• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mistel

Banned
it make the scale big battles into random 8vsX battles if the maps are big with no objetives of map control and when your team know who to map control the map its over for the enemy team, you will be slowly bleeding them to death.
Imagine the spawn killing with a large number of players. Especially if people jump ship midway through.
True. I blame Reach's DMR and Halo 4's DMR/LR. The weapons it selfs are really long range weapons that the player can spawn with. The game play becomes more duck and cover then all out brawl.

That's why I enjoy Halo 2's BTB because BR was more mid range then anything else. So more players can get the point A to point B easier with mid range weapons. Then you walk out 5 feet and start getting shot at with long range.

So increasing players won't be bad unless everyone has a long range weapon.

I don't mind long range weapons as long it's a pick up weapon.

Mid range FTW in my opinion.
Mid range combat is better than having long range from the get go. I think it is more enjoyable compared to long range as you can actually move about the maps instead of hauling up in some part of it.

Karl2177

One of the things I've considered to alleviate this is that while "Arena" sticks to the original accurate and powerful weapons, "Multiplayer" (all of the big player counts) would pseudo-nerf guns to make teamshooting effective, but not let you annihilate any one person on the enemy team in a single shot from everyone.

And now you've introduced the same weapon that functions differently over different playlists. This was a problem with Reach and 4 where unless you stayed up to date with the game, you didn't know what version of the weapon you were getting.

gAg CruSh3r

Mid range combat is better than having long range from the get go. I think it is more enjoyable compared to long range as you can actually move about the maps instead of hauling up in some part of it.

Yes. Yes! Yesssss! That's why Halo 2/3 (Halo 2 was better IMO) was enjoyable in BTB because it was not much camping out in a area unless you have a sniper.

And now you've introduced the same weapon that functions differently over different playlists. This was a problem with Reach and 4 where unless you stayed up to date with the game, you didn't know what version of the weapon you were getting.

I think if they were upfront about it it wouldn't kill everything, especially if they had visual cues or half decent playlist explanations. People have been jumping into MLG with different settings, or hell, even SWAT and zombies, for years and adapting to different base gameplay.

Better than ultra compromise weapons like the Halo 3 BR or default bloom DMR, I think.

I don't mean playlists, I mean a Multiplayer-to-Spartan Ops or Campaign-to-Forge levels of different menu suites. They could have different names, appearances, functionality, whatever - but you'd still spawn with what you'd come to know as "headshot-capable precision firearm."

Pennybags

Here's a random thought. How many people would like to have the Halo 3 Beta versions of Valhalla, Snowbound, and High Ground in the MCC?

That reminds me: Would be a neat little thing to have some of the graphical effects (shiny visors, etc.) that were present in the beta reinstated for MCC H3.

I think if they were upfront about it it wouldn't kill everything, especially if they had visual cues or half decent playlist explanations. People have been jumping into MLG with different settings, or hell, even SWAT and zombies, for years and adapting to different base gameplay.

Better than ultra compromise weapons like the Halo 3 BR or default bloom DMR, I think.

Completely agree. I think that Halo devs have been babying fans for too many years now, and many fans even accept it. Look at people complaing about a Pistol being strong and that it gives off the wrong impression to players because it's a small weapon.

I'm tired of devs trying to make the shooting mechanics in a shooting game subpar instead of changing the design elsewhere. Why do the weapons need to be nerfed instead of decreasing the hand-holding of the aim assist and slow movement options? Default Thrusters could help with this, a more responsive strafe, faster movement speed, better jump, etc. etc. -- It's similar to how they messed with the damage of each individual weapon when dual wielded instead of tweaking other settings like recoil or accuracy.

When you "dumb down" the main thing in a shooting game (the actual shooting of weapons lol), I believe players are subconsciously turned off by that and soon turn their attention elsewhere. Eugn brought up a great example of MLG; sure the population was never massive compared to other playlists, but players knew what they were getting into from one playlist to the next.

ALSO, let's not forget how we've been wanting more details on the pregame lobby screen anyway. This can easily be shown before a match or by highlighting any given playlist. Either way, we definitely don't need another Halo 3 BR or full bloom Reach DMR.

Booties

Banned
http://www.twitch.tv/ninja

NInja Streaming Halo 2.

I was wondering, it would be sweet if Halo 5 Guardians, or at least the MP, was also sold as an add on to the MCC. That way you literally have every MC Halo game under one roof still.

It would be awesome if games always came with download codes at least for the multiplayer. This way I could switch between shooters easier.

aarcane

Compared to some of the randoms you can't be that bad. You like Inferno?

I haven't played any of the Halo games online for months so I haven't a clue how I compare to the randoms. At least, I hope I'm not that bad. Can't wait to find out how CE and Halo 2 play online, I've only ever played those on local split-screen.

I love Inferno slightly more than I love Suspiria, which is a lot. Probably best not to mention Mother of Tears, though. I prefer to imagine Argento never finished the Three Mothers trilogy.

TheOddOne

I could see Arena shooting for somewhere between 2v2 to 6v6, and then "Battlefield" mode shoots for 6v6 to a larger number, maybe 12v12 or 16v16 max.
A more Battlefield like BTB kind of makes sense in regards to adding something new to the game and fresh to appease new players. I think we will see some major retooling there. Not just size and player count, but also increase in vehicles usage and even small to large scale destruction. A lot of casual players—I don’t mean that in a wrong way—and media usually gravitate to BTB and that mode will most likely be the first thing they talk about pre and after release. Experimentation with that mode seems like a given at this point. It would be interesting if they also offered a more classic BTB down the line, but be sure they are going to push their version of Next Generation Big Team Battle.

A more Battlefield like BTB kind of makes sense in regards to adding something new to the game and fresh to appease new players. I think we will see some major retooling there. Not just size and player count, but also increase in vehicles usage and even small to large scale destruction. A lot of casual players—I don’t mean that in a wrong way—and media usually gravitate to BTB and that mode will most likely be the first thing they talk about pre and after release. Experimentation with that mode seems like a given at this point. It would be interesting if they also offered a more classic BTB down the line, but be sure they are going to push their version of Next Generation Big Team Battle.

There are two things I can see becoming big this generation: emphasis on a split between competitive arena gameplay and casual large-scale gameplay, first off. It could basically become the ranked / social split of the generation where level-based unlocks, larger more baroque sandboxes, vehicle combat, etc. dominate large-scale gameplay, and then on the flipside "arena mode" is more of an intimate, one-on-one and teamplay-fueled experience with smaller player counts. Second, the notion of fine-tuning concepts into more minimal functional suites, but with the ability to customize them substantially in alternative modes: SSB4's already sort of doing this with character customization, for example.

nillapuddin

Have we thought too hard about the intro sequence of the beta trailer yet?

Do we anticipate a new initial spawn/respawning mechanic in the vein of those Spartans thrusting themselves into battle?

TheOddOne

There are two things I can see becoming big this generation: emphasis on a split between competitive arena gameplay and casual large-scale gameplay, first off. It could basically become the ranked / social split of the generation where level-based unlocks, larger more baroque sandboxes, vehicle combat, etc. dominate large-scale gameplay, and then on the flipside "arena mode" is more of an intimate, one-on-one and teamplay-fueled experience with smaller player counts. Second, the notion of fine-tuning concepts into more minimal functional suites, but with the ability to customize them substantially in alternative modes: SSB4's already sort of doing this with character customization, for example.
And to add to that, people really did not complain much about the BTB maps but more the game mechanics breaking the sandbox. Fix that and add everything you posted above seems like an logical way to progress that mode. Even though, I will hate it in the end because it almost feels like another game.

Do we anticipate a new initial spawn/respawning mechanic in the vein of those Spartans thrusting themselves into battle?

Considered this too; could be very interesting. Remember one of the first videos of Halo 4 where the Spartan was spawning and it looked like they were able to control before they spawned in the map? Maybe they were testing it with Halo 4 but ended up saving it for Halo 5.

If they do increase the player count for BTB, it would be cool to drop into battle like ODST's.

nillapuddin

Considered this too, could be very interesting. Remember one of the first videos of Halo 4 where the Spartan was spawning and it looked like they were able to control before they spawned in the map? Maybe they were testing it with Halo 4 but ended up saving it for Halo 5.

If they do increase the player count for BTB, it would be cool to drop into battle like ODST's.

Just like we were talking about alternative movement pools have become prevalent, you could say the same of initial spawning, section 8, titanfall, R6, etc

It doesn't detract from the gameplay, and it eases the transition between game lobby, prematch gathering of Doritos and mountain dew, and actual gameplay

Mistel

Banned
I haven't played any of the Halo games online for months so I haven't a clue how I compare to the randoms. At least, I hope I'm not that bad. Can't wait to find out how CE and Halo 2 play online, I've only ever played those on local split-screen.

I love Inferno slightly more than I love Suspiria, which is a lot. Probably best not to mention Mother of Tears, though. I prefer to imagine Argento never finished the Three Mothers trilogy.
Fair point. With some practice I'm sure you'll be fine. I've got a similar stance with Three mother Inferno is my favorite Suspiria follows a tad behind. Mother of tears is just well ugh.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I hope not. Maybe a spawning animation, at most. I hated the Grifball maps where you spawn in a box and teleport into the map.

Just like we were talking about alternative movement pools have become prevalent, you could say the same of initial spawning, section 8, titanfall, R6, etc

It doesn't detract from the gameplay, and it eases the transition between game lobby, prematch gathering of Doritos and mountain dew, and actual gameplay
Titanfall's initial spawning system is awesome. I'd LOVE to see something like that for the beginning of each match.

Customs are always the most fun, but it's also pretty great to shit on another team full of kids who scream the meanest things that their little pea brains can think of.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's gonna be fun playing with you guys again.

Customs are always the most fun, but it's also pretty great to shit on another team full of kids who scream the meanest things that their little pea brains can think of.

I'm still waiting on that guy who said Bravo's hammer would rain down upon me.

So much new blood, welcome folks.

Is it possible to have all of HaloGaf on some sort of combined friends list on Xbox One?

I dont have one yet and have no idea how it works

Rev3rb

Dat UI. I miss it. We need the Active Roster back.

I'm still surprised to this day why 343 didn't just take what was already developed in Active Roster, drop it in Halo 4, and add some new features.

Hopefully it makes a return (in some form) in H5.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I live for Halo 2's BTB.

And customs... but mainly BTB.

I see tons of people getting excited for Halo 2 BTB. I must admit, Halo 2 BTB was my favorite of the Halo games. Coag, Containment, Relic, Terminal, Zanzibar, etc... With that said, I'm actually more excited, to be able to get into lag free games of CE BTB. Playing against XB1 controller players and not mouse and keyboard kids, is going to be amazing. Sidewinder, Blood Gulch(I don't really like BG to be honest), Danger Canyon, Gephyrophobia, Timberland, Infinity, etc.... It's going to be amazing.

I'm still really excited for some Halo 2 BTB. 1 sided OBJ on Relic, Gulch Wars on Coag, Neutral Flag on Waterworks, 2 flag on Containment, assault on Zanzibar, even BTB territories on Terminal is amazing.

This collection can't come soon enough.... BTB is back.... :.)

There are so many gems in that video.

This is by far, one of the funniest encounters I've ever seen in a halo game. I can't stop laughing, the no homo remake was fucking perfect.
Short list, ripped from my youtube comment:

1:20 "You smell like syrup!"
3:25 "What state you from?" NEW YORK STATE
4:30 "Are you Gay? Whaddyou Canadian?"- ("Gay people don't eat lunch, it's true")
4:50 "The government will erase your whole fucking face!"
5:35 "Your son gonna be a bitch because gur-ugh bitch!"
6:00 "I will kill and walk the park" ("Will you take your dog... to the park?")
7:00 "OH MY God kill yourself!!"
8:32 "You smell like sour cream"
8:40 "Yo, the behind of yo neck is black"

Top Bottom