointless for many gamers.

-Ryn

Banned
Isn't it the fact that Halsey is pretty much a "I do what I want" kind of genius? So, basically she isn't following direct orders and therefore "traitorous?" Chief was talking about finding Halsey and restoring Cortana toward the end of Cortana's rampancy in Halo 4..so it doesn't appear that Chief thinks poorly of her.

IDK...I hope that the bookend cinematics for the MCC and the beginning one of Halo 5 fills in enough gaps so that I don't have to go rummaging through the crap on the internet to get answers.
Nah, she was labeled as "traitorous" because she has apparently sided with the Covenant faction from 4... as opposed to the alternative which was death if I recall (Palmer was sent on a mission to execute her) and being labeled as space Hitler because of her hand in creating the Spartan II's. I have no idea what Lasky or Thorn think of the label but I'd imagine they don't buy it. Palmer on the other hand...

It's been a while since I've gone through Spartan Ops so I should probably do it for some fact checking.

As far as I know Chief doesn't even know about the situation with Halsey so I doubt he think ill of her.

10 years huh?

Memories... how nice they are. Not that I would know anything about the Halo 2 release.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Of course there still is a reason. Halo is fundamentaly different than other console shooters and that's why Halo doesn't make them pointless for many gamers.

Eh, I disagree. COD is the same bs every year, that game is never going to change, I've moved on since COD2, it ain't ever going back to what it used to be. Battlefield is dead to me, the quality control on that game is non-existent. Gears of War is a dead franchise to me. Halo is pure, especially HCE and H2, can't deny the longevity those two games provide, and now that they're on Xbox One...we have a fall back plan incase Halo 5 sucks...there's always HCE and H2.

Those two games are basically what Counter-strike is to CS gamers. CS doesn't need a sequel, it just continues being great year after year.

Nah, she was labeled as "traitorous" because she has apparently sided with the Covenant faction from 4... as opposed to the alternative which was death if I recall (Palmer was sent on a mission to execute her) and being labeled as space Hitler because of her hand in creating the Spartan II's. I have no idea what Lasky or Thorn think of the label but I'd imagine they don't buy it. Palmer on the other hand...

It's been a while since I've gone through Spartan Ops so I should probably do it for some fact checking.

As far as I know Chief doesn't even know about the situation with Halsey so I doubt he think ill of her.

Thanks bud..that makes more sense. Hopefully the Halo Channel will be of some help when it comes to backstory and character development.

I heard Spartan Ops was pretty hit or miss in Halo 4...so I'm not sure if I want to play them or not.

Mix

Welp, I'm going to work for this first time since monday. Had a couple days off. I'm gonna miss the achievement reveal. :/ Oh well, y'all have fun with that guys.

All I know is I missed H2 (was getting married and banging out kids) so I am HYPE to experience getting owned by HaloGAF. My son who is now almost 10 (see?) at times scores better than me in H4. This is of course me watching his back and what not and not because I am old and I suck.

All I know is I missed H2 (was getting married and banging out kids) so I am HYPE to experience getting owned by HaloGAF. My son who is now almost 10 (see?) at times scores better than me in H4. This is of course me watching his back and what not and not because I am old and I suck.

That's great man. Playing games with my father is one of my favorite memories.

I didn't even have a computer yet, but I started paying for cox internet solely to play halo 2 online. Had it installed the week or two prior to Halo 2's release.

Top Bottom