• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

FyreWulff

I never played the Halo 3 Beta, is there is a list of differences anywhere?

After a quick search for the beta tripmine, I found this video and I thought it was pretty funny. link

Valhalla has the most interesting changes since there used to be big spawn cliffs next to each base. Snowbound and High Ground were 99.9% the same.

The tripmine was a nuke, and magnetized to vehicles.

The beta carbine had super low slow bloom curve and murdered people.

I seem to remember the Warthog was heavier, it was like trying to flip over a tank.

Not worth it, IMO. We're already getting like five variants of Halo multiplayer in this collection. I think it would be a bit silly to ask for more

Yeah this is totally a "just shooting the breeze" thing

Omni

Here's a random thought. How many people would like to have the Halo 3 Beta versions of Valhalla, Snowbound, and High Ground in the MCC?

This would also include the weapons. So Beta Carbine, Beta Tripmine, etc.

The issue with this is this more than likely requires porting the Halo 3 Beta itself for the engine hooks to accomodate what the map data is looking for. So you're porting Halo 3 twice (essentially) for 3 whole maps. A hard sell at any rate.

Not worth it, IMO. We're already getting like five variants of Halo multiplayer in this collection. I think it would be a bit silly to ask for more

I was thinking 343 should keep adding content to the H2A MP so the 'classic Halo' fans are pleased and do whatever they want with Halo 5 MP

Akai__

I just want the Rogue from Halo 3 back. My favorite helmet in all Halo games so far.

B-but, it will be included in the Halo 3 part, of the Master Chief collection.
IN 1080p/60FPS!

Halo 3 has really good helmets and very simple ones, too. I don't like 90% of Halo 4's helmets, because they just look ugly and too bulky, in my opinion.

I'm ok with acrobatic ninja spartans aslong as it doesn't get too ridiculous.

nannyoyou521b8c12e2537.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Spartans?

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
So what is all your opinions on the Halo 4 armor returning for Halo 5, from the looks of the Beta trailer.

I liked some of the designs. In fact, in principle, the designs were very good. As previously mentioned, though, the problem is their texture. They often look as though they are made from materials other than metal. So having a grittier look to them would work well, as long as they retain the colourful aspect as well. Finding that balance will be crucial.

The black under-armour in previous iterations looked, in my opinion, much better than the bubble-wrap undersuit in Halo 4, which doesn't seem to denote any sort of layered protection or strength for the user. Take a look at Palmer's under armour. In many scenes in Spartan Ops she look like she's weaing a small duvet underneath. It doesn't look as though the undersuit provides the strength for her to move the external plated armour sections around, or aid in simple things like walking.

Some armours looked better than previous iterations, others less so. EOD just didn't look right. It looked stretched in my opinion. HAZOP looks sad, Ranger looks like a top hat has been turned into a helmet, and the Prefect design looks cartoon-ish.

But all in all the majority of the designs were very good. Pathfinder looks very good and I prefer this version of the Scout design.

Vico

So will we get more gameplay hype of MCC before the game goes gold? (Which would be August or September?)

Of course we will. Like, at every convention and more. RTX, Comic Con, Gamescom, maybe PAX.

I'm sure we'll get glimpses of most Halo 2 campaign levels, as well as the reveal of the other five remastered maps.

Now, the real question is... Will we see Halo 5 before MCC's release?

aarcane

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Since last August. Not too much lurking before that.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
37, from sunny south London.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Been a fan since 2009, when I bought CE on the cheap. Played through CE, 3, 4 and Reach, plus the first few sections of 2 and ODST.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Co-op campaign, local multiplayer.

What is your favorite playlist?
Good old Team Slayer.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
I'm really bad at Halo. You know the bit in Natural Born Killers when Juliette Lewis shouts "Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD!" Like that, but worse. If I'm on the opposing team, you're guaranteed some easy kills. Good thing I enjoy the game, I suppose...

Project

Been a fan since 2009, when I bought CE on the cheap. Played through CE, 3, 4 and Reach, plus the first few sections of 2 and ODST.

You're in for a treat when you get to test drive Halo 2

jdouglas

So what is all your opinions on the Halo 4 armor returning for Halo 5, from the looks of the Beta trailer.

I'm slightly disappointed. If the crazy designs are returning, I at least hope the skins are more detailed and grittier, and actually look like proper Spartan Plating, rather then plastic. Same thing goes for the visors. Everything about Halo 4 Spartans looks like they're plastic, with faded colors for their skin.

Make the armor look like metal, and the visors look like glass like previous games. Please.

Or you could probably please most people if Spartans looked like what Masterchief did in cutscenes

Game mechanics>literally everything. The rest is fluff. BUT, I personally kinda liked the armor from Halo 4.

klodeckel

Banned
Since a few weeks / lurking for months.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
26 / Germany (aka the guys who will win the world cup)

Of course! Fan since original Steve Jobs announcement.

Online multiplayer.

Big team battle.

My Halo collection has its own vitrine (includes all books, many figurines and so on), so yeah ... Besides Halo I love Conker, Forza, FIFA and Rainbow Six.

Babby Radio
by Wahrer, et al.

The Wu Report
by mastrbiggy

The Saltcast
by juices

Shill, Show, Shill
by Speedy
----

Am I missing any?

Mistel

Banned
I'm really bad at Halo. You know the bit in Natural Born Killers when Juliette Lewis shouts "Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD!" Like that, but worse. If I'm on the opposing team, you're guaranteed some easy kills. Good thing I enjoy the game, I suppose...
Compared to some of the randoms you can't be that bad. You like Inferno?
I like you already. BTB is where all the fun and crazy carnage happens at.
It truly is I wonder if the same could be said if the player count was upped?

Oh hey, HaloGAF.

I think I first made this account back in 07. It just barely got approved maybe a month ago. :\

I've been around since Halo 2, though I didn't seriously start playing until Halo 3.

Multiplayer.

Team Throwback in 3, Team Objective in Reach and CTF which is literally the only thing I bothered playing in 4.

Help us get to know you better.
I had one of the highest winrates in Reach BTB/Objective and played with some of the best players in both games until I ragequit 4.

gAg CruSh3r

Hey, we're back! Yay!

Halo 2 BTB >>>> Halo * BTB
I can't wait to play it again

I agree with you a 110%!

Compared to some of the randoms you can't be that bad. You like Inferno?

It truly is I wonder if the same could be said if the player count was upped?

Me too! I hope they have a Super BTB with 24 players (or 32) and regular BTB with 8v8.

Lets get the whole thread playin'

I agree!

I really can't wait for Halo 2 BTB. That was my bread and butter. The maps for it was so awesome! I can't wait HaloGAF!

antigoon

A couple years I think? I mainly lurked the Weekend Confirmed thread. Have only started posting regularly in the last few months.

I've been a fan since Halo CE's release and have played all of them.

Multiplayer

Team Slayer and Objective with BR starts and no radar. Other favorites include Team Doubles and BTB in Halo 2.

Help us get to know you better.
I spent hundreds of hours in Halo 2 trying to be the next xXxMLG420PROxXx. Now, I just really appreciate competitive multiplayer design and wish the series would go back to its roots. I feel that CE's multiplayer is criminally under-appreciated.

As for the competitive itch, I filled the void created by Reach and 4 with Starcraft II and my current mistress, Dota 2.

Mistel

Banned
Me too! I hope they have a Super BTB with 24 players (or 32) and regular BTB with 8v8.
The key problem that I feel would effect upping the numbers is that it is increasing the number of randoms I mean btb now is a issue in that regard. 32 versus 32 would have that problem on a much larger scale.

Omni

I think I first made this account back in 07. It just barely got approved maybe a month ago. :\.

Eh?

Does anyone else here still play Halo 4 semi regularly? I have a few added already but my friends list is dead these days. Out of 99 friends I'm lucky if I see more than 5 online at a time. Most times it's just 2-3

Omni

I really, really hope 343 resists the urge to increase the player count. 8v8 for big team is perfect.

I'd like to see 12v12. Plus we're getting bigger maps so it could work nicely

I feel any higher would be a clusterfuck with Halo's gameplay. But I guess that's dependant on a lot of things

TheOddOne

I really, really hope 343 resists the urge to increase the player count. 8v8 for big team is perfect.
My guesses: Arena will keep the traditional Halo structure intact, which is small and intimate. BTB will be experimented on, larger spaces and higher player count.

Eh?

Does anyone else here still play Halo 4 semi regularly? I have a few added already but my friends list is dead these days. Out of 99 friends I'm lucky if I see more than 5 online at a time. Most times it's just 2-3
idk. I'm sure I made one in 07. I guess this isn't the one.

My guesses: Arena will keep the traditional Halo structure intact, which is small and intimate. BTB will be experimented on, larger spaces and higher player count.

I could see Arena shooting for somewhere between 2v2 to 6v6, and then "Battlefield" mode shoots for 6v6 to a larger number, maybe 12v12 or 16v16 max.

gAg CruSh3r

The key problem that I feel would effect upping the numbers is that it is increasing the number of randoms I mean btb now is a issue in that regard. 32 versus 32 would have that problem on a much larger scale.

True. I blame Reach's DMR and Halo 4's DMR/LR. The weapons it selfs are really long range weapons that the player can spawn with. The game play becomes more duck and cover then all out brawl.

That's why I enjoy Halo 2's BTB because BR was more mid range then anything else. So more players can get the point A to point B easier with mid range weapons. Then you walk out 5 feet and start getting shot at with long range.

So increasing players won't be bad unless everyone has a long range weapon.

I don't mind long range weapons as long it's a pick up weapon.

Mid range FTW in my opinion.

Edit:
I can't even imagine what it would be like playing CTF in a 16v16 match unless they bring back flag throwing (ACTUAL flag throwing, not juggling) and up the objective carrier speed. We're all positive they're going to remove that silly KILL waypoint from the objective carriers, right? ...right?[/]

God I hope so. I hated the waypoint over the flag carrier. I loved sneaking with the flag back to the base.

I can't even imagine what it would be like playing CTF in a 16v16 match unless they bring back flag throwing (ACTUAL flag throwing, not juggling) and up the objective carrier speed. We're all positive they're going to remove that silly KILL waypoint from the objective carriers, right? ...right?
Oh hey, HaloGAF.

I think I first made this account back in 07. It just barely got approved maybe a month ago. :\

wut. Welcome though :]

Karl2177

I'd like to see 12v12. Plus we're getting bigger maps so it could work nicely

I feel any higher would be a clusterfuck with Halo's gameplay. But I guess that's dependant on a lot of things

12 seems like too much when you think about the numbers. I'll just use Halo 3 for my example, since we have the most information about how its utility weapon works. The Halo 3 BR is almost perfectly accurate on the first bullet of its burst(the max deviation is 0.15 degrees from true center)[1]. The Battle Rifle is at best a 4 shot kill, or in other terms, a 12 projectile kill with the headshot. If we were to assume that every player on one team focused on a single player from the other team, then the lone player would die instantaneously. Surprisingly enough, this isn't as bad as Halo Reach or Halo 4, where only a portion of the team was needed for an instant kill with a spawn weapon.

[1] Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful. http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

it make the scale big battles into random 8vsX battles if the maps are big with no objetives of map control and when your team know who to map control the map its over for the enemy team, you will be slowly bleeding them to death.

12 seems like too much when you think about the numbers. I'll just use Halo 3 for my example, since we have the most information about how its utility weapon works. The Halo 3 BR is almost perfectly accurate on the first bullet of its burst(the max deviation is 0.15 degrees from true center)[1]. The Battle Rifle is at best a 4 shot kill, or in other terms, a 12 projectile kill with the headshot. If we were to assume that every player on one team focused on a single player from the other team, then the lone player would die instantaneously. Surprisingly enough, this isn't as bad as Halo Reach or Halo 4, where only a portion of the team was needed for an instant kill with a spawn weapon.

[1] Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful. http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

One of the things I've considered to alleviate this is that while "Arena" sticks to the original accurate and powerful weapons, "Multiplayer" (all of the big player counts) would pseudo-nerf guns to make teamshooting effective, but not let you annihilate any one person on the enemy team in a single shot from everyone.

One of the things I've considered to alleviate this is that while "Arena" sticks to the original accurate and powerful weapons, "Multiplayer" (all of the big player counts) would pseudo-nerf guns to make teamshooting effective, but not let you annihilate any one person on the enemy team in a single shot from everyone.

It coulbe fixed with bullet travel and damage distance.

Silky

Banned
this thread ain't shit

My copy of Halo 4 doesn't work anymore. I'm stuck wiht 3 and Reach for now. Woe is me.

Top Bottom